If Everyone Lived Up To Their Potential How Would The Positional Rankings Look (NBA)

eek.gif

roll.gif
@ the MJ comparison

There wouldn't be any 2nd round virgin jokes for T-Mac or Melo, especially T-Mac. Son could've been having memorable wars with Kobe in the West.

NBAdraft.net just lost all credibility with that comparison.. How they compare him to jordan? Smh

Who was really expecting OJ Mayo to be that good?

I never in my life heard someone say they thought he would ever be Kobe good. Maybe when he was like 16 in the 8th grade but by his senior year that hype died down.

Originally Posted by NiceLikeChrist

My dude T-Mac would be running this thing. Kobe who?

/thread. My favorite player of all time. I love him for what he has done on the court but I also hate him for what he hasn't done off the court. 

Mike Beasley would be starting in the All-Star game, and a MVP contender
Rudy Gay would be an All-Star 

Joe Alexander would be getting PT for the Bucks 

People have gotten too comfortable with saying extremely athletic players have potential. The mental aspect is equally important, and it's not something that just comes out of nowhere. Mcgee can jump high, but he probably also has the lowest IQ in the game, and in that sense his "potential" is overstated.

NBA Comparison: Michael Jordan

Strengths: Special player. Extremly gifted athlete. Great ball handler. Very advanced shooter and scorer for his age. A showstopper. Can play the 1 or 2. Won the McDonald's High School dunk contest. Super character. As NBA ready as any HS player in his class.

Weaknesses: Tries to do too much at times. Learning how to be a consumate team player, something his idol Kobe still must learn himself. Gets criticized for being too fancy, still has alot of basketball to learn.

oh the humanity.

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

Who was really expecting OJ Mayo to be that good?

I never in my life heard someone say they thought he would ever be Kobe good. Maybe when he was like 16 in the 8th grade but by his senior year that hype died down.

Henzo did
nerd.gif

surprised nobody said Penny/Grant Hill would be top 5 (at their respective positions)

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Double J,

Why do you feel McGee's potential is higher than Dwights?

I don't, which is why I said this:

Not saying these guys like McGee/Melo are better than dudes like D12 or Lebron....but IMO, both guys SHOULD be better.

Originally Posted by MeloManFan

Vince Carter would be the greatest player to ever play this game. The amount of physical talent he had was bonkers. Big hands, nasty vertical leap, amazing body control. If he worked as hard as KB or MJ he would have been better than both of them imo.
QFT!!! 
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif

Sheed and Odom would have been two of the greatest PF ever. TMAC would have been a better player than Kobe and probably have a few rings.

Y'all might think I'm crazy but if we're talking greatest potential I think Shaq and Lebron would be 1a and 1b for me. As great of a career as Shaq had, he was so physically dominant that if he had had the work ethic to stay in good shape and hit his free throws he could have put up 30+ and 20 for a long stretch of his career. As it was he was so skilled and athletic even when he wasn't in the best of shape. Look at Bynum right now hes tge 2nd best big man in the league and able to outmuscle most guys in the post; Shaq was 30 lbs heavier and 10 times more mobile. Phil Jackson once told him early on in his coaching tenure that Shaq should be able to win 10 straight MVP awards, and I really don't think that's as big of a stretch as it sounds.

As far as Bron goes I think if he had the same mentality as a Jordan, Kobe, or even Wade (and a better team around him than the Cavs had) he would already have a couple championships at least. Look how he took that sorry $%% Cavs team to the Finals at such a young age, and how he scored 25 straight pts against the Pistons in the playoffs that year. Even hough he's having one of the most efficient seasons ever this year, part of me wishes he still had his own team so we could see him display his individual greatness more often. When he's actually assertive he is one of the most unstoppable offensive players I've ever seen, but he seems too content to coast or defer and take a backseat at times. I still think he has it in him to average 35-10-10 for a season, just not playing alongside Wade.

Originally Posted by show time 96

Originally Posted by FinallyFamous

POTENTIAL wise Mayo was looked at as Kobe 2.0 in a lot of people's minds... So it makes sense that he would dominate given the potential...
No he wasn't
laugh.gif
 OJ mayo was made out to be more than what he really was by the media ( like the Baby Lebron talk early in his HS days 
eek.gif

laugh.gif
)
Juice is a good / average athlete & is 6-4 with no Point guard skills so he celling wasn't much higher than what it is right now a  good NBA player

a 41 inch vert is a lil better than good/average athleticism i would think

Originally Posted by eashawty

Originally Posted by show time 96

Originally Posted by FinallyFamous

POTENTIAL wise Mayo was looked at as Kobe 2.0 in a lot of people's minds... So it makes sense that he would dominate given the potential...
No he wasn't
laugh.gif
 OJ mayo was made out to be more than what he really was by the media ( like the Baby Lebron talk early in his HS days 
eek.gif

laugh.gif
)
Juice is a good / average athlete & is 6-4 with no Point guard skills so he celling wasn't much higher than what it is right now a  good NBA player

a 41 inch vert is a lil better than good/average athleticism i would think
Jordan Farmar posted a 40 inch vertical at the combine. I wouldn't read too much into those numbers.
Based on what WE SEE watching the games...Juice is a GOOD athlete. Certainly not in the pantheon category. 

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

Lebron James with Kobe's mind and work ethic. 
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
30t6p3b.gif
Would be a PROBLEM 
sick.gif

But imagine Kobe with a better bench and/or Shaq staying a couple more years

He would have had at least 2 more rings.

Bill Walker anyone? His high school athleticism was
sick.gif

I had the chance to watch the greyhounds (mayo and walkers aau team) play several times, that team ways filthy.

Back
Top Bottom