If Everyone Lived Up To Their Potential How Would The Positional Rankings Look (NBA)

If Everyone Lived Up To Their Potential How Would The Positional Rankings Look (NBA)
I ask because it bothers me when people say, "If so and so worked hard and lived up to his potential he would be a top _ player." I have heard this used for players like Odom, Tim Thomas, and JR Smith. I always think it is a gross exaggeration whenever someone makes the statement. Why not just say that person would just be better.
But answer the question if you will.

greg_oden__blazers_sad.jpg

not sure, but both the Clippers & Knicks on paper are ridiculous.

Not saying these guys like McGee/Melo are better than dudes like D12 or Lebron....but IMO, both guys SHOULD be better. At least there's hope for McGee. I think
laugh.gif

Odom on the other hand...dude could have been GREAT.

Current NBA'ers...

C - Javale McGee
PF - Odom
SF - Carmelo Anthony
SG - JR Smith
PG - Baron Davis

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Not saying these guys like McGee/Melo are better than dudes like D12 or Lebron....but IMO, both guys SHOULD be better. At least there's hope for McGee. I think
laugh.gif

Odom on the other hand...dude could have been GREAT.

Current NBA'ers...

C - Javale McGee
PF - Odom
SF - Carmelo Anthony
SG - JR Smith
PG - Baron Davis
New York Knicks, what could have been...

Vince Carter would be the greatest player to ever play this game. The amount of physical talent he had was bonkers. Big hands, nasty vertical leap, amazing body control. If he worked as hard as KB or MJ he would have been better than both of them imo.

LeBron would still be the best player in basketball by a large margin.

POTENTIAL wise Mayo was looked at as Kobe 2.0 in a lot of people's minds... So it makes sense that he would dominate given the potential...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

LeBron would still be the best player in basketball by a large margin.
At first I read this and was like, wait, Bron hasn't lived up to potential?
laugh.gif

Then I learned my ABCs and read it correctly.

Originally Posted by FinallyFamous

POTENTIAL wise Mayo was looked at as Kobe 2.0 in a lot of people's minds... So it makes sense that he would dominate given the potential...
No he wasn't
laugh.gif
 OJ mayo was made out to be more than what he really was by the media ( like the Baby Lebron talk early in his HS days 
eek.gif

laugh.gif
)
Juice is a good / average athlete & is 6-4 with no Point guard skills so he celling wasn't much higher than what it is right now a  good NBA player

Originally Posted by show time 96

Originally Posted by FinallyFamous

No he wasn't
laugh.gif
 OJ mayo was made out to be more than what he really was by the media ( like Baby Lebron talk early in HS 
eek.gif

laugh.gif
)
Juice is a good / average athlete & is 6-4 with no Point guard skills so he celling wasn't much higher than what it is right now a  good NBA player

Yes he certainly was.. Never bought into it but that's what the word was back then

The argument is pointless because "potential," as it pertains to athlete performance, is arbitrary. This is where expectations get confused with potential. If a player doesn't fulfill our expectations, then we decide he didn't reach his potential. Well, based on what rubric? And what if that player was never meant to be more than whatever he turned out to be? It's a lot more than just physical gifts. We have no way of knowing the mental state of these guys. That's as much a part of the whole package as whatever God gifted them physically.

[h2][/h2]
[h2]0 - DeShawn Stevenson[/h2]

deshawn_stevenson-hd.jpg

• Birthday: 4/3/81
  • NBA Position: Shooting Guard
  • Class: HS Senior
  • Ht: 6-5
  • Wt: 210
  • Hometown: Fresno, CA
  • High School: Washington Union

attribute_banner_SG.gif

Overall

NBA Comparison: Michael Jordan

Strengths: Special player. Extremly gifted athlete. Great ball handler. Very advanced shooter and scorer for his age. A showstopper. Can play the 1 or 2. Won the McDonald's High School dunk contest. Super character. As NBA ready as any HS player in his class.

Weaknesses: Tries to do too much at times. Learning how to be a consumate team player, something his idol Kobe still must learn himself. Gets criticized for being too fancy, still has alot of basketball to learn.

Back
Top Bottom