I told my landlord the house needed some reapirs and she told me I had to move.

OP where in MD are you? I live in upper fells point (in the process of moving out though)

Honestly replace the light yourself and buy some drain-o. The mold though that is a big deal. That needs to be looked at. I share in your anger though i hate lazy landlords. Like if you don't want to deal with these issues then don't be a landlord.

My girls landlord has written in lease that the carpets need to be professionally cleaned by Stanley Steamer at the end of the lease. I asked if i could get another company to do it that doesn't use harsh chemicals (that was her reasoning for it having to be Stanley Steamer) and she said no...then i get a quote from them and its $500 for the whole place. She is also making her paint the walls back to a neutral color because they are a light blue and she wants them back to eggshell. It is going to cost her/us so much just to move out when my girl has been there for 3 years and has never once asked the landlord for a thing.

There should be services in your city that address this problem like a tenant union. The next update I want to see is what active steps you took or who you contacted

If you had signed a lease and it states you accepted it in its current condition there might not be much you could do. If you really want I guess you could stay until she files a notice of eviction.

No. Certain things like running water and no mold MUST be taken care of by the landlord, or they can't even legally rent it out. Current condition or not. She has to evict, which may or may not be hard depending on the state. She does, however, have to go through a process with the court and then he will be given at least 30 days to go. I would document everything, take pics, get it in writing, etc. then move out and take her to court.

I hate these types of landlords. There are tons of them ever since the mid 2000s when all of these @$$holes decided that they could become real estate moguls by financing a house and renting it without any experience or backup funds. If you don't have at least 10k per house readily available at all times in the bank for repairs, you have zero business even considering being a landlord.

OP where in MD are you? I live in upper fells point (in the process of moving out though)

Honestly replace the light yourself and buy some drain-o. The mold though that is a big deal. That needs to be looked at. I share in your anger though i hate lazy landlords. Like if you don't want to deal with these issues then don't be a landlord.

My girls landlord has written in lease that the carpets need to be professionally cleaned by Stanley Steamer at the end of the lease. I asked if i could get another company to do it that doesn't use harsh chemicals (that was her reasoning for it having to be Stanley Steamer) and she said no...then i get a quote from them and its $500 for the whole place. She is also making her paint the walls back to a neutral color because they are a light blue and she wants them back to eggshell. It is going to cost her/us so much just to move out when my girl has been there for 3 years and has never once asked the landlord for a thing.

Did you guys paint the walls the light blue color? If so it doesn't sound unreasonable for the LL to want it painted back to a neutral color

Did you guys paint the walls the light blue color? If so it doesn't sound unreasonable for the LL to want it painted back to a neutral color

I don't think its unfair per say but no the old room mates that moved out a year ago painted that room. I know my gf is kind of screwed with it since she can't really hit up the old room mates and be like hey come back from Houston and paint this room or give me money for the paint service...I guess technically she could but if the roommates say no she is obligated by the lease to deal with it herself.

Just a downside to renting

You could go to your local civil court and sue for repairs and possibly a rent abatement.

I'm on my phone but a quick search pulled up this:

https://www.peoples-law.org/dealing-conflicts-landlord-and-filing-suit

In NY this would be known as an "HP" suit -- suing your landlord so that they conduct repairs.

Stop listening to people who tell you to do repairs yourself. You could be liable for any damage you cause in the course of those repairs. Imagine if you changed the lights and it led to a problem with the electricity in the entire building that requires replacing or if the wiring causes a fire.

And アミーゴ アミーゴ stop making the block hot.

I laugh at renters hahahahahaha.......

I rent to. Landlord is great the super is a lazy *****. We have to get up out of this renter mentality and own. It can't be this way.

If you had signed a lease and it states you accepted it in its current condition there might not be much you could do. If you really want I guess you could stay until she files a notice of eviction.

No. Certain things like running water and no mold MUST be taken care of by the landlord, or they can't even legally rent it out. Current condition or not. She has to evict, which may or may not be hard depending on the state. She does, however, have to go through a process with the court and then he will be given at least 30 days to go. I would document everything, take pics, get it in writing, etc. then move out and take her to court.

I hate these types of landlords. There are tons of them ever since the mid 2000s when all of these @$$holes decided that they could become real estate moguls by financing a house and renting it without any experience or backup funds. If you don't have at least 10k per house readily available at all times in the bank for repairs, you have zero business even considering being a landlord.

If you had signed a lease and it states you accepted it in its current condition

Again, if he accepted it as is then there is not much he could do

^ that's not true at all.

There's a warranty of habitability. It can't be waived.

Last edited:
Mold is a health issue though. Nobody signs up for mold in their apartment no matter if they didn't see it. Contact a lawyer or tenant union and of course paper trails

Hey nako xl nako xl are there any tips you could provide in trying to break a lease because of a new job opportunity? Or am I screwed in having to either pay the entire lease?

Back
Top Bottom