"I play when I want to play." Will that quote taint Randy Moss' legacy?

There is no question that Randy Moss is the most physically gifted WR to ever play in the NFL. However, by his own admission he only plays when he "wantsto." Not to mention that he is routinely caught loafing through his routes and not giving his all after every snap. Are these things that will taintRandy Moss' legacy? I mean, how much do you weigh a player's work ethic in the grand scheme of things? Say what you want about T.O., but you willnever hear about him NOT working hard both on and off the field. That is one of the reasons why I think that T.O. has been the better WR of the two thisseason (but that's another debate). I think that anyone who considers Moss to be the GOAT is crazy. Jerry Rice wasn't blessed with the athleticism ofMoss, but his heart, desire, and work ethic were never in question. Of course Moss will be in Canton, but I think the debate in actually considering him thebest of all time is asinine. Would analysts actually key in on every nuance of Moss' game if he never uttered his famous quote about playing when he wantsto? Of course there are other players who loaf, but I feel the scrutiny is totally warranted on Moss. Does anyone else feel the same way, of am I way offbase?

At the end of the day, the numbers will speak for themselves.

In the long run, people might mention it, but, they won't make a big deal out of it.

Look at this season. Nobody is really saying anything.

IMO yes. I watched him when he was on the raiders and when things aren't goin right he doesn't even try..and it costs his team. His athleticism and WRskills are unquestionable but because of that he will NEVER be the WR Jerry Rice ever was. And I'd take T.O. before him anyday..call me crazy but T.O. putsit out on the field 100% even if he's causin a ruckus off the field

Randy Moss' legacy is forever tainted for me by the fanboys of Niketalk. Never in my life have I seen so much e-fellatio in one place. I understand havinga favorite player and someone you admire. These fools are almost on some stalker-type status - they know Randy's favorite toilet paper, his favoriteplants, where his bedroom is in his house. I wouldn't be surprised if they saw Randy walking down the street and immediately dropped to their knees with asmile on their face saying "present them Mr. Moss."

LOL.

Questions and thoughts for days....

I got a lot on my mind
roll.gif

but S4L, what's your take on Moss?

Randy Moss' legacy is forever tainted for me by the fanboys of Niketalk. Never in my life have I seen so much e-fellatio in one place. I understand having a favorite player and someone you admire. These fools are almost on some stalker-type status - they know Randy's favorite toilet paper, his favorite plants, where his bedroom is in his house. I wouldn't be surprised if they saw Randy walking down the street and immediately dropped to their knees with a smile on their face saying "present them Mr. Moss."

laugh.gif

I don't know how anybody can question Randy Moss's work ethic. He use to train with Cris Carter and we all know how tough his off-season work-outs canbe and the work he put in.

You don't put up the type of numbers that he does without putting in work.

Plus a ring wipes out everything....

It won't matter. He will still be in the Hall.

I think that it won't because people will forget if he keeps playing like he is in NE.

that quote was blown out of proportion imo.

as everyone else stated, he's a surefire first ballot hall of famer. that infamous quote has no bearing on how he's going to be judged when he hangshis cleats up. i just wish he would've never went to the black and silver, i consider those the lost years and have erased them from my memory. myrecollection of randy consists of #84 and #81 not #18.
roll.gif

Like I said, there is no doubt that he will make it to the hall, but I will almost guarantee that some of the issues with his laziness on the field will bebrought up when talking about who was the BEST WR of all-time. I mean his time in Oakland, people would like to give him a pass for. I can't do that. There are some good WR's in the league who are making the best of bad situations like Steve Smith and Torry Holt. I just can't buy a lot of theexcuses Moss had while in Oakland. You are a professional, so you sometimes have to make the best out of a bad situation.

They were talking about it on espn today about him taking plays off and how thats the rest these last couple of games for the pats have been close.

Originally Posted by K8be wan Kenobi

You can't be the GOAT and say something like "I play when I want to play", especially when your stats still will not be touching Rice's when your career is over. He just doesn't have the leeway for him to have said something like that.

well, after this yr mossome will have a ring and broke rice' all time td record. he's still got AT LEAST 5 more years of domination left in thetank. probably more since he's a finesse wr and doesn't take a beating as much as some other wr's.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Like I said, there is no doubt that he will make it to the hall, but I will almost guarantee that some of the issues with his laziness on the field will be brought up when talking about who was the BEST WR of all-time. I mean his time in Oakland, people would like to give him a pass for. I can't do that. There are some good WR's in the league who are making the best of bad situations like Steve Smith and Torry Holt. I just can't buy a lot of the excuses Moss had while in Oakland. You are a professional, so you sometimes have to make the best out of a bad situation.
That is true, but he did play under Art Shell and a former Bread & Breakfast manager OC.

They were trying to win games using a 90's playbook. That offense was inept under Shell & Co. to say the least.

I'd give Moss a pass in that instance.

Originally Posted by J RAIN 23

well, after this yr mossome will have a ring and broke rice' all time td record. he's still got AT LEAST 5 more dominant years left in the tank.

22 TD's in 12 games didn't get broken.
And he hasn't won a ring yet.
Don't get ahead of yourself.

Originally Posted by S4L3

I don't know how anybody can question Randy Moss's work ethic. He use to train with Cris Carter and we all know how tough his off-season work-outs can be and the work he put in.

You don't put up the type of numbers that he does without putting in work.

Plus a ring wipes out everything....

thats true shoes but i dont think his offseason work ehic is in question is how he does on the field when balls ant been throwing his way or his teamsucks

Originally Posted by J RAIN 23

Originally Posted by K8be wan Kenobi

You can't be the GOAT and say something like "I play when I want to play", especially when your stats still will not be touching Rice's when your career is over. He just doesn't have the leeway for him to have said something like that.

well, after this yr mossome will have a ring and broke rice' all time td record. he's still got AT LEAST 5 more years of domination left in the tank. probably more since he's a finesse wr and doesn't take a beating as much as some other wr's.

randy has like 17 TDs right now... through 12 games. Rice had 22 in that same span, the strike shortened his ability to set the bar higher.

Moss will have to get 30 before i consider it more amazing than Rice's season

you need to release your strangehold of that mans groin

IMO yes. I watched him when he was on the raiders and when things aren't goin right he doesn't even try..and it costs his team.
When Randy was here, the Raiders sucked. It wasnt his fault that they were bad. How do you expect him to be an impact player when he cant getthe ball? As many of those games that i watched and went to, the problem wasnt Randy, the problem was the O-Line. If your line cant block, then your receivers(especially the downfield threats) will be ineffective....thus, two disappointing seasons in Oakland for Randy.

As far as the comment goes... athletes say stupid things all the time. We dont watch them to hear what they have to say about a particular situation, we watchthem to see them perform superhuman feats on the field/court.

Probably, but I think Moss will fit into the context of the new modern athlete, who has wealth and fame and doesn't care about much else. At the end of theday, he will be another one from this era.

The mooning and walking off the field early, not to mention sandbagging it in Oakland don't help him much either.

No question he has the talent and when put in the right situation he's the best WR in the league. However I don't think he will ever be considered thebest WR of all time, not just because of numbers, but because you know Rice never took plays off and was one of the hardest workers in the NFL. With all thatsaid Moss has some years left to put himself in the discussion as one of the greatest.

Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy

Randy Moss' legacy is forever tainted for me by the fanboys of Niketalk. Never in my life have I seen so much e-fellatio in one place. I understand having a favorite player and someone you admire. These fools are almost on some stalker-type status - they know Randy's favorite toilet paper, his favorite plants, where his bedroom is in his house. I wouldn't be surprised if they saw Randy walking down the street and immediately dropped to their knees with a smile on their face saying "present them Mr. Moss."

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

As i wrote in the previous Moss thread, Moss saying "i play when i want to play" was overblown by the media. I read the original article, it was byour local (MN) writer. The writer later came out and admitted (and so did Moss, even tho he never cares what anyone thinks) that he was saying when he wants toturn it on and really burn, he can and no one will stop him. It was never a clear "Hey when i want to try I will try whenever i want" like everyonelikes to use now against him like he is some baby.

But with Moss' rep no one wants to pay attention to those details, and he makes his own bed with other side stuff so ehhhh....

At any rate Moss is one of the biggest mismatches in the history of football. He has a decade of entire defenses scheming to take him out. He is about to be apart of the two highest scoring offenses of all time (98 Vikings, 07 Pats). The man is one of the greats of all time, even with his flaws.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

There is no question that Randy Moss is the most physically gifted WR to ever play in the NFL. However, by his own admission he only plays when he "wants to." Not to mention that he is routinely caught loafing through his routes and not giving his all after every snap. Are these things that will taint Randy Moss' legacy? I mean, how much do you weigh a player's work ethic in the grand scheme of things? Say what you want about T.O., but you will never hear about him NOT working hard both on and off the field. That is one of the reasons why I think that T.O. has been the better WR of the two this season (but that's another debate). I think that anyone who considers Moss to be the GOAT is crazy. Jerry Rice wasn't blessed with the athleticism of Moss, but his heart, desire, and work ethic were never in question. Of course Moss will be in Canton, but I think the debate in actually considering him the best of all time is asinine. Would analysts actually key in on every nuance of Moss' game if he never uttered his famous quote about playing when he wants to? Of course there are other players who loaf, but I feel the scrutiny is totally warranted on Moss. Does anyone else feel the same way, of am I way off base?

I'm sure everyone will hold the quote over him for ever and ever but I happen to be one of those who beleives that he is going to go down as the goat. I don't beleive that because i like watching him today, or when he was a rookie or any of that, I simply beleive it from watchin him since his days incollege. The man is just different. Everybody knows that and it shows. I don't remember Montana or Young heaving the ball 50 yards into double or triplecoverage to Rice, yet I've seen Cunningham, George, Duante, Kerry, and Tom all do it ROUTINELY. I saw the 99 draft when the Packers drafted like 3CB's to help them against Moss. I saw Denver load up after Moss went to Oak. I expect to see a few CB's drafted by the Phins, Jets, and Bills nextyear. I don't question Rice's ethic. I know dude was nuts. I know Randy is lazy sometimes, and doesn't go all out every play. But, on the flipside of that, what if he did go all out every play and never quit and kept his mouth shut? What would his game and his career numbers look like then? They'd be stupid.
eek.gif

That's just my honest opinion on the guy. I'm not a rider, just like to watch great players. He happens to be one of them.

Back
Top Bottom