I know I'm not an NT Detective...but I think I Delonte West just got bagged last night for a gun

roll.gif

The thing that makes it all even stranger...is that he was by himself...so it wasn't like he was with some other dudes out doing dumb *$%%. He was just outand about by himself with a shotty in the guitar case.

Delonte does struggle with bi-polar disorder. I think it's important for him to get back around the team again for some structure. It was key for him lastyear.

Apparently his dad seems to be hinting that Delonte was worried about someone and protecting himself.

Cavaliers Guard Arrested In Md.

West Charged With Carrying Handguns

By Matt Zapotosky
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, September 19, 2009

A D.C. area native-turned-NBA player was arrested in Prince George's County on Thursday after a police officer who pulled him over on the Beltway found that he was carrying three loaded guns, authorities said.

Delonte West, 26, a graduate of Greenbelt's Eleanor Roosevelt High School and a guard for the Cleveland Cavaliers, was traveling north on the Beltway in a three-wheeled motorcycle called a Can-Am Spyder when he cut off a Prince George's canine officer near Route 214, authorities said. The officer pulled over West for making an "unsafe lane change," police said, and when the officer approached the motorcycle, West told him he had a handgun in his waistband.

That prompted the officer to call for backup and search West's vehicle. He found three guns -- a Beretta 9mm in West's waistband, a Ruger .357 magnum strapped to his leg and a shotgun in a guitar case slung over his back, said Maj. Andy Ellis, a spokesman for the Prince George's police.

Police charged West with two criminal counts of carrying a handgun for the Ruger and the Beretta, and issued him a traffic citation for driving "in excess of reasonable and prudent speed," court records show. Ellis said West was within his rights to carry the shotgun.

It is not clear why West was so heavily armed or why he was traveling alone in the Largo area at 10 p.m. on a Thursday, Ellis said. West's father, Dmitri West, said, "All I can say is Delonte was looking behind his back and protecting himself." He said his son was looking out for both specific people and because he was generally concerned about his well-being as a high-profile athlete. He declined to say who might be targeting the NBA star.

"Bottom line is there's a lot of not-too-nice people out here," Dmitri West said.

Ellis said he did not know what, if anything, West said to the officers who arrested him. But he said West "was very cooperative the entire time."

Police arrested West and seized his guns and his motorcycle, Ellis said. He was released from jail early Friday on his personal recognizance, court records show. He is scheduled to appear in court Nov. 20.

No one answered the door at West's home in Brandywine, and no one returned a written message left there seeking a comment. Cavaliers General Manager Danny Ferry released a statement saying: "We are aware of the situation and take this matter very seriously. We have been in communication with Delonte and his family. We are gathering more information and will not have further comment until the appropriate time."

West was named The Post's All-Met Player of the Year in 2001 after his senior season at Eleanor Roosevelt. He went on to play three seasons at Saint Joseph's and turned professional after teaming with back-court mate Jameer Nelson to lead the Hawks to a 30-2 record and a region final appearance in the 2004 NCAA tournament. He was drafted 24th overall by the Boston Celtics in 2004 and was traded to the Cavaliers after the 2006-07 season.

West recently got married and purchased a $1.05 million home in Fort Washington. He missed several games for the Cavaliers last season with a broken wrist, but was a contributor in the team's run to the Eastern Conference finals.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...802528_pf.html

I kind of don't buy that whole "scared about some specific bad people" story. If you are that scared for your life, you don't go ridingaround dolo with a bunch of guns.

All these athletes who keep getting arrested with guns should just move to the South. Dudes drive around here with them displayed on the back windows of theirtrucks. Hell, apparently in Arizona you can just walk around with the A.R in plain sight

tired.gif

What the hell was he thinkin ridin around with all that heat on a motorcycle.
Especially a THREE wheeled one with a guitar case strapped to your back.

I was reading about this in the WaPo today...here's a quote from his dad:

"All I can say is Delonte was looking behind his back and protecting himself." He said his son was looking out for both specific people and because he was generally concerned about his well-being as a high-profile athlete. He declined to say who might be targeting the NBA star.
"Bottom line is there's a lot of not-too-nice people out here," Dmitri West said

Link

My thing is this...if you are concerned about your well-being as a high-profile athlete like his dad said, then why travel around in a 3-wheeled motorcyclewith a guitar case on your $*%$**$ back which is gonna turn heads when someone sees you on the street with it? I dunno....this story doesn't make a lot ofsense. Does anyone think dude might be schizophrenic or something? Wasn't he diagnosed w. clinical depression or something last year? It's gonna beinteresting to see what happens to him by the league/Cavs and also the legal system....there's got to be MUCH more to this story....

Delonte West's firearms arrest another challenge for the Cleveland Cavaliers
By Brian Windhorst
September 19, 2009, 9:39PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- There's no doubt that Delonte West was in the wrong for speeding on a motorcycle with three loaded guns when he was pulled over bypolice in suburban Washington D.C. Thursday night. After that, though, not much is cut and dry.

The last 12 months have been a constant and complex balancing act for West and the Cavaliers, who dearly love their hard-nosed guard's personality andability. What to do about this latest situation might prove the most dicey.

Though they would never talk about these issues publicly and discuss it very little privately, it has been a challenge for the team on how to handle West.

Last August, West was charged with marijuana possession in Prince George's County, Md., while he was a restricted free agent and the Cavs were in acontract stalemate with him. The team had a difficult decision because it places a high value on character within the locker room. Usually this would be a redflag on any free agent.

So they had several long talks with him and then did some checking on the facts. Ultimately, they decided to trust him and gave him a three-year contract worth$12.6 million. It turned out to be fair -- after investigation the district attorney dropped the charges against West a few weeks after he signed the contract.

During a training camp practice last season West exploded at a referee and then teammates and coaches who tried to break it up. It was a stunning mood switchfor a player who is often easygoing, never seems to budge under pressure on the floor and usually is cracking jokes.

Shortly after that, West left the team to get treatment for a mood disorder that he said he's battled his whole life. His teammates were quite supportive.The team wanted to do whatever it could to help him from time off to treatment to simple positive re-enforcement.

When he returned, West opened himself up to the fans by talking about his struggle with bipolar disorder. It not only endeared him even more to the fan basethat was attracted to his style of play and personality, but also to people who have battled mood disorders and depression. Mail poured into the Cavs frompeople who West had inspired.

West then went out and had the best season of his career, his first as a full-time starter. He was a significant factor in the Cavs winning 66 games. Butbehind the scenes there was never a doubt that he was often battling with his emotional problems.

Some games West would sit in his uniform at his locker for an hour after the game staring into space. Sometimes he would refuse to talk to anyone. Other timeshe would be his jovial self, cracking up the locker room and fitting into the team's pregame "family photos." He filmed several segments for theESPN show "Jim Rome is Burning," showcasing his dry sense of humor that made him a YouTube hit.

But he also often came to games late, even showing up to a home playoff game an hour before tipoff. Once, at a game in Los Angeles, West wasn't on thebench when he was introduced as a starter and no one on the team seemed to know where he was for a few minutes.

Those episodes, however, never seemed to affect his play. Trying to be supportive, the team apparently gave him plenty of space. The media, appreciative of howopen he'd been and sensitive to his battle, looked the other way.

It was the same this summer when another YouTube video appeared of West and a friend waiting for their food to be cooked in a KFC drive-thru. Making jokes andfreestyle rapping, West was quite funny. But numerous people left comments that it wasn't funny because it appeared he was under the influence ofsomething.

Whatever the circumstances, the image couldn't have made the team happy even as they continued to try to be supportive of West's issues.

Which leads to this current situation. It likely will come out in time just what West's state of mind was as he traveled down the highway with the guns.His father told The Washington Post, "all I can say is Delonte was looking behind his back and protecting himself" and hinted he was concerned forhis safety for some reason.

No matter what, it isn't going to be as simple as West did something wrong and then he'll be punished. There are gray areas and decisions the Cavs mayhave to make about how to deal with West. How they can continue to try to help him, how to understand him. Or perhaps even where they should draw the line.

Yeah, poor Delonte and his mental disorders.

On another note, Windhorst is WAYYYY out of line using YouTube comments about West's possibly being blazed in the KFC vid, in his article.

Tacky and unprofessional.

whats up with the supposed stolen radio?

and i guess he will be suspended for quite a few games to start off the season

PDcavsinsider
Delonte West has been indicted on four weapons charges in Maryland stemming from Sept. incident. More info to come.
6 minutes ago from web

PDcavsinsider
New information in the charges includes that West had 112 shotgun shells on him and an 8-inch Bowie style knife when arrested.
5 minutes ago from web
Cavs' West faces more weapons charges in Maryland

By SARAH KARUSH, The Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Cleveland Cavaliers guard Delonte West is facing additional weapons and traffic counts in connection to his Sept. 17 arrest in Prince George's County, Md.

The 26-year-old West was indicted Tuesday on two counts of carrying a dangerous weapon, two counts of carrying a handgun, two counts of transporting a handgun, and one count each of reckless driving and negligent driving. Each of the weapons counts carries a penalty of up to three years in prison.

West was initially charged with just two counts of carrying a handgun and speeding. Authorities say he was riding a Can-Am Spyder motorcycle on the Capital Beltway in Upper Marlboro when he cut off an officer, who pulled him over. Police found two loaded handguns on him and a loaded shotgun in a guitar case strapped to his back.

tired.gif

eek.gif
I ain't heard about the shotgun in the guitar case either...

The hell was dude doing? Walkin around gettin his Al Capone on...
smh.gif

i knew he got caught with a gun(s)..and i guess i knew it was on a motorcycle

but still
laugh.gif
..that's just out there

What's my dude doing with all that weaponry though? Cats out to get him
nerd.gif
? I hope dude continues to get the help he obviously needs.

For our visual learners:

Delonte
delontewest.JPG

+
Can-am Spyder
news-brp-can_am_spyder.jpg

+
9mm Beretta
beretta92fs.jpg

+
Ruger .357 Magnum
RUGP141blue.jpg

+
870 Remington Shotgun

rem870mcs_18.jpg

+
8.5in Bowie Knife
cudeman-bowie-knife-45806.jpg

+
112 Shotty Shells
21gear_shotgun_horizontal.jpg

Dude had to have just gotten done watching Deperado. Guns in a guitar case?
eek.gif
laugh.gif

Maybe he was moving and wanted to take these separate then the rest of his stuff? There has to be some sort of logical explanation.

Back
Top Bottom