I’m having a hard time doing this on my own…

I know education has no number on it, but to play the other side of the equation.

Isnt the school year like 6-8 months of the year and you only teach up to 3 classes a day?

For the hours, schedule, holidays, time off, and amount of work done, 65k a year starting seems fair. The stress is different depending on the grade/school/neighborhood/etc

I know education has no number on it, but to play the other side of the equation.

Isnt the school year like 6-8 months of the year and you only teach up to 3 classes a day?

For the hours, schedule, holidays, time off, and amount of work done, 65k a year starting seems fair. The stress is different depending on the grade/school/neighborhood/etc

1. For the most part, schools are a "Year" minus 6-8 weeks. So it is closer to 10 weeks. (Of course not including breaks/days off)

2. "3 Classes" really depends on how each individual school's schedule is set up. Every school is set up differently and that is up to the Administration Team.

But I get the overall point of what you are trying to make.

Teachers I know are coming out of pocket for their basic supplies (markers, pens, paper etc.), go home and grade papers off-the-clock, lesson planning, no OT. Dealing with parents when class is over. 65k might be reasonable if they finish class, clock out and they're done. But, they have to take their work home with them and live it

Teachers I know are coming out of pocket for their basic supplies (markers, pens, paper etc.), go home and grade papers off-the-clock, lesson planning, no OT. Dealing with parents when class is over. 65k might be reasonable if they finish class, clock out and they're done. But, they have to take their work home with them and live it

Most people assume teaching starts / ends at the bell when that is not the case. I only have 1 planning period every 2 days. 2-3 planning periods a week that’s it.

It’s a block schedule. On Day 1-2-4-6 and on Day 2 1-3-5-7. 30-32 kids in each class. 180 something students. So that’s 3-4.5 hours a week to grade, lesson plan, contact parents.

I and most of my coworkers work through our lunch 4/5 days a week. The other day you have a lunch duty, You have professional development during the summer and during the school year.

This isn’t even factoring clubs or sport teams. I’ve never met a single teacher who just goes to work for 8 hrs and goes home. It’s literally not possible.

Most people assume teaching starts / ends at the bell when that is not the case. I only have 1 planning period every 2 days. 2-3 planning periods a week that’s it.

It’s a block schedule. On Day 1-2-4-6 and on Day 2 1-3-5-7. 30-32 kids in each class. 180 something students. So that’s 3-4.5 hours a week to grade, lesson plan, contact parents.

I and most of my coworkers work through our lunch 4/5 days a week. The other day you have a lunch duty, You have professional development during the summer and during the school year.

This isn’t even factoring clubs or sport teams. I’ve never met a single teacher who just goes to work for 8 hrs and goes home. It’s literally not possible.

Do you get paid additional for club or sport teams? If so, is it substantial? And regardless of pay, is participation in those activities really beneficial in terms of “advancement” or salary increases?

Do you get paid additional for club or sport teams? If so, is it substantial? And regardless of pay, is participation in those activities really beneficial in terms of “advancement” or salary increases?

Clubs little to none. Head coaches pay bonus varies.

And as far as salary advancement? No doesn’t impact experience at all.

Clubs little to none. Head coaches pay bonus varies.

And as far as salary advancement? No doesn’t impact experience at all.

Are you only getting a significant salary raise if you become a vice principal or principal? I imagine those positions are sought after though so the competition is stiff. Does it take like 10 years? 15 years?

I absolutely love my single life.

But these bills are a ****in problem!

Besides the cliche “make more money” how are my single brothers maintaining?

It can’t be easy unless your a 6 figure man.

I’m not a 6 figure man.

I might be repeating what some have said here already, so apologies in advance. Hopefully, some of the things I'll pass over can help somehow. It's really just starting advice, but there is A LOT MORE information that I'd be glad to provide if needed.

1. It's not how much you make; it's how much you save. I was able to do this 4 years ago when I landed a job after being unemployed for 7 months. I did not make anywhere close to six figures and was able to save. This will lead to my next point by doing what I do with point #2.

2. For your lifestyle, keep what you love most and mercilessly cut off the things you don't. Heard this tip from watching Ramit Sethi's "How to Get Rich" on Netflix (don't get fooled by the title as the title sucks). He teaches this mantra with select folks and although the show's clients may not be as grounded, the mantra and mentality still apply. So if there are luxuries you can go without it, then go without it.

3. Depends on how your eyes perceive this... you can create a budget or create a spending plan. Yes, it is the same thing. The word "budget" can be stigmatized like "diet" in the food world. Either way, creating a plan helps you track everything. Find ways or resources on how to do such a thing as there are plenty of good apps like Mint, YNAB, and RocketMoney, or make your own in a spreadsheet. Reddit's Personal Finance page can be extremely helpful too. Just don't do what a few of my friends do, which is straight-up track purchases. Tracking purchases is pretty much half-assing a diet: you just write down what you spend with no boundaries. Spoiler: they don't save diddly **** by the end of that month.

4. If you're in debt, sacrifice for a season and pay off the debts. Monthly debt payments can take up much income that you'd much rather have that money toward other things and/or help create room. If that means taking another job or finding a way to increase your current job, then so be it.

Biggest culprits for overspending/not having enough money:
  • any delivery service unless it's free with no tips (DoorDash/Uber/Instacart). I had a friend who spent $11 on a dozen eggs via Instacart... and this was BEFORE inflation. My goodness. And for DoorDash, they spike up prices and then stack fees and tips (i.e. a $10 meal order from a restaurant can become $12.50 for the DD price, then stack them StockX-quality fees and tips, and that becomes $17.50-$20.) If you can go out to eat,
  • with that said - going out to eat in general. THAT adds up fast.
  • given that this is NikeTalk, shoes (if you do buy shoes). Nowadays, these pairs of shoes avg. $150-$200 per pair, so 2-3 pairs a month is already a lot.
  • places/things that make you wanna buy just because it's on sale or it looks attractively useful (i.e. Target). If you can go without it, go without it.
5. This one may be a bit inapplicable or unrelated, but it applies to everyone including myself - understand that it's okay to not have everything. It's a psychological thing, this tip. A lot of people play the "Keep Up with the Joneses" game (this was me at one point), but no one knows that not everybody plays that game honestly. A lot of people think they got it when they actually don't; they be doing whatever just to impress people they don't like with money they don't have. By understanding this, you'll realize there's no need to go bend over backward for these things you may truly and deeply deem unnecessary. Over time, you'll know what you love most and keep those things around you. Let everybody else play that game while you do you to make your own life great and comfortable.

And yes, these are the tips I currently utilize to maintain my lifestyle (minus the debt as I do not have debt, but I do apply the same mentality about the "culprits" list.

Hope this helps! You got this!

Are you only getting a significant salary raise if you become a vice principal or principal? I imagine those positions are sought after though so the competition is stiff. Does it take like 10 years? 15 years?

In DC you can get bumped up by having strong evaluations and by simply working in the system for an extended period of time.

Most people here aren't trying to take on the added stress/responsibility of an Assistant Principal. Some people make more than Assistant Principals and they don't have to work 12 months.

I liked Greensboro, NC like 15yrs ago. I'm sure it blew up since then

I graduated from UNCG in 2019, it was still a relatively cheap place to live in comparison to other NC cities such as Raleigh and Charlotte.

Besides the cliche “make more money” how are my single brothers maintaining?

Late, but I feel as if I’ve lucked out big time with my current situation. Moved to Atlanta from NC the last week of the year in 2019. Started working making $55k in Jan 2020. Pandemic hit in March and turned into a blessing because I worked from home for a full 2 years. From April 2020 - March 2021 I didn’t really go anywhere or spend money and I was able to save big time. Several promotions, a switch into a new department, and a market raise later I’m less than $10k away from a 6 figure salary. I’ve also been protected from the insane rent spikes the last several years since I’m renting a condo from its owner.

Since 2022 I’ve been a lot less frugal with my spending, whether that’s buying things (clothes, shoes, furniture), attending sporting events, or going out on Friday’s and Saturday’s with friends. I’ve thought about attending first time home buyer programs to get some assistance with a down payment on a home, but the in town Atlanta market and interest rates are garbage. I’m 26 and I don’t have any desire to move out of the city and retreat to the suburbs.

Currently looking for new employment since I hate the company I work for now. Been looking for remote positions, transitioning to some other companies in Atlanta or moving all together to a different city (Boston, SD, DC, and Portland). I know the latter is going to be difficult with the cost of living adjustment.

The “$100k is nothing” discourse is always an interesting one to me, because I feel as if a lot of people live beyond their means. Some people aren’t as open and transparent as to whether or not how much debt they have, which I believe greatly impacts how you can/want to live. I’m not at $100k but I feel like I’m thriving

Last edited:
Late, but I feel as if I’ve lucked out big time with my current situation. Moved to Atlanta from NC the last week of the year in 2019. Started working making $55k in Jan 2020. Pandemic hit in March and turned into a blessing because I worked from home for a full 2 years. From April 2020 - March 2021 I didn’t really go anywhere or spend money and I was able to save big time. Several promotions, a switch into a new department, and a market raise later I’m less than $10k away from a 6 figure salary. I’ve also been protected from the insane rent spikes the last several years since I’m renting a condo from its owner.

Since 2022 I’ve been a lot less frugal with my spending, whether that’s buying things (clothes, shoes, furniture), attending sporting events, or going out on Friday’s and Saturday’s with friends. I’ve thought about attending first time home buyer programs to get some assistance with a down payment on a home, but the in town Atlanta market and interest rates are garbage. I’m 26 and I don’t have any desire to move out of the city and retreat to the suburbs.

Currently looking for new employment since I hate the company I work for now. Been looking for remote positions, transitioning to some other companies in Atlanta or moving all together to a different city (Boston, SD, DC, and Portland). I know the latter is going to be difficult with the cost of living adjustment.

The “$100k is nothing” discourse is always an interesting one to me, because I feel as if a lot of people live beyond their means. Some people aren’t as open and transparent as to whether or not how much debt they have, which I believe greatly impacts how you can/want to live. I’m not at $100k but I feel like I’m thriving
Sounds like you been moving the right way…Remote and San Diego would def be the way to go if you can make that happen

Portland cool too but you might as well just live in Seattle, which is the bigger and better version :lol:

Portland cool too but you might as well just live in Seattle, which is the bigger and better version :lol:
Better be making 25-30% more to live the same life up north as you would in Portland. And get used to worse traffic which is unconscionable to people who live in Portland.

Atlanta to Seattle traffic might be an improvement tho.

Sounds like you been moving the right way…Remote and San Diego would def be the way to go if you can make that happen

Ain’t no Nike in Seattle! Lmao I hear you tho, I went to Seattle a few years ago and it a cool city. Really depends on where the opportunity takes me. I’m open to staying here in Atlanta too

Also lame as hell how these companies have reverted back to pre-pandemic hiring tendencies. 2020-2021 I was getting offers and messages every month from recruiters for open positions. Now they want 7-10 years of experience for a $105k job, FOH

my salary is pretty decent now , especially for cleveland but my problems are old dumb *** debts . They kicking my ***.

I was paying $1900 for 1 bedroom spot downtown here but lease just ended. I came back to my parents house to stack / payoff debts and help them a little bit, which is pretty embarrassing to be 33 lol. But I gotta just tell myself it’s part of the plan . Going to do try to do like 6-8 months and then I’m out… also looking to relocate out of state

Stacking and saving is essential but like some others said , the key is just making more money to be honest .

Back
Top Bottom