How/when did the craze over the XIs start?

Combination of the greatest sneaker ever with hype from the Internet has driven demand for this shoe to an all time high.Back in the day, it was word of mouth.

Originally Posted by ijapino

In 1995-1996, the first two colorways (Concords and Columbias) sat awhile....They sold steadily but nothing like the instant sell outs we see today. In fact, the Concords first released in October of 1995, and I was able to get a pair at the end of December of that year. This was due to a variety of factors. They were some of the first shoes to use patent leather...People weren't really sold on the idea just yet. It was almost too flashy. They also restocked shoes back in the day. Not like getting another store's leftover inventory, but actual restocks from Nike...And they mostly sat because you had alot of newcomers in the league cementing their own dominance....The #1 shoe that year? NOT the XI's.....The FILA Grant Hills.

It wasn't until the Bulls finished their regular season dominance with a 72-10 record that they hype took off. By the time the black/reds came out people were pumped for them. The OG black/red XI's were the first shoe I remember selling out almost everywhere the first day.

By the time they first retroed in 2000, they sold out immediately at most places. I don't know where you're from, but if you could walk in the mall AFTER the release date and get yourself your size in the 2000 Concords, you were pretty lucky. Most places had lines early in the morning for every colorway....Then the cool greys released and that changed the game.
i remember getting them after school 
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
....just walked in, buy them and leave with no hassle. And this is ny we're talking about.

In 1995-1996, the first two colorways (Concords and Columbias) sat awhile....They sold steadily but nothing like the instant sell outs we see today. In fact, the Concords first released in October of 1995, and I was able to get a pair at the end of December of that year. This was due to a variety of factors. They were some of the first shoes to use patent leather...People weren't really sold on the idea just yet. It was almost too flashy. They also restocked shoes back in the day. Not like getting another store's leftover inventory, but actual restocks from Nike...And they mostly sat because you had alot of newcomers in the league cementing their own dominance....The #1 shoe that year? NOT the XI's.....The FILA Grant Hills.

It wasn't until the Bulls finished their regular season dominance with a 72-10 record that they hype took off. By the time the black/reds came out people were pumped for them. The OG black/red XI's were the first shoe I remember selling out almost everywhere the first day.
Fila Grant Hill II*.  And yes you are correct.  That shoe sold really well back in the day.  Patent leather, casual friendly design, and a young stud of a player endorsing them.  
*Bookmarked*

Originally Posted by airBOZretroIII

Originally Posted by The Warehouse 13

It started back in 95-96 When MJ and the Bulls DOMINATED the league and went 72-10 for the season. That and nobody had seen anything like the XI's up to that point before.

What he said.
It all started back in 95-96 when the FIRST RELEASED.
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif
but
30t6p3b.gif
damn... just damn.

By the time they first retroed in 2000, they sold out immediately at most places. I don't know where you're from, but if you could walk in the mall AFTER the release date and get yourself your size in the 2000 Concords, you were pretty lucky. Most places had lines early in the morning for every colorway....Then the cool greys released and that changed the game.

/thread

The initial retro craze was bc of the cool grey like OP said...I remember malls closing bc of riots all over the country. Now its just social media and I would say us the og sneakerheads showing DS PAIRS with icy soles from years ago has these young guys going crazy

From what remember it really took off the period after the 2000-01 releases. JB took a 5 year break until the DMPs showed up. during that 5 year period, everyone went nuts for XIs. Maybe it was the deprivation. I couldnt go anywhere without being asked questions about my XIs, especially black/reds and concords.

u r definently right about that...I was in middle school and the Grant Hills was THE shoe to have...until the bred 11s

Originally Posted by FirstNameLastName

u r definently right about that...I was in middle school and the Grant Hills was THE shoe to have...until the bred 11s
So true! I remember going into the ftl with my mom and looking at "the wall" and she told me i could only choose one pair. I chose the hill's haha

That YouTube video of the '01 Cool Grey release at Niketown Chicago. Dude was sayin that he could sell them boys for $5000 or somethin like that in 5 years? They're hot, but not that hot, my friend.

The Air Jordan XI "Concord" originally released the Saturday after Thanksgiving 1995.  I got the shoe at Foot Locker the Wednesday before release.  I wore the shoes for Basketball only.  I remember the shoes being HATED on by other players.  Funny how things change over the years.

Christmas + popular model

They could release III's or IV's every Christmas and the same thing would happen

Originally Posted by nickfairclough

The Air Jordan XI "Concord" originally released the Saturday after Thanksgiving 1995.  I got the shoe at Foot Locker the Wednesday before release.  I wore the shoes for Basketball only.  I remember the shoes being HATED on by other players.  Funny how things change over the years.
roll.gif

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

But you don't see this with any other shoe. Just mainly the XIs.
uh, I see it happen to every retro Jordan in a decent colorway.

But the XI are the holy grail of all basketball shoes, and perhaps all modern non-dress shoes.  People have Jordan XI-themed weddings and wear them to formal events.  It's crazy.

I'm in the crowd that thinks the XI should be available on the shelves all the time since it is an important part of basketball footwear history with super casual crossover appeal, much like the Converse Chuck Taylor.  To me, nothing in sports compares to Jordan coming back after his first retirement to lead the Bulls to a 72-10 season and the start of another 3-peat championship run in a pair of awesome looking basketball shoes featuring an incredible silhouette and patent leather.  Just a beautiful shoe with an amazing story.

Originally Posted by nickfairclough

exactly, we know the history of the shoes and when they released, but this right here ^ is the straight up truth!

Like most old timers noted it really took off around playoff time of the 96 season when the Black/Red color way released.

I had eyed the concord XI since MJ wore them against the Magic. I was fortunate enough to convince the manager at the Athlete's Foot in the Great Mall to sell them to me a week prior to the release!
happy.gif

Originally Posted by Nowitzness41

I remember back when they first dropped in '00-'01, you can just walk into a store the week of and just cop no problem like any other shoe. Now you have to wait in line for a whole day just to get your pair, riots breaking out, pay top dollar for a pair that just came out, the whole nine. What happened?

Not sure where you live, but in Dallas- you couldnt do that- they sold out with the quickness (first retros). Heck, back when the OGs dropped, i was never able to get a pair, in any colorway (i was like a size 8 at the time)- althouh at that time- i was at my parents will. The XI's have always been a fan favorite- theyre just a beautiful shoe and a great design

Exactly.  It totally depends on where you live.  All colors smoked out of the stores in Cincinnati.  Most good sizes were gone within hours, and they were all gone within 2 days (which in the pre-internet days was a quick sell-out).  Several have also pointed out what a radical design it was for the time.  Took people time to get used to the concept.  Retros went even faster here.  I was working at FTL at the time, and we were pre-ordering for people through the catalog like crazy.

As somebody pointed out a few posts ago, you actually had to put in work at the shoe stores to find out what the release date was.  Not everybody was a "sneakerhead" back in the day, and you actually had to get to know your local store manager to get info.  I remember what a privilege it was to be trusted enough to be shown the official Nike catalog and see all the new releases.  Or just maybe, a manager trusted you enough to bring the new J's out of the back a few days ahead of time and let you hold them.  It was a VERY different time in the mid-90's and before.

Peace,
    J

I remember back when they first dropped in '00-'01, you can just walk into a store the week of and just cop no problem like any other shoe. Now you have to wait in line for a whole day just to get your pair, riots breaking out, pay top dollar for a pair that just came out, the whole nine. What happened?
eek.gif
 Whaaaaa? G T F O H. They retroed in 2000. People wanted them since they originally dropped in 1995. I take it you have never seen the 72-10 Bulls play huh?
laugh.gif
. And yes, as stated earlier in the thread people did hate them initially, myself included.

Originally Posted by beh235

LimitedRetroOG wrote:

eek.gif
 Whaaaaa? G T F O H. They retroed in 2000. People wanted them since they originally dropped in 1995. I take it you have never seen the 72-10 Bulls play huh?
laugh.gif
. And yes, as stated earlier in the thread people did hate them initially, myself included.

laugh.gif
got'em

its just the perfect classic sneaker...

and it came out during christmas when the kids have a couple extra dollars...

and everyone my age that got them when they originally came out wanted a new pair.....

ijapino just about sumed it up...

I remember when the orginal blk/red XI it was all over the news. I was able to cop a pair at ftl At Arden Fair Mall. This was my first campout for a shoe. My mom watch the news that morning and on the news they were saying these were "gangster shoes" or "gang affiliated shoes" something of that matter. The show videos of people in the hood wearing them. My mom proceed to take away my shoes and I wasn't alllowed to wear em cuz she thought I was in a gang thats why i bought those shoes lol.. I eventually got my shoes back a few months later.

The cool greys in 2000 at Florin Mall was the craziest/stupidest release I've ever been too. I've been to many crazy releases like the dmp, spacejam, and grape 5 at Arden Fair but this release was by far the craziest. I was too shook to walk out the mall when I got my cool grey. Dudes were getting shot up and robbed for there pair smh...Waited until the parking lot was full of cops and local news team to come to the mall so me and my uncle walk to his car and bounce lol..

Back
Top Bottom