How to hide my router and wifi from my college

Why do you need wifi in a tiny dorm? just connect the cables (usb, crossover etc), ***% doesn't need to be that difficult.

Originally Posted by Mister916

UC Davis is like that too, don't know anyone who got around this.
Actually, they recently allowed it (in winter quarter)
happy.gif
. But I don'tlive in the dorms anymore, so no problem.

roll.gif
roll.gif
@ some of these foolish answers
just use it. if you get caught just play the
indifferent.gif
"oh..my bad, ididnt know it wasnt allowed.. sorry sir
ohwell.gif
" juss see how long youcan get away with it at least.

Really though?? You're scared?

When I was in college, we drilled holes in the walls to connect 4 dorm rooms with cable so we would could split the cable bill between 8 of us. Not to mentionall the other foolish things we did...

Just be discrete, and play dumb if you get caught. You're not breaking any laws.

Disable the SSID broadcast, so then it'll be a hidden wifi and you would have to manually connect to it.

I got a notice coming back to my parents house from my school/ISP about a valid torrent file I had downloaded from a movie trailer website.

they can and will hunt you down...

Originally Posted by alljayevryjay

Originally Posted by Fresh Prince of Nowhere

My school doesn't allow us to have them because I guess it messes up the internet bandwith for other people. The campus is suppose to be 90% wireless but it definitely wasn't in the summer. I know if my iphone wifi doesn't work in my room I'm getting a router asap.

How does it mess up bandwidth if you're the only one (hopefully) using it?
i think they want to force you to use the school's internet so they can monitor if you're downloading illegally.

Originally Posted by Klipschorn

Disable the SSID broadcast, so then it'll be a hidden wifi and you would have to manually connect to it.
wont work because hes still using schools internet..the network admins will see the router pulling more bandwith and know which port its comingfrom.

You can't. You're plugged into their ports and they can see how much (and what if they want to) bandwith you are pulling and even the Mac Address whichshould show that it's a router. It all depends on how sophisticated their software is, but they'll know. I thouht you had your own wifi network setup,but plugged into THEIR port, no way to hide it. At the least though, make sure the network is non SSID broadcast so they can't just warhunt it down withany wifi device.

Originally Posted by spsfinest212

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

Originally Posted by jehims

dont worry, they wont know which room the signal is coming from. dont worry about a thing...if they have to check your room, they HAVE to give u warning first, so you're straight.

But I have it connected from my ethernet port in my room so I"m hoping they don't pin point it or something
They'll know and they will get you....they always get you.

yea my school dorms didn't allow that too, but they really cant "pinpoint" exactly which room the signal is coming from. Everyone is allowed tohook up a ethernet (sp?) cable to ONE port, and you're connecting a router to it. So, they can track down who's downloading/uploading what if theyreally wanted to, but they wont be able to track down where the signal is coming from unless they physically go into your room and find a router just lyingthere. I guess it depends on the school....but in my school, if they wanted to check your room, they will give u a warning (24 hour notice or a few knockswhich gives you enough time to unhook the router and toss it somewhere). Trust me, you're good.

edit: oh yea, there are devices that can track down wifi signals, but i really doubt your school is gonna go that far. i guess its a gamble, my school didntgive a shhh, so it's up to u.

Originally Posted by SleepyBlueDemon

Really though?? You're scared?

When I was in college, we drilled holes in the walls to connect 4 dorm rooms with cable so we would could split the cable bill between 8 of us. Not to mention all the other foolish things we did...

Just be discrete, and play dumb if you get caught. You're not breaking any laws.
laugh.gif
criminals

bridge your Ethernet & wireless connection on one of your computers if possible, then you can use that computer as a wireless access point (maybe router?)

thats how we ghetto rigged one Ethernet port connection/one laptop in our hotel rooms & turned it into a wireless gateway which like 8 of us used forinternet access & file transferring

Originally Posted by KTaylor

roll.gif
roll.gif
@ some of these foolish answers
just use it. if you get caught just play the
indifferent.gif
"oh..my bad, i didnt know it wasnt allowed.. sorry sir
ohwell.gif
" juss see how long you can get away with it at least.

Back
Top Bottom