How important is keeping it real in your raps?

I think skill is skill. It's fiction, we don't detract from any other media genre(books, movie writers etc) for not living what they wrote, why the bigdeal in rap; if you have talent you have talent.

Originally Posted by bboy1827

I think skill is skill. It's fiction, we don't detract from any other media genre(books, movie writers etc) for not living what they wrote, why the big deal in rap
It's not quite the same but I feel what you're saying. IMO, talent or the music as a whole prevails over "keeping real". Whichis why at the end of the day, I still @++$ with a dude like Ross because I enjoy his music.

That said, sincerity is always appreciated. I'll respect a rapper who's done what he talks about more than a rapper who witnessed it or fabricated itbecause well, that's just real.

It's important to me but at the end of the day, the music and the final product is the most important thing without a doubt.

DW219 here...

It's relevant, but not mandatory. If it's clear you're painting a hypothetical scenario then whatever... like Plies
laugh.gif
.... but if you're justfrontin then it ain't cool. If you're on some fantasy $%%! like Lupe, you're on a slippery slope anyway.

It all depends...

If you're telling a story, or trying to make a point with some fantasy raps that's different than pretending that you've lived a lifestyle that younever have.

I can't support artist who take on a fake persona in order to sell.

That pretend, dress up like a thug like it's Halloween BS is plain stupid. I ain't mad if you are a thug, that's cool, I guess. But if you'rejust glorifying it to further confuse kids, then you need to off yourself.

Not as important as most make it out to be. Music with substance is real regardless, once they pull you in, and you relate and feel that connection throughmusic it becomes real. I don't really listen to the shoot em up, scarface type raps but those that I do listen to have to really be talented to talk aboutnothing yet make you want to listen. So regardless it doesn't matter if it's lived or not good music is good music. If you truly feel disappointed tofind out some of your favorite rappers never actually lived that life, then maybe you were listening for the wrong reasons to begin with.

I guess it just depends on how you view rap music. If you think of it as purely entertainment, then I could see how "keeping it real" wouldn'tbe a big factor. However, if you view rap music as art or a form of expression, then you might expect a more authenticity from the artist.
Nothing wrong with either stance, IMO.

No matter how you look at it (or i look at it) its only entertainment. I mean, i know a lot of yall despies Joe Budden right now, but his down to earth, everyday S!!! he talks about is more appealing that say the Clipse. Ima throw myself under the bus i know, but for whatever reason i have never listened to theClipse (not a single album) cause they came off as not "real" to me.

Originally Posted by jthagreat

No matter how you look at it (or i look at it) its only entertainment. I mean, i know a lot of yall despies Joe Budden right now, but his down to earth, every day S!!! he talks about is more appealing that say the Clipse. Ima throw myself under the bus i know, but for whatever reason i have never listened to the Clipse (not a single album) cause they came off as not "real" to me.

I enjoy both in different ways....obviously that Mood Muzik Joe is somethin that EVERYBODY can relate to, while i enjoy the clipse because of their wittylines..they are very creative with lyrics.

Originally Posted by bboy1827

I think skill is skill. It's fiction, we don't detract from any other media genre(books, movie writers etc) for not living what they wrote, why the big deal in rap; if you have talent you have talent.

^keeping it real is more important than skill to me. Look at eminem, he has good skills but no identity. i believe living what you write is paramount for anartist in hiphop culture, at the same time people develop and grow as time passes so they can write about new experiences that they have had. I dont think imgoing to far to suggest artists put a "fiction" or "reality" label on their album covers. most people only care about the beat anyway

Originally Posted by CB94

DW219 here...

It's relevant, but not mandatory. If it's clear you're painting a hypothetical scenario then whatever... like Plies
laugh.gif
.... but if you're just frontin then it ain't cool. If you're on some fantasy $%%! like Lupe, you're on a slippery slope anyway.
But Lupe makes that fantasy %!!+ work...and thats the power of music for you. You really think dude is gonna retire? His fan base right now gotany CD he drops going gold, which is good these days.

If you can turn fantasy into real life and make money off it than you should definitely pursue it. Lupe is a good example,because he talks about whats relativeto his identity.

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

Originally Posted by CB94

DW219 here...

laugh.gif
.... but if you're just frontin then it ain't cool. If you're on some fantasy $%%! like Lupe, you're on a slippery slope anyway.
But Lupe makes that fantasy %!!+ work...and thats the power of music for you. You really think dude is gonna retire? His fan base right now got any CD he drops going gold, which is good these days.

If you can turn fantasy into real life and make money off it than you should definitely pursue it. Lupe is a good example,because he talks about whats relative to his identity.
I ain't knocking it, but just know it's a fine line between brilliant and crazy. When you approach the point where only you really know what the $+#* you're talking about, you've gone WAY too far IMO.

"And if ya, busting bout nothing, than we ain't equal
You just cussing for nothing and poisoning people"

It's not as important as it used to be but I feel every rapper is going to exagerate to a degree as long as the things you rap about are in tune with thelife you lived for the most part I'll support

It's important but if you're music is good/great it won't matter. Ghost and Rae weren't heavy in the drug game or on that hardcoregangsta/mafia running the town +*$*, most of their inspiration came from fictional movies and the O.G.s in their hood.

Just don't get silly with the fiction in your rhymes. If you telling a story that's one thing but if you just perpetrating a fraud not many willappreciate it and eventually somebody will try you

ServeChilled81 wrote:
I guess it just depends on how you view rap music. If you think of it as purely entertainment, then I could see how "keeping it real" wouldn't be a big factor. However, if you view rap music as art or a form of expression, then you might expect a more authenticity from the artist.
Nothing wrong with either stance, IMO.

Isn't it the exact opposite though? Art isn't just retelling past events. It's using creativity and imagination to create something out of nothing.Art is putting yourself in some one elses shoes and giving them something to relate to. You can only use your life as a canvas and be creative for so long, sothe way I see it for true art and true creativity you gotta go outside your realm

It only matters in this WSHH/Youtube/MTV Cribs age. Rappers have been rapping about killing/drugs/etc for years but until we got a view inside thier lives wetook a step back and went "whoa....you're nothing like the record"

Back
Top Bottom