How I Met Your Mother Post Series Discussion. Rustled Jimmies to the Maximum

We don't know who the dad is. We just know who the main's first husband is. She will divorce him in the first season iirc
Incorrect.

We already know who the Dad is in the title (it's the "hot nerd" who pines for the main character).

The whole show will probably go down like this:

1.) The main character (Greta Gerwig) divorces her 1st husband

2.) She has the "hot nerd" pining for her (who is already confirmed as the Dad)

3.) She basically screws around the entire show with a bunch of dudes

4.) She then settles down with the "hot nerd"/provider

We never saw this scene, did we?

No. They described it as taking place after they run into each other on the street. It's supposed to set up that Robin is thinking more about Ted, than Ted about Robin.

controversial ending = worst ending ever
This isn't "just because" it's NT. It's because of all the actual reasons people have described.

I think overall reaction is more negative. I guess we're looking in different places

And HIMYD is destined to fail. People are already groaning because it feels like a rehash / milking HIMYM. All the gags they do are just gonna feel like they're trying to make another "slapbet" or "Slutty Pumpkin."

It's gonna need something refreshing, and chances are it won't.

I think the ending is going to age well, but the vitriol and knee gut reaction is very intense so it's going to take a while.

It's going to take a while to pause and reflect. And now that we know how it ends we might even see some earlier episodes in a new light.

Now that we know the final outcome, watching some of the older episodes, instead of us making these comments, myself included: 'How come Ted is still so hung up on Robin? Why does the storyline keep going back to her? What about the mother? We don't know anything about her yet. The show is beating around the bush' - we may get more of these comments 'Yea it makes sense now. The writers have never hidden the fact that this is a T/R story'

Last edited:
Now that we know the final outcome, watching some of the older episodes, instead of us making these comments, myself included: 'How come Ted is still so hung up on Robin? Why does the storyline keep going back to her? What about the mother? We don't know anything about her yet. The show is beating around the bush' - we may get more of these comments 'Yea it makes sense now. The writers have never hidden the fact that this is a T/R story'

Like it's been said, that's not the problem people have.

The Ted & Robin thing was never hidden. It was always there, consistently, and it makes sense looking back. That doesn't mean it was handled well.

Last edited:
That is not YOUR problem Senator.

But judging from other comments, not just here but on other message boards, yes it is.

I think that is the root of everyone's problem though: they didn't handle it well over the course of the show.
Which is why people think "why is he still hung up on Robin" etc and couldn't accept the ultimate ending once it happened, even though it was laid out.

They're just too upset to look too much further into it :lol:
I don't want to speak for everyone but that's where I think all the negative reactions come from.

Last edited:
I think the ending is going to age well, but the vitriol and knee gut reaction is very intense so it's going to take a while.

It's going to take a while to pause and reflect. And now that we know how it ends we might even see some earlier episodes in a new light.

So true, a few days ago I watched the first episode just to reflect on it lol

Senator, I think the negative reactions all stem from feeling fooled and hoodwinked. And I think the only reason we feel fooled is because we didn't recognize the T/R storylines for what they were. We all thought it was just the writers beating around the bush and not getting into the actual story of meeting the mother. I disagree that the executions of the T/R storylines is the problem here.

I think the main problem is the title of the show itself. Very misleading. I felt mislead and discombobulated myself after the finale ended. I was just quicker than most to get past the denial stage to the acceptance stage. I skipped the anger and grief and bargaining stage. The denial stage took like 2 minutes.

Obviously, a lot of fans are stuck in the anger stage and may never progress beyond that lol.

Last edited:
Last night, I caught a rerun of the episode when they revealed Marshall's dad died. Man, the feels :smh:

I remember the first time watching it, and thinking why the hell are they counting down numbers the entire episode, and then BOOM!

Genius episode!

I don't think anyone should look down on a fellow HIMYM fan because they won't ever like the finale and vice versa :lol:

I'll always feel like it was weird to do damn near two seasons of him learning to eventually let go of Robin and then toss all of that character development out of the window in about 30 seconds.

Same with the whole Barney and Robin relationship. To go from sleeping together once, developing feelings, dating, breaking up, then have seasons 6 - 8 littered with scenes of them not being over each other, have The Robin episode (BTW that ep is the one saving grace of season 8), a whole season dedicated to them getting over their worries and saying I Do and then break them up :lol: you spend so much time rooting for them and investing in that relationship and then POOF, it's ******* over.

Coming into this season, I hated Robin for all the BS she did to Ted and put Ted through. You start to think "Well hey, that made Ted a better person and it wasn't meant to be because he found the love of his life and so did she." Then to get the rug pulled out from under you in 45 minutes is kind of a big middle finger to the fans to me.

If you disagree, I can respect that.

Senator, I think the negative reactions all stem from feeling fooled and hoodwinked. And I think the only reason we feel fooled is because we didn't recognize the T/R storylines for what they were. We all thought it was just the writers beating around the bush and not getting into the actual story of meeting the mother. I disagree that the executions of the T/R storylines is the problem here.

If a lot of people feel fooled or not satisfied by Ted & Robin - even after they set it up along the way - then it's bad execution, imo. If you are satisfied, then it might be hard to agree with that second part.

Here's the way I think. The narrative of the show "closed the door" on Ted & Robin 2x in the past 2 seasons: when she said she didn't love him and moved out (great scene, but cold) and the whole Balloon Fiasco. I don't mean "closed the door" like an opinion or reading too much into it to see what I wanted to see; I mean the writing, direction, context, etc. all presented it to be that way. And it turns out, they presented it that way to fool the audience, to preserve the surprise at the end, and to drag out that storyline until the end when they can introduce the twist.

That's a cheap trick. Of course stuff like that can happen in real life which is not perfect. But for a show with a plan, it's a cheap trick - bad execution.

Last edited:
after the first couple of seasons, i just didnt like robin. she was kind of a B. and especially when she got jealous of ted's marriage. man what a hoeeee!

tracy was nice, wish she was more involved in the last season.

Last edited:
:rofl:... They are releasing an alternate ending on DVD

HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER ALTERNATE ENDING ON COMPLETE SERIES DVD

So, about that ending of How I Met Your Mother? Co-creators Craig Thomas and Carter Bays announced today that they have plans to release a "Plan B" cut of the series finale, which will feature a separate, alternate ending from the one that aired on Monday.

The catch? Fans will have to wait for the How I Met Your Mother: The Complete Series on DVD to see it.

Here's what Bays had to say (via his Twitter) earlier today: "First of all I want to say thank you for the lovely messages from everybody who loved the [HIMYM finale]. If you didn't like the finale, I guess that happens. We tried something and it didn't connect with you. I hope we're still friends.
"So anyway, here's a bit of news: 16 days ago today we were in the HIMYM edit room, trying to decide between two very different endings. We only shot one script, but through edit room magic we had two possible outcomes for the series. We chose the ending we chose and we stand by it. But we loved the other version too. We're going to include that version on the Complete Series DVD as an alternate finale to How I Met Your Mother."

Read the rest here

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/04/05/how-i-met-your-mother-alternate-ending-on-complete-series-dvd

^In their defense, I'm sure back in 05 they shot a couple of endings with the kids while they were at that age.

Makes sense.

Hell, I'm pretty sure the creators already said this themselves a few years ago, that they had filmed a few endings.

Are they even coming out with the blu ray? I keep hearing dvd release whenever they mention it coming out on video.

Now they're actually trying to hoodwink and bamboozle you with this alt ending bull ****. They just want your money clearly. Don't be led astray.

yeah hopefully they realease a blu ray, im not down to buy this only for them to release a blu ray edition right after

Back
Top Bottom