How hard is it to raise a GPA in college?

Originally Posted by Essential1

if you study high. Take the test high.. You get high grades..

I wish it were that easy for my CFA. Honestly if you want to get your grades up in one semester. Take like 32 units and get straight A's. No joke.

There are a few conditions:

Range:
In 3-4 semesters, the jump from 2.7 to 3.0 is easier than the jump from 3.0-3.3 which is easier than the jump from 3.3-3.6. Simply because the higher the gparange...the more As you need to move it. GPA increases have diminishing returns. Moving your gpa from a 2.0 to 2.5 won't be too hard...if you get allA's in 1 semester that might even do that. 2.5 to 3.0 will be harder though.

Current Amount of credits:
It's going to take more than 1 semester, it took me 3 semester to raise my GPA 0.3 points when I had somewhere around 50-60 credits under my belt. If youra freshmen your GPA is a lot more volatile but as you accumulate credits, the volatility of your GPA drastically decreases.

Logic:
A kid with a 2.0 GPA probably won't have an all A semester in college?. <- DEPENDS on thereason behind the GPA.

Use that last sentence as motivation and prove me wrong. There are many reasons why you could have a low GPA. If you actually put in effort and have below a2.5, then there is probably know hope for you. But if you were bull #%@*++!$ and horsing around then you simply need to buckle down and apply yourself. Also ifyou had a serious circumstance like a family death, your gpa is also not indicative of your potential.

I know plenty of people who have pulled their GPA up. You just need some SERIOUS resolve, time management, and you need to pick your schedule with a strategythat rivals Napoleon battle tactics. There are so many resources for choosing the right professors. i.e. the professors who hand out a lot of A's, recycleexams,etc.

I need to go ask my college about that retaking class thing. Need to get rid of this 1.8 in psych. Other than that, I got a 4.0, 3.9, 3.0.
If I retake it, it just replaces my grade right? Meaning I won't be credited with another 5 cred?

focus, minimal drinking and partying (yes it is possible), and just pay attention in class and ask questions because the professors will be more willing tohelp and more lenient if they SEE that you give a damn and are trying. i commute, work and still got a 3.81, so yes it can be done.

Damn near impossible. I'm pretty much screwed. I'm retaking one class next semester. There ain't no hope for me. Only if I went to schools thatwere notorious for grade hyper inflation.

Depends on how many credits you have taken, and how many you have left to take.

It's just math. If you've had 30 credits, at 2.0 GPA and you take another 30 at 3.0 GPA, you'll have a 2.5

There isn't a tremendous amount of help for you from these replies, OP.
laugh.gif
. What's your exact GPA, how many Credits did you take last semester, andwhat's your current standing? (i.e. Freshman, Sophomore, etc.)

It's Very possible to do that, actually. Say you had a 2.0_ your 1st semester with 12 credits. If you take 15-18 next semester and average a B, you couldvery possibly have a B- average. The longer you have to graduate, the better though. It gives you ample time to bring your GPA up to snuff.

Originally Posted by jackiechizzan

grin.gif

bachelor's degrees don't mean much, but the GPA you leave with that diploma does.
grin.gif
Employer's really don't care about your collegeGPA. Only reason why you would want to have a decent GPA is to get into a well known grad school.

Back
Top Bottom