how do you think we're going to look back at LOST?

Looking at it from today's perspective that show was a waste of time. Wouldnt recommend anyone to watch it now.

It was a big waste of time based on the finale. I hated myself for spending so much time watching it but I have to admit it was fun reading all the theories at that time. Just wish I didn't watch the finale season. It killed the entire series in a ridiculous, stupid way. :smh: @ Jacob, man in black and those dumb Jacob rules. :lol: OP do yourself a favor and just watching the finale episode then ask yourself if you really want to invest your time.

Last edited:
I try to get all my friends to watch this show so we can laugh about how terrible it is.  They have some pretty good "unanswered Lost questions" videos on YouTube... I've never seen a show that just flatly refused to answer questions about plots that were very important at some point in time during the show... Its mind boggling what the writers did.

You see the way people talk about television now? How there's the AV Club and 100 different bloggers and sites that go in on TV, the same way people used to breakdown and get into movies.

That's all Lost.

Before Lost, there was Alan Sepinwall and the random fan forums and that was it. That was the most anyone would really get into whatever your favorite show was. Reddit and Twitter didn't exist. You wouldn't have threads on sneaker websites going hard for True Detective, or so many people speaking as uh...eloquently or thoughtfully...(or compulsively tbh) about television, outside of maybe The Sopranos. Let alone a network TV show. You wouldn't have 1,000 of posts and pages breaking down mysteries and theories and frame by frame shots immediately after an ep was done.

All of that is because of Lost. Lost was the single most written about show ever. 23 million people watched the 2nd premiere live and half of them needed to talk aout the show immediately after each episode was done.

It was the Star Wars of modern TV.

It's the reason why all these high concept/mythology shows are all over the place now, and every damn website has episode recaps and breakdowns and theories, and interviews with everybody involved. Week to week, It was the most entertaining, suspenseful, clever, well plotted and well cast show ever on network TV. Most shows can't make 5 characters you care about, Lost made like 20+. It was the best show at introducing mysteries and storylines, and leaving you wanting more. They put the Lost cast on the cover of every damn magazine on the planet.

Lost made everyone care more about TV, in a way HBO couldn't. "It's not TV..." It made it normal for regular people of all ages to have a thoughtful conversation after an episode they watched. People talked about Lost every single day until the next episode came, and half of them rewatched it during the week. It made it normal for people other than fangirls to get together for a watch party of a TV show, cuz everybody and their moms watched Lost at some point. But...if I was gonna continue the SW metaphor:

1st season: Star Wars: A New Hope :nthat:
3rd season finale: Empire Strikes Back :wow: :evil:
4th & 5th season: Return of the Jedi :\
6th season: The prequels :x

In some ways, they didn't actually have an ending,. They just stopped the story and took a victory lap, thanking the fans for tuning in. And that's...almost worse. I mean the little cliffhangers they had at the end of every episode, made the show the phenomenon it became. The ones who stuck it out, like me, accepted a lot of crazy sci-fi and fantasy stuff later in the show, and were ready for whatever craziness they threw at us.

So...instead Damon and Carlton more or less said none of those cliffhangers mattered, but at least you like all these characters, right? And boy, wasn't that crazy stuff fun? :nerd: I mean, the last season is really good by itself, if you never really saw or particularly cared about any of the 5 seasons that came before, because they didn't.

And uh...the smoke monster, was THE one important element, that if they couldn't give us a good answer, they were better off just leaving it alone. Instead, they ruined it in the last 2 seasons. And they took John Locke down with it. That basically means almost every episode is retroactively stupid now, cuz that was the most important mystery of the show from day 1, that kept popping up over and over and over again, and Locke was the most important character.

That one choice made the show something the biggest diehard fans couldn't even stand to rewatch, cuz they basically ripped out the soul of the show.

I think we're gonna look back on Lost the same way we look back on Star Wars now. If you showed someone who's never seen any of them all 6 SW movies, they'd say....that's kinda cool and interesting...kinda sad what came later, but I could definitely see how that was really hype at one point, and how it influenced everything after it. And that's basically all there is too.

edit: I tried to keep it short too. that's just the way I am I guess. :smh: :lol:

Last edited:
That writer strike killed alot of good shows. Heroes was another one.

I didnt see Lost when it originally aired.
But i was looking for a show with a lot of episodes and season on Netflix and decided to watch.

That first episode had me hooked. I watched a few more episodes and stopped. I decided to pace myself and would only watch a few episodes a day.
All in all I love how it kept you hooked from one episode to the next. And overall it was a good series.
But I do agree that it ended horribly. It was like they put off answering questions forever, and then in the last episode they tried to squeeze it all in.
And still didnt answer half of the questions.

But I still enjoyed the ride...until the end

I watched it from the beginning and kept up with it every week until it ended . I'm still confused as to what it was about overall.

Last edited:
You see the way people talk about television now? How there's the AV Club and 100 different bloggers and sites that go in on TV, the same way people used to breakdown and get into movies.

That's all Lost.

Before Lost, there was Alan Sepinwall and the random fan forums and that was it. That was the most anyone would really get into whatever your favorite show was. Reddit and Twitter didn't exist. You wouldn't have threads on sneaker websites going hard for True Detective, or so many people speaking as uh...eloquently or thoughtfully...(or compulsively tbh) about television, outside of maybe The Sopranos. Let alone a network TV show. You wouldn't have 1,000 of posts and pages breaking down mysteries and theories and frame by frame shots immediately after an ep was done.

All of that is because of Lost. Lost was the single most written about show ever. 23 million people watched the 2nd premiere live and half of them needed to talk aout the show immediately after each episode was done.

It was the Star Wars of modern TV.
edit: I tried to keep it short too. that's just the way I am I guess. :smh: :lol:

A+ post, sir

View media item 831959

Here is that PaleyFest panel if anyone wants to watch in full

They don't give a **** anymore, they make it clear they didn't have very many set plans for the story :lol: Basically they went in trying to set up as many mysteries to hook the viewer as possible

They don't give a **** anymore, they make it clear they didn't have very many set plans for the story :lol: Basically they went in trying to set up as many mysteries to hook the viewer as possible

This is why I sat through S5 with the stoneface. As that season progressed I knew there was no way they could answer the many questions they left open. Closing plot points are important to me and Lost failed 10x over.

Show is buns.

Back
Top Bottom