How do you manage your INBOX? vol. flooded work email

After 5 years of corporate office work, managing my inbox continues to be my kryptonite.  I'll have the one odd day out of the month (on a weekend) to go through my inbox and dwindle it down to a manageable size and delete all the unnecessary messages.

On a daily basis though, I find it a struggle to organize my inbox.  I get average about 50-75 emails a day, perhaps pennies compared to some of you, so I'm looking to see how you other NT'ers who work primarily through email manage your inbox.  Any tips and tricks? 

I use Outlook btw.

After 5 years of corporate office work, managing my inbox continues to be my kryptonite.  I'll have the one odd day out of the month (on a weekend) to go through my inbox and dwindle it down to a manageable size and delete all the unnecessary messages.

On a daily basis though, I find it a struggle to organize my inbox.  I get average about 50-75 emails a day, perhaps pennies compared to some of you, so I'm looking to see how you other NT'ers who work primarily through email manage your inbox.  Any tips and tricks? 

I use Outlook btw.

If your company uses outlook, you can create folders that are saved on your hard drive but appear in your outlook account. I usually move e-mail over 2 weeks old into those folders. Files in those folders do not impact inbox capacity. These folders are not to be confused with inbox sub-folders.

I filter all of my e-mails by projects, then I have a folder for important/urgent stuff, and have a folder for non-work non-sense.

Anything big like PowerPoint and Excel files get's filtered with the quickness. PowerPoint decks and Excel files will fill your inbox quickly, especially if they are filled with macros.

If your company uses outlook, you can create folders that are saved on your hard drive but appear in your outlook account. I usually move e-mail over 2 weeks old into those folders. Files in those folders do not impact inbox capacity. These folders are not to be confused with inbox sub-folders.

I filter all of my e-mails by projects, then I have a folder for important/urgent stuff, and have a folder for non-work non-sense.

Anything big like PowerPoint and Excel files get's filtered with the quickness. PowerPoint decks and Excel files will fill your inbox quickly, especially if they are filled with macros.

my school ods with the emails
mad.gif
 i'm highly debating blocking people

I filter emails based on who sends them. You can also enable pop-ups of emails from certain people.

I also filter emails based on keywords. Its not fool-proof and sometimes things can get routed to the wrong folder, but it works for the most part.

I also categorize emails. I carried over my gmail habit and "star" important emails. That way I can search through just the starred emails.

Last, but definitely not least, flag emails. Flagging emails puts them in a nice column on the right-hand side of outlook and makes for a nice "to do" list.

I filter emails based on who sends them. You can also enable pop-ups of emails from certain people.

I also filter emails based on keywords. Its not fool-proof and sometimes things can get routed to the wrong folder, but it works for the most part.

I also categorize emails. I carried over my gmail habit and "star" important emails. That way I can search through just the starred emails.

Last, but definitely not least, flag emails. Flagging emails puts them in a nice column on the right-hand side of outlook and makes for a nice "to do" list.

folders:

Fam
School
Angela
Shopping

only thing that stays in the main inbox is facebook

as soon as i read an email i put it into it's appropriate folder...but the iphone makes this insanely easy, especially when i get lazy and don't sort them for a couple of days

folders:

Fam
School
Angela
Shopping

only thing that stays in the main inbox is facebook

as soon as i read an email i put it into it's appropriate folder...but the iphone makes this insanely easy, especially when i get lazy and don't sort them for a couple of days

Four separate email addresses (work, personal, business, and junk) and Gmail aggregates them all.  This way I can view them individually or all scooped together.  I don't have to look at conference deadlines next to an email about my kid and I can compartmentalize things on my time (I'm managing business now, not responding to personal emails, etc.).  I can also bail on individual addresses if they become corrupt. 

I don't know if that's the sort of information you were looking for, but it's what works for me.

Four separate email addresses (work, personal, business, and junk) and Gmail aggregates them all.  This way I can view them individually or all scooped together.  I don't have to look at conference deadlines next to an email about my kid and I can compartmentalize things on my time (I'm managing business now, not responding to personal emails, etc.).  I can also bail on individual addresses if they become corrupt. 

I don't know if that's the sort of information you were looking for, but it's what works for me.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

100% cosign

pst files are your friend
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

100% cosign

pst files are your friend
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom