How difficult is it to wall mount a tv?

i did/helped with like 5 over the last couple months and have it pretty much down

1) go to monoprice.com and buy the mount you want...prices are crazy...figure out if you want a basic one, a tilt or a tilt and swivel...all depends on the space you are putting it in-
 while your on there grab your hdmi cables, zip ties and all of that
2) figure out where you want to mount...its best if you have help so someone can actually hold the tv while you sit where you will be watching from...the last joint we did was way to high cause the ceilings were low and we just lined it up off sight...had to move it down
3) get a studfinder and a level....hopefully you have some decent construction and your studs are standard length apart...find em, mark em and predrill....put the base up and make sure its level -

each mount will come with its own instructions but this is the basic...

i did/helped with like 5 over the last couple months and have it pretty much down

1) go to monoprice.com and buy the mount you want...prices are crazy...figure out if you want a basic one, a tilt or a tilt and swivel...all depends on the space you are putting it in-
 while your on there grab your hdmi cables, zip ties and all of that
2) figure out where you want to mount...its best if you have help so someone can actually hold the tv while you sit where you will be watching from...the last joint we did was way to high cause the ceilings were low and we just lined it up off sight...had to move it down
3) get a studfinder and a level....hopefully you have some decent construction and your studs are standard length apart...find em, mark em and predrill....put the base up and make sure its level -

each mount will come with its own instructions but this is the basic...

Yup, pretty standard IF you have all the correct tools (power drill/bits, level, studfinder, ratchet/sockets). If you don't have those, or a buddy with those, you might be better off to just pay somebody to do it. Will save you from buying any tools for one job, and probably hours of frustration if you're not handy 
laugh.gif
. That being said, I consider myself handy and still wrestled with mine for a couple hours. But I had to add a stud because my house is old (studs on 24 inch center, rather than the now standard 18).

I will say go and buy you a stud finder.........me and a friend did mines not hard at all

I will say go and buy you a stud finder.........me and a friend did mines not hard at all

Yup, pretty standard IF you have all the correct tools (power drill/bits, level, studfinder, ratchet/sockets). If you don't have those, or a buddy with those, you might be better off to just pay somebody to do it. Will save you from buying any tools for one job, and probably hours of frustration if you're not handy 
laugh.gif
. That being said, I consider myself handy and still wrestled with mine for a couple hours. But I had to add a stud because my house is old (studs on 24 inch center, rather than the now standard 18).

Originally Posted by larrivee7

studs on 24 inch center, rather than the now standard 18.
standard is 16 now.

don't think you need a ratchet and sockets, but probably depends on how big and heavy the TV is

standard is 16 now.

don't think you need a ratchet and sockets, but probably depends on how big and heavy the TV is

Dirty - yep you're right, oops. Forgot to mention too, sometimes the lag bolts aren't too great with the monoprice mounts (especially for bigger mounts/TVs). Not a bad idea to get better ones from the hardware store for a few bucks.
And if you get all the way done and your TV is a little off-level (and it's enough to bother you), just stick an allen wrench of the right size under the "hook" on the side that's low. Can you tell I'm speaking from experience? 
laugh.gif

Dirty - yep you're right, oops. Forgot to mention too, sometimes the lag bolts aren't too great with the monoprice mounts (especially for bigger mounts/TVs). Not a bad idea to get better ones from the hardware store for a few bucks.
And if you get all the way done and your TV is a little off-level (and it's enough to bother you), just stick an allen wrench of the right size under the "hook" on the side that's low. Can you tell I'm speaking from experience? 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

standard is 16 now.

A ratchet and socket would be needed if your mounting a big/heavy tv. No way screws would hold up over time with the stress applied to them. A bolt would be the way to go.

standard is 16 now.

A ratchet and socket would be needed if your mounting a big/heavy tv. No way screws would hold up over time with the stress applied to them. A bolt would be the way to go.

Originally Posted by sloanboy

Good idea, but it's not a necessity, look for guides online about hanging heavy things on drywall. That's what I did when I had some huge, heavy paintings to hang up.

Originally Posted by sloanboy

Good idea, but it's not a necessity, look for guides online about hanging heavy things on drywall. That's what I did when I had some huge, heavy paintings to hang up.

^you can use 100lb hangers for paintings and such.. but a mounted TV has it's center of gravity much further away from the wall.

personally, I wouldn't trust it

^you can use 100lb hangers for paintings and such.. but a mounted TV has it's center of gravity much further away from the wall.

personally, I wouldn't trust it

Helped a friend mount my 50" this past weekend, wasn't difficult at all. Just need a drill, stud finder and socket wrench. I bought my mount from monoprice, less than $30 shipped and the quality is excellent just as all the reviews said.

Helped a friend mount my 50" this past weekend, wasn't difficult at all. Just need a drill, stud finder and socket wrench. I bought my mount from monoprice, less than $30 shipped and the quality is excellent just as all the reviews said.

standard is 16 now.

Yup 16. Larger TV's might need an anchor that's all. No ratchet and sockets really unless your going into steel frames, but most pros won't even go into those.

The only benefit of having a pro is not having to worry about it being level and such. I drove myself crazy, so the second time around I bought a mount that tilts, swivels and rotates the TV. That way if it isn't level you can rotate the TV slightly. Laying on your side with the TV pimped on it's side
pimp.gif

You can also look into other options if you have a newer LED. Samsung used to sell a mount with its first LED that was basically a steel wire and it hung the TV like a picture frame. Those things are ridiculously light. The only downside was no tilting extension.

Buy a decent stud finder too. I helped my cousin run speaker wire in his wall and mount his surround sound. He had some cheap 10 dollar thing and it was beeping every 6 inches because his insulation was so damn dense.

BTW, Do not run the power cord in the wall. Most electricians will install a new outlet for you behind the TV and probably hang the TV for a small fee so that is always an option if your going for the clean look. I just did a wall cover that hides the cords. It's paintable so you can use leftover paint or whatever to make it blend.

standard is 16 now.

Yup 16. Larger TV's might need an anchor that's all. No ratchet and sockets really unless your going into steel frames, but most pros won't even go into those.

The only benefit of having a pro is not having to worry about it being level and such. I drove myself crazy, so the second time around I bought a mount that tilts, swivels and rotates the TV. That way if it isn't level you can rotate the TV slightly. Laying on your side with the TV pimped on it's side
pimp.gif

You can also look into other options if you have a newer LED. Samsung used to sell a mount with its first LED that was basically a steel wire and it hung the TV like a picture frame. Those things are ridiculously light. The only downside was no tilting extension.

Buy a decent stud finder too. I helped my cousin run speaker wire in his wall and mount his surround sound. He had some cheap 10 dollar thing and it was beeping every 6 inches because his insulation was so damn dense.

BTW, Do not run the power cord in the wall. Most electricians will install a new outlet for you behind the TV and probably hang the TV for a small fee so that is always an option if your going for the clean look. I just did a wall cover that hides the cords. It's paintable so you can use leftover paint or whatever to make it blend.

Back
Top Bottom