How Come Handshakes with My White Friends Are Always Weird.

Real talk.

If your black/hispanic, I just go for the straight up dap. If your white, fist bump or hand shake...I try to keep it as simple as possible to avoid an awkward situation.

For any dudes in West Indian families, do the older cats in ya'll fam go for the dap, then fist bump?

im gonna steal what Brolic Scholar said about the handshakes. Its worded so well
laugh.gif

Spoiler [+]
im still annoyed at how many times this has happened to me

Originally Posted by HOOD17

I never understood why they shake your hand to say hello then a few minutes later when you agree on something and they hit you with the "YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING N#$%@" they feel the need to do it again.

laugh.gif

I'm bout to troll my boys and greet them with a kiss on the cheek....have my girl recording from inside the bushes

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

Speaking of...

Skip to 1:18 because you don't want to hear that.

Wasn't that the !+%* from Rocket Power?
laugh.gif
Probably showing my age here, but folks was doing that wayy before Rocket Power. 

Thats that Pauly Shore Weasel action.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by KickHead23

From a white man's perspective its weird because we obviously are thinking about how in african american culture you usually dap it up and we don't want to have an awkward handshake so we think about doing it. But then we don't want to be wrong and then it's weird/racist so we get confused and by then the connection is already made and the awkwardness ensues.

laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by akajaedeuce

Originally Posted by ToneLow

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

I'm from So cali... and I know what you mean
laugh.gif

roll.gif

That's more for the Latin homies...if any of my boys tried that, automatic
indifferent.gif

If you get the 2 finger (middle and ring) handshake, it might be reasonable to suggest that he's bout that life.
This
laugh.gif

One of my boys would make people shake his hand again if they lead with the slap/knuckle bump
laugh.gif
Not really. I was so confused when I moved to SoCal by this handshake. Hispanic, Asian, and white dudes always give dap like this. That extra bump is so unnecessary.

As someone mentioned earlier its really just a case of different upbringing. White people growing up learn maybe 2-3 handshakes. Formal, non-formal, and maybe opposite sex. Minorities coming from urban settings learn more like 8-10 handshakes. Lemme detail a few.

- Business handshake. We all know that one.
- The "I know you" dap. A regular two part dap from thumb to fingers.
- The "I know you and we cool like that" dap. Preceding the two part tap you get the chest to chest inward motion and after dap is finished there might be a slight lingering of the palms to establish genuineness.
- The "I'm carrying something in my hand" side fist bump. Not a straight on fist bump. It's usually the bottom of your fist around the wrist area or maybe even the forearm. If the entire right hand is occupied you get a "pardon my left" fist bump (not handshake).
- The "bout that life" dap. Any handshake with more than 3 parts or independent hand gestures.
- The "family" dap. Regular dap followed by a quick hug. Reserved only for those you would call brother, whether related or not.
- The "female I don't want to smash" dap. A softer version of the business handshake.
- The "female I do want to smash" dap. Soft handshake lingering by the lower palm area. If she's a jump you might even tickle the palm of her hand with your index finger so she knows what time it is lol.
- The "I don't want to spend mad time dapping a dozen dudes up" fist bump/palm slap. Self-explanatory. Fast and efficient.
- The "we just did the damn thing" triple palm slap. Usually reserved for accomplishing a noble feat such as destroying another team in basketball.

There's probably a few more I'm forgetting. The point is that I think we learn things different situationally. I feel like white ppl are only told to have a firm handshake. Outside of that their next go to move is a fist bump. Nothing in between, basically missing out on a plethora of daps necessary to avoid social awkwardness.

Perfect analysis. This man gave the hubie brown breakdown of handshakes.lol all u need is a telestrator.

lived in norcal my whole life and we did the standard thumb over thumb and transition to 4 finger grip.

moved down to socal and learned it was standard to do a quick slap and fist bump. i always end up forgetting the fist bump and leave em hanging. my bad.

mytmouse76 wrote:

in HS a bunch of black had the longest handshakes ever...

and it
was different w/every person but they all remembered them and which one went
with who
laugh.gif

you black guys
are something else
laugh.gif

9:20-10:00 I do the the first one just to mess with people all the time.

Originally Posted by RavageBX

As someone mentioned earlier its really just a case of different upbringing. White people growing up learn maybe 2-3 handshakes. Formal, non-formal, and maybe opposite sex. Minorities coming from urban settings learn more like 8-10 handshakes. Lemme detail a few.

- The "I know you and we cool like that" dap. Preceding the two part tap you get the chest to chest inward motion and after dap is finished there might be a slight lingering of the palms to establish genuineness.
- The "I'm carrying something in my hand" side fist bump. Not a straight on fist bump. It's usually the bottom of your fist around the wrist area or maybe even the forearm. If the entire right hand is occupied you get a "pardon my left" fist bump (not handshake).
- The "bout that life" dap. Any handshake with more than 3 parts or independent hand gestures.
- The "family" dap. Regular dap followed by a quick hug. Reserved only for those you would call brother, whether related or not.
- The "female I don't want to smash" dap. A softer version of the business handshake.
- The "female I do want to smash" dap. Soft handshake lingering by the lower palm area. If she's a jump you might even tickle the palm of her hand with your index finger so she knows what time it is lol.
- The "I don't want to spend mad time dapping a dozen dudes up" fist bump/palm slap. Self-explanatory. Fast and efficient.
- The "we just did the damn thing" triple palm slap. Usually reserved for accomplishing a noble feat such as destroying another team in basketball.

There's probably a few more I'm forgetting. The point is that I think we learn things different situationally. I feel like white ppl are only told to have a firm handshake. Outside of that their next go to move is a fist bump. Nothing in between, basically missing out on a plethora of daps necessary to avoid social awkwardness.
well damb...
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

amazing breakdown. 

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

You going in for a regular handshake, they going in for a dap....
laugh.gif
Ah the classic paper and rock fumbling of greetings. 
You go in with the open hand ready for the dap, and he lands with a closed fist ready for the fist pound. 

Next thing you know you're both adjusting trying to match what the other one is doing and it ends in a cluster #$%# of fail. 

I just recover and end it off with 

tumblr_lp8pfqxlU61qkhgrf.gif

This @%+% right here is gold. 
You need to write a handbook for fools who don't know the man code. 

I know your wisdom exceeds farther than this. You needs publication. I'm printing this @%+% out and framing it at the crib so whenever some new cat walks in he'll already know the rules. 

roll.gif

I have different handshakes with Hispanics, Blacks, and Whites.

Barely mess up on handshakes, I know what kind of handshake they'll do by looking at their hand before the handshake and sometimes on feeling their hand.

Like yesterday at school, This white dude has seen me with white guys before (he chill with them too), and said "What's up" to me and proceeded to shake my hand, Just by knowing who I chill with he knew what kind of handshake to do. Didn't even mess up.
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom