How come caffeine addicts aren't ostracized by society?

And yes, caffeine addiction is a problem -- but I'm also addicted to a lot of drugs.

Coffee is actually very good for you and will extend your life by aiding your body's own natural digestive system.

Black. French-pressed.

And yes, Starbucks is a problem with their sweeteners and expensive prices. But let me put it this way: I'm thinking of investing well over $500 on 3000 watts of electricity installation in my car, just so that I can make my own coffee, fresh, and on-the-go. And that's just black coffee. French-pressed. With a $200 water-heater and two Contigo Autoseal coffee mugs.

Caffeine and nicotine and medical, all day.

OP makes a very important point. Caffeine is a drug and can be abused like any other. In fact there is reason to believe that the rise in caffeine use may have something to do with the rise in ADD in kids.

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2007/04/worse_than_the_flu.html

This is what happens when you have such a polarizing view on drugs (legal drugs = good, illegal drugs = bad), rather then encouraging a more complete understanding of the entire spectrum.

Caffeine, morphine, methamphetamine, codeine, there all connected one way or another.

Addiction to caffeine is a huge social problem that is not being talked about.

I've been ranting about this for about two months now.

OPs not complaining about coffee, it's the fact they need 3 cups of coffee, two 20oz cokes, and other sugar and caffeine stimulants just to sit behind a desk and type on a computer all day.

Then those same people need Ambien and whatever else to go to sleep at night.

These people are overly irrational damn near neurotic, and can be annoying as f---.

If you could organize this into a clear, coherent thought, that would be great. 

+1

I'm sure a cup of black coffee could help you do that as well. It has an effect of clarity on the mind as it stabilizes your blood sugar (unlike coffee with sugar and cream, which does kind of the opposite). I think you should grab a cup, sit down, and explain to me what the social problem is. What I think you should realize is that the problem is not the drug, or the plant bean, or the brew. The problem is consumer obsession and lack of knowledge. Coke-a-Cola, caffeine pills, redbulls, and sweeteners like aspartame should have nothing to do with my healthy, productive, relaxing black coffee. If more consumers knew about the benefits of black coffee, Starbucks addicts wouldn't be wasting their money and health; and non-coffee-drinkers wouldn't be complaining about the importance that we coffee lovers place on the drink. It has been around for so long now, that I would think a decent cup of coffee would be normal etiquette in business, work, and even everyday life.

Good post buggz...

Nothing wrong with caffeine because American culture is so fast paced, and if you're unable to keep up, and stay focused on the job you'll be replaced

At least that's why I feel the need to use it.

It's a struggle for me without caffeine. I'm not superman, but when I drink 4-5 cups of coffee I feel like I can take on any task in life.

Good post buggz...

Nothing wrong with caffeine because American culture is so fast paced, and if you're unable to keep up, and stay focused on the job you'll be replaced

At least that's why I feel the need to use it.

It's a struggle for me without caffeine. I'm not superman, but when I drink 4-5 cups of coffee I feel like I can take on any task in life.

Same here. But you have to realize that it is not just the caffeine, but also the other nutrients in the drink that are boosting your entire system. The reasons I say this is because as I stated before, I am very familiar with drug addiction and awareness is key. But you also have to have awareness for the other benefits of the drink as well if you want to maximize your performance (and I don't just mean in work either).

There was a 13-year study, done somewhat recently, that followed coffee drinkers. No matter the cause of death, the ones who drank the most black coffee lived the longest and by stretches of years.

Also, I would get familiar with cold-brew techniques (in general as well, with everything not just coffee) as it eliminates the acidity of coffee.

Same here. But you have to realize that it is not just the caffeine, but also the other nutrients in the drink that are boosting your entire system. The reasons I say this is because as I stated before, I am very familiar with drug addiction and awareness is key. But you also have to have awareness for the other benefits of the drink as well if you want to maximize your performance (and I don't just mean in work either).

There was a 13-year study, done somewhat recently, that followed coffee drinkers. No matter the cause of death, the ones who drank the most black coffee lived the longest and by stretches of years.

Also, I would get familiar with cold-brew techniques (in general as well, with everything not just coffee) as it eliminates the acidity of coffee.
Good looking. I'll look into that. 

Because no one is forced to S a D for their next fix.

Once that happens, the ostracizing will commence...I will carry a bag of coffee beans in my back pocket.

Drink 5 cups a day and coffee has no effect on me what so ever. I'll drink a Trenta (32 ounce?) latte on my way home after work and knock out easy. I just like the taste

Prob drink 12-16oz when I work (7p-7a 3-4 days a week)

Just started drinking coffee like a year ago...I just add a lil bit of creamer in mines

I agree, caffeine dependency is an addictive drug. I know people who get moody and shaky without their morning dose. Kind of sad really. Even with energy drinks high doses of caffeine will lead to health problems in the long run

Tea has alot of caffeine in it. I enjoy having tea, problem is the sugar people put it in. Thats why I have my coffee black so as not just be drinking straight sugar. Unsweeten tea is too gangsta for me :lol:

Tea has alot of caffeine in it. I enjoy having tea, problem is the sugar people put it in. Thats why I have my coffee black so as not just be drinking straight sugar. Unsweeten tea is too gangsta for me :lol:

Thanks. Which kind of tea is the best for energy?

^^^Well if you're going to Starbucks, the drink with the most caffeine is a chai tea latte.

For energy stay away from herbal teas. They taste great but are naturally caffeine free.

Because no one is forced to S a D for their next fix.

Once that happens, the ostracizing will commence...I will carry a bag of coffee beans in my back pocket.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom