How accurate is this portrayal of Muslims?

Originally Posted by ohdannyboy

Originally Posted by stateofsingularity

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

Originally Posted by Essential1

A billion and a half people practice Islam...

I can take a cross section of a billion and a half of any group and find sick, twisted, idiotic, monsters... But doesn't make them a representative body of that 1.5 billion people now does it..

Are the extremists crazy? YES

But by no means are they an accurate representation of the normal/average Islamic follower.
I understand that this is not an representation of all Muslims, but these Muslims don't "look" like extremists.  They look like normal people who live in a western country.  I didn't expect them to act like this.

Is there a basis for this kind of behavior in Islamic texts though?  If yes, shouldn't we have a problem with it? 
Black people would've have acted the exact same way if someone was blatantly disrespecting they're culture and history just to get a reaction out of them. It doesn't matter if this kind of behavior is found in Islamic text. When people are disrespect, they react.
I'm black by the way.
You're making a hell of a logical leap there
Just because blacks "would have done it too," doesn't make it right.
I used blacks because I am black and didn't want to offend anyone by using a different group. Any group of people will react when provoked.
You're right.  But a lot of people are willing to give Muslims a pass just because it's their beliefs or religion.  Then they have the audacity to say that Islam is a religion of peace.

I can take a cross section of a billion and a half of any group and find sick, twisted, idiotic, monsters... But doesn't make them a representative body of that 1.5 billion people now does it..

But by no means are they an accurate representation of the normal/average Islamic follower.
I understand that this is not an representation of all Muslims, but these Muslims don't "look" like extremists.  They look like normal people who live in a western country.  I didn't expect them to act like this.

Is there a basis for this kind of behavior in Islamic texts though?  If yes, shouldn't we have a problem with it? 
Black people would've have acted the exact same way if someone was blatantly disrespecting they're culture and history just to get a reaction out of them. It doesn't matter if this kind of behavior is found in Islamic text. When people are disrespect, they react.
I'm black by the way.
I used blacks because I am black and didn't want to offend anyone by using a different group. Any group of people will react when provoked.
I dig that, and I respect it too.

But what Im saying is that regardless of how many people would react that way, it still doesnt make it right.

I'm black by the way.
I dig that, and I respect it too.

But what Im saying is that regardless of how many people would react that way, it still doesnt make it right.

I'm black by the way.
You're right.  But a lot of people are willing to give Muslims a pass just because it's their beliefs or religion.  Then they have the audacity to say that Islam is a religion of peace.

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

I'm black by the way.

I think this is a good point. A lotta people in here dont understand the context of the video. Im Danish, being Swedish is basically the same thing as far as attitudes and societal norms go.

The muslims in that video have spent mannnnnny years if not their entire lifetime in Sweden, I can tell from their accent. Their Swedish muslims, for all intents and purposes. The filmmaker, Lars, made that video taunting them and seeking to provoke them, thats socially acceptable in Scandinavia, as sad as it is. Overt racism is perfectly acceptable.

Free speech is so sad...
frown.gif

and so what if X people would've reacted the same way, there is no justification for it. 

I didnt say it was justified, I said dude would have made his own death, and thats not surprising. He could accomplish that by offending ANYONE i the sample size is big enough.

you said you couldn't blame his killers.... how is that not justifying their actions?

I'm black by the way.

I think this is a good point. A lotta people in here dont understand the context of the video. Im Danish, being Swedish is basically the same thing as far as attitudes and societal norms go.

The muslims in that video have spent mannnnnny years if not their entire lifetime in Sweden, I can tell from their accent. Their Swedish muslims, for all intents and purposes. The filmmaker, Lars, made that video taunting them and seeking to provoke them, thats socially acceptable in Scandinavia, as sad as it is. Overt racism is perfectly acceptable.

Free speech is so sad...
frown.gif

and so what if X people would've reacted the same way, there is no justification for it. 

I didnt say it was justified, I said dude would have made his own death, and thats not surprising. He could accomplish that by offending ANYONE i the sample size is big enough.

you said you couldn't blame his killers.... how is that not justifying their actions?

I'm black by the way.

But if you the muslims when targeted because of their religion reacted that way because of their religion, thats like saying blacks when targeted because of their race reacted that way because of their race.

I'm black by the way.

But if you the muslims when targeted because of their religion reacted that way because of their religion, thats like saying blacks when targeted because of their race reacted that way because of their race.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Okay, replace the rape with consensual sex where its some of that kinky +%@% with your mom tied up and being slapped around. I guarantee you a few people would freak out and want to kill the dude after watching him and their mother do the deed like that. Its an unprovoked insult and sometimes there are gonna be repurcussions and you cant act all surprised and innocent when they occur because you knew ahead of time what you were doing by sending the video to that moms son, or in this case making some video that you are well aware will offend millions of people worldwide by striking at that which they hold highest above all else, above their own lives.

yea but according to the law of that particular country, and in the hypothetical situation you gave retaliation with violence is a crime deserving of punishment. You can't come into someone else's country expecting them to adopt your religious views especially when it conflicts with their laws.

People get hung for blasphemy in Muslim countries, you can't expect everyone to adopt such sentiments in a foreign society.
that would be a crime both here and there, in both the hypothetical situation with sex and murder, whats your point? or am I misunderstanding?

my point is we shouldn't make excuses for people who retaliate with violence in these situations.

If my girlfriend cheated on me, and I killed her....no one would respond "she asked for it". Although in certain societies that practice cough *islam* cough, this scenario would be justified.

actually I think some people would respond like that in this situation and even more people if it was something of more importance. Insulting religion like that isnt some trivial thing like plain old cheating, if she did something way worse a lotta people might actually say "yeah she earned it"

well some people find cheating very important.....some people would argue that cheating may illicite a stronger emotional response than religion. Or insulting one's mother....or insulting one's shoes. What is important/ or not important to people varies but in all these situations homicidal retaliation is unwarranted and excuses should not be made.

BINGO.

And fortunately, outside of some triggers ("fighting words", finding one's spouse in bed with another person) the law is unflinchingly strict about its proscription against vigilantism

Hooray for rational logic

Okay, replace the rape with consensual sex where its some of that kinky +%@% with your mom tied up and being slapped around. I guarantee you a few people would freak out and want to kill the dude after watching him and their mother do the deed like that. Its an unprovoked insult and sometimes there are gonna be repurcussions and you cant act all surprised and innocent when they occur because you knew ahead of time what you were doing by sending the video to that moms son, or in this case making some video that you are well aware will offend millions of people worldwide by striking at that which they hold highest above all else, above their own lives.

yea but according to the law of that particular country, and in the hypothetical situation you gave retaliation with violence is a crime deserving of punishment. You can't come into someone else's country expecting them to adopt your religious views especially when it conflicts with their laws.

People get hung for blasphemy in Muslim countries, you can't expect everyone to adopt such sentiments in a foreign society.
that would be a crime both here and there, in both the hypothetical situation with sex and murder, whats your point? or am I misunderstanding?

my point is we shouldn't make excuses for people who retaliate with violence in these situations.

If my girlfriend cheated on me, and I killed her....no one would respond "she asked for it". Although in certain societies that practice cough *islam* cough, this scenario would be justified.

actually I think some people would respond like that in this situation and even more people if it was something of more importance. Insulting religion like that isnt some trivial thing like plain old cheating, if she did something way worse a lotta people might actually say "yeah she earned it"

well some people find cheating very important.....some people would argue that cheating may illicite a stronger emotional response than religion. Or insulting one's mother....or insulting one's shoes. What is important/ or not important to people varies but in all these situations homicidal retaliation is unwarranted and excuses should not be made.

BINGO.

And fortunately, outside of some triggers ("fighting words", finding one's spouse in bed with another person) the law is unflinchingly strict about its proscription against vigilantism

Hooray for rational logic

Its That Dude wrote:

what exactly was the purpose of this thread if you already had your mind made up on how you feel about Muslims?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and generally speaking, people don't change their opinions on a regular basis... our opinions are rigid and defined.

We will believe what we want to believe, so if you want to believe Islam is a religion of violence, then you will try to justify your opinion at any cost.

My opinion is in absolutely no way unbiased, I am a Muslim and I will always argue in favor of my religion being a religion of peace.

That being said, I hope that whoever has any curiosity about Islam...whether it be fueled by positive, neutral or negative influences... please look at the religion objectively as possible before saying something definitive about it.
IE

LetItShine24 wrote:
I do not agree with the muslim religion is all aspects...

indifferent.gif

Yo LetItShine24, 

Islam preaches charity (as in giving to the poor), do you disagree with charity (I can get specific verses from the Quran if you'd like)?

eyes.gif

Unless you're on some Ayn Rand type steez, I don't think you disagree with this.

That being said, do you actually disagree with Islam in ALL aspects?

And if you still say yes, give me some damn specifics.

Its That Dude wrote:

what exactly was the purpose of this thread if you already had your mind made up on how you feel about Muslims?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and generally speaking, people don't change their opinions on a regular basis... our opinions are rigid and defined.

We will believe what we want to believe, so if you want to believe Islam is a religion of violence, then you will try to justify your opinion at any cost.

My opinion is in absolutely no way unbiased, I am a Muslim and I will always argue in favor of my religion being a religion of peace.

That being said, I hope that whoever has any curiosity about Islam...whether it be fueled by positive, neutral or negative influences... please look at the religion objectively as possible before saying something definitive about it.
IE

LetItShine24 wrote:
I do not agree with the muslim religion is all aspects...

indifferent.gif

Yo LetItShine24, 

Islam preaches charity (as in giving to the poor), do you disagree with charity (I can get specific verses from the Quran if you'd like)?

eyes.gif

Unless you're on some Ayn Rand type steez, I don't think you disagree with this.

That being said, do you actually disagree with Islam in ALL aspects?

And if you still say yes, give me some damn specifics.

I'm black by the way.
Actually, Islam has been more tolerant than Christianity throughout the ages. But while other religions have grown more liberal, Islam has seen a surge in extremism/fundamentalism, particularly with the emergence of the Wahabi strain of Islam shortly after Saudi Arabia's independence.

As an aside,Saddam Hussein had perma-banned the proselytization of Wahabism, under pain of death. That's how much of a threat to his secular republic he considered it to be.

I'm black by the way.
Actually, Islam has been more tolerant than Christianity throughout the ages. But while other religions have grown more liberal, Islam has seen a surge in extremism/fundamentalism, particularly with the emergence of the Wahabi strain of Islam shortly after Saudi Arabia's independence.

As an aside,Saddam Hussein had perma-banned the proselytization of Wahabism, under pain of death. That's how much of a threat to his secular republic he considered it to be.

Props stateofsingularity for knowing your stuff, not many people understand that it is preposterous to judge whole groups of people.

Props stateofsingularity for knowing your stuff, not many people understand that it is preposterous to judge whole groups of people.

I'm black by the way.
Your're also correct when you say that Muslims are getting a pass, especially in America, just because of their beliefs. I feel the exact same. But the group in this video just happened to Muslims. You could've have substituted the Muslims w/ literally any group, and that group, if disrespected to a certain degree, would've have acted the same. 
If someone rapes and murders x persons wife, and x person finds the guy and murders him, are x person's actions not justified even tho he's wrong?

I'm black by the way.
Your're also correct when you say that Muslims are getting a pass, especially in America, just because of their beliefs. I feel the exact same. But the group in this video just happened to Muslims. You could've have substituted the Muslims w/ literally any group, and that group, if disrespected to a certain degree, would've have acted the same. 
If someone rapes and murders x persons wife, and x person finds the guy and murders him, are x person's actions not justified even tho he's wrong?

Who is the victim from the making of this video?  Your hypothetical situation has a murdered rape victim.

Who is the victim from the making of this video?  Your hypothetical situation has a murdered rape victim.

Applause to Christians for moving away from fundamentalism.  Thumbs down to Muslims for going backwards (or staying the same?).

Back
Top Bottom