++Houston Texans Thread Offseason 2016++ Pre-Season @ Dallas

Some transactions in the last two weeks:

08/18/2016 The following Houston Texans player passed his physical and is no longer on the Active/Non-Football Injury list: OLB Brennan Scarlett
08/16/2016 The Houston Texans signed the following free agent to the active roster: DE Alex Carrington
08/16/2016 The Texans waived-injured the following player from the active roster: FB Soma Vainuku
08/11/2016 The Houston Texans waived the following player from Reserve/Injured with an injury settlement: Richard Leonard
08/03/2016 The Houston Texans waived the following player from the active roster: CB Cleveland Wallace III
08/03/2016 The Houston Texans signed the following undrafted free agent to the active roster: T Matt Pierson

On the PUP list
7aea9d54da5ba116e84a6d41fbe8c57d.jpg

With training camp winding down and the start of the regular season three weeks away, the Houston Texans main goal is to start the season healthy.

AROUND COVER32

Bold Predictions: What to expect for Preseason Week 2

The Houston Texans are the reigning AFC South champions. With the Indianapolis Colts having a healthy Andrew Luck and the potential for a potent running game with the Tennessee Titans, there is one thing the Texans must be when leaving camp: healthy.

Already without star defensive end J.J. Watt for the start of the season, pressure will be on other in the defense to step up. Linebackers Brian Cushing and Jadeveon Clowney did not play at all during the first preseason game. Both have been known to suffer from injuries throughout their brief careers, and both with be needed to start the season. Last season was the first that Cushing played all 16 regular season games since 2011. Clowney has not done so in either of his two years.

On the offensive side of the ball, the running game will be the mainstay all season. Coach Bill O’Brien will rely on his core of running backs, led by Lamar Miller, to pound the ball up the middle and off the edge in order to put the team in manageable third downs and move the offense forward. Additionally, starting quarterback Brock Osweiler will need time to allow plays to develop and deliver the ball on time. However, a healthy offensive line will be needed.

Any offensive line will tell you that they need consistent work together in order to learn the strengths and weaknesses of each other and generate a rhythm. So far, three starting linemen – Derek Newton, Duane Brown, and Nick Martin – have not seen game action, and will not again tonight versus the New Orleans Saints. The silver lining is that other players will get time in the starting rotation. If Newton, Brown, and Martin are unavailable at the start of the season, the offensive line will have a sense of familiarity with each other.

The Houston Texans host the Saints at NRG Stadium. Win or lose, their healthy will be most important.

Would have liked to see more points put up yesterday, but it was a good performance overall. Glad Brock stayed in longer, though I kind of wanted him to go back out over the interception. The running game wasn't all that good in comparison to the passing game, but that was to be expected with the shuffling around. Brock and Fuller have a good amount of chemistry, so that's great to see. I also like seeing the ball spread around in general. So many guys were making catching and it was a welcome change. This season shouldn't have to be Hopkins or bust.

The defense gave up less big plays than last week, but still stayed the course as far as the redzone. Clowney looked great, and I wanted him taken out immediately once he sacked Brees :lol: gotta save that for the regular season but it was great to see. Really looking forward to how both sides of the ball looks once everybody is as close to healthy as possible.

View media item 2140115View media item 2140116View media item 2140117View media item 2140118View media item 2140119
Als, I look at the Texans roster on a regular basis and i was still seeing guys names I've never seen before :lol: mostly Scarlett and Lee.

Last edited:
Going into year 15 of the franchise, I've realized there is absolutely nothing worse than pre season football.

Wake me up when the regular season starts :lol:

Preseason may be meaningless but I do know one thing, Cush & McKinney can't run.

And that's not good.

Again, preseason but that Saints game he looked shout at good laterally as the first time he got injured.

And you lied to us btw :nerd:

i thought it was very fitting that the radio had been talking up McKinney a lot, only for him to go into the toilet the next game :lol:

As if we didn't have enough o-line shuffling already

Nick Martin expected to miss season with ankle injury

The Texans sustained a huge blow to their offensive line on Thursday.

Second-round pick and projected starting center Nick Martin is expected to miss the entire season due to an ankle injury that requires surgery, according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport.

The 23-year-old drew comparisons to his brother, Cowboys guard Zack, and was a favorite of head coach Bill O'Brien's heading into the regular season. Martin sustained the injury a week ago during a practice against the New Orleans Saints.

While we can overrate the quarterback-center relationship at times, we can't imagine Brock Osweiler is excited about losing Martin. Just like he'll need to put in extra hours with Braxton Miller, Will Fuller and DeAndre Hopkins, he'll need to learn the ins and outs of veteran Tony Bergstrom, or whoever ends up securing the job long-term.

The Texans have made heavy investments in their offensive line over the past few seasons but, unfortunately, haven't had the health and proper circumstances to see them pan out. Former second-round pick Xavier Su'a-Filo (2014) is just now coming into his own. We'll have to wait another year to see what Martin can truly become.

ouch we were already wishing/hoping he could be a standout without knowing/having certainty.

add Su'a-Filo not looking like anything close to the 1st pick of the 2nd round (even more spotlight on him to perform now)...Duane Brown's health/potential decline.....Derek Newton was already bottom 3 starting Tackles in the league imo :lol:

I hope we can find a way to keep Brock comfortable in the pocket as well as let our run game flourish. It all can easily collapse if we're bummy in the trenches. playmakers are gonna have to show out heavy

"Next man up"

Help :x :lol: I do not like Greg Mancz possibly being the starting center. He doesn't suck, but he just seems under-sized to me for that position

Right :lol:? I'm picturing Chris Myers being tossed by a DT like he's Trindon Holliday

Myers did make the Pro Bowl though :nerd:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom