Houston Texans Pre-Season 2014 - NT Bowl 2.5...Battle For Roster Spots

Houston Texans' Shaun Cody undergoes back surgery

The Houston Texans are encouraged by linebacker Brian Cushing's progress following in-season knee surgery, but he isn't the only player in Houston facing offseason rehabilitation.

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reported Friday that Shaun Cody, the Texans' 307-pound nose tackle, underwent back surgery in Los Angeles last week. Cody had "microscopic lumbar discectomy surgery for a lumbar disc herniation," per the report.

Cody initially injured his back during the preseason, but played through the pain while also enduring broken ribs and a punctured lung along the way.

Cody, 30, has started in 56 of his 58 appearances with the Texans over the past four seasons, but his future in Houston is murky. He's set to become a free agent in March, but isn't viewed as a premier player at his position. The Texans have three-year pro Earl Mitchell and Terrell McClain, a project, behind Cody and might seek help in the draft.

Pretty sure Cody isn't gonna be back next season.

McNair says entire team, not just Schaub, has to step up

In the wake of the Texans’ disappointing end to the season, fans and media have piled criticism on quarterback Matt Schaub.

Critics have suggested the Texans won’t be able to win a Super Bowl with Schaub, who is 20-8 (.714) as a starter since 2011, as their quarterback. Texans coach Gary Kubiak and numerous players have publicly come to Schaub’s defense, saying that the entire team needs to play better than they did during their 2-4 finish to the season, which ended with a loss at New England in the Divisional Round of the playoffs.

Texans chairman and CEO Bob McNair feels the same way.

“I don’t think it’s justified,” McNair said Tuesday. “I think Matt had a good year, and I think all of us need to play better when the limelight is brighter. And we didn’t do that. But that wasn’t just Matt; we have 53 people on that team, and everybody needs to step it up. We need to step it up. I need to do better. Everybody needs to do better in this organization to get us there.”

A year ago at this time, the prevailing sentiment among NFL observers was that the Texans could have been a Super Bowl team if Schaub had been healthy. Schaub suffered a season-ending Lisfranc injury in Week 10 of the 2011 season at Tampa Bay, eventually leaving rookie fifth-round draft pick T.J. Yates in charge of the offense in the Texans’ inaugural playoff appearance. The Texans lost 20-13 in the Divisional Round at Baltimore despite a dominant defensive performance.

Schaub did not participate in OTAs and mini-camp last offseason as he recovered from his foot injury. After receiving medical clearance over the summer, he returned in time for training camp and started every regular-season game. Interestingly, McNair suggested the injury might have had an effect on Schaub’s play in 2012.

“I think that the injury he had did slow him down some,” McNair said. “He was probably in the back of his mind a little concerned about reinjuring his foot, and we certainly didn’t want to see that happen. He’s gonna work hard in the offseason on improving his foot speed, and I think that will happen.”

Schaub made his second Pro Bowl in the last four seasons in 2012. He threw for 4,008 yards, 22 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. He had a passer rating of 90.7, which ranked ninth in the NFL and fourth in the AFC.

Since becoming the Texans’ starter in 2007, Schaub ranks ninth in the NFL with a 93.3 passer rating and seventh with 65.1 completion percentage.

“Matt has all the ability in the world,” McNair said. “We haven’t said that he was, quote, ‘the best quarterback in the league.’ He’s certainly one of the top 10. We’ve said that all along and we feel that way, and he can be one of the top five. I think he has the ability to do that. He hasn’t quite gotten there yet, but that’s not to say that he won’t get there.”

Couple of random things since the last post...

- Smith/Kub have WR and ILB as the biggest priorities coming into this draft, whether or not Barwin is resigned.

- If there's a standout Tackle/Guard for the right side, they're not hesitating to grab him.

- Though they'd like to resign both Quin and Barwin, Quin is more than likely going to be the only one resigned.

- Haven't heard Casey's name come up much, if at all, meaning he's probably gone. I'd like to see him back just cause he is both a good FB and even better TE, but it would be nice to have a bruising FB to free Casey just to catch passes.

- Just like Winston getting cut last year, 1 or 2 surprising cuts will be made since we don't have much cap room. Walter's name has been coming up a lot (rightfully so with his contract). Unfortunately, I've heard Antonio Smith's name come up too. I hope he's not gone cause he was the most consistent guy while everybody else (other than Watt) were MIA.

Hopefully any player who leaves here doesn't go to the Ravens, and especially the ****** Colts. I hate them.

Last edited:
Not using franchise tag helps Texans with salary cap

Rather than use the franchise tag, the Texans prefer to sign Glover Quin and other key team free agents to long-term deals. (Smiley N. Pool/Chronicle)
Last year, the Texans entered the offseason $20 million over the $120.6 million salary cap. After releasing some players and restructuring a few contracts, they were $4.7 million under the cap by the deadline that signaled the start of free agency.

This year, the Texans are $7.6 million under a cap that will be $123 million at the start of free agency March 12.

Today is the deadline for teams to designate franchise players. The Texans haven’t used the franchise tag on a player since 2009, when they did so with cornerback Dunta Robinson.

The Texans are hoping to re-sign players like free safety Glover Quin, outside linebacker Connor Barwin, cornerback Brice McCain and fullback James Casey, among others.

General manager Rick Smith and vice president of football administration Chris Olsen are at the front of all negotiations.

Expect a lot of movement as free agency approaches.

The reason the Texans aren’t using the franchise tag on a player like Quin is because he would get $6.9 million this year, which would use almost all of their current cap. Tagging Barwin would cost $9.6 million.

The Texans are hoping to sign Quin and Barwin to long-term deals that would reduce their cap figures to less than what their franchise designations would be.

They also hope to sign players like inside linebacker Brian Cushing and defensive end Antonio Smith to extensions. Both are in the last year of their contracts.

An extension for Smith, who is coming off the two best seasons of his career, would significantly lower his $9.5 million cap hit that includes a $6 million base salary.

Obviously, the Texans will need more room under the cap to accomplish their goals of re-signing and extending players. Being $7.6 million under the cap today doesn’t take into account other player expenditures like the rookie pool for draft choices.

Before everything is done, the Texans will rework contracts. Last year, they restructured receiver Andre Johnson’s deal to free up $5.2 million. Johnson has a $14.6 million cap figure, and he is scheduled to make a base salary of $9.5 million. They could give him his base salary as a signing bonus and prorate it over the life of his new deal, which could free up another $4 million to $5 million.

Because of the Texans’ philosophy of signing their core players to long-term deals and building through the draft, they aren’t expected to spend big bucks on free agents from other teams. Eventually, they will sign some free agents, but they will be the cheaper, more affordable kind.

The Texans’ needs in the draft haven’t changed.

Not counting the possible defections of players like Barwin, Quin, Casey and McCain, they need a wide receiver who can play opposite Johnson and stretch the field.

They need an offensive tackle because they have no depth. Only Duane Brown and Derek Newton are under contract. Newton is progressing well after undergoing major knee surgery after the playoffs.

They need an inside linebacker to play next to Cushing, who is recovering from knee surgery. Darryl Sharpton, who finished the last two seasons on injured reserve, is under contract. Bradie James, Tim Dobbins and Barrett Ruud will be unrestricted.

They need a backup nose tackle if Shaun Cody isn’t re-signed. Earl Mitchell, who played more than at any previous time in his career, would be promoted to a starting job.

Obviously, if the Texans lose Quin, they will have to replace him by adding a free safety to the roster.

If they lose Barwin, he will be replaced in the lineup by Whitney Mercilus, but they still will have to draft another linebacker.

A lot of moves will be made before the Texans report to training camp, but they are in a lot better shape on the salary cap this year than last year.

Kevin Walter released to save cap space

Like offensive tackle Eric Winston last year, receiver Kevin Walter has been a victim of the salary cap.

Walter, 31, a six-year starter in his seven seasons with the Texans, was released today to free up $2.5 million under the salary cap.

The Texans had $7.2 under the cap. Now they are $9.7 million, but that doesn’t include the rookie pool that will be established by the NFL later in the offseason.

Walter signed with the Texans in 2006 as a restricted free agent from Cincinnati. Last season, he had 41 catches for 518 yards and two touchdowns. Coach Gary Kubiak, who came to the Texans the same season as Walter, was a big fan of the 10-year veteran.

With Walter gone, it opens a spot for another receiver to play opposite Andre Johnson. It’s the biggest need on the team, one the Texans are expected to address with a high draft choice.

This was expected, kept hearing his name come up for weeks now leading up to today. I'll salute Walter, he made some amazing catches over the years and some clutch ones, and overall has been productive for us. But going forward there had to be a change, and if not now, then when???

I'm trying to figure out why we couldn't cut walter and Antonio Smith and make that deal for boldin

I'm trying to figure out why we couldn't cut walter and Antonio Smith and make that deal for boldin

no lie.

i came in here to ask this same thing.

trade for Q and draft a huge NT / LB and be done with it.

im assuming the Ravens didnt want to trade him to the AFC esp another contender :smh:

hopefully Allen is there when we pick, i highly doubt Austin is :smh:

and thanks Walter for those catches over the years :pimp:

^Cause that Boldin deal was solely between the Ravens and Niners, probably even in a tampering way. Boldin was going nowhere but to the Niners, which is why we never saw any interest gauged by other teams. Had that happened, for a 6th round pick, everybody would've been all over that.

Last edited:
We're gonna be so f***** by the salary cap soon. Watt and Cush gonna need new deals. Schaub and foster making too much money. Gotta hit on draft picks and thrive with rookies making nothing

Eh, Foster has a nice amount, Schaub is the one who makes too much. But that's why we try to "build through the draft", "resign our own guys", and "sign non-premium FAs." *coughs*

But signing those premium FAs in 2011 got the team to where they are today. Only bad contract on the team is Schaub and they were sorta backed into a corner with that deal.

Looking back would you do anything different? I wouldn't.

I said non-premium FAs, as in the Bradie James variety. In 2011, the Texans had cap room and desperation on their hands after that awful 2010 season. This year we have no money and have wait in the rafters like Sting during the A-grade FA selections.

And most of the A list FAs are going to the bottom feeder teams right? Same position we were in 2 years ago.

I mean Baltimore is coming off a SB win and they are cutting costs left & right. Remember Philly winning March with the Dream Team 2 years ago? i believe a gang of those guys are gone now. Just the way it goes.

I can see that as far as Philly and BMore, but it's definitely a different feel here this year. We do have to save money for Cush and Watt's contracts, but it just feels like no man's land right now. If we are actually using a Pats and Niners mindset, that would be great, but if not, the massive turnover and being cash strapped will cripple us.

Smith may well be cut next to prepare for Watt's deal.

We would probably approach FA like NE & SF if we actually were winning like NE & SF. :lol:

I'm not going to sign the Mike Wallaces of the world in FA, but I'd at least like for us to be able to secure decent pieces to add to an established core. I guess I just don't like the core

:x :x i knew the Lions would trap him up there. You got the juice now Shiloh Keo Eddie Pleasant

Last edited:
Texans bringing back Brice McCain

The Texans have reached a deal with cornerback Brice McCain, John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reported Tuesday night.

The 26-year-old McCain defended eight passes and had one interception in 12 games for Houston in 2012 (two starts).

McCain’s reported return helps the Texans’ cornerback depth. Alan Ball, a reserve corner for Houston in 2012, joined Jacksonville earlier in free agency Johnathan Joseph and Kareem Jackson are the Texans’ starting cornerbacks.

The Texans were No. 16 in passing yards per game allowed a season ago but ranked ninth in yards per pass surrendered.

The Baltimore Ravens already lost one future Hall of Fame defensive player this offseason when Ray Lewis retired.

Make it two now that free safety Ed Reed is heading to the Houston Texans.

Reed has ended his nine-year career with the Ravens by agreeing to contract terms with the Texans, CBS Sports first reported.

Reed had narrowed his options to the Texans and Ravens after taking a free-agent visit to Houston last week. The Texans sent team owner Bob McNair’s private jet to fly in Reed and made a hard push to sign him but couldn’t immediately seal the deal as he considered returning to the Ravens.

Reed becomes the latest Ravens player to leave the defending Super Bowl champion. Lewis and center Matt Birk retired, wide receiver Anquan Boldin was traded to San Francisco and strong safety Bernard Pollard was cut. Three others who played a significant role in Baltimore’s championship run -- outside linebacker Paul Kruger (Cleveland), inside linebacker Dannell Ellerbe (Miami) and cornerback Cary Williams (Philadelphia) – signed elsewhere as free agents. The Ravens also could lose left tackle Bryant McKinnie in free agency.

CIRCLE THE DATE
Now that the NFL's 2013 calendar year has begun, here's what fans have to look forward to.
The Ravens are courting a potential free-agent replacement for Reed in Michael Huff, who was released by Oakland earlier this month after seven seasons with the Raiders. Reed’s injury history, age (34) and general manager Ozzie Newsome’s prudence in managing the team’s salary cap are believed to have contributed to a contract offer that couldn’t match what the Texans were bidding. The Baltimore Sun reported that Reed received $7 million guaranteed as part of a two-year contract.

Reed brings veteran savvy to a Texans secondary that was looking to replace free-agent departure Glover Quin (Detroit). A seven-time Pro Bowl selection and the 2004 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, the ball-hawking Reed has more interceptions (61) than any player since he entered the league as a 2002 first-round draft pick. Reed also holds the NFL record for interception return yardage (1,541) and has scored 14 career touchdowns on defense and special-teams returns.

HOUSTON -- Ed Reed knew right from the start of free agency that he wanted to play for the Texans and that his days in Baltimore were finished.

The nine-time Pro Bowl safety signed a three-year, $15 million contract with Houston on Friday, adding championship experience to the Texans' defense and leaving the reigning Super Bowl champions without yet another of their cornerstone players.

What Has Houston Landed?
Houston brought on a safety in Ed Reed who will give any opposing QB second thoughts about throwing deep. In the past three seasons (including playoffs), Reed has a league-high 17 picks. Twelve of those have come at least 15 yards downfield, good for second-most in the league.

-- ESPN Stats & Information
Reed said Texans general manager Rick Smith called him on the first day of free agency and the Texans were his first choice from that point on.

"I think we both knew, just from the conversation, how things were going and how this would work," Reed said. "It just was a matter of time with getting it done."

The Texans' gain was one more offseason blow to Baltimore, where Reed played his first 11 NFL seasons.

Star linebacker Ray Lewis retired, and the Ravens traded receiver Anquan Boldin to the 49ers. With salary-cap limitations, Baltimore lost linebackers Paul Kruger (Cleveland) and Dannell Ellerbe (Miami) and cornerback Cary Williams (Philadelphia) in free agency. The Ravens also cut safety Bernard Pollard, who signed with Tennessee.

"How fortunate we were to have Ed with us for 11 seasons," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "He is one of the Ravens' and NFL's all-time greats. Words cannot measure what he did for us, including helping us win a second Super Bowl. We thank him for all he did for Baltimore. Ed will always be a part of the Ravens family."

Reed said he talked to Newsome, Ravens coach John Harbaugh and owner Steve Bisciotti before signing with Houston.

"Eleven years is a great book," Reed said. "The way it ended, you can't write a better script. Eventually, we knew Baltimore had to make decisions, and in the end, they made those decisions."

But Reed called Houston "a perfect fit," and already knows the Texans well from their three meetings with Baltimore since October 2011. He sees the Texans now where the Ravens used to be.

Baltimore lost to Pittsburgh in the 2008 AFC Championship Game, then lost in the divisional playoffs in 2009 and '10. The Ravens lost to the Patriots in the 2011 AFC championship before their breakthrough last season.

Reed is hoping to be the last piece Houston needs.

"I've watched these guys so many times," Reed said. "I've played against them, I know what this team has, I know what this organization has. I know what I'm coming into, as far as the mentality. There's a goal that's been set, from top to bottom. I come in just for that, I come in to play championship football."

The Texans needed to nab Reed after absorbing other significant losses in free agency. Tight end James Casey and outside linebacker Connor Barwin signed with Philadelphia, and safety Glover Quin signed with Detroit after starting every game for Houston in the past three seasons.

Texans owner Bob McNair said Houston's secondary needed more veteran leadership, particularly in big games. Last season, Houston won 13 games, but was badly beaten by Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay and twice by Tom Brady and New England, the second time in the playoffs.

Baltimore and Reed, meanwhile, beat the Patriots in the AFC Championship Game, their third win in the last five meetings. McNair acknowledged that the Ravens' success against New England was part of the appeal of luring Reed.

"It was quite clear that Baltimore was able to play the Patriots and they were very effective," McNair said. "I think their center fielder had a lot to do with that. The quarterback (Brady) has commented that the first thing he'd do when he got up to the line, he'd look for No. 20 and he wanted to know where he was. Ed studies it so well, understands it so well, that it reaches a point where he could sort of think like the other quarterback."

Experience aside, the Texans also believe Reed can still play at an elite level.

Reed was the NFL's top defensive player in 2004 and he's intercepted nine passes in 15 career postseason games. He's also been durable, playing in all 16 games in all but three of his seasons. He's dealt with hip, neck and right shoulder injuries in recent years, but he made it through the entire 2012 season without missing a game, making 58 tackles and intercepted four passes.

"To say we have added a player who can impact a game is an understatement," Smith said. "I am truly thankful that this deal came together. We always talk about player acquisitions, what are you trying to do, whether it's in the draft or free agency? We're trying to add players that are quality men, that make an impact on the game. Certainly, we feel like we've done that with Mr. Reed."

Houston wasn't shy about its plans to pursue Reed, announcing on Twitter that it was sending McNair's private jet to pick up Reed in Atlanta, where he has an offseason home.

Reed spent two days in the city and had dinner with Texans star receiver Andre Johnson, one of his college teammates at Miami. The two played on the Hurricanes' 2001 national championship team, and Johnson said at a public appearance last week that he and Reed talked about playing together in the pros some day.

Even though Reed left town last week without signing a contract, Johnson was optimistic that Reed would become a Texan, and he turned out to be right. It helped Houston's chances that Reed grew up in nearby New Orleans and still has family living there.

"Texas is neighbors to Louisiana, I feel it in the weather," Reed said. "Knowing that my mom, my dad can drive right on over and see me play football, bring my little nephews, that's something that you can't take back. That's something that won't ever happen in life."

Reed says he's also highly motivated to help his close friend Johnson win a Super Bowl.

"I know where his heart is at, for this city," Reed said. "There's no other person I want to help more do that than him. That's just what we're reaching for, man."

We got another one guys.....

Shane Lechler reportedly to join Houston Texans

Coming in at No. 69, Shane Lechler was the only punter to make Gregg Rosenthal's list of the top 85 free agents this offseason.

Lechler is a native of Texas and played his college ball at Texas A&M. He's now returning home after agreeing to a contract with the Houston Texans, the Houston Chronicle's John McClain reported Friday.

Free-agent tracker
NFL free agency is underway. Follow all of the latest player rumors and signings in our free-agent tracker. More...
Although Lechler has led the NFL in punting average five times, he finished just 14th in Pro Football Focus' positional rankings for 2012. The nine-time Pro Bowl player and six-time All Pro fairly can be called the best punter of his generation even if he's coming off a subpar season by his standards.

Lecher, 36, now is four years removed from landing the richest punter contract in NFL history. It's doubtful that the final numbers on his Texans pact will match the four-year, $16 million deal he signed with the Oakland Raiders in 2009, and ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that Lechler agreed to a three-year, $5.5 million contract which includes a $1 million signing bonus.

Elite punters often perform well into their late 30s. There's no reason to believe Lechler won't bounce back as a powerful weapon for Houston's special teams in 2013.

Greg Jones made the playoffs twice in nine seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Former Jaguars FB Greg Jones excited to join Texans

The Texans’ new fullback, who signed with Houston Wednesday as an unrestricted free agent, is excited for the opportunity to be part of a squad with Super Bowl aspirations.

“That was one of my main reasons for coming here,” Jones said on a conference call Wednesday. “I got more years behind me than in front of me. My window of opportunity is getting slimmer and slimmer every year, so that was one of my main reasons. They’ve got a very talented roster and a very good locker room.“

After being with the Jaguars for the entirety of his career, Jones will have to adapt to a new city, locker room, team and stadium. He said that once the novelty wears off, “football is football.”

“It’s going to be different, but it’s a new chapter in my life, the next phase in my life and something I chose to do,” he said. “I think I made the right decision.”

As division rivals, Jacksonville and Houston meet twice a year, which makes Jones very familiar with the Texans.

“When Coach Kub (Texans head coach Gary Kubiak) took over, they had some down years at first, but it seems like all of a sudden they got a bunch of talent on the team and they started winning some ballgames,” he said. “Right now, I think the past couple of years everybody has seen what they have put together.

“For this offense, I think the sky’s the limit, but all I’ve got to say is I’m just trying to come in, find my role and just play my role 110 percent.”

While with Jacksonville, Jones blocked for Maurice Jones-Drew and Fred Taylor, but now looks forward to working with Texans runningbacks Arian Foster and Ben Tate.

“They are two phenomenal runners,” he said. “I just looked back at the last couple of years and what they’ve been able to do together. Even though they’re both great runners, they’re not the same. I’m just coming in to just pave the way for them so they can help me look good at the end of the day.”

- TEXANS RE-SIGNED LB TIM DOBBINS -
The Houston Texans have re-signed linebacker Tim Dobbins. According to a Pro Football Talk report, Dobbins agent, David Canter, announced via Twitter that his client had signed a one-year deal to return to Houston.

Dobbins started six games and played in 14 during the 2012 season. He had one interception and led the Texans with four fumble recoveries. Dobbins starts came after injuries to fellow linebacker’s Darryl Sharpton and Brian Cushing. Dobbins did not play in the Texans playoff games due to the fact that he was placed on the injured reserve after the final week of the regular season.

HOUSTON — The Houston Texans have re-signed unrestricted free agent tackle Ryan Harris.

The 6-foot-5, 300-pound Harris played in all 16 games in the 2012 regular season and both playoff games. He signed with Houston as a free agent late in the preseason.

Harris was a third-round draft pick by Denver in 2007. He's started 36 of 62 games in his career and started two for Houston last season.

Harris is the third unrestricted free agent to re-sign with the Texans, joining tackle Andrew Gardner and cornerback Brice McCain. The Texans have also signed safety Ed Reed, punter Shane Lechler and fullback Greg Jones.

Back
Top Bottom