Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

She's a city girl. Def looking more Atlanta proper than the burbs. But damn, I'm boring af and too old for the fun life, and now married, so those specs ain't looking bad :lol: 4000 sq ft is pretty much nonexistant in Portland and I've never seen a property with a full acre except the WEALTHY wealthy suburbs.

You Portland local? Let’s link up. Def a crazy market out here

Most suburbs outside of Fulton county can get her a 4000+ sq ft home with a basement for $300-400k on an acre or possibly 2. Finished basement will be closer to 4, non-finished on the lower side of 3. Keep in mind the commute is at least a hour with traffic coming from any of the outside counties if she’s working in Atlanta. It all comes down to her preference, if she’s ready for the burb life go for it. The Marta train transit is great if you live in the city, if not don’t waste your time.
I'm down for an acre or 2 as long as it no more than 1/4th maintained. Did a 1/2 acre yesterday and it's way too much maintenance :lol:

Anyone have experience buying a home with an Assumable FHA? Was "window shopping" and saw a listing that mentioned they had an assumable FHA at 2.5%. However, they increase their asking price by 20k if you go that route instead of getting your own financing.

Anyone have experience buying a home with an Assumable FHA? Was "window shopping" and saw a listing that mentioned they had an assumable FHA at 2.5%. However, they increase their asking price by 20k if you go that route instead of getting your own financing.
Also keep in mind if the house is listed for example $500k but the current owners owe $380k with 20 years left. At closing you would have to cut the owners a separate $120k check to cover the difference then you pick up the original loan at year 10

People with land around here just let it go with wild flowers and grass land.

That’s the way to do it. Low maintenance and good for the environment.

I have 2.1 acres, and mowing takes 3ish-or more depending on how involved I want to get. It’s a love & hate some days, haha! I’m thankful for it though.

My plan for this fall, into next summer is to seed more butterfly weed from one main plant we’ve had for 6 years. There’s 10-12 small plants that wildly seeded themselves in our back yard that I’ve let continue to grow all spring & summer. I applied for a small $350 grant to add more native Minnesota pollinator plants for next year. I’ll still do it regardless off getting that grant.

Having a next door neighbor with bees for the 2nd season, it’s amazing seeing them feed on all of our plants & garden.

I'm down for an acre or 2 as long as it no more than 1/4th maintained. Did a 1/2 acre yesterday and it's way too much maintenance :lol:
You would def need a riding lawnmower or hire someone to cut the grass. Our property is slightly on a hill with a lake opening so there’s a bunch of stuff to deal with. Most properties will have a lot of trees in the backyard so you have to account for inevitable tree down removal at some point as well.

Also keep in mind if the house is listed for example $500k but the current owners owe $380k with 20 years left. At closing you would have to cut the owners a separate $120k check to cover the difference then you pick up the original loan at year 10
I don't think thats much different than any other purchase (ex. putting down 120k and financing the remaining 380K). Giving the money directly to the seller vs your financing intuition probably isn't a big concern to the buyer if the paper work is right and the home is valued correctly.

I have 2.1 acres, and mowing takes 3ish-or more depending on how involved I want to get. It’s a love & hate some days, haha! I’m thankful for it though.

My plan for this fall, into next summer is to seed more butterfly weed from one main plant we’ve had for 6 years. There’s 10-12 small plants that wildly seeded themselves in our back yard that I’ve let continue to grow all spring & summer. I applied for a small $350 grant to add more native Minnesota pollinator plants for next year. I’ll still do it regardless off getting that grant.

Having a next door neighbor with bees for the 2nd season, it’s amazing seeing them feed on all of our plants & garden.

I sectioned off a quarter of my back yard and put wildflowers too. I think it will come back stronger next year. At least I hope. :lol:

If the grant isn’t too much work it’s probably worth applying for.

So we had some new neighbors move in next to us a few weeks ago. Our houses are really close to each other on the sides where access to the HVAC unit and electrical and gas meters are. No fence there. Our windows face each other.

First issue was them leaving their lights on at night with their blinds open. Their lights would beam into our bedroom. We got blackout curtains after that so problem solved.

Second they started playing loud music like every other day. I can hear it in 3 of our bedrooms.

Then they started using the fire pit as temps cooled down and the smell of smoke goes into the living room.

Now they're leaving their windows open all day, again prob because the temps have cooled down and their dog is constantly barking at random noise and people walking outside. I can hear the barking inside my home.

I've met the guy once early on and introduced myself before all this started. I've only seen them once after all this and didn't get a chance to say something because they rushed in the house before I can walk up to them.
They were bringing large items in so I wasn't going to stop them midway.

I've thought about leaving a note on their door, peaking over the backyard fence when they're back there or knocking on their door when they are home to talk about this but I don't want to seem like the nosy neighbor that is overstepping boundaries.

There is no HOA here so I'm not sure what to do.

So we had some new neighbors move in next to us a few weeks ago. Our houses are really close to each other on the sides where access to the HVAC unit and electrical and gas meters are. No fence there. Our windows face each other.

First issue was them leaving their lights on at night with their blinds open. Their lights would beam into our bedroom. We got blackout curtains after that so problem solved.

Second they started playing loud music like every other day. I can hear it in 3 of our bedrooms.

Then they started using the fire pit as temps cooled down and the smell of smoke goes into the living room.

Now they're leaving their windows open all day, again prob because the temps have cooled down and their dog is constantly barking at random noise and people walking outside. I can hear the barking inside my home.

I've met the guy once early on and introduced myself before all this started. I've only seen them once after all this and didn't get a chance to say something because they rushed in the house before I can walk up to them.
They were bringing large items in so I wasn't going to stop them midway.

I've thought about leaving a note on their door, peaking over the backyard fence when they're back there or knocking on their door when they are home to talk about this but I don't want to seem like the nosy neighbor that is overstepping boundaries.

There is no HOA here so I'm not sure what to do.
Just have a convo with them and ask if they can keep these things minimal or help figure out solutions that work for both of you.

But also.. these are risks you take when buying a house that close to someone else. They’re simply living.. but it affects you because of proximity. Which they can’t help.

Canadian Destroyer Canadian Destroyer Loud music is worth a convo especially if it’s happening at night. Go over there the next day respectfully, offer to do a “sound check” so they know how loud they can go. Everything else is on you to insulate your household from the outside environment. Dogs will bark, fire produces smoke, etc. It’s on you to adjust so long as everything they are doing is legal.

Some municipalities have noise ordinances. Not saying you should snitch, but if they won't do anything (after you have a conversation with them) about the music and the dog...

Some municipalities have noise ordinances. Not saying you should snitch, but if they won't do anything (after you have a conversation with them) about the music and the dog...
But we all know you don’t want to live next to someone you make an enemy. Especially not that close.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I sucked it up and went over there and politely told them about the issues. Hopefully this will be resolved after this. If the loud music persists I'll have to go over again and do a sound check. Wish I would've seen that post earlier.
I looked up the noise ordinances in my city and will document any violations in case I have to go that route but I'm not the snitching type and hopefully it won't ever get to that point.

I am renting this house so proximity between homes and especially bedroom windows will be at the top of my checklist when we start looking to purchase next year.
I gues sI'm going to be looking for those 2-4 acres that dudes were talking about in the previous pages :lol:

You just gotta pick your battles with the neighbors.

My neighbors dog kind of sucks but I like the neighbors and when I come home from work sometimes they have me over when they are cooking to eat.

Im not about to complain their dog is loud.

What was the response? Forgot the most important part
IMG_7604.gif

:lol: J/k

Back
Top Bottom