Historical Inaccuracies

Originally Posted by GuttaGetsBusy

Lincoln freed the slaves on his deathbed? Is that a joke? He agreed to free the slaves well before his death but he didn't give a damn about the slaves.

Fundamental reading can be

Yeah that's my bad, disregarded the first post and only read cartune's post. Still is my first time hearing of that inaccuracy though. 

Lincoln freed the slaves on his deathbed? Is that a joke? He agreed to free the slaves well before his death but he didn't give a damn about the slaves.
And people wonder how stories get twisted over the years.

Mother's 
its been known for centuries that his mother Nancy Hanks had an affair with a slave. 
Lincoln's dad was a slave from KY named Emis Ill find sources when I get to the crib 

Originally Posted by kdawg

You want to read the book "Lies my teacher told me" too - full of this stuff.

The winners write the history and they can write what they like. Happens all the time.

book is the truth 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by cartune

Mother's 
its been known for centuries that his mother Nancy Hanks had an affair with a slave. 
Lincoln's dad was a slave from KY named Emis Ill find sources when I get to the crib 
If true, his relation to Mos Def most certainly will begin unraveling.

Mother's 

Would be very interested in reading those.

Originally Posted by novaflight

Mother's 
bruh !
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by novaflight

Mother's 

1e24d8.gif

Yoooooooooo....
laugh.gif
eek.gif

LOL at "The winners write the history books". Does this mean Charlie Sheen's account of what happened is the truth years from now. WINNING LOL.

The image of jesus that many accept is really Ceaser Borgia. The image so widely accepted and praised is of a man that murder and lied to gain power in rome. Funny ain't it?

It's funny, Columbus couldn't find India (Asia) no matter how hard he tried so everywhere he lands, he calls the people he meets "Indians".

For some reason, my reply posted twice so I changed this one. I didn't know about Ceaser Borgia. That's interesting...
eek.gif

Originally Posted by theconditioner

Since we're talking about Lincoln, here's an excerpt from Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States:

In his 1858 campaign in Illinois for the Senate against Stephen Douglas, Lincoln spoke differently depending on the views of his listeners (and also perhaps depending on how close it was to the election).  Speaking in northern Illinois in July (in Chicago), he said:

"Let us discard all this quibbling about this man and the other man, this race and that race and the other race being inferior, and therefore they must be placed in an inferior position.  Let us discard all these things, and unite as one people throughout this land, until we shall once more stand up declaring that all men are created equal."

Two months later in Charleston, in southern Illinois, Lincoln told his audience:

"I will say, then, that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races (applause); that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people...And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race."
Not necessarily a historical inaccuracy, but I think America's perception of Lincoln in general is far from reality. 
This.  People want to make Lincoln out to be a hero, most don't even recognize the fact that he himself had slaves. 

Thanks for the link kdawg!

It's definitely interesting looking at historical inaccuracies.
I'm so thankful I had great history teachers growing up that actually taught us about these and didn't glorify America.

But Lincoln didn't give a #*!* about African-Americans.
The Civil War happened because the South was seceding from the North and that would cause some great issues.
The only reason freeing slaves got involved was because this one person wouldn't sign off on the war unless it was involved.
I'll be honest, I forgot the actual story, but it goes something like that haha.
Also, what some people don't know is that White people weren't the only people that owned slaves in America.

Some African-Americans and even Japanese people owned slaves during this time period in the United States. 

I think Lincoln has been regarded in the right place by most intelligent people. I can't rememeber the last person I met that considered Lincoln a hero. Yeah, you might learn that in elementary school, but any decent high school history teacher will portray Lincoln more accurately. (AP American History, FTW)

We all know he didn't free the slaves because he cared about blacks, but at the same time, his election was a major factor in the South seceding, so it was well known that he did want to emancipate slaves (regardless of what the motivating factor was).

You also gotta realize, Lincoln was a politician, and he would have never became president if he was a straight up abolitionist. If anything I give him props for winning the Civil War, and keeping the union in tact. Emanicipation Proclomation would have meant nothing had the Confederacy established independence.

Originally Posted by heavenlee777

Also, what some people don't know is that White people weren't the only people that owned slaves.
Some African-Americans and even Japanese people owned slaves. 

Every race, ethnicity, civilization has owned slaves at some point in their history.

Originally Posted by jrdnsrnss

Originally Posted by heavenlee777

Also, what some people don't know is that White people weren't the only people that owned slaves.
Some African-Americans and even Japanese people owned slaves. 

Every race, ethnicity, civilization has owned slaves at some point in their history.

I meant in the United States during the 1800's.
I should have been more clear, I didn't mean throughout civilizations. 

Originally Posted by GreyFoxx

Originally Posted by Stixx

Abraham Lincoln found out he was black on his mother's deathbed and which is why he free'd the slaves. Annnnnnd it was known but kept secret and out of history books
eek.gif
lincoln-afro.jpg

anyhow, dunno if this would fall more under the conspiracy theory side but Bush Jr. was partners/friends with Osama. 

laugh.gif

More of an historical overlook on majority of people's part, Lincoln only freed the slaves in seceding states. Since majority of the slaves lived in the seceding states, lincoln was credited with giving all slaves freedom.

Back
Top Bottom