Help with future sneakerhead(age 10)

My advice is, give him the usual $20 and if that's what he wants, let him EARN is pair. It might sound harsh to some, but let's be honest, this is an expensive hobby or habit, however you want to call it. You don't want him looking your way every time he wants a pair. I think saving for a pair on your own will make you appreciate your shoes and take care of them when you get them. My parents weren't rich, and I got 2 pairs a year until I was able to buy my own sneakers. And even then, I made those two pair last a while.

My advice is, give him the usual $20 and if that's what he wants, let him EARN is pair. It might sound harsh to some, but let's be honest, this is an expensive hobby or habit, however you want to call it. You don't want him looking your way every time he wants a pair. I think saving for a pair on your own will make you appreciate your shoes and take care of them when you get them. My parents weren't rich, and I got 2 pairs a year until I was able to buy my own sneakers. And even then, I made those two pair last a while.

Originally Posted by GottaBdaShoes

Originally Posted by enyouartist

I have a bunch of size 12 deadstock Jordans, but he's a size 10 (and growing).  

No disrespect but is he a hobbit? Age 10? Size 10?

He's either a giant or a ******

Originally Posted by GottaBdaShoes

I have a bunch of size 12 deadstock Jordans, but he's a size 10 (and growing).  

No disrespect but is he a hobbit? Age 10? Size 10?

He's either a giant or a ******

yeah this isn't really a habit to be encouraging, but on the other side it's better than drugs i guess. ... in some ways

yeah this isn't really a habit to be encouraging, but on the other side it's better than drugs i guess. ... in some ways

Originally Posted by dtb00201

I'm getting my nephew the cool greys for Christmas even though he is going to destroy them.
I actually get happy when I see kids destroying them.
reminds me of my self when I was young.
they use them up as long as possible, cherishing them and creating memories.
pimp.gif

I'm getting my nephew the cool greys for Christmas even though he is going to destroy them.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by zapatohead408

pimp.gif

We got him some oreo 6s for school and he came over here 2 weeks ago and they were torched. I busted out the brush and magic eraser and cleaned them up pretty nice. I even took him to the mall the next day and got some new laces, but wouldn't you know it they were just as bad looking when he came over again Friday. He some how managed to break the plastic lace tips completely off of the laces he had for 2 weeks. I just shook my head, but I cant be mad because I was always rough on shoes as a kid even though weren't Jordans or anything.

Originally Posted by zapatohead408

pimp.gif

We got him some oreo 6s for school and he came over here 2 weeks ago and they were torched. I busted out the brush and magic eraser and cleaned them up pretty nice. I even took him to the mall the next day and got some new laces, but wouldn't you know it they were just as bad looking when he came over again Friday. He some how managed to break the plastic lace tips completely off of the laces he had for 2 weeks. I just shook my head, but I cant be mad because I was always rough on shoes as a kid even though weren't Jordans or anything.

Originally Posted by Dmvbatman

do like 23edge has said, and buy him a couple of jordan DVD's, hell, it can just be one or two DVD's, let him watch them over and over, so he can grasp what it was like when jordan played in the league, through time he should watch the DVD, he might won't soon as you give it to him, but one day when he's very bored he'd watch it.

after he see some clips of jordan and how great he was, THEN you can worry about helping him out with the J's........

he'll be one of the few kid's when he arrives at his jr high or high school to know alot about the history of MJ AND the shoe's he's played in...and he'll owe that all to you, his big uncle.

Yeah, but he wants some fresh kicks for Christmas, not a dvd.  He'd probably be bummed as hell if I gave him a Jordan DVD instead of new sneakers, then said "study up,kid! Then we'll talk! "
roll.gif

you misunderstood...

i meant that you could buy him some lebron's like 23edge had stated, all the while ALSO getting him a jordan DVD so he can study up on MJ...then later on when he can know what J's are which, that's when you can cop him a pair.

Originally Posted by Dmvbatman

do like 23edge has said, and buy him a couple of jordan DVD's, hell, it can just be one or two DVD's, let him watch them over and over, so he can grasp what it was like when jordan played in the league, through time he should watch the DVD, he might won't soon as you give it to him, but one day when he's very bored he'd watch it.

after he see some clips of jordan and how great he was, THEN you can worry about helping him out with the J's........

he'll be one of the few kid's when he arrives at his jr high or high school to know alot about the history of MJ AND the shoe's he's played in...and he'll owe that all to you, his big uncle.

Yeah, but he wants some fresh kicks for Christmas, not a dvd.  He'd probably be bummed as hell if I gave him a Jordan DVD instead of new sneakers, then said "study up,kid! Then we'll talk! "
roll.gif

you misunderstood...

i meant that you could buy him some lebron's like 23edge had stated, all the while ALSO getting him a jordan DVD so he can study up on MJ...then later on when he can know what J's are which, that's when you can cop him a pair.

you can definitely get him some retros that have been marked down 50% at footlocker, footaction, etc. and avoid paying that $100 that your not trying to spend. IMO this would probably be your best method, cause think about it, he is only 10 and 9 times out of 10 he's going to destroy them within the next year or so, so in the end both of you get what you want. He gets his Js and you get to save your $$$

you can definitely get him some retros that have been marked down 50% at footlocker, footaction, etc. and avoid paying that $100 that your not trying to spend. IMO this would probably be your best method, cause think about it, he is only 10 and 9 times out of 10 he's going to destroy them within the next year or so, so in the end both of you get what you want. He gets his Js and you get to save your $$$

my ten year old is a 8.5. He loves basketball but i refuse to buy him any shoes over 60 bucks because he will ruin em in a week. He has gradually progressed, but for now hes into dc's and outlet Jordans and Lebrons for the time being.

my ten year old is a 8.5. He loves basketball but i refuse to buy him any shoes over 60 bucks because he will ruin em in a week. He has gradually progressed, but for now hes into dc's and outlet Jordans and Lebrons for the time being.

Originally Posted by btlgrnd

Time for a valuable life lesson, "you can't have everything that you want." Even though Christmas really is for the kids, your nephew should learn to be appreciative of whatever sneakers you end up getting him (whatever your budget allows) and also of an Uncle who cares enough to ask for advice in an internet forum. Take it from me, I started my son early and now it has somewhat come back to bite me in the %@%.
Agreed...

I remember being in the same situation when I was younger lusting after kicks my dad wouldn't even want to hear about twice and my mom who just couldn't afford. I understand wanting to give him a gift he may be extremely ecstatic about but the bigger picture is trying  to teach him some responsibility and understanding  the value of money. Kids nowadays have no clue the value of money and unfortunately society is treating them to think they are wayyy older than they really are (not saying thats ur case at all though)...but I do like a few of t he suggestions some of the guys above made...Probably get him some Lebron's Soldiers or reduced J's etc, or if he is truly a "student of the game" and wanting to know about MJ specifically, some DVD to teach him about the pure nature of competitiveness and earning respect over inflated salaries of this current era is a better idea! That way he'd be a future sneakerhead with some substance!

But really 10 and he's a size 10 already!!!??? Really expensive hobby from an early start having to pay for Men's sizes rather than kids!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by btlgrnd

Time for a valuable life lesson, "you can't have everything that you want." Even though Christmas really is for the kids, your nephew should learn to be appreciative of whatever sneakers you end up getting him (whatever your budget allows) and also of an Uncle who cares enough to ask for advice in an internet forum. Take it from me, I started my son early and now it has somewhat come back to bite me in the %@%.
Agreed...

I remember being in the same situation when I was younger lusting after kicks my dad wouldn't even want to hear about twice and my mom who just couldn't afford. I understand wanting to give him a gift he may be extremely ecstatic about but the bigger picture is trying  to teach him some responsibility and understanding  the value of money. Kids nowadays have no clue the value of money and unfortunately society is treating them to think they are wayyy older than they really are (not saying thats ur case at all though)...but I do like a few of t he suggestions some of the guys above made...Probably get him some Lebron's Soldiers or reduced J's etc, or if he is truly a "student of the game" and wanting to know about MJ specifically, some DVD to teach him about the pure nature of competitiveness and earning respect over inflated salaries of this current era is a better idea! That way he'd be a future sneakerhead with some substance!

But really 10 and he's a size 10 already!!!??? Really expensive hobby from an early start having to pay for Men's sizes rather than kids!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by dabasement2010

Word!

Originally Posted by dabasement2010

Word!

Back
Top Bottom