HELP: I want a Mac for college, suggestions?

In my opinion, 13 inches is the perfect size for a laptop. It's a lot nicer on your back if you actually have to carry it places, and when I'm home I connect it to a monitor so I have tons of screen space anyway.

Also, I'd recommend the MacBook Pro over the base model just because it feels a lot nicer. The price difference is negligible over the many years you will have it.

I bought mine in the summer so I get a free iPod Touch, which I sold for $200 profit, and a free Canon all-in-one printer that works great.

Originally Posted by aFamous

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

question op, do you want a mac because your scared of viruses or you just really like mac os? 

or because their reliability, customer service, and longevity is pretty good?
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

That really depends on the user and luck. For some reason people are under the impression that Macs are invincible to failure.

In my opinion, 13 inches is the perfect size for a laptop. It's a lot nicer on your back if you actually have to carry it places, and when I'm home I connect it to a monitor so I have tons of screen space anyway.

Also, I'd recommend the MacBook Pro over the base model just because it feels a lot nicer. The price difference is negligible over the many years you will have it.

I bought mine in the summer so I get a free iPod Touch, which I sold for $200 profit, and a free Canon all-in-one printer that works great.

question op, do you want a mac because your scared of viruses or you just really like mac os? 

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

That really depends on the user and luck. For some reason people are under the impression that Macs are invincible to failure.

Been a Mac user for the past 5 years, so a Mac laptop is a must for me. I plan on spending around $200-$300 extra on it because I'm gonna sell the iPod. I'm still not sure about what specs I should get though..

Been a Mac user for the past 5 years, so a Mac laptop is a must for me. I plan on spending around $200-$300 extra on it because I'm gonna sell the iPod. I'm still not sure about what specs I should get though..

if i was you op, i'd just get the 13 inch entry model since you said you only need the basics. the i5 & 4GB of ram should be good enough. If anything, like aFamous said upgrade from a HD to a SSD

if i was you op, i'd just get the 13 inch entry model since you said you only need the basics. the i5 & 4GB of ram should be good enough. If anything, like aFamous said upgrade from a HD to a SSD

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Yeah of course but the thing with macs its so easy for the AVERAGE person to get it serviced. All you have to do is go to the Apple store and talk to a Genius as long as your under warranty and sometimes even if you arent on warranty.

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Yeah of course but the thing with macs its so easy for the AVERAGE person to get it serviced. All you have to do is go to the Apple store and talk to a Genius as long as your under warranty and sometimes even if you arent on warranty.

I'd go with the 13 cause it's cheaper and more compact/lighter. Any upgrades should be done through a 3rd party cause Apple overcharges for upgrades.

I'd go with the 13 cause it's cheaper and more compact/lighter. Any upgrades should be done through a 3rd party cause Apple overcharges for upgrades.

basic macbook should be fine for what you need to do

wait til the back to school program and i think they're doing $200 off an ipad...i'd get a base imac and base ipad

basic macbook should be fine for what you need to do

wait til the back to school program and i think they're doing $200 off an ipad...i'd get a base imac and base ipad

I've had a basic macbook for four years and it's never done anything less than EVERYTHING I wanted.

I've had a basic macbook for four years and it's never done anything less than EVERYTHING I wanted.

Any computer science majors?  I'm kind of in the same predicament, but I'm leaning towards a 13-inch and just upgrade some of the stuff.  Not sure if I'd need the 15-inch for programming (more real estate to work with)...

Any computer science majors?  I'm kind of in the same predicament, but I'm leaning towards a 13-inch and just upgrade some of the stuff.  Not sure if I'd need the 15-inch for programming (more real estate to work with)...

Back
Top Bottom