Have You Forgiven Michael Vick? Vol. State Trial to Begin in April

SUSSEX, Va. -- A judge on Tuesday scheduled an April 2 trial date for jailed Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick on two state felony dogfighting charges.

Vick's lawyer, Lawrence Woodward, requested a jury trial during the 5-minute session.

The suspended NFL star did not attend the hearing in Surry County Circuit Court. Vick is being held at a Warsaw, Va., jail after surrendering on Nov. 19 to begin serving time for a federal dogfighting conspiracy conviction.

Vick faces up to five years in prison when he is sentenced Dec. 10 in the federal case.

The two state charges -- beating or killing or causing dogs to fight other dogs, and engaging in or promoting dogfighting -- also are punishable by up to five years in prison each.

The court also set trial dates of March 5 for co-defendants Quanis L. Phillips and Purnell A. Peace and a May 7 trial for Tony Taylor.

Vick's lawyers have indicated they will fight the state charges on the grounds he can't be convicted twice of the same crime.

Vick and three co-defendants pleaded guilty to the federal charge in U.S. District Court in Richmond. In an Aug. 27 plea agreement, Vick admitted bankrolling a dogfighting enterprise and providing gambling money, as well as helping to kill six to eight dogs.

Ten protesters from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals stood outside the courthouse holding placards with pictures of injured dogs and the messages "Report Dogfighters!" and "Dogs Deserve Justice."

The dogfighting operation known as Bad Newz Kennels operated since 2001 on Vick's 15-acre spread in Surry County. A drug investigation of a Vick relative led authorities to the property, where they found more than 50 pit bulls and equipment commonly used in dogfighting.

Vick was suspended indefinitely by the NFL without pay, and he lost several lucrative endorsement deals. Also, an arbitrator has ruled Vick should repay the Falcons nearly $20 million in bonus money.

Seems like he's been through enough to not feel some sort of sympathy for Mike.

ohwell.gif

Flame away, if you see fit

What he did was obviously wrong.

But ill forgive him if he shows that he's truly sorry for what he did.
I mean shows it for a while and not just once.
best of luck to him.

Hell yeah I do, we need him on the field. I have seen enough of Joey Harrington. Who cares what he does to a dog that he owns, one that is bred to kill nonethe less. Give me a break, put Vick back on the field now.

i was never mad at vick. we from the same community and this type of stuff goes on often, so i wont as shocked as alot of people were, hope to see him comeback to the league as soon as possible.

It isn't my place to forgive him, but I certainly haven't forgotten it and I still think he is a deplorable human being for what he did. To have thattalent and influence and money to have a lovely, secure life and throw so much away by acting like a barbaric human being is just beyond me.

I was mad at Vick for the fact that he put himself in the position to end his football career....Not necessarily the acts that he carried out...

I don't forgive him for his stupidity...but the acts he committed yes because it doesn't deserve the backlash it created. America is too obsessed withdogs

I F's with my dude always, Favorite player in the L
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I dont know why but for some reason I keep picturing him in a ravens jersey
nerd.gif

I was never mad at Mike for what he did, it was never that big of a deal to me. If he chose to do something like this to put a once promising career injeopardy, that is his decision.

Not that big of a deal. I think he got severe punishment for something not too severe in today's world.

Michael Vick was the scapegoat for the overall problems with high-paid African-American athletes. What he did was indefensible but people are really piling on.

Originally Posted by l FR3SH l

Im pretty sure Brett Favre has killed alot more deer than Vick has killed dogs.

The worst news article I ever read was after the last deer fight that Brett Favre had. Apparently he jumped on the deers head, then electrocuted andstrangled it. After that he shot it and ate it.

Brett Favre
smh.gif
Between deer fights and wranglercommercials I don't know why this guy isn't in jail.

yea what he was accused of isn't anything i've never heard of.. he was my favorite player, and i hope he's back on the field next season

Yall got people in the league that beat their wives that get no discipline from the league but vick gets this. I admit i dont like what he did or condone itbut man lets get the penalties to fit the crimes

I never saw the big deal in what he did...so he killed some dogs that were his property...who gives a flying gatdamn? This man's life is ruinedirreparably, and for what...some dogs? Hunters kill animals every day 4 sport, anyone who eats meat on a regular basis indirectly contributes to providing amarket 4 the death of animals, besides which I don't really care 4 animals neway. If ya can't eat it or wear it, what the hell good is it? And theywant to destroy this dude's livelihood and future over something that harmed NO human beings.
smh.gif
People's priorties need some serious reconditioning.Flame me if you want, it is what it is.

He never needed forgiveness from me because he made a mistake. Dog-fighting is frequent in my neighborhood so it's not a sensitive issue to me. There aremany players in the league who abuse their spouses (verbally, physically and sexually) but they get a free pass. Vick is still cool with me and I'll have asweet potato pie waiting when he gets out (nh).

Chester McFloppy, can I get that article?

Back
Top Bottom