Hamilton Play Writer set to debut "In Da Heights" movie in 2020

Soundtrack Song #5 "It Won't Be Long" is merengue.

There are no Bachata songs
1 merengue song in an entire musical based on a neighborhood of majority Dominicans where the national music is merengue. Like I said the film had more Puerto Rican culture than Dominican. Should have called it in el barrio not in the heights. Anybody from nyc knows it’s 2 completely different vibes in those neighborhood. And then they go and release it during Puerto Rican parade weekend too

While the film was not perfect and yes they dropped the ball on the misrepresentation, it was still amazing to see a movie put out on this stage celebrating the place I grew up on. Not to be on some corny ish but definitely shed a tear at the end, I moved a few years ago to Jersey so the nostalgia was crazy for me.

One thing I’ll say though, shorty repeatedly saying “let me listen to my block” absolutely BLEW MINE everytime. Wild cringe

Last edited:
inda copy.jpg

1 merengue song in an entire musical based on a neighborhood of majority Dominicans where the national music is merengue. Like I said the film had more Puerto Rican culture than Dominican. Should have called it in el barrio not in the heights. Anybody from nyc knows it’s 2 completely different vibes in those neighborhood. And then they go and release it during Puerto Rican parade weekend too

I think that is what seperates the feedback.
Those that have seen the play in 2005 and expected a musical based on the immigrant experience. And those expecting to see El Alfa smoking hookah on Dyckman.

I think that is what seperates the feedback.
Those that have seen the play in 2005 and expected a musical based on the immigrant experience. And those expecting to see El Alfa smoking hookah on Dyckman.
El Alfa song would have saved this film and I Don’t really rock with reggaeton either. Movie was trash got the whole feel of the neighborhood wrong.

El Alfa song would have saved this film and I Don’t really rock with reggaeton either. Movie was trash got the whole feel of the neighborhood wrong.
And then the older Dominicans would have been mad it wasn't a Juan Luis Guerra song. You cannot please everyone. We literally do it to ourselves, you finally got a latin cast without a single gringo, and they still mad. They gave the bodegas, the Presidentes, hair salon gossip, the barbershops, the food & desserts, cafe con leche, the gypsy cabs, the iconic tunnel subway station, the fireworks, the loud music, the street mechanics, the dominos, the public pool, the open fire hydrants, even the cat calling lol

Screenshot_20210615-175313.png

Last edited:
And then the older Dominicans would have been mad it wasn't a Juan Luis Guerra song. You cannot please everyone. We literally do it to ourselves, you finally got a latin cast without a single gringo, and they still mad.
So you telling me I can’t be mad cause they came out with a movie based on my neighborhood with no cast member that looks like me or any one in my family. Starting to believe you on the films payroll capping real hard for half jew Miranda. The cast was Latin but not the Latino demographic of the neighborhood the movie represents and was shoot in. Way more Puerto Rican influence than Dominican including the main actor/s.

Last edited:
If you were really from the heights you know nobody drinking the presidentes from the bodega. Those are produce by Miller in Milwaukee. Nothing like the presidentes back home produced locally.

Question, I visited the Heights a couple of times - during my visits - aren’t there other ethnicities that live there? Or, the movie is focus on a certain part?

Question, I visited the Heights a couple of times - during my visits - aren’t there other ethnicities that live there? Or, the movie is focus on a certain part?
Born and raised here only moved out to bk for like 4 years but moved back. Second biggest demo in the heights are Jews due to yeshiva university campus. Some Irish still linger from when the neighborhood was there’s in the 60’s and 70’s also

Solid movie, some good songs.

Anthony Ramos has some charisma.

on the colorism thing. No dark skinned people is def not a good look...

but ultimately the real problem is the fact that that In the heights gotta bear the burden of representing such a gigantic diverse culture of people. if there were more latin people on screen

people won't be so focused on the casting of one film.

Felt like the typical Hollywood movie standard - one token dark actor/actress. :lol:

Funny, I was just talking to my wife about colorism in the Latino community this weekend. In particular about colorism within the Dominican community.

I did my ancestry and it determined that I was about 35% African, about 55% European, and the rest was a mixture of native and Asian. She asked my if I would consider myself black. I said Yes, historically speaking. But to speak on the struggles of being black I feel would be very irresponsible of me.

She also did her ancestry and she has about 8% African with like 45% native and the rest European.

As much as we would like to embrace our African heritage and display ot for world to see, as Latinos of mixed race, we know that there is a limit to the extent in which we can showcase our pride.

I think that’s why so many of us just prefer to solely identify as Latino and not a particular race, because for many of us it’s complicated. We can never fully embrace the identity of one full race.

Back
Top Bottom