GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL THREAD

This team can be really, really good.

Yes, S. State sucks...but just watching our guys...this team has so much talent and can do things that previous teams under III just couldn't do.

Nobody ever talks about the defense, and it's still here, hasn't missed a beat without Roy in the middle.

Much better movement on offense tonight, and the speed is/was increased. It's a beautiful brand of basketball.

But the biggest thing about tonight was the bench..

Julian, Clark, Sims, and Omar were great. It was great to see Sims gain some confidence and actually go inside tonight.

Clark is gona be special, he's athletic, but he's also incredibly smart, had a great give and go tonight...and if we just get the effort that Vaughngave tonight, we'll be such a better team.

Nikita struggled again but did make a 3.

Starting 5 was great again.

- Jessie Sapp has become a great 3 point shooter, such improvement since his sophomore year.

..Overall the team is just a lot more aggressive and attacking while keeping the principals of the offense.

Austin and Dajuan both had mid range pull ups tonight, and that'd be a great addition to the offense.

while we may be out rebounded, get in foul trouble and turnover too much some nights...the potential of this team is great.

26 straight at home as well
pimp.gif

Onto Memphis...and I absolutely expect a win.

I like our chances today. Let's go
pimp.gif

Home

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, Helvetica]Georgetown Basketball: Pre-Game Report [/font]
[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Memphis (5-1)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Coach: John Calipari
(Clarion St. '82)
9th season, 224-66
Career: 417-137
AP: #17
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Expected Starters[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Name[/td] [td]Ht.[/td] [td]Pts.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]W. Witherspoon[/td] [td]6-8[/td] [td]6.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Tyreke Evans[/td] [td]6-6[/td] [td]16.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Doneal Mack[/td] [td]6-5[/td] [td]11.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Antonio Anderson[/td] [td]6-6[/td] [td]10.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]P. Henderson-Niles[/td] [td]6-8[/td] [td]3.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Team Stats:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points/Game:[/td] [td]82.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points Allowed:[/td] [td]64.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Shooting:[/td] [td]44.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Defense[/td] [td]38.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3FG Shooting:[/td] [td]29.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FT Shooting:[/td] [td]64.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rebounds/Game[/td] [td]42.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Assists/Game[/td] [td]16.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Turnovers/Game[/td] [td]13.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Last 5 Games (4-1)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11/17: UM 80, Umass 58
11/20: UM 83, Chatt. 71
11/21: UM 84, S. Hall 70
11/23: Xavier 63, UM 58
12/02: UM 100, Marist 61

[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td] [table][tr][td]Quick Facts[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Game 8: University of Memphis
December 13, 1:00 pm, Verizon Center
Tickets Available? Yes
TV: CBS
GU Radio: WTEM-980
UM Radio: WREC-600
About The Tigers:
Enrollment: 20,000
Conference: Conference USA
Record vs. Georgetown: 2-6
Last Five Games:
1995-96: at GU 81, UM 60
1996-97: GU 74, at UM 65
1997-98: at GU 73, UM 69
1999-00: GU 71, UM 55 (Lahaina, HI)
2007-08: at UM 85, GU 71
[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Game Notes[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]--Saturday's game is the second in a five year, four game series. The teams will take 2009-10 off before concluding the series in the following two seasons.
--Each team arrives Saturday with a winning streak on the line. Georgetown has won 22 consecutive games at Verizon Center, while the Tigers have won 19 straight on the road.
--Memphis is 7-0 against Big East opponents since 2005.
--Georgetown is 12-4 in games played on December 13.
[/font][/td] [/tr][tr][td]Preview[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]While Georgetown students continue exam preparations, the men's basketball team awaits its biggest test of the non-conference season to date Saturday in a nationally televised game with Memphis. The Tigers will bring much of the firepower from last season's notable run to the precipice of the NCAA title, but the names have changed.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]While Georgetown enters the game without names like Hibbert, Wallace, and Ewing, Memphis coach John Calipari lost three starters (Derrick Rose, Joey Dorsey, and Chris Douglas-Roberts) to the NBA from last season, but is already rebuilding with a pair of freshmen that could have a similar career path someday. Some of the names have changed, but the Tigers' combination of up-tempo offense and relentless rebounding poses a good test for the Hoyas in mid-December.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]The heir to Rose's playmaker role on the 2008-09 Tigers is 6-6 freshman Tyreke Evans, who has already twice been named Conference USA Rookie of the Week. Evans can score and score often, hitting 10-13 from the field in the Tigers' last game against Marist. As a freshman, Evans is capable of an off night, as his 4-16 shooting effort against Xavier set the tone in Memphis' only loss to date this season. Evans can move to the basket but like much of the Memphis starting five, is almost interchangeable across the floor--he has picked up nearly six rebounds a game.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Fellow freshman Wesley Witherspoon has also moved into the starting lineup. The 6-8 "guard" has been picking up his offensive output as the season has progressed, and has an assist to turnover ratio of 4.5 to 1 over the last three games. If there becomes a true point guard for the Tigers in 2008-09, Witherspoon will evolve into that position, but he's not there yet.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Setting Witherspoon at the point enables junior Doneal Mack to play a role on the wing, at least in theory. Mack averaged 15 points a game in the Tigers' run in a Puerto Rico tournament last month, and is among the team's better three point shooters. At 6-5, he's the shortest starter on the Memphis lineup, but his outside shooting is worth watching.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]The lone senior on the starting roster is 6-8 Antonio Anderson, who now assumes more of a forwarc role for the Tigers. Anderson doesn't take over games but his play is steady and he can turn the assist or pick up the rebound as needed. Anderson is shooting 52 percent on the season despite a 3-13 effort from behind the arc, having hit just one of his last nine since their season opener. If Anderson rediscovers the three, it's a big boost for the Tigers.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Coach Calipari has moved 6-8, 300 lb. Pierre Henderson-Niles into the starting lineup this year. Offensively, his numbers are modest, averaging 3.7 points and rebounds, but his size alone creates matchup problems for teams to date. Outside of a 10 rebound effort against Seton Hall, he has not been a major factor on the boards and he will platoon with 6-10 senior Robert Dozier and 6-10 sophomore Shawn Taggart.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]The Memphis bench has a clear step up on the Hoyas to date. The aforementioned Dozier may be among the best sixth men in America, ranking in the top 10 at his school for rebounds and blocks. Dozier has not shot well in the last two games (a combined 9-19) but is always capable of a big game, such as his 19 point effort against Georgetown Hoyas proved the difference in last season's win over the Hoyas last year Georgetown fans should also look to 6-10 forward Shawn Taggart for a big effort around the boards. Taggart leads Conference USA in rebounds despite averaging just 25 minutes a game and has posted double figure rebounds in all but one game this season. Taggart played 22 minutes against Marist and posted 21 points, 13 rebounds and six blocks.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]What the Tigers lack right now is seasoning. They are quick to the shot but struggle mightily from outside, averaging just 29 percent from outside. Memphis has been able to compensate its poor outside shooting with relentless rebounding, as befits a team starting no player smaller than 6-5. last year's memphis team collected 19 offensive rebounds and 43 overall in its win over Georgetown, and its ability to take over the paint may be prove a pivotal factor in Saturday's contest.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Some other keys to the game:[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]1. Rust? Memphis enters the game off an 11 day break and has played just one game since November 23.
2. Inside Play: Dozier's 19 points and six rebounds really hurt the Hoyas last year. Coming off the bench, expect to see Dozier and Taggart challenge Greg Monroe inside.
3. Foul Trouble: This could be the first game with inside foul trouble plays a significant second half role. Look for Julian Vaughn and Henry Sims to face a severe test against the Tigers' inside game.
[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]For Memphis to win, this game must be played at a high tempo, emphasizing the run and rebound offense that sent Calipari's team into overtime of the NCAA final. Evans isn't Derrick Rose but games like this could elevate him to such stature with short notice. If Sapp can lock down Evans has he has done to opponents this season, it's going to limit what they can do, but there are a lot of second options.

Georgetown's keys will involve getting a Big East-level of play from Dajuan Summers and Austin Freeman and 28 or more minutes from Monroe inside. As was the case earlier this year against Tennessee (the team which spoiled Memphis' undefeated season last February), Georgetown can't afford to play at Memphis' pace. Only one of the Tigers' six games this season was played under 80, and they lost.

This one needs to be kept under 70 if at all possible, where Georgetown's defense and home court advantage can elevate it to an important early win.
[/font]
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td] [table][tr][td]Georgetown (6-1)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Coach: John Thompson III
(Princeton '88)
4th season, 106-37
Career: 174-79
AP: #19
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Expected Starters[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Name[/td] [td]Ht.[/td] [td]Pts.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Chris Wright[/td] [td]6-1[/td] [td]12.1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jessie Sapp[/td] [td]6-2[/td] [td]10.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Austin Freeman[/td] [td]6-4[/td] [td]13.1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Dajuan Summers[/td] [td]6-8[/td] [td]13.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Greg Monroe[/td] [td]6-11[/td] [td]13.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Team Stats:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points/Game:[/td] [td]76.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points Allowed[/td] [td]55.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Shooting:[/td] [td]53.10[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Defense:[/td] [td]32.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3FG Shooting:[/td] [td]33.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FT Shooting:[/td] [td]76.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rebounds/Game[/td] [td]34.4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Assists/Game[/td] [td]14.1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Turnovers/Game[/td] [td]15.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Last 5 Games (4-1)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11/27: GU 58, Wich. St 50
11/28: Tenn. 90, GU 78
11/30: GU 75, Maryland 48
12/06: GU 73, American 49
12/08: GU 100, Sav.St. 38

[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]

"What we can't do is let Memphis be the aggressor," Wright said. "We can't let them put us on our heels. When they press, we have toattack."

[font=Arial,Helvetica]
The stakes go up Saturday, when Sapp draws Memphis freshman standout Tyreke Evans (16.2 points, 5.8 rebounds, 3.8 assists).

"You know I don't back down from anybody, so I'm honored to get that assignment," Sapp said. "I don't think it's anything that Ihaven't seen before, between playing four years of college ball plus street ball and all that stuff. I think I'll be fine on him. ... I'm going toplay him tough and hard and try not to let him drive on me."
[/font]

The rebounding is a concern. Not 1 guy is gona solve it, either. It has to be a team effort, from Chris to Clark to Sapp...and we saw that in the 2nd half plusOT.

Just a damn good win today and will only help moving forward. To win when we didn't shoot the ball well (or get many open looks) and Jessie not giving muchat all offensively is a positive. This team is showing interchangeable parts and an ability to win games in different ways (ie getting to the line more thisyear)

I think we're getting close to having 7 dependable guys now (we definitely have 5)....If Julian and/or Henry provide to be #8 this team can do a lot ofthings..

This summed up everything I saw today...
Memphis was great team to face to help Hoyas get better and I am just glad there are 2 more games in this series--I really enjoy playing them and respect their style of play/toughness on court--while I'm no fan of Calipari--his teams play hard and clean and aggressive on both ends of court.

HOYA PERSPECTIVE:

1. GREAT, GREAT, G-REAT WIN. What I loved was the toughness mentally shown by the team and the fight/grit shown. Last year in Memphis--against a far superior Memphis team--thought Hoyas got punked a bit--and while this time of year I could care about W's/L's as much as wanting to see improvement--you like to see your team win this type of game any time of year--and the guys did.

2. III knew this type of season was coming and you are seeing why the guys conditioned their butts off this offseason. A win like today validates his point and shows the players--you will be rewarded for your hard work.

3. I LOVE how III schedules games--tougher opponents--but I also love how Hoyas have a flow and chemistry. I felt towards end of Pops tenure and Esherick's time--that Hoyas shuttled way too much--and often at inappropriate times--to just play guys to play. While I'd love to see more depth-I feel depth is more important for course of season when some guys are having off game or in foul trouble--for the big games--no problem with 7-8 and 7 getting most of time-because it's important to have best players/chemsitry on court.

3. Today was about trust and seeing the Hoyas Frosh TAKE OVER THE OT was great. Greg Monroe was most dominant player on court in OT and Jason Clark's jumpshot was huge. When young players taste success in this type of atmosphere/game it carries over. Monroe is a pleasure to watch and one of the finest basketball demeanors/IQ's I've EVER seen. He gets it. His pass to DaJuan in first half was unreal--that drop pass on break for layup--that is how you get a teammate going--give him an easy hoop and rest comes. That catch he made on baseline for drop pass to DaJuan in OT--was UNREAL play. The hands/thinking ahead and seeing his excitement in setting up a teammate. I have a fullblown FAN-CRUSH on Greg as a player. It's just SCARY how great he's going to be once he improves and gets a jumpshot to go with his game--he will be the #1 pick in the NBA Draft if he stays 1-2 more years at Georgetown.

4. Getting offense out of defense and easy hoops. This is what frustrated me in past--but is great to see with this team. They get those hoops you need to keep you in game when shots aren't falling or to extend a run/get a run going. Chris Wright is always probing/attacking and I love it!

5. CHARM CITY NUTTAGE!!!! DaJuan is playing great--and he's capable of even more. If he puts a body on Dozier at end--OT wasn't needed--but he more then made up for that. Leadership is starting to show from DaJuan and that's great to see and really showing growth--which I think is what III was alluding too. The energy he plays with combined with leadership is also important for this particular team. It's important for them to use emotion a bit more then the stoic Hoya approach we've seen in past.

6. Chris and Austin are going to be best backcourt in Hoya history after 4 years--if they both stay all 4. Just love their approach on court and the way they think the game. Like everyone else--you see the talent but you also see a ton of room for improvement which is exciting.

7. Jason Clark's poise and decision making are about as advanced as Greg's. That shot he hit at elbow was huge in OT--but some of the decisions to pull ball out, his great defense and his fight on glass were just something you don't see in most FR. He's ideal replacement for Jessie Sapp--and gets to see firsthand how Jessie plays--which is great model.

8. Jessie is Jessie--and despite his fouls/off game offensively--he is the guy who takes guys aside and sets example with his approach--of never backing down and always fighting. One of my all time favorite players--just enjoy watching him compete and think he's perfect veteran of past teams to return with this particular group in backcourt. Think he fits the tempo and approach that younger players like to play at--and he helps them learn when to reel it in.

Julian and Henry will be KEY factors from here on out. Vaughn didn't help/hurt today--but as season progresses--that will have to change to helping. Henry Sims is the guy I really see most room to grow over course of career--and was hoping he got some run today after a confidence building game on Monday--but with finals and players with different schedules, etc...he might not have been as prepared, and III knows what he's doing--but wouldn't shock me to see Henry get major minutes this upcoming weekend and hope he's ready/builds off last game.

Overall--the team just is so enjoyable for me to watch and their improvement and unselfish play is a joy to see. The ball movement and fastbreaks were excellent and defensively the guys communicate/fight--which is all you want from team. One huge aspect that hasn't gotten as much attention--the amount of Free Throw ATTEMPTS this team gets-which is a huge upgrade over past teams. More aggressive and various in their approach--they draw more fouls and get to FT line--which helps offset the difference on glass. Combine that with more "easy" hoops off transition or quick looks that are high percentage and it's been a fun addition to program this year-and with team that fits more of model of what III likes--interchangeable-although at this time we're lacking it upfront in frontcourt--I've got faith in Henry Sims and Vaughn to improve/come along--but we'll see more help on way with Hollis Thompson and anyone else who wants to play with Hoyas! Love seeing guys touch the ball and able to show their total game in course of a game--and it's better then seeing volume shooting from 1-2 people and everyone else stand around.

Great win and especially for this NEW group of players! Proud of them and just keep getting better!

54935931415b78d977d781f703358ae593e27b1.jpg

this man is serious. what a change from the wallace years. once wright finds his touch from 3pt range he will be unstoppable. Also, can Freeman stop makinglazy passes. I swear not a game goes by where he doesn't throw at least 2 lazy passes that get stolen.
I think we're getting close to having 7 dependable guys now (we definitely have 5)....If Julian and/or Henry provide to be #8 this team can do a lot of things..
gotta agree with that. our success this year will depend entirely on guys 6-8 on the roster. (i hope 6-8 does not include wattad
laugh.gif
)

one last thing, summers
pimp.gif
. finally doing what we expected him to do lastyear.

this man is serious. what a change from the wallace years. once wright finds his touch from 3pt range he will be unstoppable. Also, can Freeman stop making lazy passes.
Yeah, Austin does that. The one he made saturday was just inexcusable.

Chris is a big time player...easy to see the staff chose him over Scottie Reynolds (thank god)

Omar scares me...but I think he's becoming an important part from a leadership and emotional stand point. at least he's a threat to hit a 3 ball and wearen't playing 4 on 5 on offense like the last 2 years from that spot

[h1]Hoyas starving for bench boost[/h1][h2]Despite strong start, second team has produced next to nothing[/h2][h3]Barker Davis (Contact)
Saturday, December 20, 2008[/h3]
http://l.yimg.com/ds/orio....3.9/img/badge-large.png) no-repeat scroll left top; overflow: hidden; cursor: pointer; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; display: block; height: 0pt; padding-top: 33px; width: 109px; text-indent: -999em;">Buzz up!

Asked about his noticeable weight loss on the eve of last week's tussle with Memphis, Georgetown coach John Thompson III chuckled.

"It's stress," he said. "When you're playing a bunch of freshmen and sophomores, that happens."

It also happens when you're preparing to begin play in what some have called the most stacked conference in the history of college basketball withvirtually no bench.

As No. 15 Georgetown (7-1) winds up what Thompson calls "the preseason" against Mount St. Mary's on Saturday and Florida International onTuesday, all the coach wants for Christmas is a modicum of consistency from his reserves.

Through eight games, first-year starters Greg Monroe (13.3 points, 5.8 rebounds, 2.5 blocks) and Chris Wright (12.4 points, 3.8 assists) have seamlesslyslid into spots vacated by stars Roy Hibbert and Jonathan Wallace, giving the Hoyas one of the nation's best first fives.

But the drop-off after the first unit has been precipitous. Georgetown's starters are shooting 55.2 percent, second in the nation to Utah State (57.0).Georgetown's reserves are shooting 37.9 percent. Among the 25 teams ranked by the Associated Press, only No. 20 Arizona State receives fewer points a gamefrom its bench than Georgetown (13.1) and a lower percentage of its scoring from its bench than the Hoyas (17.1 percent).

Factor in that Arizona State's Herb Sendek plays his bench far less than Thompson does, and the Hoyas' reserves actually are the least efficient inthe nation among ranked teams (.230 points per minute).

"They've got to get up to snuff," said Thompson, whose squad's lone loss - to Tennessee in the Old Spice Classic - was a case study incomparative depth. "Everyone else has to figure out how to help that second group, from coaches to other players to managers. It's an inexperiencedgroup that is bumbling along like a colt. Colts don't survive in the Big East."

The lone bright spot among the Hoyas' bench corps has been freshman guard Jason Clark, who leads the reserves in scoring (4.
glasses.gif
, rebounding (3.0) andminutes (18.0). But what the Hoyas need most is frontcourt help, particularly rebounding, to assist Monroe and junior forward DaJuan Summers.

Frontcourt reserves Julian Vaughn (6-foot-9, 246 pounds) and Henry Sims (6-10, 225) have failed to make an impact, forcing Thompson to lean on theundersized Omar Wattad for help in the paint. The sophomore swingman has displayed laudable intensity and effort, but Wattad lacks the size and athleticism toadequately fill that role in the rugged Big East.

The upshot is that Thompson and his charges are just over a week from entering a brutal three-game sequence to open league play - at No. 2 Connecticut, vs.No. 3 Pittsburgh, at No. 12 Notre Dame. The Hoyas will face the Big East's top three post players - UConn's Hasheem Thabeet, Pittsburgh's DeJuanBlair and Notre Dame's Luke Harangody - with no proven frontcourt support for Monroe and Summers.

20081220-004916-pic-230116109.jpg

Associated Press Julian Vaughn (second from right) and the Georgetown reserves have struggled to contribute much of anything this season.

"They are a willing group, and they are working hard," Thompson said. "As I've said to a lot of them collectively and individually, oneday soon - soon - the skies are going to open up and things are going to clear up."

Given the colossal conference clouds on the horizon, that's certainly a sunny forecast.

Home

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, Helvetica]Georgetown Basketball: Pre-Game Report [/font]
[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Mt.St. Mary's (3-6)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Coach: Milan Brown
(Howard '93)
6th season, 63-97
Career: Same
AP: Not Ranked
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Expected Starters[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Name[/td] [td]Ht.[/td] [td]Pts.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jeremy Goode[/td] [td]5-9[/td] [td]17.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jean Cajou[/td] [td]6-3[/td] [td]13.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Kelly Beidler[/td] [td]6-5[/td] [td]10.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Markus Mitchell[/td] [td]6-7[/td] [td]5.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sam Atupem[/td] [td]6-7[/td] [td]6.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Team Stats:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points/Game:[/td] [td]66.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points Allowed:[/td] [td]67.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Shooting:[/td] [td]43.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Defense[/td] [td]44.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3FG Shooting:[/td] [td]33.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FT Shooting:[/td] [td]64.4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rebounds/Game[/td] [td]33.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Assists/Game[/td] [td]10.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Turnovers/Game[/td] [td]12.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Last 5 Games (1-4)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12/01: MSM 57, AU 52
12/04: S. Heart 80, MSM 75
12/06: C. Conn 66, MSM 65
12/09: Navy 68, MSM 65
12/13: Penn St. 61, MSM 55

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Game 9: Mt. St. Mary's University
December 20, 1:00 pm, Verizon Center
Tickets Available? Yes
TV: MASN
MSM Radio: WTHU-1450
About The Mountaineers:
Enrollment: 1,600
Conference: Northeast
Record vs. Georgetown: 5-19
Last Five Games:
1957-58: at GU 73, MSM 69
1958-59: GU 85 at MSM 76
1959-60: at GU 81, MSM 73
1960-61: at MSM 93, GU 79
1961-62: at GU 86, MSM 70
[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Game Notes[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]--Georgetown and Mt. St. Mary's are the two oldest Catholic colleges in the U.S, with Georgetown founded in 1789 and MSM in 1808.
--MSM's first round win in the 2008 NCAA's was its first in three tries at the Division I level, However, the Mount had an impressive run of NCAA success in the College Division (Division II), winning the 1962 national title.
--Since 2007-08, MSM is 20-5 when leading at the half, 2-16 when trailing.
--Mount St. Mary's is 0-8 against Big East opponents since 1988 and 1-12 against ranked opponents.
--Georgetown is 14-7 in games played on December 20.
[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]The December non-conference season winds down with two games over the next three days, beginning Saturday against Mount St. Mary's. While neither Mount St. Mary's nor Florida International were scheduled to overwhelm the Hoyas, an underrated Mt. St. Mary's team could be another good test at this point of the season.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]MSM is 3-6 but has lost four straight by five or less, and has lost only one game this season by double digits. Four of its five starters average 41 percent or better from the floor, and with 6.6 steals per game, the Mount can give teams trouble if opponents are not paying attention on the pass. That having been said, the Mountaineer advantages play into Georgetown's strengths.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]The Mountaineers will drive its offense in the backcourt, where junior Jeremy Goode has averaged 25.7 points in the team's three wins and 17.6 per game overall. Goode averages nearly 38 minutes a game and is the team's best outside shooter, but can take some bad shots and is susceptible to turnovers under pressure. Fellow guard Jean Cajou has been more consistent from the field (41.3%) but his 5-9 size may lead to matchup problems aside 6-3 Jessie Sapp.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Like many mid-major teams, MSM suffers from a lack of size up front. 6-5 Kelly Beidler figures to get some looks in the Mount's offense and has led the team in rebounds in five games this season, but has not connected consistently from outside (34.3%) and was just 3-9 in a narrow loss to Penn State on Dec. 13. Senior Markus Mitchell, at 6-7 and 245, could provide some help inside, with two double figure rebounding efforts this season. Senior Sam Atupem is 13-18 over his last four games, but does not get enough scoring chances to be an offensive force for the Mount (he took one shot in 23 minutes versus Penn State).[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]The Mount will play up to four from its bench, with 6-7 Shawn Atupem (12 points versus Penn State, 8.1 per game overall) as its best option.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Some keys to the game:[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]1. Assists Georgetown managed only 10 assists against memphis, but look for more interior passing and plays that will expose MSM's inside weaknesses.
2. Jessie Sapp: While Sapp was strong defensively, his shooting took a back seat in last week's game versus Memphis. This week could see a return for his offensive stats.
3. Dress Rehearsal: Georgetown has not established consistent bench production to date. If Julian Vaughn and Henry Sims are going to contribute in January, these next two games may be their last chance to make an in-game impression.
[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Mount St. Mary's is not Savannah State--its guards can get points and they are very capable of keeping the game close early. With no reserves taller than 6-7, though, the Mountaineers will be challenged inside by Dajuan Summers and Greg Monroe, which should allow Georgetown to pull away in the second half.[/font]
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td] [table][tr][td]Georgetown (7-1)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Coach: John Thompson III
(Princeton '88)
4th season, 107-37
Career: 178-79
AP: #15
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Expected Starters[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Name[/td] [td]Ht.[/td] [td]Pts.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Chris Wright[/td] [td]6-1[/td] [td]12.4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jessie Sapp[/td] [td]6-2[/td] [td]9.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Austin Freeman[/td] [td]6-4[/td] [td]13.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Dajuan Summers[/td] [td]6-8[/td] [td]14.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Greg Monroe[/td] [td]6-11[/td] [td]13.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Team Stats:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points/Game:[/td] [td]76.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points Allowed[/td] [td]57.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Shooting:[/td] [td]51.4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Defense:[/td] [td]33.1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3FG Shooting:[/td] [td]31.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FT Shooting:[/td] [td]75.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rebounds/Game[/td] [td]34.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Assists/Game[/td] [td]13.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Turnovers/Game[/td] [td]14.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Last 5 Games (4-1)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11/28: Tenn. 90, GU 78
11/30: GU 75, Maryland 48
12/06: GU 73, American 49
12/13: GU 79, Memphis 70

As poor as we played this first half, I'll take it solely because of how aggressive Julian has been.

Much, much better.

Still curious as to why Jessie came off the bench, and he still is in a funk. we need him to break out of it.

Great thing about this team that teams in the past haven't done...Getting to the line. And we're making them. It's a great addition to this systemand comes with better talent. Chris in particular and great to see him making them, something he has ALWAYS struggled with.

Henry was better tonight. But we still don't know what he or Julian will bring.

Onto Monday....and man, that opening of the conference schedule is not pretty...

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Onto Monday....and man, that opening of the conference schedule is not pretty...
finally...on to games that i can finally see on tv
laugh.gif

Home

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Connecticut (11-0)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Coach: Jim Calhoun
(American Int'l '68)
23rd season, 537-200
Career: 785-337
Ranking: AP #2
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Expected Starters:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Name[/td] [td]Ht.[/td] [td]Pts.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]A.J. Price[/td] [td]6-2[/td] [td]10.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jerome Dyson[/td] [td]6-3[/td] [td]15.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Craig Austrie[/td] [td]6-3[/td] [td]11.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jeff Adrien[/td] [td]6-7[/td] [td]14.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hasheem Thabeet[/td] [td]7-3[/td] [td]14.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Team Stats:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points/Game:[/td] [td]82.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points Allowed:[/td] [td]61.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Shooting:[/td] [td]50.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Defense[/td] [td]37.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3FG Shooting:[/td] [td]37.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FT Shooting:[/td] [td]70.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rebounds/Game[/td] [td]41.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Assists/Game[/td] [td]16.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Turnovers/Game[/td] [td]11.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Last 5 Games (5-0)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12/01: UC 79, Del. St. 49
12/04: UC 68, Buffalo 64
12/15: UC 91, S. Brook 57
12/20: UC 88, Gonzaga 83
12/26: UC 75, Fairfield 55
[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Game 11: vs. University of Connecticut
December 29, 7:00 pm (EST), XL Center
Tickets Available? Sellout Expected
TV: ESPN
GU Radio: WTNT-570
UC Radio: WTIC-1080

About The Huskies:
Enrollment: 27,579
Conference: Big East
2007-08 Record: 24-9
Record vs. Georgetown: 27-31
Last Five Games:
2004-05: at UC 83, GU 64
2004-05: UC 66, GU 62 (New York, NY)
2005-06: at UC 74, GU 66
2006-07: at GU 59, UC 46
2007-08: at GU 72, UC 69
[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Game Notes[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]--This is the first meeting that both teams have both been nationally ranked since the 1996 Big East Tournament.
--Connecticut has led the nation in blocks seven straight seasons.
--Jeff Adrien has 37 double-doubles over his three years at UConn, most of any Big East player.
--Georgetown is 17-12 in games played on December 29.
[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]When last we met the Connecticut Huskies, Georgetown escaped last year with experience, playing with a home court advantage, and a three pointer from Roy Hibbert. Monday, they have none of these.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Georgetown enters Monday's Big East opener with a tall task ahead of them--gather the timing and experience of a veteran club against a team that has been together for the better part of three seasons. Jim Calhoun's reclamation project of the Huskies began three years ago, amid claims he ran players off to rebuild the conference's flagship program of the 1990's. From missing the post-season in 2007, to a 13-5 record and a first round loss in the NCAA's in 2008, Calhoun has been building for 2009, while Georgetown is rebuilding. That's the challenge in the 2008-09 Big East opener.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]A.J. Price returns for a third year as the starting point guard,with 60 straight games under his belt. His shooting has been down in 2008-09 (36%) but he has picked it up from outside, with a career high 43% from outside. His 4.75 assist per game average bears watching, as it drives the ability to set up players down low. Price hist for 24 points and 10 assists in the neutral site win over Gonzaga in Seattle. Last season, Price was 3-11 against the Hoyas--in the 28 games since, he's only had one game as poor, and won't be looking for a repeat before the home crowd.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]With the early season injury to Stanley Robinson, senior Craig Austrie has found himself back in the starting lineup. Austrie has never taken over the scoring column as some predicted, but he can bring a steady presence to the Huskies across many lineup changes. Austrie averages nearly 10 points a game this season, but is 3-11 in his last two starts. With the offensive firepower the Huskies have built in 2008-09, a down day for Austrie is not a cause for concern.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Jerome Dyson's scoring has been inconsistent in December and will be tested Monday. Dyson has come up big against big opponents (27 versus Wisconsin, 21 vs. Gonzaga) but he was 3-14 versus Buffalo and 4-14 against Fairfield. Dyson played only 19 minutes in last year's game, shooting 4-8, but his matchup across from Austin Freeman may be one of the two pivotal matchups. of the entire game.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]A candidate for Big East player of the Year consideration, Jeff Adrien has been a consistent scoring and rebounding addition across the board. A first team All-Big East selection last season, Adrien has improved his shooting (55%) and reduced turnovers which have hurt him for each of the prior two seasons. He could be the toughest test for dajuan Summers all season.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Two years of inconsistent play hurt 7-3 Hasheem Thabeet's ability to take over games in the past, but 2008-09 has shown he is now up to the task: 14.8 points, 11.1 rebounds, and 3.5 blocks a game. No less impressive: only 25 fouls all season. Last year, we wrote that "Sometime soon, Thabeet will take over a game, but Roy Hibbert presents considerable obstacles to that." Well, a four year Roy Hibbert isn't there, and a rookie in Greg Monroe isn't there yet.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]UConn enters Monday's game with size, experience, great stats on the boards (41.3 rebounds a game) and a punishing field goal defense. Georgetown's narrow win last season was built on keeping UConn off the boards, as the Huskies managed only 29 rebounds all game and were outrebounded by three. Georgetown's middling efforts on the boards this year comes up as a big red flag in this one, because without a dominating rebound effort, UConn could build an early lead that Georgetown may be ill-suited for a comeback, especially against a style of play like Connecticut's.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Here's a look at some potential matchups:[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Chris Wright vs. A.J. Price. Both Price and Jonathan Wallace struggled from the field in last season's matchup, combining to shoot 5-19. Price could make things difficult for Weight early, and Wright will need to refocus his efforts across UConn's matchup zone.
Jessie Sapp vs. Craig Austrie. That not so subtle tap on Sapp's shoulders in his failure to start against FIU was no accident-Sapp's numbers have been slipping for much of the non-conference season. While he can give Austrie a tough go defensively, Sapp must pick up his offensive efforts.
Austin Freeman vs. Jerome Dyson. Dyson's quickness figures to give him an advantage against Freeman, playing in his first Big East home game, but Freeman needs to stay patient and not overextend himself.
DaJuan Summers vs.Jeff Adrien . A tough matchup for both teams. Summers must avoid foul trouble which leaves GU vulnerable from the bench.
Greg Monroe vs. Hasheem Thabeet. Monroe must be careful to avoid early foul trouble and letting Thabeet's size intimidate him into overreaching.
GU bench vs. UConn bench. UConn does not depend on its bench, although freshman guard Kemba Walker (9.9 ppg) and the returning Stanley Robinson could start on most teams in the nation. Georgetown's bench is a question mark and its modest strength could be a source for concern after this one.
[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Keys to the game follow last year's call:
1. 75 points. Georgetown wins at its pace, not Connecticut's. The first team to 75 will be in good shape heading into the final minutes.
2. Rebound Margin. At 41 rebounds a game, anything close to that means UConn wins this game on the boards.
3. Three Pointers Georgetown tacked on 10 three pointers to UConn's five last season, and the 10th was the difference maker.
[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]For UConn to win, the Huskies hold Georgetown under 50% shooting, get Monroe and Summers in early foul trouble, and force turnovers that play to their speed in the backcourt. If Georgetown can control the play at the guard position as it did last season, it sets the tempo that allows its big men to thrive and rebounds to work in its favor. Experience and a hostile road environment will be challenges to both pursuits.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Welcome to Big East play.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Some keys to the game:[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]1. An Early Decision OK, so the FIU media guide lists Verizon Center as "5,000", either a typo on capacity or an attendance guess. In either case, an early start by the Hoyas is needed to settle the score early.
2. Jessie Sapp: This is the last opportunity for Sapp to build back his shooting numbers.
3. Who's Off The Bench? Omar Wattad has earned time off the bench, but few others have to date. Tuesday's game is their last, best chance to be viable candidates for time in Big East play.
[/font]
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td] [table][tr][td]Georgetown (9-1)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Coach: John Thompson III
(Princeton '88)
4th season, 109-37
Career: 180-79
AP: #12
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Expected Starters[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Name[/td] [td]Ht.[/td] [td]Pts.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Chris Wright[/td] [td]6-1[/td] [td]13.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jessie Sapp[/td] [td]6-2[/td] [td]8.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Austin Freeman[/td] [td]6-4[/td] [td]13.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Dajuan Summers[/td] [td]6-8[/td] [td]14.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Greg Monroe[/td] [td]6-11[/td] [td]12.4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Team Stats:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points/Game:[/td] [td]76.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points Allowed[/td] [td]55.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Shooting:[/td] [td]49.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Defense:[/td] [td]33.4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3FG Shooting:[/td] [td]33.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FT Shooting:[/td] [td]74.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rebounds/Game[/td] [td]35.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Assists/Game[/td] [td]13.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Turnovers/Game[/td] [td]13.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Last 5 Games (5-0)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12/06: GU 73, American 49
12/20: GU 69, MSM 58
12/23: GU 76, FIU 38

Great win monday--great win.

The team is better with Chris and Greg running the show rather than Jon and Roy...And I LOVE those two. (if there is one guy missing it's Pat...or evenVern would be great to have this year)

They are just able to do so much more, push the ball, pick and roll. Greg is just a tremendous passer and offers so much versatility.

Chris is just a 6 foot MAN. Thank god we took him over Scottie Reynolds.

Dajuan has really stepped into a leadership role and has elevated his game to boot. You can see he is much more comfortable in the mid range.

Austin is just quietly productive. And his mid range/slashing is much improved.

Sapp is in a bit of a shooting slump, but still--nobody I trust more.

Tomorrow's game is huge, and thankfully a noon start at home. You get off to a conference start with wins over Uconn and Pitt, you get to play with housemoney.

Greg HAS to stay out of foul trouble. Same with Dajuan, if they do..we can fare pretty well.

I don't think Pitt will punch us in the mouth like last year and that be enough.

REBOUND, REBOUND, REBOUND. BE TOUGH.

Julian is KEY tomorrow in his 12-15 minutes. He has to continue to be active and mix it up with Blair.

Sam Young might just end up getting his regardless of the defense we play or who is on him..

IMO, we HAVE to win the guard match ups. And I'm confident Chris is just a better player than Levance at this point.

III is just absolutely phenomenal...if you see the first post in this thread, I wrote on what I hope he improves o.n in game planning, and he has.

He'll make sure the team takes it one game at a time.

Just hope they continue to show improvement..W or L this early is not that important, although nice to have.

Georgetown's newest voice: Frosh Monroe's got game

By JOSEPH WHITE, AP Sports Writer 1 hour, 50 minutes ago

Buzz up!
Print

WASHINGTON (AP)-If basketball doesn't pan out for Greg Monroe-and it seems that it most certainly will-he should consider taking his wonderfully mellow,bass voice on the road in a Four Tops revival tour.

"Once he starts talking," teammate Jessie Sapp said, "it's like, 'Dag, you're a little boy with this voice?"'

Monroe, however, insists the only performing he does is on the basketball court.

"I never really got into singing at all," he said. "I don't know how my voice got this deep."

Monroe is Georgetown's biggest freshman presence since Allen Iverson. He exudes a maturity on and off the court that screams one-and-done for the NBA. Yetit's that same maturity that suggests the 18-year-old player from New Orleans just might stay four years and earn a degree in his favorite subject,psychology.

"He's very mature to be a freshman," teammate DaJuan Summers said. "Like coach says, he doesn't have the luxury to act like a freshman,so we're not going to treat him like one."
ADVERTISEMENT

But he is very much a freshman, and Georgetown does not allow freshman to speak to the media during their first semester, making Friday's practice amuch-anticipated one.

Monroe got to speak, and the No. 11 Hoyas (10-1) are the early surprise of the Big East. They blew away No. 2 Connecticut on the road in their conferenceopener Monday in a game in which the 6-foot-11 Monroe outscored 7-foot-3 junior Hasheem Thabeet 16-4.

In a scene repeated many times at Georgetown, Monroe was coached before the interview session and given a critique immediately afterward. Coach John ThompsonIII interrupted one of his own answers to glance toward spokesman Bill Shapland and ask: "How'd he do, Shap?" Shapland responded with a slightaffirmative nod.

Monroe said he came to Georgetown because Thompson didn't guarantee the moon, a pitch the consensus No. 1 high school recruit often heard elsewhere.

"That's exactly what it was," Monroe said. "A lot of promises were made, but he came in and told me, 'You're going to come in,you're going to work, you're going to get better.' He said he won't let me come in and not get better. That was the one thing that really stoodout.

"Also, him saying that everything that you do is going to be for the betterment of the team, and I think that was the biggest point that he made."

On his adjustment to the college game: "Even though you see stuff on TV and think I fit in pretty well, I'm still growing, still trying to find outwhat Coach really wants out of me."

Is he able to dismiss all the hype? "Yes, especially with Pittsburgh next on the schedule. It's kind of easy."

Thompson will love that answer. Pittsburgh, ranked No. 3, visits Georgetown on Saturday.

Why psychology? "I've always been interested in people. I observe people at lot, just the human mind, why people do stuff, why they think aboutstuff."

Monroe had no explanation for his coolness under pressure at tough-to-visit UConn, although Sapp notes that today's top recruits already have dealt withbig crowds before leaving high school. The remarkable thing about Monroe is that he didn't arrive on campus full of himself.

"Greg is poised," Thompson said. "He's poised on the floor, he's poised off the floor. He's intelligent. A lot of that goes towardthe fact that he embraces helping his teammates. It's not just something that's he's good at, it's not just his God-given ability, but he getspleasure in trying to help his teammates be better.

"I'm not sure whether it's unique, but for someone who is as ballyhooed as he is, someone who has gotten so much attention, he truly embraces theconcept of team."

Team first is a prerequisite for running Thompson's Princeton offense, and it shows in Monroe's numbers. He is fourth on the team in scoring a 12.7average, but that's less than two points per game fewer than leading scorer Summers. Monroe leads the team in rebounding (5.4), field goal percentage(57.9), blocks (1.9), steals (1.
glasses.gif
and has even heaved a pair of successful 3-pointers. He's also fourth in assists (2.0) and shooting 72.5 percent fromthe foul line.

"Everything we do is by committee in terms of the goals we want to accomplish," Thompson said. "The concept of team is something that'sessential to how we play on the court as well as how we operate off the court. That's part of why he was a good fit. I think he walked in the door being anextremely unselfish kid."

Georgetown's early Big East schedule is brutal. After No. 2 Connecticut and No. 3 Pittsburgh, the Hoyas face No. 7 Notre Dame, Providence and No. 13Syracuse. Then there's a nonconference game at No. 5 Duke.

If successful during that stretch, the Hoyas will certainly be a top-five themselves, and the number of NBA scouts watching Monroe will be even greater. Thedecision on whether to turn pro, however, can wait.

"You have to focus on the opponent that's in front of us," Thompson said. "Once the year's over, we'll go though that process."

Home

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Pittsburgh (13-0)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Coach: Jamie Dixon
(TCU '87)
6th season, 145-40
Career: Same
AP: #3
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Expected Starters:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Name[/td] [td]Ht.[/td] [td]Pts.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Levance Fields[/td] [td]5-10[/td] [td]10.4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jermaine Dixon[/td] [td]6-3[/td] [td]7.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sam Young[/td] [td]6-6[/td] [td]19.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Tyrell Biggs[/td] [td]6-6[/td] [td]8.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]DeJuan Blair[/td] [td]6-7[/td] [td]13.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Team Stats:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points/Game:[/td] [td]77.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points Allowed:[/td] [td]58.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Shooting:[/td] [td]47.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Defense[/td] [td]36.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3FG Shooting:[/td] [td]35.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FT Shooting:[/td] [td]67.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rebounds/Game[/td] [td]41.4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Assists/Game[/td] [td]17.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Turnovers/Game[/td] [td]11.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Last 5 Games (5-0)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12/06: UP 80< Vermont 51
12/13: UP 91, UMBC 56
12/17: UP 79, Siena 60
12/21: UP 56, Fla St. 48
12/31: UP 78, Rutg.72
[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Game 12: vs. University of Pittsburgh
January 3, 12:00 pm (EST), Verizon Center
Tickets Available? Limited
UP Radio: WWSW-94.5

About The Panthers:
Enrollment: 33,796
2007-08 Record: 27-10
Record vs. Georgetown: 32-39
Last Five Games:
2006-07: at UP 74, GU 69
2006-07: at GU 61, UP 53
2006-07: GU 65, UP 42 (New York, NY)
2007-08: at UP 69, GU 60
2007-08: UP 74, GU 65 (New York, NY)
[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Game Notes[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]--Pitt enters Saturday's game ranked #1 in the early season RPI ratings at RealtimeRPI.com.
--Georgetown enters the game ranked #2 nationally in FG defense, Pitt #11.
--Pitt has advanced to the Big East finals six times since 2001.
--Levance Fields needs four points to reach the 1,000 point career mark at Pitt.
--Georgetown is 19-7 in games played on January 3, 5-4 in the Big East era. In the Big East, Georgetown has won five straight on Jan. 3 dating back to a 55-46 win over Pitt on Jan. 3, 1995.
[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Conventional wisdom will focus on the big men in Saturday's showdown between #3 Pittsburgh and #11 Georgetown, After all, it was down low where Roy Hibbert shut down Aaron Gray in the 2007 Big East final and where DeJuan Blair returned the favor in two games last year. But despite some strong matchups among the big men in Saturday's game, look to the backcourt for the keys to a winning outcome.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]In fact, look no further than last year, when Ronald Ramon's 12 point second half in the 2008 Big East final, much of it from the line, allowed the Panthers to keep a lead throughout the second half. Ramon is gone and both teams have some new names in the backcourt, but in a game where tough play is a given, ball control and driving the lane will tell the story of how effective each team's interior defense can be.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Levance Fields was injured in the first meeting between the teams last year and finished just 2-10 in the Big East final, and his inconsistent shooting has been a point of emphasis for opposing defenses. Fields shot just 4-13 in the Panthers' narrow win over Rutgers at the RAC, but his six assists (against one turnover) helped keep Pitt strong during Rutgers' late game run. For the season, Fields maintains a 4.36 to 1 assist to turnover ratio and this has been vital to Pitt's early success. Any hot streak from Fields outside poses problems for Georgetown.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Junior college transfer Jermaine Dixon has not taken as many shots as Fields nor has the assist numbers, but picked up 10 points in the Big East opener against Rutgers. Not considered an outside threat (7-38), Jermaine Dixon may see limited time if Jamie Dixon (no relation) opts to go to sophomore Brad Wanamaker, off a career high 15 point effort (with four three pointers) against the Scarlet Knights Wednesday.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Pitt's strength is up front, with a range of front court talent that has elevated it to the top of the basketball polls this year. Sam Young, a pre-season All-Big East selection at forward, has been outstanding in 2008-09, averaging nearly 20 points a game shooting 52% from the field. He is an able shooter inside and outside, can get a rebound, and leads the team in blocked shots despite being only 6-6. Young has scored in double figures in 55 of his last 59 games--two of which were against Georgetown. Across from Young is Tyrell Biggs, a 6-8 forward who isn't flashy but will do what is needed at the right time. Biggs had 10 rebounds in Wednesday's game with Rutgers and averages just under 50 percent from the field. One concern: a 61% free throw average.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]In middle is the nationally underrated Dejuan Blair, on his way to an All-America season. With 13.7 points, 12.1 rebounds, and a 62% shooting average, Blair can do it all. Blair played only eight minutes and was held to a season low two rebounds Wednesday, but has posted six games this season of 13 or more boards. If he can stay out of foul trouble, Blair poses a big problem.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Pitt enters Saturday's game with a strong rebound average (41 per game, 15 offensive) that should be a point of emphasis for the Hoyas. But if Pitt can get point production from Fields, Dixon, Wannamaker, or Gilbert Brown, it opens up the middle in a big way.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Here's a look at some potential matchups:[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Chris Wright vs. Levance Fields. One big question: can Fields stay up with Wright's speed? Defensively, Jessie Sapp may switch off and force Fields outside.
Jessie Sapp vs. Jermaine Dixon. Sapp's shooting struggles continued against UConn, but may be due for a turn for the better against Dixon.
Austin Freeman vs. Sam Young. A very tough matchup for Freeman, yet his efforts on Jerome Dyson did not go unnoticed in Monday's win. Keeping Young from second chance points will be a priority.
DaJuan Summers vs.Tyrell Biggs . Summers has not fared well against Pitt in recent games, fouling out in both games last season. Summers owns a quickness edge on Blair but must not overextend himself early, especially given Georgetown's thin bench at the power forward position .
Greg Monroe vs. Dejuan Blair. Monroe's effort versus UConn a surprise to a lot of Big East fans but Pitt will be ready. Monroe works best when he is on the court, so avoiding early fouls is a must. Look for Julian Vaughn to see some time battling Blair inside to keep Monroe active later in the game.
GU bench vs. UConn bench. Neither team will draw much from its bench, although it will be interesting to see if Wanamaker's effort against Rutgers was an anomaly or a breakout.
[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Keys to the game:
1. Zone!: Pitt opened up man to man against Rutgers: the Scarlet shot 61%. In the second half, Pitt focused on the zone, and the Knights shot 27%. Georgetown must be ready to face a three-quarter press up the court and zone in the frontcourt.
2. Rebound Margin: Georgetown must keep Pitt to 34 rebounds or less, and give up no more than 10 on the offensive side.
3. Sam Young: Young is capable of taking over a game--will Freeman be up to the defensive challenge?
[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]For Pitt to win, Blair gets Monroe in early foul trouble and takes over inside, while Fields and Dixon force early turnovers that allows Pitt to build a lead and sit on it. If Georgetown can control the play at the guard position as it did last season, it puts pressure on Pitt inside and opens opportunities to take the game to the free throw line. Pitt won the last meeting between the two teams at the line, but its shooting to date leaves room for doubt that it can close the door on the road.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Anytime you can beat a top five team, it's a good week. Beat two, and well, that's a great one.[/font]
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td] [table][tr][td]Georgetown (10-1)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Coach: John Thompson III
(Princeton '88)
5th season, 110-37
Career: 181-79
AP: #11
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Expected Starters[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Name[/td] [td]Ht.[/td] [td]Pts.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Chris Wright[/td] [td]6-1[/td] [td]13.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jessie Sapp[/td] [td]6-2[/td] [td]8.58[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Austin Freeman[/td] [td]6-4[/td] [td]13.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Dajuan Summers[/td] [td]6-8[/td] [td]14.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Greg Monroe[/td] [td]6-11[/td] [td]12.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Team Stats:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points/Game:[/td] [td]75.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points Allowed[/td] [td]56.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Shooting:[/td] [td]49.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Defense:[/td] [td]34.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3FG Shooting:[/td] [td]34.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FT Shooting:[/td] [td]75.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rebounds/Game[/td] [td]35.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Assists/Game[/td] [td]13.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Turnovers/Game[/td] [td]13.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Last 5 Games (5-0)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12/08: GU 100, Sav.St. 38
12/29: GU 74, UConn 63

Well--we got our #!% kicked up and down the floor the last 15 minutes.

It was disgusting.

MOVING ON...

If you told me I could split Uconn/Pitt I woulda taken it...now tonight is a big game. We match up well with ND but winning there is damn near impossible...sowe'll see what happens.

I want more minutes for Jason Clark. He is an incredible rebounder and that is desperately needed right now.
Thompson is somewhat at a loss as to the solution for the rebounding woes.
"I'm not sure [what to do], to be honest," he said. "I don't think it's a question of tactics or methods or go-watch-a-new-video to figure out what we need to do. I just think we need to go get the ball."

Dajuan and Greg have to stay out of foul trouble.

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Notre Dame (10-3)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Coach: Mike Brey
(G. Washington '82)
8th season, 177-89
Career: 276-141
AP: #7
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Expected Starters:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Name[/td] [td]Ht.[/td] [td]Pts.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Tory Jackson[/td] [td]5-11[/td] [td]11.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Kyle McAlarney[/td] [td]6-0[/td] [td]16.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Ryan Ayers[/td] [td]6-7[/td] [td]12.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Luke Harangody[/td] [td]6-8[/td] [td]23.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Z. Hillesland[/td] [td]6-9[/td] [td]6.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Team Stats:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points/Game:[/td] [td]82.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points Allowed:[/td] [td]66.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Shooting:[/td] [td]46.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Defense[/td] [td]41.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3FG Shooting:[/td] [td]40.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FT Shooting:[/td] [td]65.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rebounds/Game[/td] [td]40.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Assists/Game[/td] [td]19.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Turnovers/Game[/td] [td]9.4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Last 5 Games (4-1)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12/13: ND 74, Boston U 67
12/20: ND 88, Del St. 50
12/22: ND 81, Sav. St. 49
12/31: ND 92, DePaul 82
01/03: St. John's 71, ND 65
[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Game 13: vs. University of Notre Dame
January 5, 7:00 pm (EST), Joyce Center
Tickets Available? Sellout Expected
ND Radio: WLS-890

About The Fighting Irish:
Enrollment: 8,332
2007-08 Record: 25-8
Record vs. Georgetown: 10-14
Last Five Games:
2005-06: GU 85, at ND 82
2005-06: GU 67, ND 63 (Big East, New York, NY)
2006-07: at GU 66, ND 48
2006-07: GU 84, ND 82 (Big East, New York, NY)
2007-08: at GU 84, ND 65
[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Game Notes[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]--Notre Dame enters Monday's game with a 53 game home win streak, most among Division I schools.
--Luke Harangody is one of four Big East players since 2000 to average better than 20 points and 10 rebounds in a season. The others? Troy Murphy (ND), Carmelo Anthony (Syr), and Mike Sweetney (Georgetown).
--Georgetown is 5-5 all time at the Joyce Center dating back to the 1973-74 season.
--Georgetown is 13-15 in games played on January 5, 6-3 in the Big East era.
[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Two teams that got hammered on the boards meet Monday--one that expected it, one that did not.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Despite its best hopes, Georgetown knew it was in for a fight with Pitt inside and the numbers showed it. But Notre Dame could not have been more surprised by being outrebounded 41-30 by St. John's (yes, that St. John's) Saturday in a 71-65 loss at Madison Square Garden. With its home win streak on the line and the battle to see who can stay alongside Pitt in the second week of the season, Georgetown and Notre Dame could again be a game decided inside.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]As Big East games go, Notre Dame is a mirror team: at home, win nearly 80 percent, on the road, they're below .500. In that sense, the loss at St. John's wasn't totally out of the question, but it points to a weakness that seems to stop at the doors of the Joyce Center. In 43 straight home games over nearly four years, ND has stopped 15 of 16 Big East schools--the only one they haven't met in this run is Georgetown, which has won five straight in the series dating back to John Thompson III's second season at the Hilltop.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]The ND lineup is little changed from last year's meeting, where the Irish went on the road to Washington and suffered a loss not unlike Georgetown's encounter with Pitt--poor outside shooting and ineffective board play allowed Georgetown a comfortable 19 point win, holding ND to just 35% shooting and a combined 7-28 shooting from Luke Harangody and Kyle McAlarney. There will be no repeat of those numbers tonight.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Tory Jackson returns as the point guard for ND. Best remembered by Georgetown fans for his efforts in the 2007 Big East semifinal, Jackson can be up and down in games but has held up well in two early Big East games, shooting 10-22 from the field, and scoring 14 against St. John's. His 5.69 assist per game average is worth following--he was held to just three in last year's game with the Hoyas.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Kyle McAlarney was the go-to guy earlier this season, with 39 against North Carolina and 32 against Furman, but his numbers have tapered back somewhat, shooting 8-23 against DePaul and St. John's combined, 4-14 from outside. In three prior games he has scored just 12 points against the Hoyas, and will be counted upon for a big game by the homestanding Irish fans.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]6-7 Ryan Ayers struggled in Saturday's St. John's game with a season low two points, but is capable of big scoring efforts, with a 47 percent field goal percentage and nearly 45% from three. Ayers hit four big threes in the Irish win over DePaul but was shut out against the Redmen, 0-4.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Luke Harangody isn't Dejuan Blair, but his offensive numbers are even better and he will be a focus of the Georgetown defensive effort. He has scored in double figures in all 11 games played, with double figures in rebounding in seven of them. harangody is averaging six offensive rebounds a game and GU can't afford a repeat of opponents parking under the basket for the easy putback. Harangody takes a lot of shots (averaging 21 per game in Big East play) and his defender must avoid fouls, where he is 27-31 from the line in his last four games and 77 percent overall. Center Zach Hillesland (and/or backup Luke Zeller) aren't counted on for many points due to Harangody's presence, but will average between six and eight per game.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Like Pitt, ND has a need for a statement game--it has one win over a top 10 team since 2006 and a loss to St. John's won't help them in March. Here's a look at some potential matchups:[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Chris Wright vs. Tory Jackson. Wright must rediscover the assist and the outside shot that went missing vs. Pitt.
Jessie Sapp vs. Kyle McAlarney. Sapp was effective in closing McAlarney down last season and will be counted to do so again. Sapp's shooting, unfortunately, is AWOL, and Georgetown cannot expect to remain close without better guard shooting as a whole.
Austin Freeman vs. Ryan Ayers. Freeman tends to play well on the road and he could match up well in sets against Ayers.
DaJuan Summers vs.Luke Harangody. A big test for Summers and a bigger test should he get into foul trouble, where Julian Vaughn has not shown much to date as a backup.
Roy Hibbert vs. Zach Hillesland. If Monroe avoids the early foul, this could be a nice recovery game for him, if Georgetown can rediscover the inside game on display versus UConn last Monday.
GU bench vs. UConn bench. Center Luke Zeller (4.8, 2.
glasses.gif
will see 10-15 minutes in the game. Georgetown's bench, well, needs some signs of life. The bench is shooting just 22% from the three point arc and 34% overall.
[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Keys to the game:
1. Outside Shooting. Close down the outside option, and the Irish could be fighting from behind.
2. Rebound Margin. For the third straight game, Georgetown faces an opponent with a sizable rebound margin. It neutralized UConn's board work and had no answer for Pitt down low. As St. John's illustrated, shutting ND down low limits the damage from harangody and keeps opponents in the game.
3. Jessie Sapp. While his defensive work on McAlarney is a must, a better shooting effort takes pressure off inside and opens lanes for Summers and Monroe. Sapp is 3-11 in two prior games to ND last season and responded with 14 points against the Irish. This season, he is 3-14 in the past two games entering this one.
[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]For ND to win, Harangody tops 25, Ayers responds from outside, and McAlarney puts the game away at the line. Georgetown must, for its part, return to its offensive game plan, jump-start its outside shooting, and protect the boards. It's never easy to face a team with a lengthy win streak, but Pitt showed that records are made to be broken, and in a big way.[/font]
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td] [table][tr][td]Georgetown (10-2)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Coach: John Thompson III
(Princeton '88)
5th season, 110-38
Career: 181-80
AP: #11
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Expected Starters[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Name[/td] [td]Ht.[/td] [td]Pts.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Chris Wright[/td] [td]6-1[/td] [td]12.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jessie Sapp[/td] [td]6-2[/td] [td]8.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Austin Freeman[/td] [td]6-4[/td] [td]13.1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Dajuan Summers[/td] [td]6-8[/td] [td]15.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Greg Monroe[/td] [td]6-11[/td] [td]12.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Team Stats:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points/Game:[/td] [td]74.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points Allowed[/td] [td]57.4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Shooting:[/td] [td]47.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Defense:[/td] [td]35.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3FG Shooting:[/td] [td]34.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FT Shooting:[/td] [td]75.1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rebounds/Game[/td] [td]33.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Assists/Game[/td] [td]13.1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Turnovers/Game[/td] [td]13.4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Last 5 Games (4-1)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12/13: GU 79, Memphis 70
12/29: GU 74, UConn 63
01/03: Pitt 70, GU 54

Overall you have to like the individual and team match ups...it's just that home court....
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom