Gambling on youth league football in South Florida....OTL Report.

30t6p3b.gif
  This has been going on for a minute just as stated in the video. It kind of caught me off guard when I tuned into ESPN. I live in Broward County (Pompano is about 5-10 mins away from me) and, I'm sure the Dade County fellas can touch on the subject as well. These dudes down here don't care. There has been tons of talent cultivated down here. I grew up around a lot of cats who played ball but,  could never maintain the grades and end up getting caught up in the street life. It's the same case that goes on in other urban communities but here, it's like the rising of the sun. So many dudes that couldve graced the gridiron and did work. I'm proud of Pat Peterson and Leonard Hankerson because, those cats stayed focus, honed their skills, and are now profession athletes. Leonard went to my high school (Dillard High) and, they had son at Defensive End just because of his physique. Then, he transferred to Saint Thomas and dominated at receiver. Those Dillard coaches were fired LONG ago. lol

The coaches here dont really know how to utilize their players here in Broward. Teams are just starting to really run wide, spread open offenses when teams in Cali and TX have been doing it forever. Why would you have a conservative gameplan in an area that is teaming with speed demons? The HS facilities SUCK too. But, back to the betting. Of course it's orchestrated by most of the D-Boys and coaches. When that little league super bowl takes place, all the top dawgs step out. There is so much talent here that it is rediculous. You can go to any apartment complex in Florida, rec center, park, etc and kids are out there playing football barefoot, with socks, tank tops, gym shorts, etc. If you're a black male born in South Florida, you best believe football will indeed be a calling card if you decide to take that route. It's already programmed in out DNA.

Absolutely concur with all my fellow Miami and South Florida Natives responses. 30 plus and raised my entire life in Miami and this has been going on since my childhood. I vividly remember going to Pop warner leagues and Optimist club leagues and seeing various Miami stars of Music and Sports and (TRAP) stars as well. Even at the High School level as well without question. This was frankly the norm as sad as it is for me to say for young South FLA football players.

Absolutely concur with all my fellow Miami and South Florida Natives responses. 30 plus and raised my entire life in Miami and this has been going on since my childhood. I vividly remember going to Pop warner leagues and Optimist club leagues and seeing various Miami stars of Music and Sports and (TRAP) stars as well. Even at the High School level as well without question. This was frankly the norm as sad as it is for me to say for young South FLA football players.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

The problem is these young kids are seeing all this money being passed out and are being influenced and start to look-up to the wrong people just because of the lifestyle that they lead.  In addition to the gambling, who's to say that someone doesn't pull a burner because of a bet gone bad?  Some dude made good on a few bets during a game and was robbed in the parking lot right after.
yeah the issue here is more systemic than just the gambling, put some money on a peewee football game, whatever. but it's a manifestation of all the other problems that arise in poor neighborhoods - the only people kids see with money are drug dealers, and whenever large quantities of money change hands in an extralegal context there's always the risk of violence. say the cops do clean up the games, arrest everyone who flashes bills, prevent anyone but parents from attending, whatever, it's not like these more fundamental issues will go away, it's just that they're extremely obvious here in the youth football context

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

The problem is these young kids are seeing all this money being passed out and are being influenced and start to look-up to the wrong people just because of the lifestyle that they lead.  In addition to the gambling, who's to say that someone doesn't pull a burner because of a bet gone bad?  Some dude made good on a few bets during a game and was robbed in the parking lot right after.
yeah the issue here is more systemic than just the gambling, put some money on a peewee football game, whatever. but it's a manifestation of all the other problems that arise in poor neighborhoods - the only people kids see with money are drug dealers, and whenever large quantities of money change hands in an extralegal context there's always the risk of violence. say the cops do clean up the games, arrest everyone who flashes bills, prevent anyone but parents from attending, whatever, it's not like these more fundamental issues will go away, it's just that they're extremely obvious here in the youth football context

He was "holding the money."
laugh.gif
He should have just gotten up and ran out the room, not even looking back

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CoolNClutch

laugh.gif

What a #+*!%#% dumb @*+
tired.gif

Originally Posted by CoolNClutch

laugh.gif

What a #+*!%#% dumb @*+
tired.gif

Its been going on for a while especially in HS ball. They touch up on it in the "Year of the Bull" Documentary.

Its been going on for a while especially in HS ball. They touch up on it in the "Year of the Bull" Documentary.

Back
Top Bottom