FX: "Taboo" Tom Hardy...Officially Renewed for Season 2

I just binged watched this. I would give it a 7 out of 10. Great world but the show had too many issues for my liking.

Maybe Hardy's pops shouldn't get to write season 2. The show has potential though.

Last edited:
I didn't find it as boring as some of you did. I actually like the slow-burn and world-building. That being said, I won't be watching S2. It was a fun show for a season. That's it.

I found it boring because the story was so, how do I put it, meaningless?

Like what is the central conflict in the damb show? No matter how good Tom Hardy's acting is, James Delaney seems so underdeveloped and one dimensional as a character.

Last edited:
I feel like we watched and are talking about two different shows.

James Delaney is purposely an egnimatic and mysterious character. A sort of force of nature first as he ***** with the East India trading company and the crown of England.

The central conflict is over the land rights of a territory in the Americas that'll dictate the trade market to China, Nunca. The EITC is looking to claim it for themselves since they monopolize so much in the Atlantic, East of Africa, etc. The land is said to be owned by Delaney's father, he dies, the EITC sees this as their chance to strike as they prey on Delaney Sr.'s daughter and chump of a husband.

The first born, assumed to be dead, James Delaney returns to claim his inheritance. CONFLICT.

Then there's the bigger conflict which is the ongoing hostilities between England and America given the time period, a country which is barely 100 at the time. They still beefing coming off the war of 1812. The whole thing clearly implicates Delaney and the EITC given the land in dispute/of desire is in America. CONFLICT.

Then out of the blue it's revealed Delaney Sr. had a wife and that calls in to question James inheriting all of his father's ****. CONFLICT.

It keeps going like that given the season is only 8 eps.

If this story was meaningless what story means anything?

Now if yall just thought it was all boring or didn't care for the subject matter then say so :lol: but saying you don't know what the conflict was or the story had no meaning is nonsense.

Last edited:
I should have chosen my words better. I understand there is a conflict, it is just not griping.

Peaky Blinders pulls off a story based on ambition much better that Taboo did.

Last edited:
:lol: Yall just doing that thing where you compare two British shows just cuz they're British. Let it be a focus on as broad a thing as a show about ambition.

Breaking Bad is a better show about ambition than Taboo and Peaky Blinders.

Nevermind Taboo is only 8 eps, 1 season in.

Last edited:
:lol: Yall just doing that thing where you compare two British shows just cuz they're British. Let it be a focus on as broad a thing as a show about ambition.

Breaking Bad is a better show about ambition than Taboo and Peaky Blinders.

Nevermind Taboo is only 8 eps, 1 season in.

Stop it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Knight

Steven Knight (born 1959) is a British screenwriter and film director. He read English at University College London (UCL). Knight has written the screenplays for the films Closed Circuit, Dirty Pretty Things and Eastern Promises, and also directed as well as written the films Locke and Hummingbird (a.k.a. Redemption). Knight is also one of three creators of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, a game show that has been remade and aired in around 160 countries worldwide, and has written for BBC's Commercial Breakdown, The Detectives , Peaky Blinders and Taboo.

I am comparing the two because they share the same main writer/creator. Taboo was first intended to be a miniseries, and Hardy and Knight have a history of working together, including working on Peaky Blinders.

Peaky Blinders had to be delayed for Taboo to be shot. So it is not some random comparison I am making.

Season one Peaky Blinders was a slow burn but had a decent payoff towards the end, and season Tommy Shelby is still a more interesting character than season one James Delaney.

Last edited:
:lol: Comparing the two cuz of the creator makes more sense than trying to say both shows are about ambition but it's not like Knight is the sole creator. Whole series is based off Tom and his father's ideas.

That ambition focus is vague as ****. Its two different shows as far as I'm concerned.

Taboo involved revenge among other things in the first 8 eps.

Your like of one over another given one is multiple seasons in simply isn't a fair comparison.

Last edited:
:lol: Comparing the two cuz of the creator makes more sense than trying to say both shows are about ambition but it's not like Knight is the sole creator. Whole series is based off Tom and his father's ideas.

That ambition focus is vague as ****. Its two different shows as far as I'm concerned.

Your like over one over another given one is multiple seasons in simply isn't a fair comparison.

They were based on the Hardy's family ideas but Knight wrote, or co-wrote, the scripts for the entire season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taboo_(2017_TV_series)#Episodes

-I guess we are past the "y'all just doing it cause they are British" stuff

-Peaky Blinders and Taboo are different shows but they are British period pieces where their main character's ambition drives the story. Tommy Shelby is a low level bookie that wants to control house racing markets, it seems silly on the surface, but the more you watch the more nuanced the story gets and you see where that ambition comes form.

James Delaney wants what? A monopoly on a trading business, fine, but why? The seems to be like no other deeper motivation, nothing deeper to hook me. They tell this grand tale but at the end of the day, all James Delaney wants is not want to sign a piece of paper.

-Revenge for what exactly? The revenge story seemed to be brewing regarding Delaney's pop, but it was the butler that killed him. Like what does James Delaney have to be really mad at the East India Company for? Maybe I missed it, but nothing connected with me

And I already said even if you look at only season one of Peaky Blinders, it is a better show. So I am making a one to one comparison.

This show has potential, but it has it problems imo

Last edited:

Your like over one over another given one is multiple seasons in simply isn't a fair comparison.

They were based on the Hardy's family ideas but Knight wrote, or co-wrote, the scripts for the entire season.
I'm not denying that Knight wrote the eps or is a co-creator.

-I guess we are past the "y'all just doing it cause they are British" stuff
I replied that way cuz of how your post read. We talking about Taboo. I reply to you saying the story was meaningless and asking what the conflict was and then you say you used the wrong words and then come with it's not griping and its a show about ambition and Peaky Blinders did it better.

Like I said before if ppl are just not in to it, say that. The PB mention though....

So I'm over here like what the ****? Peaky Blinders aint **** like the first 8 eps of Taboo. You used one common theme both shows have in varying degrees to bring up why you liked another show more. Nevermind how many seasons PB is in so how clouded and possibly bias that opinion is or might be but they got the same creators so I guess that's enough.

-Peaky Blinders and Taboo are different shows but they are British period pieces where their main character's ambition drives the story. Tommy Shelby is a low level bookie that wants to control house racing markets, it seems silly on the surface, but the more you watch the more nuanced the story gets and you see where that ambition comes form.

James Delaney wants what? A monopoly on a trading business, fine, but why? The seems to be like no other deeper motivation, nothing deeper to grip you. They tell this grand tale but at the end of the day, all James Delaney wants is not want to sign a piece of paper.
You kind of explain yourself here why you jumped the gun on arguing from the stance that Taboo is a show about ambition, namely James Delaney ambitions.

If anything in this series so far I've seen a much stronger desire from James to reconnect with his dead mother than ambition to control all the tea in China. That plot point seems mainly about ******* with Sir Stuart and his issues dating back to his service in the EITC. And the thing with his mother is just one element I see as a driving force/find intriguing.

But hey I'm pretty sure if I wanted I could take a theme from Burnt and compare it to the same theme in Locke and say one did one better than the other, like guys dealing with problems at work or sabotage (a.k.a dealing with adversity) cuz you know Knight was the screenwriter of both.

-Revenge for what exactly? The revenge story seemed to be brewing regarding Delaney's pop, but it was the butler that killed him.
Nah, defintely nothing with who killed his dad. From watching the series it's pretty clear James disliked if not hated his father :lol:

Like what does James Delaney have to be really mad at the East India Company for? Maybe I missed it, but nothing connected with me
I was talking about revenge on Sir Stuart given he is/was the face of all those deeds with the shady business moves the EITC was making when James served under him. It was touched on frequently and alluded to without going in to the exact details of his entire time there. At the very least the common/poor man taking down the bourgeoisie is apparent in their conflict. The first meeting with James and Sir Stuart encompassed that.

And I already said even if you look at only season one of Peaky Blinders, it is a better show. So I am making a one to one comparison.
You said this after the fact but I'll take your word for it.

You yourself comment on the slow burn of PB and clearly that's not at all comparable to s1 of Taboo.

I have no interest in comparing the two though. Its honestly two different approaches and one similar theme in the two doesn't make that the main theme in Taboo.

This show has potential, but it has it problems imo
200w.gif

We got time....

giphy.gif

Last edited:
^^^ Points taken famb :smokin

If I were to give this show a break, I must admit I am biased because I thought it was going to be a miniseries so that everything is fleshed out in 8 episodes.

But I guess if this has into a series, then I should cut it some slack because it did a decent job of building a foundation to build on.

-But I still hope they will allow Hardy too show off more of his acting range.

I will say/admit I'm not blind to what the show is lacking and some complaints I've read.

The James character lacks a certain amount of protagonist/main character depth that seems (I have to assume) on purpose and they go along making up for it with gravitas and a clever sequence of events.

I just naturally assume all of that will be addressed given the finale. They killed off lots of characters one could assume would be long time foes and wrapped up the immediate conflict with not many repercussions.

I expect sameness but a different tactic in approach cuz to me everything about the end begs the question of what's next? Yeah he'll try to corner the market, deal with American agents, maybe British spies, address the stuff with his mother but it's like how will he potentially deal with the Chinese? Natives? Slavery in America? It opens up a new world where the way things went down in England in s1 won't be possible in a country on their manifest destiny grind.

Last edited:
Looking back at it,,, I think TABOO would have worked better as a straight up movie. Trim the fat and we could have had a decent period piece.

Tom Hardy is truly a gem of an actor. And dude is only like 5'9 or something crazy like that

Show had me until the finale, which is kinda a compliment. Unlike westworld, which slowly got more and more convoluted until the disappointing finale

Back
Top Bottom