FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

Yeah I actually started making it on Sunday but quickly came to the realization that my stomach wasn’t gonna allow me to eat it, so I put it in the fridge and saved it for today since my girlfriend was off.

Exceeded my expectations. Definitely gonna be making it again.

No disrespect but can you share the recipe that you used?

No disrespect but can you share the recipe that you used?
I’m gonna put my extreme disrespect to the side to inform you of what I did:

1. In a braising pan or a Dutch oven, throw some pancetta in cold and put the heat on medium. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon when rendered and crispy.

2. Season bone-in chicken thighs and put into pan skin-side down in rendered pancetta fat on high heat. Brown both sides, then transfer onto a plate.

3. Bring the heat back down to medium and drain any excessive fat, leaving enough to sautee onions, garlic, mushrooms, and carrots. Cook until onions are approaching caramelized and the mushrooms have shrunk by about 25%. In the meantime whip up a loose roux/slurry of butter and flour in a separate sauce pan.

4. Add roux and tomato paste and stir until the flour is cooked out. At this point you should have a dark fondt on the bottom of your pan. De-glaze with 2 oz. of cognac and cook the alcohol off. Then add 1/2 bottle of merlot or any dry red wine. Crank the heat and reduce by half.

5. When reduced by half, add the chicken and pancetta back in the pan and add chicken stock so the chicken is submerged with a 1/2 inch exposed. Throw in a few sprigs of fresh thyme and a bay leaf at this point. I also added a few dashes of balsamic vinegar and a spoon of sugar, but that’s optional. Bring to a simmer and transfer into into a 350 degree oven uncovered until finished or done (60-90 minutes), basting intermittenty.

6. Once fork-tender, remove from oven, plate the meat, but strain the veg from the sauce. I like to put the sauce on ice to get all of the fat congealed quickly so I can take it off in one block (the sauce will be obscenely greasy if you don’t find a way to remove the fat). I then transfer the sauce back into a pan and reduce if I want it thicker.

7. Serve with crispy breads, egg noodles, or mashed potatoes. Garnish with pearl onions browned in butter, if desired.

Hope this is satisfactory.

Last edited:
53DF0916-D749-46B3-95F3-95EB96A04D90.jpeg

C6A88A45-2ED6-4240-AA5C-EAD584AC22A1.jpeg

67CF8C0E-CFA2-4805-B084-2D41A8CBE26D.jpeg

La Cabina in Shibuya, Tokyo.

This taco spot has been featured a few times in taco documentaries so I wanted to check it out.

The fish and al pastor were good, but nothing you can’t find back home.

Their lengua is another story though. Easily the best lengua I’ve had.

Last edited:
DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican had some time between calls so here is what i did

@chucktwnsfinest so this is the pan i used and that helps give you that crust. highly recommend using this or a cast iron type of pan. it really is a must.

1592239897692.png

here's a recap of what i did:

1) oil up that pan with some olive oil and rub it around to coat the bottom and a bit on the edges
2) get some of that oil on your hands and get your dough in the pan and start to spread it out and shape it. just need to do this a little bit, don't worry about getting it to the edges or to a perfect rectangle yet. just getting it flattened out a bit and spread. cover the pan with plastic wrap and set let it sit out on the counter for 2 hours or so. this will let the dough rise and proof a bit and make it easier to stretch and get it right up on the edges of the pan
3) make or get your sauce going. i think the best pizza sauce is pretty basic...can of san marzano tomatoes, olive oil, salt, crushed red pepper, and garlic. keep the sauce simple IMO. but feel free to use your favorite or whatever recipe you really enjoy
4) for the cheese, you're supposed to use wisconsin brick cheese, but that's hard to get outside of the midwest. i used mozzarella and colby jack. it's important to buy the blocks of these rather than pre shredded because you want to cube them into quarter inch cubes for this style
5) after two hours of letting the dough sit, spread it out the edges of the pan. then get your cheese on it and make sure it's ALL THE WAY TO THE EDGE of the pan. this is what'll give you that crust and it melts down and caramelizes over the edges
6) throw on your sauce. you're supposed to do the 3 racing stripes if you're making a true detroit style, but honestly do whatever you prefer. as long as it goes on top of the cheese
7) i put the pepperonis on top of the sauce, but some people put them under the cheese. again, your call there. my goal was to get the pepperonis to crisp up and cup, but i cut them too thick. mine in the picture below are too thick so i would cut them thinner.
8 ) bake at 500-550 (however high your oven goes). this thing will be done in 15-20 minutes. it cooks fast. also, i used a pizza stone on the lowest rack in my oven and let that preheat for 30 minutes before putting the pizza in
9) once it's done, let it cool in the pan for 5 minutes or so. then let it cool on a cooling rack for another 3-5 before you slide it on to a tray or cutting board to cut. it's gonna be super hot and the cheese needs to cool before you cut or itll all just slide off

IMG_1500.jpeg

IMG_1502.jpeg

IMG_1503.jpeg

also, here is a vid i watched to just give me some pointers that i used abvoe. i didn't follow this 100%, but it helped to give me some guidance:

👀 para bellum para bellum

Anyone ever made dough for a pizza? Any recommended videos/recipes?
I tried and it was a fail :lol:

You also have to proof the dough, which can take up to 24 hours.

If you live near a Gelson's with a Wolfgang Puck inside, you can buy individual dough balls for a medium/large size pizza. You really can't make a better pizza at home.

Anyone ever made dough for a pizza? Any recommended videos/recipes?

I'd recommend downloading the PizzApp. Useful tool for computing ratios of ingredients based on time, temp, amount of dough, etc.

You can make same day dough and you might want to start out that way but 24-48 dough will usually taste better

FF25567C-DAC4-48B7-9D91-45DD9A050D9D.jpeg

BA0E47B7-0392-4C85-A5BF-E5DACC953D83.jpeg

SOBA HOUSE 金色不如帰

Best ramen I ever had. Came 30 min early and I still had to wait an hour to get in. The line was insane. By the time I was done eating and came out, the line went down the block.

I got the shio ramen, which is what they’re known for. They also have shoyu which I have heard was also a great.

Back
Top Bottom