FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

Whats the best spots to eat at in Chicago? Me and my girl going to go for her bday in September and I want to make a list before I go. Only restaurant I have so far on my list is Jollibee and I already had that in NY two years ago, a second time last year in NY again and in VA earlier this year.

I’d cop a pair of the fried onion smashburger Vans:
252138E6-9A79-415E-BBBE-A8CEF8398217.png

Whats the best spots to eat at in Chicago? Me and my girl going to go for her bday in September and I want to make a list before I go. Only restaurant I have so far on my list is Jollibee and I already had that in NY two years ago, a second time last year in NY again and in VA earlier this year.
Feel like you'd be "wasting" a good meal in a great food city by going to a chain like Jolly Bees.

Here's the places I hit when I was there last-
Burgers @ Au Cheval or Small Cheval
Wings @ Birds Nest
Deep Dish @ Lou Malnati's or Pequods
Chinese @ Duck Duck Goat
Small Plates @ Girl & The Goat
Chicken Sandwiches and Beer @ Parson's Chicken and Fish

I think 23soles 23soles and some others live there though and can provide much better insight.

Feel like you'd be "wasting" a good meal in a great food city by going to a chain like Jolly Bees.

Here's the places I hit when I was there last-
Burgers @ Au Cheval or Small Cheval
Wings @ Birds Nest
Deep Dish @ Lou Malnati's or Pequods
Chinese @ Duck Duck Goat
Small Plates @ Girl & The Goat
Chicken Sandwiches and Beer @ Parson's Chicken and Fish

I think 23soles 23soles and some others live there though and can provide much better insight.
Appreciate that, I usually put her in charge of where to eat cause I’m not that picky on what to eat. Since she’s asian she goes straight for boba tea, sushi and asian type of places. That Au Chevel spot looks like a definite move

Quintessential Chicago Spots

Lou Malnati's - for Deep Dish Pizza
Al's Italian Beef - for a Chicago Italian Beef Sandwich
Portillos - for a Chicago Dog
Superdawg Drive-In - for a Chicago Dog (Northside)
Kumas Corner - for a Burger
Fatso's Last Stand - for a Smash Burger
Billy Goat Tavern - for a Historic Burger
Wildberry Pancakes and Cafe - Breakfast & Desert
Jolliebee - for Diarrhea

Last edited:
Appreciate that, I usually put her in charge of where to eat cause I’m not that picky on what to eat. Since she’s asian she goes straight for boba tea, sushi and asian type of places. That Au Chevel spot looks like a definite move

Momotaro for sushi
Triple Happiness in Uptown for dry noodles
Cai in Chinatown for dim sum. If they're closed, then Ming Hin or Phoenix will do.
Triple Crown for Chinese seafood dishes, also in Chinatown.
Walk around Chinatown and you'll see a plethora of boba tea spots.
Fat Rice for Macau cuisine (this place is fire!)

Au Cheval is definitely the move, their burger and bone marrow appetizer are amazing.
Lou Malnatis or Vito and Nicks for pizza.
Crisp for wings.
Longman and Eagle or Lula Cafe in Logan Square for New American cuisine. L&E has a nice whiskey/bourbon selection.
Birreria Reyes in Little Village for bomb birria tacos.
Carnitas Uruapan in Pilsen for the best carnitas in town.
Smoque for some nice BBQ (brisket and peach cobbler are recommended)

boldnewbflakes boldnewbflakes

Endless
- Crab Cellar - in the basement of Oyster Bah in Lincoln Park. Unlimited king crab, prime burgers, lobster, and beer. Literally destroyed my body the times I’ve gone. It’s awesome! You have to reserve via Tock and pay up front though. Look it up. It won’t disappoint.
- Sushi tokoro - BYOB AYCE sushi

Burgers
- Au Cheval
- Acadia (bar area)
- Mott St.

Steak Houses
- GT Prime
- Steak 48
- Maple and Ash
- Chicago cut
- Benny’s ChopHouse

Pizza
- Lou Malnatis - go to the one in Gold Coast
- Gino’s East
- Uno/Due
- Giordano’s
- Piece (non deep-dish option, new haven style in Wicker Park with their own brewery)

Wings
- Crisp - best Korean fried chicken
- Birds Nest - Hole in the wall in Lincoln Park with arguably the best buffalo wings

Date Night
- Girl and the Goat
- Duck Duck Goat
- Bistro Campagne
- GT Oyster Bar
- Monteverde - hands down best Italian
-Momotaro

remember to check hours and seating arrangement/make reservations as Chicago is still not fully open and will likely be shutting back down again soon.

Have fun, bro!

Last edited:
Fried

Sandwich

It was like eating a crab shaped breading item.

Then the subtle crackling of the crab shell.

I'm good.

I wasn't expecting much though
i wouldn't write it off just yet.
i actually had a soft shell crab poboy today too from a cajun restaurant but i love em.
you should try it from a chinese restaurant. imo it's the best iteration.

salt and pepper soft shell crab. much more flavorful and they have that tangy sauce to dip it in.
1595902804309.png

Back
Top Bottom