First time watcher: The Wire (Wrapping up Season 3).

Originally Posted by Maximus Meridius

Originally Posted by Mitchellicious

Originally Posted by Ruxxx

*raises hand*

Question (which will be placed in a spoiler)...

Spoiler [+]
Alright so those of us who've watched the series in it's entirety know that Stringer got TOOK playing those "away games" (trying to be a "businessman" when he had no damn business doing that
laugh.gif
)... and at the end when Marlo was pretty much forced to go legit he began to talk that "businessman" @+!@... my question is this... even though the series ended and we didn't get a definitive answer... is Marlo going to get took the same way Stringer did?
nerd.gif

Spoiler [+]
By who though? There was really no one left a the end of the series to take Marlo out. Obviously there would've been other people out there gunning for his head from other gangs and what not, but all of the main characters in the story were either dead or in jail at that point.

Spoiler [+]
I kept thinking Mike was gonna kill him at the end

Spoiler [+]
pimp.gif
That would have been sweet.I HATED Marlo.

Spoiler [+]
Irony.

Although Marlo didn't die or go to prison.. he still died in a metaphorical way. He isn't remembered. His name doesn't hold any weight in the streets. "My name is my name" yet nobody remembers his name. In a way, he was better off dead or in prison.

On the other end, Omar dies but his myth, his name lives on.

Originally Posted by xblaze23

Spoiler [+]
Irony.

Although Marlo didn't die or go to prison.. he still died in a metaphorical way. He isn't remembered. His name doesn't hold any weight in the streets. "My name is my name" yet nobody remembers his name. In a way, he was better off dead or in prison.

On the other end, Omar dies but his myth, his name lives on.
Never felt Omar's name lived on...He was quickly replaced by Mike. The never ending cycle

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

There doesn't need to be resolution for Marlo's character because we've already seen what will happen to him. He will end up either in jail or dead. The story proved that it's a ruthless, endless cycle full of inevitability.

QFT its just gonna keep going and going hypothetically the new guys takin over will eventually get replaced by even newer characters

Originally Posted by Shorty Doo Wop

There doesn't need to be resolution for Marlo's character because we've already seen what will happen to him. He will end up either in jail or dead. The story proved that it's a ruthless, endless cycle full of inevitability.

QFT its just gonna keep going and going hypothetically the new guys takin over will eventually get replaced by even newer characters

Well got dambit bring on Season 6!

Originally Posted by Shorty Doo Wop

like degrassi

Originally Posted by AckDaQuick

Here's how you have to define the two "best" seasons:

Season 4 was the best season, in terms of writing, acting, pacing, stories, etc.
Season 2 was the most important season. It's what ties everything together. You just don't know it at the time.

And once you're done with the whole series, you'll have that wee-Bey "oh, snap!" look
So besides the streets, why was season 2 the most important as far as education, media, politics, ect. as shown in the show??!??
That's all secondary to the overarching plot. The show kept hammering home how the rampant drug trade was dictating the lives and decisions of everyone, from families in the war zone, all the way to how government dealt with the problem.

Take the education story line for example: Drugs destroy families, and kids in those families are likely to drop out of school and run with the wrong crowd (Dukie becomes a junkie, Mike latches onto Chris and Snoop, Randy ends up in a group home, Naymond gets saved because daddy wised up in the joint). The point of the 4th season was to show that yes, there are a lack of resources in the public education system, but to blame the education system is a cop-out. They specifically showed the home lives of all those characters to essentially absolve the education system of its responsibility. You can't blame the public schools for Dukie becoming an addict. You blame the non-existent parents. Why? Drugs. And to completely understand it, you have to know where it all comes from. They establish it in Season 2, and they revisit it throughout the rest of the show. It's an unknown and unstoppable force, with major players in all sorts of positions, that no city government is equipped to handle.

I don't agree that the consequences of the drug trade was the overarching theme of this show.

David Simon has repeatedly said this series heavily drew influence from Greek tragedies. He has specifically said that he constantly read the play Antigone while filming The Wire. This show is about the modern American city and the overbearing influence of institutions on the individual. It's about fate and decline. It's about the inherent faults in man-made institutions. The drug trade is just a part of it. The docks, the police department, the school system, political office, the newsroom, etc. are all institutions that weigh upon the individual. 

This show tells you why problems exist. Institutions run up against each other, marginalizing the individual. 

Read this http://www.believermag.com/issues/200708/?read=interview_simon and watch this  .

In Simon's own words:

We’re stealing instead from an earlier, less-traveled construct—the Greeks—lifting our thematic stance wholesale from Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides to create doomed and fated protagonists who confront a rigged game and their own mortality. The modern mind—particularly those of us in the West—finds such fatalism ancient and discomfiting, I think. We are a pretty self-actualized, self-worshipping crowd of postmoderns and the idea that for all of our wherewithal and discretionary income and leisure, we’re still fated by indifferent gods, feels to us antiquated and superstitious. We don’t accept our gods on such terms anymore; by and large, with the exception of the fundamentalists among us, we don’t even grant Yahweh himself that kind of unbridled, interventionist authority.

But instead of the old gods, The Wire is a Greek tragedy in which the postmodern institutions are the Olympian forces. It’s the police department, or the drug economy, or the political structures, or the school administration, or the macroeconomic forces that are throwing the lightning bolts and hitting people in the @%$ for no decent reason. In much of television, and in a good deal of our stage drama, individuals are often portrayed as rising above institutions to achieve catharsis. In this drama, the institutions always prove larger, and those characters with hubris enough to challenge the postmodern construct of American empire are invariably mocked, marginalized, or crushed. Greek tragedy for the new millennium, so to speak. Because so much of television is about providing catharsis and redemption and the triumph of character, a drama in which postmodern institutions trump individuality and morality and justice seems different in some ways, I think. 

It's not at all about drugs. 

ive been wondering...were String and Avon partners? or was String the #2 of the organization?

Originally Posted by solarius49

ive been wondering...were String and Avon partners? or was String the #2 of the organization?

Bro are you serious? Barksdale organization. String was in the #2/consigliere role.

Naw i feel you, but he had ALOT of say, and it seemed like the money situation was pretty much 50/50 with them. I feel like it was referred to as the Barksdale Organization, because Avon was more feared in the streets

Here's how you have to define the two "best" seasons:

Season 4 was the best season, in terms of writing, acting, pacing, stories, etc.
Season 2 was the most important season. It's what ties everything together. You just don't know it at the time.

And once you're done with the whole series, you'll have that wee-Bey "oh, snap!" look
I agree with this 100% People really don't understand the impact of Season 2 maybe because its not the most "exciting" season but I do agree its the most important. The Wire couldn't be the Wire as amazing as it is from beginning to end without Season 2. The Wire is simply a brilliant complete show! ]

And those thinking the theme of the show is drugs just don't get it. SMH

truth, the theme of the show is LIFE! it just so happens that drugs is the connecting thread between so many people

Figured id just bump this instead of making a new thread but I was in a very interesting situation of that I saw Season 4 when It first came on but I missed the ending. Then Sometime last year I watched season 4 in its entirety and after I watched season 5. (Someone Let me Borrow the Dvds). Now finally I have hbo again and after finding out about hbo I finally got to see seasons 1-3. I must say overall the series had to be one of the best shows ive ever watched. 1-3 made so many things make sense and I got to see Avon and Stringer in action. I got to finally see what "Where's Wallace" was all about, and the infamous Weebay Gif in action 
roll.gif

My season rankings would have go:
1. Season 4 (Brilliant)
2. Season 1 (Also very Brilliant)
3. Season 3
4. Season 5
5. Season 2

Dont get me wrong, I see how important season 2 was and It was enjoyable but I think it just moved a little slower than the others. Just my opinion of course.

Forever the G.O.A.T. show.

I watched it all last summer and still think about the show.

Would love to watch it again.

I'm only up to the end of season 3 but,
I think a theme in the wire is that know one can be trusted.
McNulty first gets into trouble because of his talks with the judge, Rawls couldn't trust him.

McNulty repeatedly goes behind people's backs,for example daniels.

McNulty gets a divorce for cheating, broke his wife's trust.

Bunk after knowing McNulty's affair and divorce cheats on his wife.

Keima cheats breaks her girl's trust.

Wallace rats and breaks trust.

Stringer rats and kills dee, breaks trust.

Colver puts up the free zone swears they won't be arrested, when it is found out 

there is a mass arrest. Clay Davis stole, couldn't be trusted.

I'm black and I love season 2.

It makes me sick to my stomach how Frank Sobotka's downfall came from a petty thing with Pres' father in law.

Ziggy
laugh.gif
 Yet
30t6p3b.gif
 at how stupid an impulsive he was.

It showed how the blue collar workers were killed by technology and the system.

The greek was untouchable.

Back
Top Bottom