Fed up high school students take a stand in Pittsburgh

solarius49

Banned
d2b068ec4a684b141ebbe203a9f6953

A peaceful protest organized by a local organization began today with students wearing T-shirts to Wilkinsburg High School that state, “violence in school, low expectations, no opportunity, no incentives.

thats what Im saying man, i hope this gets national attention. Too many stories out here about kids doing the wrong things

Im not sure what you think the problem is, but I lived in Wilkinsburg and that place is literally living in its own depression. I know plenty of intelligent college grads who still feel as though their high school failed them

Exactly, the Wilkinsburg school system is so dilapidated and underfunded its pathetic

Originally Posted by yngSIMBA

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Yet another demonstration that doesn't address the real problem.

The real problem - We are under-funding education.. plain and simple.
Spend more on education, and everything else will improve.. FACT.
You can throw millions of dollars at these schools.

You are in school for 8 hours a day.....it's the other 10 or so that are the problem. (assume 6 for sleeping).

The real issue is and always has been the homes / community.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

You are in school for 8 hours a day.....it's the other 10 or so that are the problem. (assume 6 for sleeping).

i have a question. but do you think that if students become better educated eventually when they have their own families then they can raise them better? right? the parents problems usually stems from lack of education so if the kids become educated then when they become parents they will be better than the last generation and society would be better off

I feel it is a mix of both under-funding and the impact of where you grow up/what you do after school. I go to a school that is pretty much a wreck with disgusting facilities, lack of textbooks, lazy and unqualified teachers. The list goes on and on. I'm glad that these students took some sort of action instead of just taking it day by day until they graduate and get out.

I'm not sure how we can change what happens at home, but I know we can improve our schools by actually employing teachers that CARE and provide the materials to teach better (or we can dream
laugh.gif
). Student self-efficacy for their own education is lower when their teachers don't give a crap about them, and we can make the first step to fixing that by surrounding students with positive influences at school and show these kids that your education is important and that we WANT to see you succeed.

However...we always have those kids who just don't give a **$$
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by heatpinoyboy

I feel it is a mix of both under-funding and the impact of where you grow up/what you do after school. I go to a school that is pretty much a wreck with disgusting facilities, lack of textbooks, lazy and unqualified teachers. The list goes on and on. I'm glad that these students took some sort of action instead of just taking it day by day until they graduate and get out.

I'm not sure how we can change what happens at home, but I know we can improve our schools by actually employing teachers that CARE and provide the materials to teach better (or we can dream
laugh.gif
). Student self-efficacy for their own education is lower when their teachers don't give a crap about them, and we can make the first step to fixing that by surrounding students with positive influences at school and show these kids that your education is important and that we WANT to see you succeed.

However...we always have those kids who just don't give a **$$
ohwell.gif

Interesting enough, my friend goes to Ohio U and is in a teaching program called CARE which focuses on improving education and teaching techniques for our kids in school. We need to refocus our understanding of how students interact with the teachers. Something isnt working, and I dont think a test can be properly indicative of the reality that is plaguing our society.

Originally Posted by ElCatfisho

Originally Posted by heatpinoyboy

Interesting enough, my friend goes to Ohio U and is in a teaching program called CARE which focuses on improving education and teaching techniques for our kids in school. We need to refocus our understanding of how students interact with the teachers. Something isnt working, and I dont think a test can be properly indicative of the reality that is plaguing our society.
From freshman to senior year, nobody at our school really gave a dam about us and where we would go after high school. Sure, they would tell us things like "don't fail your class" or "don't skip class," but it all felt robotic...There was no real interest in what we do,  and I've seen many peers fall to laziness because of it. If nobody expects anything out of you, why go above and beyond?

However, I can't blame the school staff for EVERYTHING. Like I said before, lack of textbooks, unqualified teachers, and even under-staffing will lead to difficulties. For example, we have around 1400 students, and only three counselors. Each counselor taking on 400+ students at a time?! It's a huge problem, and nobody seems to care for us. Too many times have I heard, "Why try here? The teaching sucks so I might as well goof off until community college." They then proceed to goof at community college
laugh.gif

Hmm... seems like a positive message although i don't know how much good it would do, i guess it would help if they continue to get more media coverage...
am i the only that read this

FUSE—which stands for Fostering Skills for Urban Kids through Social-Emotional-Literacy Education—

and said @%+? Way to many in-between words for the name FUSE to be used imo, its a reach 

Current day education sucks and will continue to do so.  Play the game, get that stupid piece of paper that says you're "better" than others, and educate yourself.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

This.

The real issue is indeed the community. Communities as a whole need to be educated about the VALUE of education! Sure you may be a child who wants a better education but if you go home and your immediate family along with the rest of your community doesn't value education then things are very tough.

Education does need to be reformed in this country but just throwing more dollars at education is like putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound (ain't gonna help much).

A major part of the problem is what has happened to schools in the past decade as a result of No Child Left Behind - no student or parent is going to be satisfied when schools are required to teach for state or federally mandated tests as opposed to shaping these youngsters in to future productive members of society..

Like Mark Twain once said, "I never let schooling get in the way of my education."

Respect to these kids
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom