FCC Dismantling Net Neutrality Rules vol. **** AJIT PAI

I feel we go through this year after year dont we not?

Would really like to see big companies such as google, facebook, netflix etc take a stand and be louder about this.

Didn't the last time this happen reddit, amongst some other websites block their own sites in able to get the word about net neutrality?

The backlash will be so bad if this happened. I don’t think they know what they’re getting themselves into.

In a sense this would be bad for all websites with traffic down.

Why would you pay more to shop online?

Comcast hints at plan for paid fast lanes after net neutrality repeal

For years, Comcast has been promising that it won't violate the principles of net neutrality, regardless of whether the government imposes any net neutrality rules. That meant that Comcast wouldn't block or throttle lawful Internet traffic and that it wouldn't create fast lanes in order to collect tolls from Web companies that want priority access over the Comcast network.

This was one of the ways in which Comcast argued that the Federal Communications Commission should not reclassify broadband providers as common carriers, a designation that forces ISPs to treat customers fairly in other ways. The Title II common carrier classification that makes net neutrality rules enforceable isn't necessary because ISPs won't violate net neutrality principles anyway, Comcast and other ISPs have claimed.

But with Republican Ajit Pai now in charge at the Federal Communications Commission, Comcast's stance has changed. While the company still says it won't block or throttle Internet content, it has dropped its promise about not instituting paid prioritization.

Instead, Comcast now vaguely says that it won't "discriminate against lawful content" or impose "anti-competitive paid prioritization." The change in wording suggests that Comcast may offer paid fast lanes to websites or other online services, such as video streaming providers, after Pai's FCC eliminates the net neutrality rules next month.

ytvor8.gif

Can’t believe this isn’t getting more attention. This is a BIG ******* deal that will negatively impact so many everyday people.

That Pai guy needs a swift throat punch and a kick in the balls. Dude is the definition of douche bag.

Doesn't Comcast already have different speed tiers? As long as these companies state what they want to do, who they want to block , and the price structure, this is the future. Instead of subscription websites from the content providers, they will partner with ISPs. It's a natural progression sadly. I feel if all this goes through, it just expedites the process by 10-15 years.

Besides texting “resist” to 50409, what sites are you guys using to message a senator? I was going to use one that I saw a linked on Instagram, but they wanted me to include my address, and I didn’t feel comfortable using that site.

Besides, anytime I text that number, I get a message saying the bot can’t handle all the people texting it, and it asks for more money.

The FCC's Ajit Pai now openly mocking net neutrality protesters with his dumb new video
gburt6bnqobqdb3oljnp.png

https://www.avclub.com/the-fccs-ajit-pai-now-openly-mocking-net-neutrality-pro-1821278546

We’re getting closer and closer to a crisis point on net neutrality, as current FCC chairman Ajit Pai wages a minor internet culture war to convince people to support his plans for a “free internet”—i.e., one where Obama-era protections don’t exist to stop service providers from charging different amounts of money to stream different kinds of content. Having already tussled with Ron Swanson, Pai has now resorted to a time-honored internet tradition: openly mocking his critics, via a video he recently uploaded at conservative site The Daily Caller, in which he pantomimes “all the things” we’ll still be able to do after he guts these regulations for sport.

<iframe src='https://players.brightcove.net/5107476400001/B1xUkhW8i_default/index.html?videoId=5679451217001' allowfullscreen frameborder=0></iframe>

As a way to convince people to get aboard his plan, it’s abysmal—no one’s arguing that we won’t be able to “’gram food” or watch Game Of Thrones when net neutrality passes; just that we’ll be at the whims of our already quasi-monopolistic ISPs when it comes to how much we’ll pay to do it (and how fast it’ll be when we do). But as a bit of textbook “smug ******* gloating,” it’s straight out of the playbook of his boss, Donald Trump, as we’re forced to watch this goofy jackass twist a fidget spinner and do the ******* Harlem Shake, even as he plots to strip protections from the most important technological advance of the modern era.

Posted this in the Political Thread yesterday but it belongs here as well:
NY Attorney General Schneiderman is looking into the millions of fake net neutrality comments on the FCC's website. Tens of thousands of New Yorkers' identities were falsely used to post comments on the FCC's website. In light of this investigation the AG's office requested cooperation from the FCC to grant them access to IP logs to uncover more information about the fake comments.
The FCC refused to comply with this request, prompting another letter in protest from the AG's office.
https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/ltr_to_fcc_gen_counsel_re_records_request.pdf

Doesn't Comcast already have different speed tiers? As long as these companies state what they want to do, who they want to block , and the price structure, this is the future. Instead of subscription websites from the content providers, they will partner with ISPs. It's a natural progression sadly. I feel if all this goes through, it just expedites the process by 10-15 years.
even though they have different speed tiers, each tier treats all traffic equally with net neutrality. without net neutrality you're paying for access to individual sites or app usage. look at what's happening in other countries, you pick packages based on the apps or sites you want to have access to. just because something is a natural progression, doesn't mean it has to progress to that. can't have a defeatist attitude when it's simply a greedy attempt by politicians to get more kickbacks.

It irks me this isn't getting as much attention as it should.
Google, facebook, youtube, apple, and all the big names are staying so quiet :smh:

So when will the decision be made? I really hope this doesn't pass, even though everyone says it will.

Back
Top Bottom