F1 Official Thread - Grand Prix of Britain

Rosberg sounding like good #2 driver material here... employee first. Taking notes, Ferrari? :lol: :nerd:

Mixed feelings for Rosberg after fourth-place finish
24 Mar 2013

Nico Rosberg admitted to mixed feelings after finishing a close fourth behind Mercedes team mate Lewis Hamilton. The German repeatedly radioed his team to ask for permission to pass Hamilton in the latter stages of the race, but was told to hold position - something he dutifully did, allowing the Briton to pick-up Mercedes' first podium finish of the season.

“To be honest, (my feelings) are a bit mixed,” he said. “On one hand I am very pleased to say that the car is working really well and that we have been able to fight right at the front where the Red Bulls are, which is a big change from yesterday’s performance. So I have to give a big thank you to everyone in the factory who gave us a very big step forward over the wintertime. It really felt amazing seeing the leaders of the race right in front of you.

“But then I’m also a bit disappointed as I would have liked to have pushed until the end having felt very comfortable out there and having a lot more pace than my team mate. But in the end it is okay as I am a Mercedes employee and - looking at the big picture - it is important to push forward as a team, having had some tough years in the past.

“If I were in front the decision would have been exactly the same: to hold position. This is an absolutely normal decision to do. If you think about it in a logical way, it makes sense to not risk too much anymore at that stage of the race, remembering the past years as well. Today was a very important day for the team, which has clearly marked a milestone. There are another 17 races to come, to which I am looking forward.”

Hamilton admitted that Rosberg would have been more worthy of a podium finish, commenting: "I have to say big congratulations to Nico. He drove a smarter and more controlled race than me this afternoon and deserved to finish where I did. The team made the call for us to hold positions and we both respected that."

In three weeks' time the Formula One fraternity will converge on Shanghai for the Chinese round, a race that Rosberg won in 2012.

“Bearing in mind that we had such a good result last year, we can be very optimistic,” added Rosberg.

Last edited:
Guess I was right. :\

Ferrari explain their decision not to call Fernando Alonso for repairs at Sepang
Spaniard crashed out of Malaysian GP at start of second lap
By Pete Gill. Last Updated: March 24, 2013 1:15pm

Ferrari have confirmed it was their decision not to pit Fernando Alonso before he crashed out of the Malaysian GP due to damage on his Ferrari.

After hitting the back of Sebastian Vettel's Red Bull at the second corner of the race, Alonso's car suffered substantial front-wing damage. However, despite the McLaren team even warning Jenson Button that Alonso was liable to lose control of his stricken car, Ferrari took the surprising decision not to call the Spaniard into the pits for repairs at the end of the first lap.

It was a decision which almost immediately backfired, with the front-wing detaching itself from the F138 and the car hurtling into the gravel trap as a result.

In a post-race press briefing, the team explained: 'On the pit wall, the thinking was to leave him out for a lap or two longer to deal with the damage, in order to change the front wing at the same time as the switch to slicks, which was imminent.'

As a result of his retirement, Alonso now trails reigning World Champion and Drivers' Championship leader Sebastian Vettel by 22 points.

Malaysian GP: Fernando Alonso certain Ferrari could have won
By Edd Straw and Kevin Turner Sunday, March 24th 2013, 13:28 GMT

Fernando Alonso believes he could have fought for victory in the Malaysian Grand Prix had it not been for the wing damage that forced him out.

Alonso nudged Sebastian Vettel's Red Bull at Turn 2 on the opening lap, damaging the Ferrari's front wing.

The team left Alonso out, waiting for the chance to change to dry tyres, but the wing failed completely at the start of lap two, putting the Spaniard out.

"Today we had a good car and I don't think we were too far from Red Bull pace in the race," said Alonso when asked by AUTOSPORT how competitive his race could have been.

"They didn't have all the aces this weekend. No one was especially quick, so I think we could really have fought for the win.

"We are still missing some pace, but we have three weeks now to work and bring some new parts. Everyone will do it, but hopefully we can taker a bigger step than the others."

Alonso does not blame the team for leaving him out and believes he was unfortunate to retire.

"It was a very, very small touch, but enough to damage the front wing a lot," he said. "It was extremely bad luck in my opinion.

"We were constantly talking on the radio on the first lap. The car was behaving more or less well in the first two sectors.

"From the television the team saw damage, but we knew on lap three or four we would switch to dry tyres and if we could make it to then we could save 20-30 seconds in the race. To stop on lap one and lap three for the tyres is a little bit too much of a penalty.

"They said I didn't have the front wing performance I should expect, but to see how the problem was going to develop on the next lap.

"Unfortunately on the back straight the front wing dropped. At that point we were five seconds before the pit entry and we didn't make it.

"Looking now, after the incident, it was the wrong decision, but I think it was extremely unlucky - a combination of things that happened today.

"It can be the wrong decision or a good decision; you never know until you see afterwards."

Malaysian GP: Ferrari takes blame for not pitting Alonso for repairs
By Jonathan Noble and Kevin Turner Sunday, March 24th 2013, 12:23 GMT

Stefano Domenicali has confirmed it was Ferrari's decision to leave Fernando Alonso's damaged car out on track in the Malaysian Grand Prix, which caused the Spaniard to crash out.

From row two, Alonso made a good start to challenge leader Sebastian Vettel, but he got too close to the Red Bull and nudged its rear at Turn 2.

Alonso continued in second, under attack from Mark Webber, until the front wing folded under the car approaching the first corner on lap two.

The Ferrari went off and Alonso was unable to get the F138 out of the gravel. The team had hoped he could continue until it was time to pit for dry tyres.

"We took a risk that didn't pay off," admitted Domenicali.

"After the touch, the race was not over and I considered the situation where there was a transition from wet to dry.

"In normal conditions you would come in, but in this transition, if you believe the wing can survive, you try and bide your time. You may have the chance to pit to change to the dry tyres and be the hero of the weekend.

"Unfortunately the wing didn't stay there."

Domenicali underlined it had been the team's decision to take the risk, not Alonso's.

"The decision was from the pitwall," he added. "Obviously Fernando can feel it in the car, but he could not see the damage from his view.

"We take the responsibility as the team. The 'kiss' [on Vettel's car] was unfortunate because we could have taken good points from this race.

"Fernando's not happy to come away with zero points, but he's positive and looking forward because he knows we have something to play with."

Last edited:
^ I'm trying to get to the bottom of that cuz I remember Ted or Martin saying the pit-crew was read, but it was Alonso who chose to stay out. Very odd.

Anyway, hmmm. 
nerd.gif

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/07/10/webber-red-bulls-order-pass-vettel/

Naturally, everyone will still back Mark as he's the #2... sympathy votes all around.

From what I've read, it was a collective decision. The car felt fine to Fernando. One unnecessary stop was definitely going to hurt their chances for a good result, I can't blame them for thinking like that. But the damage to the wing was already considerable. I was surprised Race Control let Fernando's car continue with the damage. You guys think Vettel braked earlier, too? :nerd:

Yeah, that race. Webber chose to ignore team orders back then. Oh well.

Vettel isn't the only one with "the finger" :lol:

Last edited:
Webber: Vettel will be ‘protected’ in team orders row
2013 Malaysian Grand Prix

March 24, 2013 at 10:41 am by Keith Collantine 177 comments
Mark Webber said there will be no repercussions for Sebastian Vettel after disobeyed an order not to pass him during the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Vettel was running behind Webber in the final stint of the race when he passed Webber for the lead, going on to win.

“I was controlling the race and getting everything in place really towards the back end of the race. Obviously I had to make Lewis off a little bit in the middle there.

“After the last stop obviously the team told me that the race was over and we turn the engines down and we go to the end. I want to race as well but in the end the team made a decision which we always say before the start of the race is probably how it’s going to be. We look after the tyres, get the car to the end.”

“In the end Seb made his own decisions today and will have protection as usual and that’s the way it goes.”

Christian Horner said: “I’m not quite sure what he means by that,” when asked about Webber’s remarks.

Horner confirmed the drivers had been told to hold position after the final pit stop: “For us the most important thing for us was to win this race. We’ve done that, we’ve achieved a one-two finish. We gave strict instructions to both cars after the final stop.

“Of course Mark’s going to be aggrieved by it but the instructions were clear, they were clear for all to hear, and the drivers have taken it into their own hands.”

Vettel refused to be drawn on the subject following the podium ceremony, saying: “I think obviously it’s very hot today and if there’s something to say we need to talk internally.

“For sure I think we both enjoyed that. Of course I’m standing in the middle now so I enjoyed the podium a little bit more. But I think we have plenty of time to talk about.”

Team advisor Helmut Marko said the situation “got out of control”:

“It was Christian [Horner] who said we have to look after the tyres and stay in position,” he added. “But then I don’t know how… he was immediately behind him and then there was a race and at this stage you can’t talk to race drivers.”

“The team will have a word because we have to control the drivers. It’s not like at Mercedes where it’s clear number one and number two, basically we treat the drivers the same.”

Whatever, Marko. :rolleyes

This probably wouldn't have happened with Lewis, if the deal went through.

Ecclestone reveals attempts to broker Hamilton move to Red Bull

Bernie Ecclestone has revealed that he attempted last summer to broker a move for Lewis Hamilton to form a superteam with Sebastian Vettel at Red Bull, but that it foundered on Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz’s loyalty to Mark Webber.

“Sebastian wouldn’t have cared if Lewis had signed for the team,’ Ecclestone told the Mail on Sunday. “Dietrich is a very honest, straightforward guy and told Mark the door was open for him to stay. That was good of him.”

Webber at the time was considering an offer from Ferrari to partner his friend Fernando Alonso, but in the end the Australian re-signed for Red Bull and then won the British Grand Prix.

At that point Ecclestone says that he advised Hamilton to go to Mercedes. And with his long time ally Niki Lauda gaining influence within Mercedes the deal was soon brokered, “Lewis rolled his eyes … but I told him that he had nothing to lose as he wanted out of McLaren,” Ecclestone told the Mail on Sunday.

Ecclestone has long had an influence on major driver moves as he moves the pieces on his chessboard to produce the strongest outcomes and there are many examples; from Michael Schumacher’s 1996 move to Ferrari to the continuation of Riccardo Patrese’s career after Williams with a move to Benetton for 1993, which caught Martin Brundle out after a competitive season alongside a young Schumacher.

He also played a significant role in Ferrari hiring Jean Todt, who was then motorsport boss of Peugeot, which was the beginning of the renaissance that won the team’s first world titles for over 20 years and led to a period of unprecedented domination of F1.

Ecclestone is not in Malaysia this weekend. China will be his first appearance of 2013.

Just started getting into F1.. caught most of the first 2 races. Much more entertaining than oval racing imo

Did you pick a driver to support then support their team also? or Did you pick a team to support first?

I want to pick a driver first. How often do drivers switch teams?

Its going to be fun choosing who to support over the next few races. So far my choice will be from Alonso, Vettel, Raikkonen, or Hamilton. I am leaning towards Vettel after Malaysia. I would want 1st if I was in that position lol. I dislike red bull as a product/brand but I am trying not to let that affect my decision.

cot damn! its just the second race of the season and the drama feels like its the last race championship decider :lol: :smokin

cant believe Ferrari drop the ball on FA :smh:

if i was Webber, i'll make sure to send Seb on the wall and so as Nico, i'll snatch that podium away from LH on the last corner and just say sorry later :lol:

"remember this" - Rosberg :x :smokin

^ Haha, yeah that Nico mesg was great.  I was soooo expecting Nico to pull a fast one on the last lap and jump Lewis! LOL 
tongue.gif

Just started getting into F1.. caught most of the first 2 races. Much more entertaining than oval racing imo

Did you pick a driver to support then support their team also? or Did you pick a team to support first?

I want to pick a driver first. How often do drivers switch teams?

Its going to be fun choosing who to support over the next few races. So far my choice will be from Alonso, Vettel, Raikkonen, or Hamilton. I am leaning towards Vettel after Malaysia. I would want 1st if I was in that position lol. I dislike red bull as a product/brand but I am trying not to let that affect my decision.
I don't watch Indy or Nascar, but I have a feeling that even track/circuit racing of those cars will be more entertaining than ovals. 

I treated F1 as a team-sport when I first started watching so naturally, for me, it's team-first, then driver.  I chose McLaren back in the mid-90's probably cuz I thought the cars looked cool at the time (and I still think they do!) and also felt that Ferrari was "too easy of a team to support", given their popularity at the time. Everybody knows and loves Ferrari.  No offence to Ferrari supporters. 
wink.gif

Drivers do tend to move every few years, but some have also spent many years with 1 team.  Schumacher w/ Ferrari, Hakkinen with McLaren... even Lewis spent 6 years at McLaren.  

Haha, Alonso, Vettel, Raikkonen, Hamilton are all tremendous drivers, but I will say that after today, Vettel will have lost some respect and fans, IMO.  Sure you want to win, but F1 ultimately is still a team sport and when your boss/team gives you certain instructions, you follow them.  I understand that people want to see racing, but at the same time, you have to be smart about the overall-result/picture.  Had he taken out Webber, he would have looked like the biggest fool in the world... ruining his team's chance of a 1-2 finish.  And it's happened before, several years ago in Turkey... Vettel tried to make a stupid pass and ended up taking-out both cars.

It was also a bit of a low-blow cuz the team had told Webber to turn down his engine, look after his tires and finish the race, so you can imagine his surprise when Vettel came thundering by. It wasn't even a fair race, to say the least. 

EDIT ~ Hahahhahaha... Kimi rocks.

Last edited:
Didn't realise Mark cut off Seb after the checkered flag. He came from the othe side of the track, as well. Yikes! :wow:

Here's the Webber-Vettel incident back in Turkey 2010.

Last edited:
this incident reminded me of 07 Nurburgring! the build up to the finish then to the podium, unto the presscon was epic. :lol:

^ The story behind that gif was that during the 2010 British GP, Seb had damaged his front-wing (or it failed thru no fault of his own, I don't remember) and RBR decided to take Mark's wing and give it to Seb.  Naturally, Mark was furious.  Quali ended with Seb taking P1 and Mark P2.  That gif was during the post-Quali press conference, where you can see Mark was still pissed.  He'd get the last laugh and win the GP the next day.  In his post-race radio message, he said "Not bad for a number two driver, eh?"!  It's been stuff like this that Mark has had to deal with over the years (this being one of the worse, probably), so you can understand why he was so pissed yesterday. It's probably also why many were sympathizing with him and making Seb out as the "villain".

I didn't see that post-race cut-off by Mark! 
eek.gif

But to be fair, I think the onboard made it look closer than it actually was.  

During the race, Mark also made a "squeeze" on Seb, near the pit-exit... similar to what Schumi did to Rubens a few years ago at Budapest, but not as bad, IMO. 

I'll find a vid later. 

Last edited:
^ :rofl:

If I had the PS skills, I would make a hilarious gif of Webber hitting Vettel across the head

Back
Top Bottom