F1 Official Thread - Grand Prix of Britain

Reasons being?

The chief complaint I’ve seen used to justify dropping Monaco is a lack of overtaking. That said, it’s more of a recent problem caused by the size of the cars in this recent hybrid era. The “solution” shouldn’t be to drop the race, it should be to make the cars smaller like they used to be. I’m curious to see if the recent regulation change will make for better racing this weekend because the cars are slightly smaller than they were last year.

Reasons being?

100% Money due to Monacos individual (sponsoring) rights

The talks about removing Monaco have been going on for many years. It's always just been for negotiation leverage so far. Maybe F1 is in a better position right now due to the F1 hype

edit: edited my comment due to the article below

Last edited:
Today's article from AMUS about this topic (translated from German)

"The contract with Monaco expires at the end of the year. And it might not be extended unless Monte Carlo is prepared to give up some of its special rights. F1 boss Stefano Domenicali made that clear to the organizer in a first round of negotiations.

The talks do not revolve around the entry fee, as is usually the case. Monte Carlo pays between 10 and 15 million dollars, which is significantly less than any other race. There, it starts at 25 million. But that is not the sticking point.

It's about various special rights that Monte Carlo had already wrested from Bernie Ecclestone in the distant past. And this is how it looks. Monte Carlo produces the TV pictures itself and thus determines which sponsors are shown and how often. This is just as much a thorn in the side of Formula 1 as the organizer's own paddock club. Although this also exists in Miami and Baku, it is nowhere near as large. One of the biggest problems for Liberty is the perimeter advertising for TAG Heuer. This clearly opposes series sponsor Rolex.

The final issue is that Monte Carlo has so far been unwilling to modify the track to facilitate overtaking maneuvers. The proposal to omit the chicane and widen the track up to the tobacco curve has so far been rejected. Another round of negotiations will follow. Tenor from the board level: We are not asking anything impossible from Monte Carlo. It will still be the best contract for a promoter there is. Just with fewer special rights."

Curious to see if Charles breaks the curse. I agree that it would be a shame to remove Monaco. Such an iconic track and the drivers love it despite the lack of overtaking.

Today's article from AMUS about this topic (translated from German)

"The contract with Monaco expires at the end of the year. And it might not be extended unless Monte Carlo is prepared to give up some of its special rights. F1 boss Stefano Domenicali made that clear to the organizer in a first round of negotiations.

The talks do not revolve around the entry fee, as is usually the case. Monte Carlo pays between 10 and 15 million dollars, which is significantly less than any other race. There, it starts at 25 million. But that is not the sticking point.

It's about various special rights that Monte Carlo had already wrested from Bernie Ecclestone in the distant past. And this is how it looks. Monte Carlo produces the TV pictures itself and thus determines which sponsors are shown and how often. This is just as much a thorn in the side of Formula 1 as the organizer's own paddock club. Although this also exists in Miami and Baku, it is nowhere near as large. One of the biggest problems for Liberty is the perimeter advertising for TAG Heuer. This clearly opposes series sponsor Rolex.

The final issue is that Monte Carlo has so far been unwilling to modify the track to facilitate overtaking maneuvers. The proposal to omit the chicane and widen the track up to the tobacco curve has so far been rejected. Another round of negotiations will follow. Tenor from the board level: We are not asking anything impossible from Monte Carlo. It will still be the best contract for a promoter there is. Just with fewer special rights."

The TV production really is one of the biggest gripes for me, the Monaco team always finds a way to bungle it every year. Other than that, I highly doubt it'll be off the calendar, just way too much history there, don't even mind that Sundays can be a procession

lance-stroll.gif

This might be the first rolling start I've ever seen.... didn't even realize the race started

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom