External hard drive appreciation

I was gonna pull the trigger on a 1tb external hard drive by Western Digital from Amazon during cyber monday, but wanted to do some research first.

I was gonna pull the trigger on a 1tb external hard drive by Western Digital from Amazon during cyber monday, but wanted to do some research first.

Originally Posted by HRelos

The people with the External HDD that need a power source, do you'll leave it plugged in 24/7?
Now that would just be dumb. Only when I want to backup my music or watch something on it.

Originally Posted by HRelos

The people with the External HDD that need a power source, do you'll leave it plugged in 24/7?
Now that would just be dumb. Only when I want to backup my music or watch something on it.

What about SSDs?
are they really that much faster? I'm thinking about getting one and install my OS on there

What about SSDs?
are they really that much faster? I'm thinking about getting one and install my OS on there

Originally Posted by omgitswes

What about SSDs?
they are really fast & really expensive. Choose wisely

Originally Posted by omgitswes

What about SSDs?
they are really fast & really expensive. Choose wisely

Anybody have this HD? Or bought the firewire 800/usb 2.0 adapter? 
41vQdbqBKrL._AA300_.jpg
31ZNw2OA5ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/...TF8&m=A23M3KL3V61UGY
http://www.amazon.com/gp/...UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'm planning on purchasing this drive because it is 3tb. My main concern is the crap that seagate is going to include already installed on the drive I just need a blank HD, with a huge capacity that is silent and reliable. My 2tb WD drive is great I'm either going to get another one or try this 3tb seagate.
Opinions, better 2tb-3tb drives? Much appreciated.

Anybody have this HD? Or bought the firewire 800/usb 2.0 adapter? 
41vQdbqBKrL._AA300_.jpg
31ZNw2OA5ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/...TF8&m=A23M3KL3V61UGY
http://www.amazon.com/gp/...UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'm planning on purchasing this drive because it is 3tb. My main concern is the crap that seagate is going to include already installed on the drive I just need a blank HD, with a huge capacity that is silent and reliable. My 2tb WD drive is great I'm either going to get another one or try this 3tb seagate.
Opinions, better 2tb-3tb drives? Much appreciated.

Formatting your external drive to multiple fat32 partitions to play media on your PS3 FTW.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Formatting your external drive to multiple fat32 partitions to play media on your PS3 FTW.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

If I buy an SSD just for booting purposes, whats the smallest size I should look for.

I already have tons of 1-2 TB internals on my desktop.

If I buy an SSD just for booting purposes, whats the smallest size I should look for.

I already have tons of 1-2 TB internals on my desktop.

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

somebody school me on internal hard drives....i have an external right now
mondaynightraw?...
instead of buying an external drive (which coms at a premium for it being labeled as "external") you can buy a new, larger internal drive. They are less prone to failure due to them not being exposed to the daily bumps and elements, and they are significantly cheaper per GB. eSATA is a faster mode of transfering files, so you'll be miles above the USB/Firewire bottlenecks. most laptops use 2.5" drives, while many desktops use 3.5" drives. Find out the model you need and buy accordingly. You can even use an Internal drive as an external so long as you purchase an enclosure or a hub
so I would have to open up my laptop to install it? i thought the point of an external is if you lose your laptop you'll still have your stuff wouldnt this not be the case if u had an internal u would lose eerytihing
if you want the internal inside your laptop, yes...you would have to open it up to install it. Most laptops make this a DIY job so the compartments are very easy to reach with minimal work...usually right behind the battery compartment. hard drives are not only used as backups, but also as added storage. Personally, i would rather have all my data on one drive (a large internal) and use an external for periodical backups. It beats having to worry about accessing a secondary drive everyday. as long as you take care of the secondary, your data should be fairly more secure as it's not in use every single day.
I personally have a 640gb internal in my laptop, and a 1tb portable external. Its got two partitions. I have 640gb of my external for use with time machine, and the remaining space is basically like a big flashdrive. I put extra files there or any stuff I want to transfer to my ps3/friend's computer/whatever. That way if I lose my laptop I'll have my external. (My internal drive has failed on me once before, lost about 400gbs of stuff 
indifferent.gif
)

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

somebody school me on internal hard drives....i have an external right now
mondaynightraw?...
instead of buying an external drive (which coms at a premium for it being labeled as "external") you can buy a new, larger internal drive. They are less prone to failure due to them not being exposed to the daily bumps and elements, and they are significantly cheaper per GB. eSATA is a faster mode of transfering files, so you'll be miles above the USB/Firewire bottlenecks. most laptops use 2.5" drives, while many desktops use 3.5" drives. Find out the model you need and buy accordingly. You can even use an Internal drive as an external so long as you purchase an enclosure or a hub
so I would have to open up my laptop to install it? i thought the point of an external is if you lose your laptop you'll still have your stuff wouldnt this not be the case if u had an internal u would lose eerytihing
if you want the internal inside your laptop, yes...you would have to open it up to install it. Most laptops make this a DIY job so the compartments are very easy to reach with minimal work...usually right behind the battery compartment. hard drives are not only used as backups, but also as added storage. Personally, i would rather have all my data on one drive (a large internal) and use an external for periodical backups. It beats having to worry about accessing a secondary drive everyday. as long as you take care of the secondary, your data should be fairly more secure as it's not in use every single day.
I personally have a 640gb internal in my laptop, and a 1tb portable external. Its got two partitions. I have 640gb of my external for use with time machine, and the remaining space is basically like a big flashdrive. I put extra files there or any stuff I want to transfer to my ps3/friend's computer/whatever. That way if I lose my laptop I'll have my external. (My internal drive has failed on me once before, lost about 400gbs of stuff 
indifferent.gif
)

I just got a new 640 GB external HD for Christmas, my last one mysteriously stopped working, it wouldn't appear (in my computer) when I plugged it in. I lost hundreds of gigs of music, movies, shows, documents, etc.

My advice to everybody is to have a back up plan to backup the back up plan to back up the back up plan

word to Big Boi

I just got a new 640 GB external HD for Christmas, my last one mysteriously stopped working, it wouldn't appear (in my computer) when I plugged it in. I lost hundreds of gigs of music, movies, shows, documents, etc.

My advice to everybody is to have a back up plan to backup the back up plan to back up the back up plan

word to Big Boi

these are much appreciated...

i have a 300 external that's cordless and a 500gb that has a power cord...

i wanna hook the 300gb up in my car to my indash screen... have movies, music and tv shows ALL on deck...

then... have the 500 gb hooked up to the computer at the crib...

these are much appreciated...

i have a 300 external that's cordless and a 500gb that has a power cord...

i wanna hook the 300gb up in my car to my indash screen... have movies, music and tv shows ALL on deck...

then... have the 500 gb hooked up to the computer at the crib...

Back
Top Bottom