====== EPIC Flyknit Series ======

Just saw this!
Oh man! I hope their options be won't as limited like the past Flyknit iDs... :nerd:

Haha, yea I don't know whether to cop the Gyakusou's on Thursday or chill for a few months and wait for the lows/ID's to drop.....

Haha, yea I don't know whether to cop the Gyakusou's on Thursday or chill for a few months and wait for the lows/ID's to drop.....
that nice huh? maybe I'm sleeping on these.. 
laugh.gif

I got purple ones.
They comes with an extra set of thicker insoles. I have flatfeet so I try out the thick ones first n see. I wear 10 in v10 but these epics feels better in 10.5. I had a pair the magista proximo tf in 10.5 before. The soccer boots rubbing against my heels n skin peels off n hurts. I returned them.
View media item 1943571

that nice huh? maybe I'm sleeping on these.. 
laugh.gif
Lol...I'm not saying these are the greatest shoe ever made. It's just nice to see Flyknit and Lunar come together again in a newly designed model that's actually runnable. I have yet to do any Lunar swaps and I sure as hell ain't running in my HTM Lunars 
laugh.gif
. I've run in Flyknit Lunar 1, 2, and 3's but these Epics absolutely blow those out of the water.  

The fact that there's a ton of colorways is a plus too (and a couple good looking, limited/exclusive CWs thrown in there never hurts either).

....and yes, I do remember I called these an #LunarFail when pictures of these first surfaced. That was before I tried them on and saw all the available colorways.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Here's an in-depth review I have. If no one wants to read anything below, CliffNotes version in 12 words: great shoe with strong cushioning, but not the right shoe for me.

Otherwise, please proceed to read my personal review below.

-------------

Took the shoe for a spin in a NRC Speed Run session. You know how some people say that as great as NYC is, it isn't for everyone? Well... apply that saying here for me. Remember though, this is MY personal and honest preference and review. Let me spill out the details of the shoe first.

I got a 1/2 size bigger which fits me perfectly, and I chose to swap for the thicker insoles that it came with. The cushioning is actually one of the top-notch Lunarlon-cushioned shoes I've seen thus far. I haven't tried on the Lunartempos nor the Lunaracers before, so unfortunately I cannot compare it to those. The closest thing I can compare the cushioning to is the LunarGlide 6. The transition is really smooth and feels excellent. The Flyknit upper does a great job and it really doesn't feel as restrictive neither as everyone else is saying. Additionally, having that with the ankle collar provides a great fit, and yes, the ankle collar does "virtually vanish" unless you apply the "Don't think about elephants" concept, if you guys know what I mean. The traction is pretty damn good, too, I must admit. Those individual siping rings on that outsole provides one hell of a grip to the surface, and because they're NOT a waffle pattern, multi-directional movements are welcome.

Everything sounds great, yes. Why don't I like them? Well, here's why.

Referring back to the "NYC" saying, the LunarEpic Flyknit is a great shoe, but it just simply has too much cushion for me. Someone mentioned earlier that he had to put in a bit more leg work in comparison to the Zoom Pegasus 32, and I can co-sign on that big time. I ended up having to put in more effort and I felt it pretty quick, about four or five laps in, two of those laps just being a warmup. My rotation involves either the Pegasus 31 or the Pegasus 32 Flash/Mesh. The responsiveness in the cushlon/Zoom Air system helps me more for someone who prefers speed over distance. To be able to push off the toes quicker with a lesser amount of effort and stay moving fast, that is the preferred option for me.

I don't know if I'll be giving these a try again for another run although it MAY not hurt. I may look into trying it out again under a different situation, like a run on the road or something. I can perhaps swap out for the thinner insole, and the socks I had on could've been a factor as well that I would need to adjust for the next trial. Either way, great shoe with lots of cushioning and a bit of style as well; just not for me.

I should mention to you guys that I am a stronger supporter of Zoom Air cushioning. I've given Lunar-cushioned shoes a lot of tries for their intended purposes. Lunar Hyperdunk, Kobe 8, Lunar Eclipse 2, LeBron 11 (that whole Zoom Air + Lunarlon combo was way too much for me) and maybe one or two other ones I can't remember... They just never worked out that well for me.

Last edited:
speaking of Zoom Air cushioning but has Nike tried unlocked zoom on running shoes yet?

Did anyone who placed phone order for Nike Labs from 21 Mercer get any type of email with tracking? It's Wednesday and I haven't received anything.

Did anyone who placed phone order for Nike Labs from 21 Mercer get any type of email with tracking? It's Wednesday and I haven't received anything.
I got my tracking Monday morning. its scheduled to be here Friday!

I think I lucked out. My call was passed around a few times but the girl I ended up talking to was really nice. She seemed to have place my order right when I was on the phone.

Last edited:
Ran in my midnight pack pair again today. Went 10 miles on mostly road with a good amount of hills. Same issues continue, biggest one being my big toe hitting the front of the toe box, especially on downhills. Also started to get the beginnings of a blister on my big toe from likely trying to compensate for the sliding. As others have said, lateral stability is a bit of an issue for this shoe. Rounding corners, uneven surfaces, and even just normal road camber are all more noticeable when you're wearing these. Would like to try a half size up in these to prevent my toes from hitting the front, but I fear that my narrow foot would slide around even more. It's disappointing because I really want to like this shoe, but I'm afraid it's just won't work for me. If you have a normal width foot, I would recommend going a half size up and using the thick insoles.

My order that was processed yesterday morning went through, and I received tracking information notification later afternoon. Should be arriving Friday. Was stoked about no tax and shipping fee, straight $175.

My order that was processed yesterday morning went through, and I received tracking information notification later afternoon. Should be arriving Friday. Was stoked about no tax and shipping fee, straight $175.
Thats crazy. How'd you pull that off?

I didn't but my bank account got charged so...

Maybe she didn't write my email down correctly? Slightly concerned. I guess I'll see what happens Friday. Calling up there isn't fun at all and when they put you on hold its complete silence for 8 minutes until someone picks up the phone again wondering why there isn't a dial tone. I just want my shoes.

Same situation as you so I called them this morning and they gave me the tracking number over the phone.  

First run in these so I did 6 miles. I wore them with the thicker insoles and a pair of cushioned crew Nike running socks. I actually really like the collar on these and it serves a couple of good functions.

First, it keeps out rocks and dirt. These actually remind me a lot of the Hyperfeel trail, but the higher cut on these does a much better job keeping stuff out. While running it also helps keep the heel from slipping (as does the overall design of the sole).

As others have said, there's a lot of foam here so it makes you work a bit harder but they do make for a comfortable ride if you're doing a longer run I'd assume. I started to get a hot spot near the ball of my foot which I suspect wouldn't have happened if I had worn the thinner insoles but I won't know until I try.

Overall I'd say fans of the neutral lunar line will really like these. Personally I'm more of a zoom fan and I prefer a more responsive shoe even for long runs but these were surprisingly less spongy than I had imagined, which is great.

Not worth 175 though. I would bet these will be below 100 in a few months, so wait if you don't need a new pair ASAP.

Last edited:
Got my pair and I love the cushioning, I feel that it is also more cushioned than Ultra Boost especially with the thicker insole. One of my issues the Ultra Boosts is that the cushion from heel to toe feels like it significantly drops and after being on my feet the whole day, my forefoot starts to ache. I know both has a 10mm offset but it definitely feels like you get more forefoot cushion throughout with the LunarEpics.

Another cushioning difference I noticed between the two is that the LunarEpics feels like it cups your whole foot from, like you almost sink in and the side cradle your foot a bit while the UltraBoost while very comfortable feels like your foot is simply on top of the midsole/insole, it's just more firm. I am not sure if that explanation makes sense but I think the Lunar midsole/insole is just more pliable, almost like a Tempurpedic mattress.

LunarEpics also feels less stable than LunarTempos, not that I had much problem with LunarTempos but I feel that I could roll my ankle easier on the LunarEpics.

Haven't had the chance to run in them yet though.

Here's a pic next to the Free Superfly Mercurials, next to each other the midsole doesn't really look as thick as it looks in the pics.
View media item 1945171

Back
Top Bottom