ENVY 14/17 (Real Macbook Pro Killer)

Originally Posted by Adrian1221

whats the start up time on these windows computers now a days? Im typing from my MBP and im open minded to good quality computers. If this ENVY landed on my lap i would surely use it on specs alone. I was a former windows user but i wouldnt mind just doing both.

I have an SSD so i might not be the best person to ask this question, however, my startup time is roughly 24 Seconds from power on. The real benefit though, is that all my programs open instantly. For example, on my Thinkpad it takes about 10 about seconds for Photoshop to load. On my ENVY it loads instantly.

Originally Posted by Adrian1221

whats the start up time on these windows computers now a days? Im typing from my MBP and im open minded to good quality computers. If this ENVY landed on my lap i would surely use it on specs alone. I was a former windows user but i wouldnt mind just doing both.

I have an SSD so i might not be the best person to ask this question, however, my startup time is roughly 24 Seconds from power on. The real benefit though, is that all my programs open instantly. For example, on my Thinkpad it takes about 10 about seconds for Photoshop to load. On my ENVY it loads instantly.

The ENVY isn't what I'd call an entertainment laptop. Honestly, it's more of a workhorse type laptop. If you're into making Movies, Music, Web Design, Publishing, Engineering and CAD or Writing Software, this is a great alternative to a Mac, because it's just more powerful and cost about 33% less. The build quality on this PC is excellent, but it is HP's premire line. HP's consumer line is all about sales so I honestly don't expect much in the way of durability when it comes to their Best Buy products, but the ENVY is a premium product, so the expectations should be a bit different. I couldn't recommend anyone pay a grand for a laptop that will be used as an email and web surfing tool. Hell, get a netbook or Ultra Low Voltage laptop to do that. However, if you actually use you laptop as a design or creation studio and you need portability, the ENVY is a great laptop.

Spec Wise the ENVY 14 actually rates above the Macbook Pro 15, but it's most associated with the Macbook Pro 13 because of it's size. Given the choice of the Pro 13 or the ENVY 14, short of just loving OS X, it's not really a competition. To be blunt, the ENVY annihilates the Macbook Pro 13. The Macbook pro 15 gives the ENVY 14 a run for it's money, but the ENVY just has newer parts. The ENVY 14 and Macbook Pro 15 are fairly close specwise but HP operates out of a bigger parts bin, so they have processors and graphic cards that the Pro 15 can't really match. The real reason the ENVY 14 is thought of as a strong competitor to the Pro 15 though isn't the fact it's a little more powerful than the 15; it's the fact it's $600 cheaper out of the box with comparable specs.

If you're a Mac person, buy a Mac. Apple makes some nice machines even with some of the older tech inside. Most people don't use all that power anyway, so if last years processors are more than enough for you, get the laptop that you like to look at and feel cool holding. If you want to look cool and have bit more real power, get the ENVY. Who knows if this ENVY will exceed HP's past poor reputation for Build quality, but I can say that it looks like it will last me for the next 3-4 years based on how I use my computers. Honestly, in two years I'll have new laptop most likely anyway.

The ENVY isn't what I'd call an entertainment laptop. Honestly, it's more of a workhorse type laptop. If you're into making Movies, Music, Web Design, Publishing, Engineering and CAD or Writing Software, this is a great alternative to a Mac, because it's just more powerful and cost about 33% less. The build quality on this PC is excellent, but it is HP's premire line. HP's consumer line is all about sales so I honestly don't expect much in the way of durability when it comes to their Best Buy products, but the ENVY is a premium product, so the expectations should be a bit different. I couldn't recommend anyone pay a grand for a laptop that will be used as an email and web surfing tool. Hell, get a netbook or Ultra Low Voltage laptop to do that. However, if you actually use you laptop as a design or creation studio and you need portability, the ENVY is a great laptop.

Spec Wise the ENVY 14 actually rates above the Macbook Pro 15, but it's most associated with the Macbook Pro 13 because of it's size. Given the choice of the Pro 13 or the ENVY 14, short of just loving OS X, it's not really a competition. To be blunt, the ENVY annihilates the Macbook Pro 13. The Macbook pro 15 gives the ENVY 14 a run for it's money, but the ENVY just has newer parts. The ENVY 14 and Macbook Pro 15 are fairly close specwise but HP operates out of a bigger parts bin, so they have processors and graphic cards that the Pro 15 can't really match. The real reason the ENVY 14 is thought of as a strong competitor to the Pro 15 though isn't the fact it's a little more powerful than the 15; it's the fact it's $600 cheaper out of the box with comparable specs.

If you're a Mac person, buy a Mac. Apple makes some nice machines even with some of the older tech inside. Most people don't use all that power anyway, so if last years processors are more than enough for you, get the laptop that you like to look at and feel cool holding. If you want to look cool and have bit more real power, get the ENVY. Who knows if this ENVY will exceed HP's past poor reputation for Build quality, but I can say that it looks like it will last me for the next 3-4 years based on how I use my computers. Honestly, in two years I'll have new laptop most likely anyway.

Macbook = Starts up in a few seconds and runs all day with exactly zero issues. I've had to reboot zero times since initial purchase. Use Final Cut and InDesign that runs almost seamlessly with 4 GB of ram.

My previous HP= Starts up in a minute or two, was noisy, had a weak battery, generally gave me issues. Issues did not come from abuse, I've treated my laptops like I would an infant. Yes, it was with Vista.

So with that said, I can't say anything damaging about Windows 7. Really, it's not Windows that was an issue with my HP. This HP Envy line looks pretty promising, but impressive specs don't appeal to me if the engine can't handle them efficiently. The engine being HP.

Macbook = Starts up in a few seconds and runs all day with exactly zero issues. I've had to reboot zero times since initial purchase. Use Final Cut and InDesign that runs almost seamlessly with 4 GB of ram.

My previous HP= Starts up in a minute or two, was noisy, had a weak battery, generally gave me issues. Issues did not come from abuse, I've treated my laptops like I would an infant. Yes, it was with Vista.

So with that said, I can't say anything damaging about Windows 7. Really, it's not Windows that was an issue with my HP. This HP Envy line looks pretty promising, but impressive specs don't appeal to me if the engine can't handle them efficiently. The engine being HP.

my fave laptop of all time...

voodoo_envy_133.jpg

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

voodoo_envy_133.jpg

pimp.gif

Shiny! That was a pretty PC. Don't go near it with a piece of chicken in your hand though, because the grease and all that shiny plastic will b slicker than the BP spill.

The Voodoo/ENVY line has always been heavy on the design aesthetics. Anyone that sees the ENVY in person will quickly see it looks nothing like a Mac at all

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

voodoo_envy_133.jpg

pimp.gif

Shiny! That was a pretty PC. Don't go near it with a piece of chicken in your hand though, because the grease and all that shiny plastic will b slicker than the BP spill.

The Voodoo/ENVY line has always been heavy on the design aesthetics. Anyone that sees the ENVY in person will quickly see it looks nothing like a Mac at all

Originally Posted by djaman

Check out the Slashgear.com review that was just performed on the ENVY that I posted on the first page. I have the top of the line ENVY 14 but the review gives a good overview of what the more affordable versions of the PC provide for users.

Originally Posted by djaman

Check out the Slashgear.com review that was just performed on the ENVY that I posted on the first page. I have the top of the line ENVY 14 but the review gives a good overview of what the more affordable versions of the PC provide for users.

hp_pavilion-dv6-select-edition.jpg

Been looking at the HP dv6t select edition.

Core i5 (2.4GHz)
15.6 " 1366 x 768 display
6 GB DDR3 memory
ATI 5650m GPU (1 GB)
500 GB HDD

all for a little under $1100 (with taxes & shipping)
smokin.gif

hp_pavilion-dv6-select-edition.jpg

Been looking at the HP dv6t select edition.

Core i5 (2.4GHz)
15.6 " 1366 x 768 display
6 GB DDR3 memory
ATI 5650m GPU (1 GB)
500 GB HDD

all for a little under $1100 (with taxes & shipping)
smokin.gif

The dv6t is a HP consumer line laptop. Hum, I personally don't buy consumer laptops because they are designed to die in two years so you can buy another one. The dv6t is a decent laptop though spec-wise. If you're willing to spend 1100, get the ENVY 14.

The dv6t is a HP consumer line laptop. Hum, I personally don't buy consumer laptops because they are designed to die in two years so you can buy another one. The dv6t is a decent laptop though spec-wise. If you're willing to spend 1100, get the ENVY 14.

An apple is an apple.

You can't make an orange look like an apple, cause it's still going to taste like an orange.

Back
Top Bottom