******ed astronomy question... Vol.. SPACE

Originally Posted by infamousod

^ not quite. astronomers came up with the big bang theory on more than a hunch. space is rapidly expanding. you don't need to go somewhere to see things
[color= rgb(255, 0, 255)]I'm saying though, How can you be sure that space is expanding?What proof and test have been run to show that claim true?[/color]

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai

[color= rgb(255, 0, 255)]How can anyone say that space is always growing and never ending when we ourselves have not even reached a far enough distance to know such a claim?[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 255)]How can you say it's closed and eventually it comes to an end, when we haven't even went a distance long enough to determine it's edge?[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 255)]Basically, We haven't traveled anywhere far enough to make a claim on what it is, everything is a hunch, idea, speculation...[/color]

Scientists can determine the radiation from the waves still leftover from the Big Bang. These wavelengths follow a trendline...and they are all beingredshifted (becoming longer). Thus, we can say that the universe is expanding. This is evident in stars. Of course, we can't travel that far--that wouldentail traveling the speed of light. So we infer that space is seconds of existence times the speed of light per seconds in distance.

And what the guy posted about open and closed space is correct.

^ not quite. astronomers came up with the big bang theory on more than a hunch. space is rapidly expanding. you don't need to go somewhere to see things
[color= rgb(255, 0, 255)]I'm saying though, How can you be sure that space is expanding? What proof and test have been run to show that claim true?[/color]

watching specific stars and noticing that they're moving farther apart. its not visible to the naked or even the heavily assisted eye but it has to do withthe lengthening of the wavelengths over time of stars far away. I don't fully understand it myself because it would almost require a physics degree to doso.

a lot of yall are just spouting off your own completely uneducated theories and waiting for someone else to respond to it. read a damn book.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 255)]Thanks for the responses, CLEARLY if I had read a book on the subject, Iwouldn't have asked the question, (although just because it's in a book, makes it no more true/correct than false/wrong. The bible is a book also andhas it's critics) but since I haven't I asked the question. If it was that bothersome, why click the "quote" button and reply?[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 255)]But even with scientists "inferring" something, I'm still skepticaland have disbelief on them being able to truly know that answer... Which is the whole reason for learning, if people didn't have doubts, we'd haveproblems... [/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 255)]NolanMJJ[/color]
pimp.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 255)]infamousod[/color]
indifferent.gif

To add to your post, heres my question, WHY THE HELL ARE WE EXPLORING SPACE, WHEN WE HAVE YET TO DISCOVER THE BOTTOM OF ANY OCEAN ON PLANET EARTH? Like I meantheres probably elements, plants, other life forms that we have yet to discover under our own noses but yet we spend billions building spacecrafts to exploreplanets that no one is this lifetime will ever see. We are so counterproductive as a society it gives me a headache.

There are certain things we do know. That the universe is expanding for example... but what we do not know what is beyond our current limitations.

So we can't answer questions like where it ends or what could be beyond the big bang?

How could it possibly be infinite? Huh?

- Safari​

Originally Posted by gambit215

To add to your post, heres my question, WHY THE HELL ARE WE EXPLORING SPACE, WHEN WE HAVE YET TO DISCOVER THE BOTTOM OF ANY OCEAN ON PLANET EARTH? Like I mean theres probably elements, plants, other life forms that we have yet to discover under our own noses but yet we spend billions building spacecrafts to explore planets that no one is this lifetime will ever see. We are so counterproductive as a society it gives me a headache.

NO.

Exploring space is far more meaningful to the soul. Its finding what's really going on not just what's happening on our small but amazing planet!

- Safari​

Exploring space is far more meaningful to the soul. Its finding what's really going on not just what's happening on our small but amazing planet!

- Safari

Whatever you're smoking.............PM ME

^ do you even know what a dimension is? we're talking cartography here not star trek....actually just leave.
roll.gif
roll.gif

Crazy indeed.

I believe we are all living on a round rock and we are all bacteria like beings that live ON that rock.

We might be traveling very slowly out ward into "space" as we live and die on earth, who says we are not just part of something greater? Just likethe moon revolves around the Earth we might revolve around something else like for instance space its self.

Imagine if we look at something small like a piece of dookie or something, things live on that dookie like bacteria and other organisms. Same with earth, weare on it.... and maybe the earth live on something, and something lives on something, and that on something and so on and on on on onononononon

Thats if we are alone in the universe, but imagine if space never ends..... maybe there is another planet smaller or maybe even bigger with other living thingsthat are bigger or smaller
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Kicktionair

^ do you even know what a dimension is? we're talking cartography here not star trek....actually just leave.
roll.gif
roll.gif

Crazy indeed.

I believe we are all living on a round rock and we are all bacteria like beings that live ON that rock.

We might be traveling very slowly out ward into "space" as we live and die on earth, who says we are not just part of something greater? Just like the moon revolves around the Earth we might revolve around something else like for instance space its self.

Imagine if we look at something small like a piece of dookie or something, things live on that dookie like bacteria and other organisms. Same with earth, we are on it.... and maybe the earth live on something, and something lives on something, and that on something and so on and on on on onononononon

Thats if we are alone in the universe, but imagine if space never ends..... maybe there is another planet smaller or maybe even bigger with other living things that are bigger or smaller
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

pimp.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 255)]Reminds me of the end of MIB when the alien was playing marbles withthe universe...[/color]

infamousod wrote:
cartography? i never saw anyone asking you for a map or chart of space... why do you have to be so condescending?

^ you're actually right cartography is 2 dimensional but that guy was throwing in a completely uneducated thought not even a theory.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 255)]Thanks for the responses, CLEARLY if I had read a book on the subject, I wouldn't have asked the question, (although just because it's in a book, makes it no more true/correct than false/wrong. The bible is a book also and has it's critics) but since I haven't I asked the question. If it was that bothersome, why click the "quote" button and reply?[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 255)]But even with scientists "inferring" something, I'm still skeptical and have disbelief on them being able to truly know that answer... Which is the whole reason for learning, if people didn't have doubts, we'd have problems... [/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 255)]NolanMJJ[/color]
pimp.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 255)]infamousod[/color]
indifferent.gif

we basically said the same thing except he had the technical terms

you're throwing major skepticism, saying its impossible to tell if space is expanding, before you even have a clue of what's going on. why not at leastread wikipedia or something before you imply that NASA is making everything up based on hunches and speculation?

yeah I guess asking NT has a greater success rate of getting it right than any random book...most of them are all made up anyway

For some reason, I feel that NT may not be the best place to get an answer on this subject.

once scientists say something, it HAS TO BE TRUE, just like they told us the following:

The earth is the center of the solar system.

Humans are responsible for the extinction of the dinosaurs

An object at rest has no energy

A rigid solid cannot be compressed or stretched

Continents do not move

roll.gif
Science proves itself wrong every 50 years but yet we hang on to what these geeks say like its ultimate truth, to be honest with you these fools dontknow what they are talking about half the time, but God forbid a "expert" says something like I DONT KNOW

Science proves itself wrong every 50 years but yet we hang on to what these geeks say like its ultimate truth, to be honest with you these fools dont know what they are talking about half the time, but God forbid a "expert" says something like I DONT KNOW

Using your logic, we would always be saying "i don't know" instead of giving out the best possible hypothesis. Credible scientists for the mostpart, realize that what is considered a fact now might change later. That is half the science behind...science, the fact that it is always changing. Would youseriously want scientists to just always say "I dont' know" instead of them telling us the best solution available at the time?

Originally Posted by NolanMJJ

[color= rgb(255, 0, 255)]How can anyone say that space is always growing and never ending when we ourselves have not even reached a far enough distance to know such a claim?[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 255)]How can you say it's closed and eventually it comes to an end, when we haven't even went a distance long enough to determine it's edge?[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 255)]Basically, We haven't traveled anywhere far enough to make a claim on what it is, everything is a hunch, idea, speculation...[/color]

Scientists can determine the radiation from the waves still leftover from the Big Bang. These wavelengths follow a trendline...and they are all being redshifted (becoming longer). Thus, we can say that the universe is expanding. This is evident in stars. Of course, we can't travel that far--that would entail traveling the speed of light. So we infer that space is seconds of existence times the speed of light per seconds in distance.

And what the guy posted about open and closed space is correct.
yup

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

Science proves itself wrong every 50 years but yet we hang on to what these geeks say like its ultimate truth, to be honest with you these fools dont know what they are talking about half the time, but God forbid a "expert" says something like I DONT KNOW

Using your logic, we would always be saying "i don't know" instead of giving out the best possible hypothesis. Credible scientists for the most part, realize that what is considered a fact now might change later. That is half the science behind...science, the fact that it is always changing. Would you seriously want scientists to just always say "I dont' know" instead of them telling us the best solution available at the time?
in the words of DMX- "with the absence of truth BullS*** PREVAILS!!!!!!!!!!!! and to answer your question, Yes, I respect someone who doesntpretend to have the answer than someone who goes by what they think is right and makes it truth to the massess, its called corruption

Back
Top Bottom