Dressing better

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by jmal519

i have an interview for grad school (doctor of physical therapy) next friday and i need something to wear. i don't own a suit so that's out of the question. the only things that i have set for my wardrobe for the interview is a pair of H&M charcoal, wool dress pants and black banana republic loafers. any suggestions on what i should wear up top?

If a blazer is out of the question, I'd go with a simple white shirt and a dark tie and a grey cardigan/sweater.
Although I would encourage a blazer for the interview.
You NEED to wear a suit to a professional interview.

If you aren't serious enough to invest in a suit for interviews, why should the school invest in educating you?
Dude's wearing shirts with no jacket to Grad School interviews? Where they do that at.

My fault, I never did grad school so I am not too sure what it entails. 

i have an interview for grad school (doctor of physical therapy) next friday and i need something to wear. i don't own a suit so that's out of the question. the only things that i have set for my wardrobe for the interview is a pair of H&M charcoal, wool dress pants and black banana republic loafers. any suggestions on what i should wear up top?

If a blazer is out of the question, I'd go with a simple white shirt and a dark tie and a grey cardigan/sweater.

If you aren't serious enough to invest in a suit for interviews, why should the school invest in educating you?
Dude's wearing shirts with no jacket to Grad School interviews? Where they do that at.
I did to four interviews
ohwell.gif
. Was accepted into two of them. I will never wear only a button up and tie to an interview again
laugh.gif
. Invest in a suit. I think as an undergrad you can get away with it, but as a professional/graduate...it shouldn't be acceptable. 

Originally Posted by niidawg3

For a wedding, if you are just attending, I think a simple dark brown oxford, maybe a captoe or brogue will do.
I wouldn't rule out a black pair either, sometimes there is just nothing like wearing a pair of nice black dress shoe and I think a wedding is one of those perfect times to wear one.

i agree. brown oxford will go well with blue pinstripe. i prefer brogueing to plain toe. what is your size and i'll link up a couple options.
Thanks a lot guys

I wear a size 10 but I think I can fit a 9.5 also

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

LMFAO @ rocking a Cardigan to an interview

Well to be fair he did say he doesn't have a suit and was just trying to get by with what he had. So I would say that is the next best thing. 
In my defense I did suggest a blazer. 
embarassed.gif
tired.gif

my brother wore a sweater/tie/shirt combo to his pharmacy school interview and got in. he'll be making $70 - $80,000 minimum straight out of graduation. most male students who i see interview for grad school don't wear a suit. i'm sure most health science grad schools understand that students don't make that much money and can't afford suits.

anyways...RFX: my pants are charcoal. would that be too much gray? would a heather gray sweater and a navy tie work?

my brother wore a sweater/tie/shirt combo to his pharmacy school interview and got in. he'll be making $70 - $80,000 minimum straight out of graduation. most male students who i see interview for grad school don't wear a suit. i'm sure most health science grad schools understand that students don't make that much money and can't afford suits.

anyways...RFX: my pants are charcoal. would that be too much gray? would a heather gray sweater and a navy tie work?

Stop being bullish and listen to the advice of almost everyone. as i said, you MAY get the spot ... but why RISK it.

Dont live to regret your actions. you are putting unneccessary risk into your interview, which is a pathway to your future. Hit up a couple thrift stores, you can find a decent fitting suit for less than 30 dollars. I interview a LOT of people, and if you come into my office without a suit ... you are out of contention PERIOD.

I am sure you will probably go without the suit, get the gig and come laugh in our face, so i rest my case at this point.

Repost from page 639: I'm selling my Ralph Lauren peacoat if anyone is interested. Had it for only a year and it's in pristine condition. Size L. Not looking for much, maybe $100-140 shipped. Not sure if I'm allowed to do this w/o making a post in the Buying/Selling Forum but PM me if you guys would like pics. I'll send pics to whomever is interested once I get back from Chicago on Friday afternoon.

Oh ya, and I ended up getting a blazer from Zara for $100 while in Chicago. It was full price, but decent quality and nobody really wears full suits in my office, so I have to tone it down a notch. It's almost a steel/charcoal color I thought would work well with most pants, even black.

Originally Posted by niidawg3

Stop being bullish and listen to the advice of almost everyone. as i said, you MAY get the spot ... but why RISK it.

Dont live to regret your actions. you are putting unneccessary risk into your interview, which is a pathway to your future. Hit up a couple thrift stores, you can find a decent fitting suit for less than 30 dollars. I interview a LOT of people, and if you come into my office without a suit ... you are out of contention PERIOD.

I am sure you will probably go without the suit, get the gig and come laugh in our face, so i rest my case at this point.
Agreed.

When I interviewed for grad school there was not a single person interviewing with me who was not in a suit. And this was at 6 different schools. For the most part, graduate school is very competitive and you should be doing everything to put yourself AHEAD of everyone else - in every way. Like he said, why risk it.

Originally Posted by NachoBroadway

[h2]So, Which One Are You?[/h2]Esquire breaks down the American man into all his sartorial stereotypes. Behold the amusing (assuming this is tongue in cheek) and well shot editorial.  On a side note: I hope I never actually have the answer to the above question.

The Powerhouse aka The master of the universe, the big swinging d, the man.
the-powerhouse-0310-lg.jpg

Double-breasted wool suit ($7,495), cotton shirt ($595), and silk tie ($215) by Brioni; silk pocket square ($90) by Ermenegildo Zegna; stainless-steel Serena garbo Gent watch ($4,850) by Bertolucci.

The Wasp - Collegiate, the preppy guy, the man in the go-to-hell pants.
the-wasp-0310-lg.jpg

Double-breasted wool-and-cashmere blazer ($3,995) and cotton shirt ($425) by Ralph Lauren Purple Label; silk tie ($250) by Cesare Attolini; cotton trousers ($250) by Burberry; leather shoes ($198) by Cole Haan

The Professional - The company man, the shark.
the-professional-0310-lg.jpg

One-button wool-silk-and-linen blazer ($1,895), cotton shirt ($395), and wool trousers ($325) by Armani Collezioni; silk tie ($180) by Giorgio Armani; leather shoes ($760) by Church's.

The Workman - The blue collar guy, Joe Six-Pack.
the-workman-0310-lg.jpg

Two-button cotton blazer ($1,500) by Etro; cotton jacket ($425) by Woolrich Woolen Mills; cotton shirt ($98) and cotton T-shirt ($27) by J. Crew; cotton jeans ($98) by Levi's

The Italiano - The sprezzatura man, the American who looks vaguely European.
the-italiano-0310-lg.jpg

Two-button cotton blazer ($795) by Prada; cotton shirt ($395) by Ermenegildo Zegna; silk tie ($205) by Ermenegildo Zegna Couture; silk pocket square ($75) by Robert Talbott; cotton-and-linen trousers ($395) by Loro Piana; suede moccasins ($350) by Fratelli Rossetti; leather belt ($275) by Giorgio Armani; titanium Thoroughbred Belmont chronograph ($5,400) by David Yurman

The Woodsman - The hunter, the outdoorsman.
the-woodsman-0310-lg.jpg

Waxed-cotton jacket ($379) by Barbour; linen-and-cashmere vest ($185), Polo by Ralph Lauren; cotton shirt ($465) by Paul Smith; silk tie ($175) by Ralph Lauren Purple Label; cotton corduroy trousers ($100) by Save Khaki; canvas-and-leather belt ($58) by Cole Haan.

The Sportsman - The jock, the running man.
the-sportsman-0310-lg.jpg

Nylon jacket ($695) by Burberry; nylon vest ($450) by Moncler; cotton sweater ($245) by Stone Island; cotton jeans ($165) by J Brand; steel-and-PVD 007 watch ($880) by Red8World; Cordura backpack ($225) by Jack Spade; carabiners by Omega Pacific; water bottles by Sigg

The Rake aka The playboy, the ladies man
the-rake-0310-lg.jpg

Two-button mohair-silk-and-cotton jacket ($3,400), cotton shirt ($495), and silk pocket square ($140) by Tom Ford; cotton jeans ($1,450) by Dolce & Gabbana; leather belt ($995) by Brunello Cucinelli; white-gold Big Pilot watch ($26,500) by IWC; bracelets, from left, ($225) by Tod's, ($375) by Luis Morais, ($125) Giles & Brother by Philip Crangi; gold cuff links ($3,650) by David Yurman

The Minimalist - The Puritan, the man who never wears color.
the-minimalist-0310-lg.jpg

One-button wool suit ($1,295) and cotton shirt ($275) by Calvin Klein Collection; silk tie ($125) by Hugo Boss; leather shoes ($530) by Prada.

The Trad - The New Englander
the-trad-0310-lg.jpg

Three-button wool herringbone blazer ($265) by J. Crew; cotton shirt ($30) by L.L. Bean; cotton tie ($95) by Gant; cotton trousers ($98) by Dockers; leather belt ($45) by J. Press; leather loafers ($495) by Prada; glasses ($405) by Tom Ford.

The Rocker - the friend of the band
the-rocker-0310-lg.jpg

Leather jacket ($2,920) by Dior Homme; cotton-and-linen vest ($498) by John Varvatos; cotton shirt ($165) by John Varvatos Star USA; cotton jeans ($189) by 7 for All Mankind.

The Roller - The man of leisure, the easy rider.
the-roller-0310-lg.jpg

Three-button linen blazer ($2,295), cashmere polo ($1,320), and suede boots ($745) by Brunello Cucinelli; cotton T-shirt ($98) by John Varvatos Star USA; cashmere sweater ($695) by Loro Piana; cotton jeans ($70) by DKNY Jeans; bracelet ($70) by Miracle Icons; stainless-steel Thoroughbred Belmont chronograph ($4,050) and bead necklace ($350) by David Yurman.
Great post, definitely gotta be a combination of every single one but I'm really feeling the The Powerhouse, Professional, Minimalist, Rocker and Rake if he puts the collar down.

RFX45,

Are all your shirts tailored or darted? Seems to be a great fit.

Also where is that Herringbone blazer from? Looks nice.

^^^
I think the darker one might be more versatile. Grey pants are versatile, grey jeans not so much.

Tonight, went real simple and casual, expecting rain.

^^^
I think the darker one might be more versatile. Grey pants are versatile, grey jeans not so much.

Tonight, went real simple and casual, expecting rain.
Fred Perry jacket.
pimp.gif

You can get the grey one, I have a pair but I do not wear too often. Maybe once or twice a month.

Originally Posted by I3

RFX45,

Are all your shirts tailored or darted? Seems to be a great fit.

Also where is that Herringbone blazer from? Looks nice.

Not all, there are some that fits me close enough that it needs no altering like Ben Sherman Soho Fit and BoO shirts.
The Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit shirts are just about right for me and it is great because they have plenty of sleeve options.
It isn't the most slim, it could use a little tapering (darts maybe) but it is liveable.
This shirt is the BB Extra Slim Fit in 14.5x32 and the sleeve length is perfect, I just wish they make one without a pocket that doesn't has a logo.

Oh and Herringbone is Burberry.

Interesting read, I'd take them more as guidelines instead of solid rules to follow.

How to Buy a Suit
Everyone needs a good suit, and if you follow these rules, you'll be able to find your own

Avoid bargains. Know your likes, your dislikes, and what you need it for (work, funerals, court). Squeeze the fabric — if it bounces back with little or no sign of wrinkling, that means it's good, sturdy material. And tug the buttons gently. If they feel loose or wobbly, that means they're probably coming off sooner rather than later. The jacket's shoulder pads are supposed to square with your shoulders; if they droop off or leave dents in the cloth, the jacket's too big. The jacket sleeves should never meet the wrist any lower than the base of the thumb — if they do, ask to go down a size. Always get fitted.

What to Look for in Suit Cloth:

Nicholas Antongiavanni, author of The Suit: A Machiavellian Approach to Men's Style, offers a short primer:

Fabric: Suits are made of wool. Mostly. At the upper end, you see wool blended with cashmere. You might even see 100 percent cashmere. For hot weather, linen and cotton and silk are available, but most suits are still made of wool. Stick with that.

Fineness: It's usually reflected in the so-called "super number." You know, "super 150's" and the like. Two things: First, the super number denotes the fineness of the individual fibers. The higher the number, the thinner the fabric and the smoother and silkier the cloth. Second, wool gets rarer the finer it is, so very high supers — 180's and above — are expensive. But that doesn't make them better, necessarily. They can be wrinkle-prone, and they show signs of wear — such as shininess — early.

Strength: Take a bunch of the cloth and squeeze it. Does it bounce back to life quickly, with little to no visible wrinkling? Does it feel like there's something to it, some structure — what tailors call "guts"? That's a good sign. It's nearly ineffable, but play around with cloth long enough and you'll come to know it.

Variety: What you will see on most store racks is plain weave or worsted (the smooth, tightly woven stuff) — basic business cloth. But there's more to cloth than worsted. The most common alternatives are flannel (spongy, fuzzy stuff) and tweed. Flannel is a classic cool-weather cloth. And we all know what tweed is.

How to Buy a Great Suit
It's all in the details. These five details. Learn them.

The Details You're Looking For:

Flower Loop:

Stitched by hand under the lapel to hold the base of the flower that few men ever wear anymore, it's the kind of detail that shows the tailor cares about tradition. And tradition, in matters of tailoring, is a good thing.

Hand-Stitched Sleeve Lining:

A sure sign the shoulder will fit closely and comfortably. Check the inside seam where the arm meets the body: If it's been sewn by hand, you'll see barely perceptible creases or pleats where the two cloths come together.

Hand-Finished Interior Pocket:

Check the internal left breast pocket: If it's set off by strips of the external fabric, that means it's been reinforced, so it's better able to stow your wares without sagging.

Hidden Pocket:

It's a credit-card-sized compartment that conceals valuable possessions right next to your family jewels. Beyond useful, believe us, especially if you're walking the shadier streets of suit maker Isaia's hometown of Naples.

Vented Pleats:

This subtle fold falls just below the internal waistband and ensures a good fit. It also helps prevent tucked-in shirts from bagging or slipping out.

How to Tell Your Suit Fits
A great suit doesn't look so great if it doesn't fit. Seven ways to tell if it does.

esq-suit-fit-lg.jpg

1. Shoulder pads end with your shoulders.

2. Your flat hand should slip easily into your suit under the lapels when the top (or middle) button is fastened. If you put a fist in, the suit should pull at the button.

3. The top button of a two-button suit — or the middle button of a three-button suit — should not fall below your navel.

4. With your arms at your sides, your knuckles should be even with the bottom of your jacket.

5. Jacket sleeves should fall where the base of your thumb meets your wrist.

6. Between a quarter and a half inch of shirt cuff should be visible.

7. One inch of break.

How to Complement Your Suit
You're not fully dressed until your new suit has a a tie, a pocket square, and more

The Tie: If you play it safe with your shirt and suit, use your tie to make your mark.

The Pocket Square: Look for something in an unexpected shade that plays off a minor color in either your tie or jacket.

The Watch: If ever there was a token of boorish flashiness that has had its day, the big ol' watch is it. Go simple and go strong.

The Shoe: We like dark-brown lace-ups, but go easy on the wing tips, broguing, and assorted embellishments. The more basic the design, the more versatile the shoe.

How to Buy a Dress Shirt
From the buttons to the collar stays, the gusset to the gauntlet button, here's what to look for when you're seeking out a new dress shirt

The Marks of a Well-Made Dress Shirt:

The buttons: Mother-of-pearl buttons are harder than the more ubiquitous plastic. Insist on them — they last.

The gauntlet button: A button halfway up the forearm that makes it easier to roll the cuff. It should otherwise remain buttoned.

Collar stays: A dress shirt isn't dressy without them. They should be removable, but they're essentially forgiving the collar some body.

The gusset: A triangular piece of cloth where front and back tails meet on each side. It reinforces the side seams.

How to Wear a Shirt
How tight to knot your tie, when your shirt collar is just right, where to put a monogram, and more

Tip at the Waist:

On a tie, the point should just touch the waistband of your suit trousers, assuming, of course, that your waistband is properly on or just above your hipbone.

Dimple in the Middle:

Just one dimple. In the middle, secured with a pinch. Edges that are curled forward are sloppy. Practice until it's right.

Tie It Tight:

When tied, the knot should sit high under the collar, so that practically no material can be seen above the knot between the collar edges.

The Tie Clip:

Designed to keep your tie in place, the tie clip should slide in from the wearer's right to grip both the tie and the placket of your shirt around the middle of the sternum.

Know Your Neck Size:

The collar fits when you can just slip your index and middle fingers side by side snugly between your collar and neck. Any tighter and you risk discomfort.

Stick Letters Here:

Stick a monogram anywhere you like. The most classic location is directly below the middle of the breast pocket. Visible but not obtrusive.

The (Abridged) Glossary of Shirt Terms:

Collar Stays: Strips of plastic inserted under the shirt collar to give the collar points body and rigidity.

Grenadine: A loose weave of twisted silk yarns that resembles a knit. A casual yet elegant choice for ties.

Madder: The suedelike feel and muted reddish-pink color associated most commonly with paisley-patterned ties. Originally derived from a complicated dyeing and finishing process using madder root.

Oxford: A type of shirt cotton that employs a thick and a thin thread in the weave, giving a textured look, as used in the classic Brooks Brothers button-down.

Placket: The strengthening strip of cloth running from collar to hem of a shirt that includes the buttonholes.

Single-Needle Stitching: Process whereby a single row of stitches is used on shirt side seams at a time — two passes are necessary for each side seam — rather than cheaper, inferior double-needle stitching.

Two-Fold: Two cotton threads twisted together into a yarn to make a dense, luxurious shirting.

More articles and tips @ http://www.esquire.com/style/tips/

^^^
Really? I find that i can pull off tons of outfits with my grey 514's, but it might just be me
ohwell.gif

I have a stupid question if anyone can help me out. How do i know which pants are casual and which ones are too dressy? Im looking for alternatives to jeans and im so confused on which ones would be wearable to school/movies and etc and which ones are for interviews and stuff. Also the same for shirts, i think the buttondown collars are suppose to be the casual ones and the regular non-buttoned collars are the dressed up formal ones?

Originally Posted by LuckyP90

I have a stupid question if anyone can help me out. How do i know which pants are casual and which ones are too dressy? Im looking for alternatives to jeans and im so confused on which ones would be wearable to school/movies and etc and which ones are for interviews and stuff. Also the same for shirts, i think the buttondown collars are suppose to be the casual ones and the regular non-buttoned collars are the dressed up formal ones?

I wouldn't say button down are necessarily casual, I mean it is casual but it can be dressy for work. It isn't formal though.
Sport shirts usually had bolder patterns and colors while dress shirts tend to be more toned down or of solid color (not that one can't be the other).
Also, most of the time, sport shirts are sized "S, M, L, etc..." while dress shirts are sized by neck size, "14, 14.5, 15, 15.5, etc..."

As for pants, chinos/khakis are more casual than say slacks/dress pants. You can usually tell the difference between chinos and slacks just by looking at it.
Chinos/khakis, I would say, is less refined. It doesn't exactly have that clean look like slacks does with the crease or pleats.
Chinos tend to be cotton while slacks/dress pants tend to be wool but it goes both ways now-a-days or integrate other material types.
Most casual pants are made of fabric that is easier to maintain/wash, something that you can throw in the washer unlike dress pants that has to be dry cleaned for the most part.
It's hard to explain in words but I tried, Niidawg is usually better with words than me so I'll let him summarize my wall of text.
laugh.gif

I got a couple of Express Solid 1MX shirts for my birthday. They are all really bright colors like bright red, bright blue, and magenta.

I can't imagine any fits that I could pull it off with. Advice?

Back
Top Bottom