Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Anyone own Red Wing Merchants?

Been looking to buy my first pair of boots. People recommend IRs but I think they look a little "clowny" because of the round toe. Anyone else feel this way?

Been looking to buy my first pair of boots. People recommend IRs but I think they look a little "clowny" because of the round toe. Anyone else feel this way?

Yes, I find them disgusting.

Thursday Boots are cheaper and better looking (but not elitist approved). I wear a pair daily as beaters, and they've held up well with some minimal polish while walking 2-3 miles through grimy city streets for the past 2 months.

Yes, I find them disgusting.

Thursday Boots are cheaper and better looking (but not elitist approved). I wear a pair daily as beaters, and they've held up well with some minimal polish while walking 2-3 miles through grimy city streets for the past 2 months.

Yeah, I have Thursdays on my list, really like how their boots look. They're at a good price point, but I've heard conflicting reviews on quality and I wouldn't mind spending a little more for some seconds or something.

Which ones do you have?

^^ I read that RW is phasing out the IR and focusing on slimmer toebox boots like Sheldon/Merchant.

Oh, interesting. I'll have to check up on this. I've seen pictures of the flat toe Beckmans but I think they're only in Asia.

Let us know how it is. I think it’s a showroom but I dunno what that means? Is it the same as a store? Can you try on stuff and buy right there?

According to some cats on ig it seems to be a permanent store (til the rent tear them apart)

I'll let you guys know anyway

I think that's become a pretty popular sentiment among some people, but I have some RW Beckmans and find the "clowny" thing to be overstated. I wouldn't buy them at retail, but I'd keep an eye on the IRs because they are great looking boots. Thursday is good as well, just make sure you're doing your research on the specific boots, their sizing, etc.

I think that's become a pretty popular sentiment among some people, but I have some RW Beckmans and find the "clowny" thing to be overstated. I wouldn't buy them at retail, but I'd keep an eye on the IRs because they are great looking boots. Thursday is good as well, just make sure you're doing your research on the specific boots, their sizing, etc.

Yeah, I'm keeping an eye on the RW because they do look a bit more casual and they're quality is top notch, especially at that price point. I like how they look but the rounded/bulbous toe just throws me off a bit. Maybe it's just the toe stitch on the IRs that make the roundness much more pronounced.

Kinda liking these too

https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_category/shoes/boots/kenton-leather-captoe-boots/F4446

Last edited:

I have a pair of beckhams as well and the toe can look huge. I find they look best when I wear some tapered pants for some reason. They also fit really big and I wish I sized down more. Bought red wing insoles but haven’t put them in yet.

I have a pair of beckhams as well and the toe can look huge. I find they look best when I wear some tapered pants for some reason. They also fit really big and I wish I sized down more. Bought red wing insoles but haven’t put them in yet.
Yeah, I always wear mine with tapered jeans and it seems to work out well. I'm glad I'm not the only one that found them big. Luckily I did size down a good amount and can wear them comfortably with wool socks or the RW insole and thinner socks if need-be. They've become my go-to boots in the last few months.

Yeah, I have Thursdays on my list, really like how their boots look. They're at a good price point, but I've heard conflicting reviews on quality and I wouldn't mind spending a little more for some seconds or something.

Which ones do you have?

I have the Presidents, the plain toe ones.

Pros:
-Price
-Quality for the price
-Dainite type rubber sole for wet weather and for walking longer distances
-Resolable

Cons:
-Sleeker than most casual boots, but still has a clear "boot" profile. You can't pass these off as dress boots, which I was kind of hoping for. Not a big deal though, since I have other boots that fit that description
-Hook lacing: not really a con for this specific boot since this is common on most casual boots. I'm just too used to slipping my Chelsea boots on and off very quickly. It takes an extra 20-30 seconds to get these on and off :lol:
-The one part that doesn't look good to me is the heel area. They used some type of paint that scrapes off over time if you walk around a lot like I do.

Overall I think it was a good purchase for something I can wear around casually/frequently and can walk around a lot in, something I can't do in my nicer boots.

I have the Presidents, the plain toe ones.

Pros:
-Price
-Quality for the price
-Dainite type rubber sole for wet weather and for walking longer distances
-Resolable

Cons:
-Sleeker than most casual boots, but still has a clear "boot" profile. You can't pass these off as dress boots, which I was kind of hoping for. Not a big deal though, since I have other boots that fit that description
-Hook lacing: not really a con for this specific boot since this is common on most casual boots. I'm just too used to slipping my Chelsea boots on and off very quickly. It takes an extra 20-30 seconds to get these on and off :lol:
-The one part that doesn't look good to me is the heel area. They used some type of paint that scrapes off over time if you walk around a lot like I do.

Overall I think it was a good purchase for something I can wear around casually/frequently and can walk around a lot in, something I can't do in my nicer boots.

Thanks!

I really like the Terracotta Captains and Burnt Copper Vanguards.

Yeah, I'm keeping an eye on the RW because they do look a bit more casual and they're quality is top notch, especially at that price point. I like how they look but the rounded/bulbous toe just throws me off a bit. Maybe it's just the toe stitch on the IRs that make the roundness much more pronounced.

Kinda liking these too

https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_category/shoes/boots/kenton-leather-captoe-boots/F4446

I have those J Crew boots. They’re very comfy and good year welted. Got for around $150, def wait for a sale if you can.

I have those J Crew boots. They’re very comfy and good year welted. Got for around $150, def wait for a sale if you can.

Damn, really? I'll keep a look out then.

Also came across these https://www.allenedmonds.com/outlet/clearance/shoes/higgins-mill-boot-with-dainite-sole/SF7561.html

Other than Grana who have good fitting tees?

Like basic tees? Amazon has a line called Goodthreads which fit well on me. Also Uniqlo's Supima tees.

what measurements do you guys usually use when tapering jeans? looking to clean them up from the knee down. they're levi 511s, but theyre still kinda big at the bottom. just wanna have them a bit more slim at that part. never had jeans altered before haha. thanks for the noob help. headed to downtown LA to get them altered later today

what measurements do you guys usually use when tapering jeans? looking to clean them up from the knee down. they're levi 511s, but theyre still kinda big at the bottom. just wanna have them a bit more slim at that part. never had jeans altered before haha. thanks for the noob help. headed to downtown LA to get them altered later today
It always helps to show a picture of what you want.

What’s up everyone.

Struggling hard to find a pair of jeans to go with my Chelsea boots. I want something tapered to fall cleanly over my boot but at the same time I don’t want to wear skinny jeans. Any help is much appreciated. These are the boots btw.

756EC079-3DCF-4A57-8078-CD7E28D61E93.jpeg

What’s up everyone.

Struggling hard to find a pair of jeans to go with my Chelsea boots. I want something tapered to fall cleanly over my boot but at the same time I don’t want to wear skinny jeans. Any help is much appreciated. These are the boots btw.

756EC079-3DCF-4A57-8078-CD7E28D61E93.jpeg

If you're looking for something like that, I'd suggest finding a pair of Acne Ace jeans. They're thin, but not skinny and if you size right look good with the CP chelseas. Acne no longer makes the model, but you can find them on Grailed and eBay as well as some retailers that have older stock.

It really depends because their some peeps in here that like their jeans tight AF. So tight that their chicks accidentally wear them.

I rock a 6.5 leg opening.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom