Dressing Better Vol 2.0

First two days back to teaching this new school year.

Bespoke suit, SuitSupply shirt, Conrad Wu tie

SuitSupply Suit, SuitSupply Shirt (outlet pick-up), Knit tie

Love these fits bro. So visually appealing with the play on textures. 

Gonna hit y'all with a semi-long post so apologies. I have tried to stay out of this thread for the past two years while I was looking for a new job (yes it took me that long) and until I could be financially capable of stepping my wardrobe up. So the time has come and I will be starting a new position with the state of CA in the coming weeks. I will have to dress business casual. I know this is a pretty loose term but could I get some recommendations on some good starter pieces. I was thinking wearing chinos, etc. with button ups and ties for most days but want to go with quality over quantity. Not to say I want to drop a significant amount of money on some button ups but I don't want to build a wardrobe of Jcrew Factory shirts either. Just looking for something that is good quality at a reasonable price. Sizing has also been a problem for me as with dress shirts I am somehwere between a S and M, thanks.

Last edited:
Was about to say the Havana's lapels aren't wide enough for me.

I haven't tried on the Havana, does it seem overly slim? Or could I grab the same size in that as the Hudson?

I own a few Havanas, Washingtons, and Siennas.
I don't own the Hudson but I have tried it on a couple times.

From what I can remember, I would say the Hudson fits very similar to the Havana. I tried on the same size I wear in the Havana and it worked fine.- the Havana may have even been a little less fitted.

I ultimately decided against it because I didn't like the patch chest pocket too much but I do regret passing on the burgundy chalk stripe Hudson last FW.

If I remember correctly Dan Treppanier grabbed it and the model [Will, I think his name is] showcased it a few times.

Speaking of which, I've followed Dan since he first won the Esquire award back in his blogspot days. Always enjoyable posts. He and the TSB/AoS team seem really chill. I know some of you guys have met/shopped with them at MAB. How are those guys in person? Not complete douchebags, I hope. I saw they're opening their own showroom. I'd like to check it out when I'm in NY next. anyone purchase any pieces from their collection?

Anyone ever purchase from Sir Sprezz, Angel Ramos? I've been considering buying from both?

Also, sarteaga0408 sarteaga0408 nice looks. I like the second one especially. I taught some years back and was required to wear a suit/sport coat. I remember when I first started thinking it was a little much but after seeing how it influenced the young men I taught, I got behind the idea.

Last edited:
Haven't met Will or the other new cat but have kicked it with Dan and Alex before. Chill dudes. Wes is actually a very close friend; we met from my shoot with TSB back on 2013. He should be back around the AoS table now that the team is back in NYC again.

Hey guys. So I just wanted to ask a general question and get your opinions. I have a pair of chelsea boots that I absolutely love the style and design on. The problem I'm having with them is they are slightly too large (I'm a size 9.5 in most shoes, but bought a 10 in these boots since the fit was the best fitting). I also tried my true size 9.5 and found the model was small to size. I only was able to notice it as a problem after more wearings and time with them. When walking, there is slight heel drag although I wouldn't say it's terrible. It's just annoying as those who have worn a shoe that's a half size too big would know. Since I've worn them, they obviously can't be returned but would an insole fix this problem? I've heard the thick socks suggestion but that's not always practical. I would rather not sell them but if that's the only option, it may have to be that one.

was trying to bite the bullet and wait till the holidays to cop the grana denim, but in need of another pair for the daily rotation. if im normally a 30 waist and wear a 31 in the NF skinny guy power stretch, should i go with a 32 in grana rather than a 30? Consensus seems to be to size up

Hey guys. So I just wanted to ask a general question and get your opinions. I have a pair of chelsea boots that I absolutely love the style and design on. The problem I'm having with them is they are slightly too large (I'm a size 9.5 in most shoes, but bought a 10 in these boots since the fit was the best fitting). I also tried my true size 9.5 and found the model was small to size. I only was able to notice it as a problem after more wearings and time with them. When walking, there is slight heel drag although I wouldn't say it's terrible. It's just annoying as those who have worn a shoe that's a half size too big would know. Since I've worn them, they obviously can't be returned but would an insole fix this problem? I've heard the thick socks suggestion but that's not always practical. I would rather not sell them but if that's the only option, it may have to be that one.
you could put double insoles or you can buy one of those dr scholles heel inserts to add to your insole.

or honestly...buy some boot socks.  

perhaps try swapping the insole?

you could put double insoles or you can buy one of those dr scholles heel inserts to add to your insole.

or honestly...buy some boot socks.  
Thanks guys. I think those two are the best options. I feel that an insole would probably take up the right amount of space to minimize the problem, even if it doesn't completely solve it. In the grand scheme of things, I don't feel it's that huge of an issue. If they were like a size/size and a half too big, then that would warrant them not even being wearable. I usually would never purchase something that's not my true size but I also didn't think sizing up the 1/2 size would be a huge problem since the 9.5 fit too snug.

looking for a plain black varsity with real leather sleeves. Any suggestions for a $300 budget?

TIA

Gonna hit y'all with a semi-long post so apologies. I have tried to stay out of this thread for the past two years while I was looking for a new job (yes it took me that long) and until I could be financially capable of stepping my wardrobe up. So the time has come and I will be starting a new position with the state of CA in the coming weeks. I will have to dress business casual. I know this is a pretty loose term but could I get some recommendations on some good starter pieces. I was thinking wearing chinos, etc. with button ups and ties for most days but want to go with quality over quantity. Not to say I want to drop a significant amount of money on some button ups but I don't want to build a wardrobe of Jcrew Factory shirts either. Just looking for something that is good quality at a reasonable price. Sizing has also been a problem for me as with dress shirts I am somehwere between a S and M, thanks.

Anyone know what some good reasonably priced button up are? I feel like I'm really in between sizes usually due to chest size and the sleeve length. Should I go the custom route or would it be easier to buy then tailor?

Check out Uniqlo

They have a decent selection of basics at ok prices

And they're good for little mans cause they're a Japanese company

got a wedding i'm attending coming up in 2 weeks and i'm looking for a light grey suit to add to the wardrobe

anyone got recommendations for a site/store that has a good price and fit?

preferably something light since I live in SD and it'll be semi-hot during the wedding

something like this, maybe even a little lighter

was trying to bite the bullet and wait till the holidays to cop the grana denim, but in need of another pair for the daily rotation. if im normally a 30 waist and wear a 31 in the NF skinny guy power stretch, should i go with a 32 in grana rather than a 30? Consensus seems to be to size up
I'm wondering the same. I'm also a 30 waist but I feel that if I size up to a 32 it might be too loose at the waist.

I might just have to pull the trigger and find out. Return fee tho :smh:

I'm wondering the same. I'm also a 30 waist but I feel that if I size up to a 32 it might be too loose at the waist.

Lmk how that works out for you guys, I went tts on the denim but I think the only reason why I was able to is because my calves are small than a mf

Speaking of which, I've followed Dan since he first won the Esquire award back in his blogspot days. Always enjoyable posts. He and the TSB/AoS team seem really chill. I know some of you guys have met/shopped with them at MAB. How are those guys in person? Not complete douchebags, I hope. I saw they're opening their own showroom. I'd like to check it out when I'm in NY next. anyone purchase any pieces from their collection?

Also, sarteaga0408 sarteaga0408 nice looks. I like the second one especially. I taught some years back and was required to wear a suit/sport coat. I remember when I first started thinking it was a little much but after seeing how it influenced the young men I taught, I got behind the idea.

Thanks man. I find that it does really influence them. I am casual on Friday's to show them that you can do both. The young men really do appreciate that there is someone who looks like them who puts on a suit and tie M-Th and then tones it done on Friday's. I am strong believer that teaching them doesn't just stop in the classroom.

Regarding Dan and TSB/AoS team they're pretty cool people. I like what Dan offers but I think the price range is too high for what he's referring to "online bespoke" which is really MTM. I think he has a much better way of measuring people and delivering a well made product and that he does a great manufacturer (Southwick). However, for what he's asking, especially since I've been a customer of MAB, it's only a few hundred off from their bespoke options.

Any how...fit from Friday

JCF Plaid Shirt
Gap Lived In Slim Khakis
Kent Wang White Low Top Sneakers

I bought their jeans in a size 32, when I normally wear 31 in APC/Jcrew denim. They fit a little big after a few wears now, but I don't think I would have been better off with the sz 30.

You can easily get the waist taken in by a tailor for $5. My waist size is a 31 but I wear 33 in jeans because of my legs, so I always get the waist taken in for a perfect fit.

It amazes me how people wear jeans like APC 2-3 sizes small because "the waist stretches" and then complain about ripped crotches and @#$ cheeks :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom