Dressing Better Vol 2.0

that requires the time needed to save $300, and that's not including the promo codes that are often out there for jcrew which can cop you a ludlow for around 300-400 bucks. idk about you but saving 300 bucks takes me probably  a month and a half after paying bills,rent,food cause I'm not balling (yet).  If i needed a suit asap and i see how good ludlow looks on everyone in this thread and the jcrew catalogs and it fits so nice off the rack which limits my tailor fees. why wouldn't you go with that. Unless I'm wearing it on the regular the construction of the suit won't be a big deal. I'll probably rock my suit once I get it, at the most once or twice a month and that's going to include me rocking a suit just cause it's new and wearing it out and being overdressed. 

lol exactly

his mindset isnt the same because he is in a diff tax bracket, the point i was trying to make.

hank even though you may be right

its called "staying in your lane"

dressing better should still be within ones budget, if you needa save up or make sacrifices for clothes, nah something is off

Last edited:
Some people just need to admit that they're paying an extra $400 for suit or an extra $200 for shoes because of the brand name, not for the quality. There's nothing wrong with that though; people deserve to spend money and enjoy life after handling their daily work and responsibilities.

But the way some people put it, you'd think that the cheaper item would disintegrate after 2 wears. I have $50 sneakers that are as good as my $600 ones, I have $30 H&M dress shirts and jeans from college that are still in perfect condition 4 years later even after countless nights of clubbing, and I have a $5 henley that looks the same as when I got it a year ago.

You can definitely dress very well for cheap If you just take care of your clothes . Hang dry your shirts, put shoe trees in your dress shoes, etc.

I could honestly build a solid wardrobe just off cheap stuff alone, but my profession requires me to constantly look for ways for my clients to cut costs. I HAVE to spend money in my personal life to create a balance, or else I'm gonna become one of those 24/7 stingy @#$ old people that everyone hates being around :lol:

Last edited:
A majority of time, there definitely is a quality difference between something like H&M versus something like HUGO Boss and all the big brands.  Maybe not to the naked eye but more so in the build and construction of the clothes, especially for suits.

IMHO, clothes are almost like cars.  Young adults in college who are working PT to get themselves through school should be buying something in their price range that suits their income.  No young kid who is responsible with their money should be blowing their entire paycheck on a brand new Mercedes or BMW nor should they be spending a grand on a suit when they can do just fine with a Honda that gets them from point A to B like a J Crew suit that fits perfectly fine for occasional wears.

Once they establish themselves in the workforce and work their ways up to a stronger financial position should they start looking at higher end brands for anything.

It's the process of moving up the hierarchy ladder in most cases.

There are brand new Corneliani/Canali/Ralph Lauren Black Label/Boglioli/Ermenegildo Zegna/etc. suits on eBay going for $500-$600 whose quality will blow J.Crew out of the water. I, also, don't know why people are settling for J.Crew.

Last edited:
A majority of time, there definitely is a quality difference between something like H&M versus something like HUGO Boss and all the big brands.  Maybe not to the naked eye but more so in the build and construction of the clothes, especially for suits.

IMHO, clothes are almost like cars.  Young adults in college who are working PT to get themselves through school should be buying something in their price range that suits their income.  No young kid who is responsible with their money should be blowing their entire paycheck on a brand new Mercedes or BMW nor should they be spending a grand on a suit when they can do just fine with a Honda that gets them from point A to B like a J Crew suit that fits perfectly fine for occasional wears.

Once they establish themselves in the workforce and work their ways up to a stronger financial position should they start looking at higher end brands for anything.

It's the process of moving up the hierarchy ladder in most cases.

There is a difference, but that doesn't mean the cheaper stuff is garbage. That's all I'm trying to say; people act like the affordable stuff is just gonna tear apart instantly or something. It gives the wrong idea for people who are trying to improve their wardrobe while on a tight budget but get scared away cause of comments like "That H&M shirt is good for one wear, then it needs to be thrown in the trash" (something that I've seen posted in this thread once in a while)

Last edited:
I like that car comparison. A 750i is a great car, but that doesn't mean that the Honda Accord that costs 70K less is a piece of trash.

As for the J Crew suiting, I find it convenient because a lot of designer suits don't come in separates. For me, buying most slim designer suits that have a standard 6" drop is impossible. I wear a 38 jacket but have a 30 inch waist with the legs of a 33"-34". Companies like J Crew that have different fits for their pants help out a lot. I don't have the patience to go bespoke even though I can afford it, and I don't really care either. I dress well to impress women; I seriously doubt any of them care if my suit was hand woven by an master Italian goat herder or w/e or made in a factory

Last edited:

I was beginning to think it wasn't coming :smokin

Last edited:
idk about everyone else, but for my budget they're good, also I've heard nothing but good things about them. I've never heard anyone say they're bad, just that things on the higher end are better. Plus most people when they come in here are on a time line and don't have time to save up 7-1k for a high end suit. Unless you're wearing it daily it will last for years I'm sure. I have a jc penny suit from about 6 years ago that doesn't fit me correctly but if i really needed to I know i could rock cause I've worn it like 4 times lol

Come tax time I'll be copping from either suit supply or ludlow depending on what fits better off the rack. 

Ludlows are around $525. Save up another $300 and you can get a decent Hugo Boss suit or even some Canali's

:lol: Acting like going from $525 (you can get them a lot cheaper with sales anyway) to $800+ isn't a big deal. If someone's budget is $500, then it's $500.

That being said, I own a couple (maybe 3?) Hugo Boss suits and I got them all at Bloomingdale's for maybe $500-600 each, retail was more like $850-900.

I don't have to wear suits on a daily basis so aside from staying away from wool blends, poor fits off the rack and sub-standard construction, I go for what's good quality for the price and colors or patterns I like and generally what looks best and may just take some relatively minor tailoring to be perfect.

Quality of some H&M items are fine. I don't really shop there anymore but I also had some things that lasted me a long time and I actually think a lot of their coats & jackets are really good buys for the price. Their suits and a lot of other items are absolute trash IMO though and unless your budget is truly only like $100, I'd avoid them at all costs. You can look good enough to plenty of people if that's all that matters.

Quality of some H&M items are fine. I don't really shop there anymore but I also had some things that lasted me a long time and I actually think a lot of their coats & jackets are really good buys for the price. Their suits and a lot of other items are absolute trash IMO though and unless your budget is truly only like $100, I'd avoid them at all costs. You can look good enough to plenty of people if that's all that matters.

I have a black jacket I bought from there few years back, it's still in great shape. A pair of jeans too that are a bit tight on me now, but they still have held well over the years.

Bought this last week, can't beat the $12.95 price tag.

Got a company Christmas party in the middle of next month. What do you guys typically wear to this event?

Last edited:
i typically rock something festive to those events. i.e. throw in a xmas sweater instead of your normal plain one. unless it's really formal have some fun with it. 

Anyone ever get a pair of Gustin jeans? Thinking of placing an order...it'll be my first pair of selvedge just a little different due to them waiting til a set number of orders are placed before shipping out

I have a pair of the Heavy American in Slim fit. I've only worn them once, I really like the fit but I'm just not in the mood to break them in right now. Maybe I'll wear them on some really cold days that I can wear jeans and a baselayer. Quality seems on point especially for $80-90. I can try to compare them to some other jeans I have (APC, N&F) in terms of fit and quality.

What do you guys think of natural colored belts (Almost like a light tan color)? Them look nice but seem like they won't go well with every attire

Anybody in here 6'5''?

I'm lanky at 190 pounds. Working on that.

I've bought a couple shirts from OLD NAVY and the fit is turrble.

Regular sizes are too short and the size I buy ( medium tall ) is too long and sloppy.

I'm sure once I bulk up some more I won't have as much trouble... but any help for now?

Surprising that a Medium-Tall is too long at 6'5". I'm 6'2" and I used to have issues with length like 8+ years ago but most companies have improved their fits.

The worst was undershirts that'd shrink easily (all brands but I used to get Polo most often) and end up like a belly shirt. **** was terrible.

Anybody in here 6'5''?

I'm lanky at 190 pounds. Working on that.

I've bought a couple shirts from OLD NAVY and the fit is turrble.

Regular sizes are too short and the size I buy ( medium tall ) is too long and sloppy.

I'm sure once I bulk up some more I won't have as much trouble... but any help for now?
Alterations my friend. Alterations.

Back
Top Bottom