Dolphins Negotiating With Jake Long

Per the Bottom Line on ESPN...

No link yet.

Not sure if I like this Parcells decision... Wrong Long, IMO.

Well, Chris Long to Gunna's Rams.

It's just negotiations. Doesnt mean they are picking him, sounds like they are going to play the "who's going to go cheaper" route withseveral guys.

Terrific. 40 million for the #1 and we get Howie Jr.
eyes.gif

Well, maybe it's a Bill thing where they are negotiating with a couple of dudes at once to see who wants what and so forth.

But really it they are going to take Jake, they should trade JT during the draft. They have to. It's not like they can pair JT and Long for 7 years oranything like that. Trade Taylor, get as much value as you can, draft another young kid or two and hope you get a young speedy squad together that can growfor the next couple years. I hope that's the plan.

If that's the pick, I don't think it's the right pick. Dolphins need to somehow get out of that spot and make a great trade for themselves.

If that can't happen then take Chris Long.

I don't know which Long is which, but I like the O-Lineman better. I feel like they are more scarce than quality D-Ends, and their success is easier toproject.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Terrific. 40 million for the #1 and we get Howie Jr.
eyes.gif

Well, maybe it's a Bill thing where they are negotiating with a couple of dudes at once to see who wants what and so forth.

But really it they are going to take Jake, they should trade JT during the draft. They have to. It's not like they can pair JT and Long for 7 years or anything like that. Trade Taylor, get as much value as you can, draft another young kid or two and hope you get a young speedy squad together that can grow for the next couple years. I hope that's the plan.

Jake Long. Not Chris... LT Tackle from Michigan...

And this is the best pick possible.

The two most important posistions in the league is Quarterback and Left Tackle. For a team as talent devoid as the Dolphins are, IMO you can't justifyspending 34 mil in guranteed salaries on a 34 OLB. Especially when at the momment you still have to play and pay Jason Taylor and Joey Porter (albeit both onthe elder side), both whom are huge salaries cap hits if moved (especially Porter) as well...

With this, the Dolphins would have two bookend tackles in Long(LT) and Carey (RT) along with a solid young center in Satele..You're solidfying 3 key spotsspots on offensive front for the next decade or so.

I personally think the most impactful defensive player in that top 4 is Glenn Dorsey, but his skillset simply does not translate well to a base 34. I'm notreally sold on Chris Long's upside...Jake Long dominanted speed rushers who were/will be first round picks(Anthony Spencer,Adam Carriker, Derrick Harvey).

I don't see him being Robert Gallery part deux, he had far better agility drills numbers in his combine than Gallery did. Gallery had stone feet. Strong uptop, but didn't move well at all. I see Jake more of the lines of making the impact of a Joe Thomas...

That's why it's just negotiations. They don't want to pay "big time first overall pick QB" money to a O-Linemen.

good move, jake will not disappoint

btw the michigan connection to the dolphins is pretty strong these days. I've seen a lot of Dolphin's scouts talking to Henne and Arrington

smh.gif

IF u gonna go the cheap route, put it out there u want McFadden, and make the Jets or Raiders hop up and give up picks to get him.
Bill showin his hand too soon.

Jake Long 1st pick = Russell Maryland, solid player but not worthy of the #1 overall slot,

If u pickin OL that high, they have to be an Orlando Pace type college player

Jake Jong is projected to be a RT in the NFL according to Mayock. A RT shouldn't be a #1. This is a smokescreen.

put it out there u want McFadden, and make the Jets or Raiders hop up and give up picks to get him.
Would be an obvious bluff.

Everyone and their moms know the Dolphins aren't taking McFadden. That would be over 50 million in commited salaries to running backs(With RonnieBrown's deal). Dolphins have no dire need for a running back with Brown, and ofcourse Ricky with a pennies on the dollar contract.

And no one is trading up the number 1 slot in this draft in particular. No one..

Jake Long dominated the combine in both strength and agility drills. And he has the resume(2 sacks given up in 4 years, 2 penaties commited in 4 years)...Forthis salary commitment, the Dolphins flat out need a non bust. Jake Long even if he flames out at Left (which I don't think he will) at the next level willbe at WORST a darn good right tackle...

The Dolphins currently have a MAJOR hole at the tackle spot. They don't have one at the momment at OLB(Gholston/Long) or Rb....

Really the only two players the Dolphins (from the jump) should be looking at is Jake Long and Matt Ryan. If Matt Ryan doesn't light up your eyes inworkouts, you go with the safe pick...

yea, now its an obvious bluff, but if they woulda kept bringin McFadden in for workouts and meetings,
then had a heavy presence at his pro day, they could have fooled many a team.

like I said, they showed their hand too soon

As far as Dmac goes...Everybody knows Bill will never ever take a RB that high tho

but I agree, no reason to show their hand yet.

Also who's to say Bill/Ireland didn't do their homework?

The Rams & Cheifs (two teams in the top 5) in particular have both shown a TON of interest in Jake... He could very well be the most valuable asset in thisdraft in terms of trade interest if there is any at all.

As good as Jake Long is and as dominant as he was physically. IMO he aint even as good as Joe Thomas.

Dade Boy could be, but there is depth at OT at the top of the draft. the top 3 OTs arent that far off from each other talent wise.
I'd be utterly shocked to see a team like KC trade up to get Long when they could get WIlliams by sitting where they origianlly are

Remains to be seen. Obvious you can say that as of now, being Thomas is a pro bowler and Jake at the momment is unproven..

But like Thomas, Jake faced off against a handful of first and second round edge rushers, and dominated them. Kid has quite the resume. And ontop of that he had one hell of combine. He's got that mean streak about him too...

Again, his worst case scenario as a prospect is a darn good RT. Now you don't tack Right Tackles number 1, but who's to say hedoesn't fill that franchise Left tackle void?

Dolphins haven't had that since the days of Richmond Webb protecting Marino's blind side. Been a long time...

EDIT..

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Dade Boy could be, but there is depth at OT at the top of the draft. the top 3 OTs arent that far off from each other talent wise.
I'd be utterly shocked to see a team like KC trade up to get Long when they could get WIlliams by sitting where they origianlly are

Yea, there is...And at the same time they'll be flying off the board too.

Otah, Clady, and Cherillus will not exit the first round...And Otah and Clady could both go top 15.

And while those are solid prospects, none of them have the resume that Jake Long has. They didn't only allow 2 sacks their entire college career, nor dideither only commit two penalties over the course of their career. Nor did they have the combine that Jake had...

Them dudes is Levi Browns while I believe Jake is Joe Thomas...

I dunno though. Jake Long is said to be better suited at Right Tackle because he "struggles"with speed rushers from the Left position.

I think Bill Parcells is starting to improve the Dolphins at the most important area. Games are won in the trenches. I don't think #1

overall money would be a great investment for a DE (maybe a DT), but not a DE unless he was like Dwight Freeney or so. If Jake

Long is who he is supposed to be, this would be a great pick for Miami.

I could see St. Louis taking Chris Long, but lately they have been infatuated with Vernon Gholston and there's been plenty of talk

of him going as high as #1. I wouldn't count him out from being taken by St. Louis.

Man, I really hope Chris Long slips down to the Raiders...I really don't know who the Rams will pick up, but if they pass up on Chris Long then I think wehave a pretty good chance of picking up Chris Long
pimp.gif

I might be trippin' though, I'm just assuming ATL will pick up Matt Ryan...

as a raider fan i either want chirs long, Dmac,Dorsey or tarde out of it and get more pics in that order

Back
Top Bottom