does the radio success of drake's 'the motto' validate 'hyphy' in any way?

Originally Posted by JTPlatnum

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

not hyphy?
the video takes place in san francisco (aka the general epicenter of hyphy)...
he's got e40 and b-legit in the video...guys that have fully embraced hyphy and have been running wild with it
he shouts out mac dre and says he's 'gonna do it for the bay' multiple times
wayne 'ghostrides the whip' in the video...another hyphy reference.
on top of all that...listen to any 'hyphy' song and it's got the same beat & chorus structure.

if you don't think 'the motto' is hyphy then i dunno what to tell you.

i do find it interesting, though, that everyone hates on 'hyphy' but when a pop artist doing his rendition of hyphy it's one of the hottest songs on the charts...
you know how stupid you sound? 
roll.gif
no, i don't know how 'stupid' i sound. tell me so i can understand why i sound stupid.  
EDIT: and thanks for adding your valuable opinion to the discussion.
Dude, just take the L.

Originally Posted by oFLUo

It's popular because it's a Drake & Wayne song, and more importantly because of that payola

And I thought u was because the beat is cool and it had some catchy words.

I think if any two artist were to replace drake and Wayne and used the some lyrics and "swag" on the song the song would have blew up anyways.

not hyphy?
he's got e40 and b-legit in the video...guys that have fully embraced hyphy and have been running wild with it
on top of all that...listen to any 'hyphy' song and it's got the same beat & chorus structure.

i do find it interesting, though, that everyone hates on 'hyphy' but when a pop artist doing his rendition of hyphy it's one of the hottest songs on the charts...
You can't be from here  
roll.gif

Originally Posted by PUSHA C

Originally Posted by Essential1

Let's just say it was hyphy for a second.... It doesn't matter.. The Motto is only a radio success because of the artists... Drake & Lil Wayne are the reason it is on the radio so much.. Had it been someone else who did the song it'd appear and disappear in a month.

isn't the motto tygas song, bro?

The version I have doesn't have Tyga in it.

word
Bay Area even sucks at their own music 
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by juggy4805

Originally Posted by PUSHA C

Let's just say it was hyphy for a second.... It doesn't matter.. The Motto is only a radio success because of the artists... Drake & Lil Wayne are the reason it is on the radio so much.. Had it been someone else who did the song it'd appear and disappear in a month.

isn't the motto tygas song, bro?

The version I have doesn't have Tyga in it.

tyga was added for the video. that's it. 

no i'm not from the bay. i'm from tahoe and went to college in santa cruz.

...but....

i've been listening to bay area rap for probably close to 20 years. dre dog, digital underground, jt & the glp, e-40, dru down, mac mall and too short been in my rotation for probably 20 years (kind of scary saying that).

that being said, i was in new york 7 of the past 9 years and missed most of the 'hyphy movement'...a lot of which i thought was just screaming for attention. the only ones i really kept up with (and thoroughly enjoyed) is/was e-40 and mac mall....

in any case, it was just a question with what i thought was a lot of evidence giving some sort of credit to the bay.

100% ON POINT!

The ONLY reason this garbage #%% song is on the radio is because the music industry is some %%#$*$$$ and ANY song Young Money pushes, will get spins NO MATTER how wack it is.  What makes me even more mad about this corny #%% industry is the fact that there's a ton of songs from the BAY AREA that sound like this but will never be heard on nationwide radio because we all know how that works.  Straight up %%#$*$$$ politics!  Radio is the lamest thing ever and they going to play this song so much and mesmerize y'all thinking this song is actually "dope."

not hyphy?

QFT

/thread

this thread is still bothering me...i'll accept the answer of 'no it doesn't validate it', but...can someone point out how this song is not hyphy?

lots of opinions with nothing to back them...

That beat is absolutely Bay Area. Even Drake's flow is Bay Area.

Does it validate hyphy? I don't know, but it's clear Drake acknowledges hyphy to an extent as acceptable.

this thread is still bothering me...i'll accept the answer of 'no it doesn't validate it', but...can someone point out how this song is not hyphy?

lots of opinions with nothing to back them...
It might be Drakes version of a hyphy song, but this one (wack) song doesnt validate the whole genre of music.  There are plenty of hyphy artists who would love to be "validated" in the eyes of mainstream American, as opposed to Drake who is already so popular that he can do it just because he want to

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

That beat is absolutely Bay Area. Even Drake's flow is Bay Area.

Does it validate hyphy? I don't know, but it's clear Drake acknowledges hyphy to an extent as acceptable.

Agreed

Back
Top Bottom