Does Nike still make heat or do they need to rely on retros

I know there is a fan base with Lebron's, Kobe's and the Hyperdunks, but is Nike really making any good looking kicks or do they have to rely on theretros to get us to buy. I remember in the 90's when Nike produced heat with new releases like the air max's, the barkley's, pippen's,penny's, Garnett's, Agassi's. Even sneakers that weren't part of a signature line were tight like the huraches. It seems like after the90's Nike didn't produce many great looking shoes, and we flock to the retro's not only cause we long for what we wanted back in the day, butbecause its better than anything else out right now. Let me know what you think.

i think the kobe IV, lebron 6, and hyperdunks look nice. 10 years from now when they retro those everybody will be calling them heat. but i get what saying, ithink we mostly buy retros because we remeber wearing the og's and the memories we had with them, atleast thats why i normaly buy retros.

GR so called non heat of today will be retroed and considered heat in the future.

I dunno I guess I am partial to older stuff, the technology is out of this world, but we have not seen a shoe with a radical look maybe since the ShoxBB4's. The Hyperdunks performance wise are great, but as far as casual wear, retro shoes just have a better look to them IMO

Originally Posted by thakickboss

i think the kobe IV, lebron 6, and hyperdunks look nice. 10 years from now when they retro those everybody will be calling them heat. but i get what saying, i think we mostly buy retros because we remeber wearing the og's and the memories we had with them, atleast thats why i normaly buy retros.

I think you're right about the memories. I buy the retros cause I couldn't afford the OG's when I was a kid but I wanted them so bad, or if myparents got me a pair, it was one pair for the whole year.

It's a matter of opinion, but I'd have to say Nike is doing pretty good. Let's see, we've got the Lebron VI, Kobe IV, Hyperdunk, the Huarache2Ks, 1/2 cent, the list goes on. Retros will always be a money maker, but I'd say Nike is still doing a great job at coming up with new ideas.

Good point on the 1/2 cent. I didn't think of those.
pimp.gif

theyll be retroing 6 rings and true flights in 10 years.

just like NIKE is bringing back our high school heat now.

i tend to stick with the classics, 1/2 cent was 1st non retro in a while.

^Besides kicks to ball in, the skylines were the only non retro that I copped in the past twelve months. Kicks of today that have that blend of modern tech andinnovative design, are few are far between. I agree though, much of the shoes that are sitting on sales racks as we speak are gonna be flying off the shelvesonce they are retroed years from now.

although the 1/2 cent isnt a retro it just has that retro look and feel to it just cuz of all the shoes in it. But yea, nike is makin crazy money offretro's but theyre making money on new products like the lebrons and kobes and stuff that most of us wouldnt even pick up but the regular consumer would.They are just catering to everyone

Nike Basketball is in a jam right now, but the runners, and acg line are maintaining just fine if not picking up speed.

Its hit and miss for nike theseays, sadly tho hits like the 1/2 cents are nestled in amongst dozens of misses. Take eastbay catalog for example, 10-15 yearsago there were many hits per year in those much looked at pages during high school, but I havent seen more than 1 pair of anything in the whole book for thepast decade I wanted to rush out and get. Mabye it just depends on the era that one grew up in? I dunno if the designers are just out of ideas or what, but ifall they can do is retro everything from the 90's then I sure wont complain if they do, so long as they do a decent job. Personally I cant wait for someretro'd command forces!
happy.gif

Here's my reasoning - give it time - it takes years & not knowing what you've got til it's gone for people to appreciate anything, let alonekicks.

This decade's heat might be the next generation's grails, but who can really say?

It'll all depend on how Nike can convince the next generation of shoeheads via marketing, psychologically tying a shoe to a particular athlete or sport(branding)

- Speaking for myself in the 30+ age range I've got chances now to cop shoes that I wasn't able to get when I was in high school 1988-1992 due to cost,opportunity, whatever.

Then when I hit my 20s I went ape@&*# on ebay & such grabbing what heat got retroed that I finally could afford BUT looking back now Nike seems torecycle the goods I seek, BUT with cheaper materials & production, a move that I am sure you will have noticed irks serious NTers to no end
tongue.gif

I am sure Nike has some more tricks up their sleeve (resting on their laurels is dangerous & stupid in today's economy) & more than ever they areretroing shoes as an insurance policy, IMO, so that the older nostalgic shoeheads will buy into their past hits & insure they stay in the red with thelikes of the Foam One retro, Bo Jackson SC Trainer, Med Ball, Air Griffey, etc.

Don't forget Nike always churns out some gradient grey AM95 retro that we collectively jizz in our pants over every year - (Safety Orange, anyone?)

Retros - like money in the bank for Nike.

Today's recent release - stocks & bonds for Nike.

Originally Posted by s dubl

GR so called non heat of today will be retroed and considered heat in the future.
That may be true but the amount of heat now I reckon will be 1/10th of the amount of heat we had way back when...look at this stuff....Nike aintall that
grin.gif

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Originally Posted by Aquatic Barefoot

Nike is living off of the golden era (91-98).

I agree.
yup...not a lot of new ideas so lets just recycle the old ones. There have been a few great looking releases but most of the releases from the 90sare much more aesthetically appealing than the majority of Nike releases since then. Of course, this is my opinion...

Originally Posted by Bombbiggidyphil

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Originally Posted by Aquatic Barefoot

Nike is living off of the golden era (91-98).

I agree.
yup...not a lot of new ideas so lets just recycle the old ones. There have been a few great looking releases but most of the releases from the 90s are much more aesthetically appealing than the majority of Nike releases since then. Of course, this is my opinion...
i agree also

if it anit a retro ir anit really that good at all

they do recycle alot of things and when they make something new they try to fuse it with another classic sneaker..they lost there creativity.

imo they def rely off retros.

nike and jordan

i do like the air max+ 2009

but those arent touching classic air maxes......im gettin them more for the performance.

Originally Posted by Uncle Sam 1013

non heat of today will be retroed and considered heat in the future.

Yeah that's crazy.

i disagree with this wholeheartedly. kobes, lebrons and HD's are considered heat?? where they do that at??
nerd.gif
i don't think that stuff is consideredheat now, so why would it be considered heat in the future?? barkleys, griffeys, agassi's, pennys, pippens, huaraches and so on were all considered heatback in the day which is why they are still considered heat now. classic is timeless and that's what those older shoes are.

the only kobes i would consider (somewhat) heat is huarache 2k4's. lebrons and HD's are not considered heat by any stretch of the imagination in mybook. for something to be considered heat it has to have some sort of casual appeal and kobes, lebrons and HD's all lack casual appeal.

Back
Top Bottom