Does it matter where i get my B.A degree from?

As someone who has actually served on graduate admissions committees at a major university and (gasp!) has a real job...

1. Your undergraduate institution probably won't make a big difference if you are essentially planning on being hired off of your post graduate studies. 
2. If you are already limited in where you can get into because of you GPA, you're in a world of hurt.
3. The school you went to will not affect the salary of a job at all.  However, the school you went to will greatly affect the number and types of jobs that you are invited to interview for.

Useful information in this thread
pimp.gif

Unless you're going into a field that requires a graduate degree immediately, I would suggest taking a break and getting your career off the ground first.  Many larger companies will assist with your education and reimburse part of it.  When I was a teller at a bank, they reimbursed me $2500 for my final semester.

Unless you're going into a field that requires a graduate degree immediately, I would suggest taking a break and getting your career off the ground first.  Many larger companies will assist with your education and reimburse part of it.  When I was a teller at a bank, they reimbursed me $2500 for my final semester.

Originally Posted by DJprestige21

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

If you want to go to graduate school then your undergraduate school will play a role in the admissions process.

This is false.

The information you obtain will matter but a kid getting a 3.9 with a 40+ on his MCAT from an average school will have a better time getting into med school than a kid going to MIT pulling a 3.2.

Basically if you are a communications major that pulls a 4.0 at a state school you will have a better chance than the ivy league kid pulling something under a 3.5. However at a state school you are less likely to get a better score on your standardized graduate school test (LSAT, GMAT, MCAT) because you will be exposed to a much more rigorous curriculum and be bombarded with way more information, this is where the ivy league kid has the advantage. 

You really think grad admissions thinks that a 4.0 at a state school is comparable to. A 3.5 from MIT, prestige is more than the name luminaries teach at these schools, there is more rigor. But ur studying business so

If you want to go to graduate school then your undergraduate school will play a role in the admissions process.

This is false.

The information you obtain will matter but a kid getting a 3.9 with a 40+ on his MCAT from an average school will have a better time getting into med school than a kid going to MIT pulling a 3.2.

Basically if you are a communications major that pulls a 4.0 at a state school you will have a better chance than the ivy league kid pulling something under a 3.5. However at a state school you are less likely to get a better score on your standardized graduate school test (LSAT, GMAT, MCAT) because you will be exposed to a much more rigorous curriculum and be bombarded with way more information, this is where the ivy league kid has the advantage. 

You really think grad admissions thinks that a 4.0 at a state school is comparable to. A 3.5 from MIT, prestige is more than the name luminaries teach at these schools, there is more rigor. But ur studying business so

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

yes it does matter, but if it's from a reputable university (like UCSD) then it shouldn't matter as much. just don't get it from devry or the university of phoenix.

False.  There are plenty of people who have obtained their undergrad and graduate degrees from primarily online colleges, i.e. University of Phoenix and they are doing very well for themselves.  Employers look at individuals.
Salary will not be jeopardized based on where you get your undergraduate degree from.  Since you are planning on graduate school, that will have more of an impact on the type of job you get.  That being said, your education will only provide you with the opportunity for more prestigious jobs and really will not play a role into your salary whatsoever.

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

yes it does matter, but if it's from a reputable university (like UCSD) then it shouldn't matter as much. just don't get it from devry or the university of phoenix.

False.  There are plenty of people who have obtained their undergrad and graduate degrees from primarily online colleges, i.e. University of Phoenix and they are doing very well for themselves.  Employers look at individuals.
Salary will not be jeopardized based on where you get your undergraduate degree from.  Since you are planning on graduate school, that will have more of an impact on the type of job you get.  That being said, your education will only provide you with the opportunity for more prestigious jobs and really will not play a role into your salary whatsoever.

*taking notes*

OP, UCSD is a great school and it's not a big drop off from UCLA. It's not like Cal Berkeley going to some community college (no diss to anyone in community college)

*taking notes*

OP, UCSD is a great school and it's not a big drop off from UCLA. It's not like Cal Berkeley going to some community college (no diss to anyone in community college)

in order of importance

1) Gre score
2) gpa
3) letters of rec
15) name of undergrad college

i went from csuf for undergrad to masters program at ucla

in order of importance

1) Gre score
2) gpa
3) letters of rec
15) name of undergrad college

i went from csuf for undergrad to masters program at ucla

Originally Posted by oO Master Chief Oo

This is false.

Even though this was hard to read.

Yes, numbers and test scores are paramount to the grad school selection process.

Originally Posted by oO Master Chief Oo

This is false.

Even though this was hard to read.

Yes, numbers and test scores are paramount to the grad school selection process.

Since we are discussing Grad school in this thread. Can anyone tell me what the best way to study for the GRE is? I'll be taking mine in September, so I have plenty of time to study but I would like to know which is the best book or materials to purchase? So far the ETS book (the one written by the makers of the test) is useless and a waste of money because you pay for the same information that they let you download offline for free. Plus it provides plenty of questions but the explanations aren't that good.

Since we are discussing Grad school in this thread. Can anyone tell me what the best way to study for the GRE is? I'll be taking mine in September, so I have plenty of time to study but I would like to know which is the best book or materials to purchase? So far the ETS book (the one written by the makers of the test) is useless and a waste of money because you pay for the same information that they let you download offline for free. Plus it provides plenty of questions but the explanations aren't that good.

basically my goal is to get my degree in economics with a emphasis on finance and business.ucsd does not offer a business admin major or a business econ. just econ. so i was planning just to go with a ucsd econ degree and pursue my mba about 5 years later.

basically my goal is to get my degree in economics with a emphasis on finance and business.ucsd does not offer a business admin major or a business econ. just econ. so i was planning just to go with a ucsd econ degree and pursue my mba about 5 years later.

Back
Top Bottom