Does anyone else feel that they talk too fast/slow?

I talk fast....especially if i'm excited 
mean.gif

I MUMBLE WHEN IM TRYING TO MAKE A POINT, I HAVE TAKEN SOME SPEECH THERAPY THAT IS HELPING.

I WAS LIVING WITH IT AND DIDNT CARE BUT THEN I KEPT ON GETTING COMPLAINTS FROM COACHES WHEN I WOULD TRY AN EXPLAIN A CALL SO I HAVE DECIDED TO CORRECT MYSELF...

AND IT IS HARD AF!
Try to find a local toastmasters club. Its a club that helps with public speaking. I was in one when I did an internship since they company had their own chapter. Its really helpful: they analyze the time you take to speak on given topics, how many times you've said 'ums' and 'awes', even the people who give you feedback get critiqued.

Breathe and practice. You might think it's way too slow, but it's probably better than you think. 

Record yourself and see how many words per minute you're speaking. Start at the top of the page, wherever you get after a minute, calculate the wpm. If you're way over 200 then you're talking way too fast. If you're below 130, then it might be obviously too slow. So practice until you're getting around 150 words per minute in your speech and try to get comfortable with that rate. Notice how it feels, how you're breathing, if and when you get tripped up don't panic and try to make up for it.

Once you get control over talking "slowly" you'll be able to slow down if you catch yourself talking too quickly and that should help out.

I talk extremely fast, and I don't realize it. My sister and grandmother both said they don't even try to make out what I say sometimes just head nod or agree and let me finish lol. When I first started at my job the manager asked me was I a rapper. :rofl: I've worked a few part time jobs in retail and people always give me a weird look or just ask me to slow down.

My main homegirl came to me to help her on her speech because she also talks to fast at her job and she spends a lot of time on the phone so she wanted me to diagnose her because speech is my field.

Most of the time it's nothing, like someone said it's anxiety or it's a feeling of getting the message out. It also has to do with conversation pace which based on the individual and the home speech lifestyle. If you come from a home where you need to shout a lot or everyone speaks fast then your going to go out into the world with those same patterns.

If anyone has any significant problems with their speech shoot me a pm.

I made a thread for people who stutter a while back so some could look through that thread as well.

Last edited:
From the north, but went to school close to the south.. And my god 
eek.gif
 night and day difference in speech patterns. I was always wanting to smack people in class, because it took so long for them to say shhh.. 

I was talking to a girl from Trinidad, she's bilingual. Me and my homie was both chopping it up with her, she said I sound like I graduated from an Ivy league compared to him 
laugh.gif
. He's from South Carolina.. 

Since childhood, all my family is from Alabama, they use to pick on us, because they said we talk too fast and "proper".. I'll take that any day..

The times I find myself stuttering is normally due to the same reasons: the word doesn't sound right so I rapidly repeat it until I like the way it sounds. Another reason I find myself stuttering is when I'm in an intense convo and I'm trying to get a word in to get my point across. When I hear myself on a recording :smh: sounds like I'm speaking another language.

What's weird is that I have absolutely NO problems with public speaking. On the microphone I'm Morgan Freeman.

I mumble and have a very stereotypical stoner voice (like you see in movies), so it's pretty hard to understand me sometimes.

Shrug

Yes! I was just thinking about this last week. I visited different hospitals for my job and I realized that while explaining what I needed to do, I was going a bit too fast. I tend to talk fast anyway. I just have to realize it might make sense to me because I know what I'm talking about, but not to the other person. I just focus on enunciating my words and talking a bit slower and that should do the trick.

ive always spoke and jump to different topics way too fast. charge it to adhd. its all good now because im getting it under control and when i consciously slow down im so on point. :smokin

I also think this happens when your thought pattern is ahead of what you want to say.

I've been told I talk too fast, but my dad side of fam all talk like me so I guess its genetics. I do make an effort to slow down with people that I meet for the first time.

I'm told I mumble, but I don't think i do. When I get excited I start talking fast and mix up my words, cant help it :lol:

Back
Top Bottom