Do you think Tiger Woods is done?

I'm not saying he's done, but it's not gonna be easy for him to catch Jack. Something to think about:

Spoiler [+]
My good friend Michael Rosenberg wrote something last week that struck me as wrong, and I could not quite figure out why. He was writing about Tiger Woods, and it began with how sick he is of reporters asking Tiger about his personal life. I agree entirely with that. But then Michael wrote this:

I have no idea how Woods will play this week. But I do believe two things:

1. The people who write him off are dead wrong.

2. Those people are doing him a favor.

Something about this just plinked off-key for me… but I wasn’t quite sure why. At first, I thought my disagreement was with his No. 2 statement: That people who are writing off Tiger Woods are doing him a favor. I don’t see that at all.

Here’s why: I’ve long thought that Tiger Woods (unlike many great athletes) does not feed off of being UNDERESTIMATED, but quite the opposite — he feeds off of being OVERESTIMATED. He has spent his entire golfing life building up an aura of invincibility — see his name come up on the leaderboard and cower in fear. When Woods is in the lead, golfers try too hard to pull off shots that are not in their bags because they know — they KNOW — that he won’t give it up. That’s his game. Rattle them. Intimidate them. Make them fear him. I have no idea how Woods would handle being underestimated, and nobody else does, either, but I don’t think it fits him at all. Tiger Woods is a frontrunner, the best in the history of golf. Every major championship he has ever won — all 14 of them — he won from the lead. He is Goliath. He has never shown even the slightest inclination for becoming David or, anyway, I haven’t seen it. I don’t think he’s suited for a slingshot.

But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it wasn’t Michael’s second point that rubbed me wrong. No. It was No. 1. He wrote: “The people who write him off are dead wrong.

I'm not saying he's done, but it's not gonna be easy for him to catch Jack. Something to think about:

Spoiler [+]
My good friend Michael Rosenberg wrote something last week that struck me as wrong, and I could not quite figure out why. He was writing about Tiger Woods, and it began with how sick he is of reporters asking Tiger about his personal life. I agree entirely with that. But then Michael wrote this:

I have no idea how Woods will play this week. But I do believe two things:

1. The people who write him off are dead wrong.

2. Those people are doing him a favor.

Something about this just plinked off-key for me… but I wasn’t quite sure why. At first, I thought my disagreement was with his No. 2 statement: That people who are writing off Tiger Woods are doing him a favor. I don’t see that at all.

Here’s why: I’ve long thought that Tiger Woods (unlike many great athletes) does not feed off of being UNDERESTIMATED, but quite the opposite — he feeds off of being OVERESTIMATED. He has spent his entire golfing life building up an aura of invincibility — see his name come up on the leaderboard and cower in fear. When Woods is in the lead, golfers try too hard to pull off shots that are not in their bags because they know — they KNOW — that he won’t give it up. That’s his game. Rattle them. Intimidate them. Make them fear him. I have no idea how Woods would handle being underestimated, and nobody else does, either, but I don’t think it fits him at all. Tiger Woods is a frontrunner, the best in the history of golf. Every major championship he has ever won — all 14 of them — he won from the lead. He is Goliath. He has never shown even the slightest inclination for becoming David or, anyway, I haven’t seen it. I don’t think he’s suited for a slingshot.

But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it wasn’t Michael’s second point that rubbed me wrong. No. It was No. 1. He wrote: “The people who write him off are dead wrong.

^

did not know that. kind of telling. even if you argue that tiger was too young to have known payne that well or been part of the boy's club by then.

^

did not know that. kind of telling. even if you argue that tiger was too young to have known payne that well or been part of the boy's club by then.

Originally Posted by MisterP0315

I damn near feel like Tiger needs to smash random chicks on a daily basis to get his mojo back.
laugh.gif
Now the that the ball and chain has been separated.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by MisterP0315

I damn near feel like Tiger needs to smash random chicks on a daily basis to get his mojo back.
laugh.gif
Now the that the ball and chain has been separated.
laugh.gif

With the way he is playing, it's like he is defitnely done.

He going to get his "stroke" back though.
laugh.gif

With the way he is playing, it's like he is defitnely done.

He going to get his "stroke" back though.
laugh.gif

I don't know. Golf is an interesting sport, but a Tiger Woods is setting himself up as one of the biggest story in sports, if he dominates again. If Tiger can figure things out mentally like Phil has, I think he'll be fine. But if he can't, it be sad it follows David Duval career.

I don't know. Golf is an interesting sport, but a Tiger Woods is setting himself up as one of the biggest story in sports, if he dominates again. If Tiger can figure things out mentally like Phil has, I think he'll be fine. But if he can't, it be sad it follows David Duval career.

Dude has been back 3 months.... Coming from losing almost everything.. Losing 90% of his endorsements.. Losing his clean cut image.. Embarrassing himself, his parents, his wife, his kids... His personal dirty laundry being aired out everyday for months... People constantly asking him about it...24/7 news round the clock about who he is !#$%%%!..... Many of his friends throwing him under the bus... Him switching swing coaches.... The lack of familiarity of playing and having to get back into the swing of things... Him being the butt of every joke... Him losing custody of his children... A messy divorce.... Settling for $750million in his divorce....

That is a lot to overcome man.....

I guarantee if this happened to anyone else (same situation and $ involved) most people would be on the verge of permanent hermit status or suicide..

You are talking about the greatest golfer of all time and one of the most clutch athletes ever, and saying he is done? In a sport where the former greatest played the PGA tour until his late 50's...

Let the man breathe and give him time to get his personal life together.. When that happens you'll see him killing the tour like he always did...

Dude has been back 3 months.... Coming from losing almost everything.. Losing 90% of his endorsements.. Losing his clean cut image.. Embarrassing himself, his parents, his wife, his kids... His personal dirty laundry being aired out everyday for months... People constantly asking him about it...24/7 news round the clock about who he is !#$%%%!..... Many of his friends throwing him under the bus... Him switching swing coaches.... The lack of familiarity of playing and having to get back into the swing of things... Him being the butt of every joke... Him losing custody of his children... A messy divorce.... Settling for $750million in his divorce....

That is a lot to overcome man.....

I guarantee if this happened to anyone else (same situation and $ involved) most people would be on the verge of permanent hermit status or suicide..

You are talking about the greatest golfer of all time and one of the most clutch athletes ever, and saying he is done? In a sport where the former greatest played the PGA tour until his late 50's...

Let the man breathe and give him time to get his personal life together.. When that happens you'll see him killing the tour like he always did...

he'll be back better than ever cause what else does he have to do

he's alone...golf is all he has now

he'll be back better than ever cause what else does he have to do

he's alone...golf is all he has now

^
Tennis is a much harder sport physically. Guys don't last very long. Agassi and guys guys that play in their mid-to-late thirties are rare. Golfers can play for an eternity.

Fed is vulnerable, but the competition hasn't been stepping up and Nadal has yet to really own hard courts in the U.S.

Still with this divorce finalized I expect to see Tiger get hot next year. Maybe even by the Ryder Cup.

^
Tennis is a much harder sport physically. Guys don't last very long. Agassi and guys guys that play in their mid-to-late thirties are rare. Golfers can play for an eternity.

Fed is vulnerable, but the competition hasn't been stepping up and Nadal has yet to really own hard courts in the U.S.

Still with this divorce finalized I expect to see Tiger get hot next year. Maybe even by the Ryder Cup.

Back
Top Bottom