Do you know anyone who has used a gun for self defense?

Do you know anyone who has used a gun for self defense?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I know a bunch of people who own guns for self defense but I have never met anyone who has needed to use one. 

No, but I would sure be happy that they had it for self defense if a situation ever arose

We need to get rid of all these guns. People need to learn how to fight. If you can't fight, you gotta learn or don't start nothing.

No, I don't.

I have a question, NT fam. How does a civilian like me go about acquiring a license to bear arms? Am I able to go to classes and what not to obtain a firearm license?

No, I don't.

I have a question, NT fam. How does a civilian like me go about acquiring a license to bear arms? Am I able to go to classes and what not to obtain a firearm license?
Depends on your state, type of firearm, and whether or not you intend on carrying it.

yeah, this one girl i went to school with, her family home was burglarized and the father shot the men. they were breaking in late at night, and knew people would be home still.

We need to get rid of all these guns. People need to learn how to fight. If you can't fight, you gotta learn or don't start nothing.
Not only is this response narrow minded, it's completely out of touch with reality.

What's reality? You get rid of the gun manufacturers.

You think Zimmerman is chasing people down if he doesn't have a gun and may get his butt kicked? You think that old guy is going to shoot that kid at the gas station if he doesn't have a gun?

You will see a lot of supposed "tough guys" tuck their tail between their legs and go home if they know they have to put in real work and not just pull a trigger.

No, I don't.
yeah, i know many people who have..myself included..

and in some stated you can get the license without taking classes...you have to take a class to get it where i live..

You think Zimmerman is chasing people down if he doesn't have a gun and may get his butt kicked? You think that old guy is going to shoot that kid at the gas station if he doesn't have a gun?
You will see a lot of supposed "tough guys" tuck their tail between their legs and go home if they know they have to put in real work and not just pull a trigger.
Reality is,  it's a very cold world out there and it is in our nature to destroy ourselves. Banning guns isn't going to protect you from an individual who wants to cause you harm. It will do the exact opposite leaving you helpless. Guns aren't going anywhere even if they were made illegal. Drugs are illegal and are very easy to obtain, you need to apply this same logic to guns. The black market exist for a reason and banning something doesn't mean it disappears. People who argue for the banishment of guns need to realize that in doing so you are giving up the right to defend yourself against those that have no regard for your philosophy on life and will have no problems taking from you when you can properly defend yourself. I do wish we lived in a world where we didn't have guns, but that's nothing more than a fantasy.

I may be the minority on this issue, but as every day passes and more and more people lose their lives, I am starting to lean towards the ban of guns. I am in the military and carry a weapon every day, don't really know if that makes a difference.

Reality is,  it's a very cold world out there and it is in our nature to destroy ourselves. Banning guns isn't going to protect you from an individual who wants to cause you harm. It will do the exact opposite leaving you helpless. Guns aren't going anywhere even if they were made illegal. Drugs are illegal and are very easy to obtain, you need to apply this same logic to guns. The black market exist for a reason and banning something doesn't mean it disappears. People who argue for the banishment of guns need to realize that in doing so you are giving up the right to defend yourself against those that have no regard for your philosophy on life and will have no problems taking from you when you can properly defend yourself. I do wish we lived in a world where we didn't have guns, but that's nothing more than a fantasy.

I agree with everything you said and here is my stance.

1) you spoke of drugs being illegal but still are able to be manufactured, IMO i dont think people are going to be running around growing and manufacturing guns in their backyards

2) Out of all the instances where guns were used to inflict harm on others, how many of those instances have it been documented people fighting back with their own guns. It seems that guns are being used more to hurt people than defending themselves. I just think people believe they are safer by owning guns.

Just my opinion

Its not about banishment but it needs to be significantly more difficult to purchase a weapon in this country...like that needs to be monitored in EVERY state, not just some places like it is now. You should only be allowed to purchase following safety classes (free but should be mandatory), and have some kind of electronic monitoring in every weapon that is sold here. Illegal weapons are a problem but yall need to realize all these people doing these mass murders purchase LEGALLY, you can closely regulate legal purchases much much more than they already do.

Responsible gun owners (who far outnumber the lunatics) should be all in favor of more stringent regulations, whats the damn rush to get a weapon for hunting? Apply in the offseason and you can have it in time for hunting season, this should be proactive not reactionary to terrible tragedies such as this. If you have a clean record and are a law abiding citizen who is competent enough to take on the significant responsibility of owning a weapon thats sole purpose is to kill, then you'll have no problem getting a gun. It shouldn't be harder to get certain sneakers, foods, or tickets for shows than a weapon. Guns come with a heavy responsibility that everyone isn't capable of upholding....yeah we all have a right but some are clearly not able to own a weapon and should not own a weapon.

But for the OP's post, my uncle has used a gun and fired on a home intruder, shot him in the leg and then 911 was called, the guy survived but he was arrested and my uncle had to obviously go to the police station to get questioned and such.....he hates that he had to use it, but it was a pistol, not a damn semi automatic weapon.

Why does ANY civilian need that type of firepower??? Ever!????

The right to bear arms is crucial because it allows citizens to protect themselves against a tyrannical government.

Do you know that the first battle of the American Revolution was fought because the British tried to confiscate gunpowder and weapons? The right to bear arms, as stated by our founding fathers, is not a right given by our government. It is a human right given to everyone by God. Where would America be had that right been infringed upon by the British government?

Just remember, bad people will find a way to achieve their deed, and a ban on weapons will do nothing to hinder their progress. But for those who follow the rules, it will make it impossible to have weapons in the right places at the right time.

Its not about banishment but it needs to be significantly more difficult to purchase a weapon in this country...

but there's always the "underground" aspect of it that will never go away. I myself know plenty of people with guns , not legally obtained but they have guns and they will never be effected by any "banishment" or new gun laws because they're off the grid essentially when it comes to the weapons they possess.

I may be the minority on this issue, but as every day passes and more and more people lose their lives, I am starting to lean towards the ban of guns. I am in the military and carry a weapon every day, don't really know if that makes a difference.

The problem with banning guns is there are already SOOOOOOOOO many out there. Even if production halted completely for the next 50 years a huge black market would still exist. Because all guns being sold would be sold illegally the most likely people to own guns would be criminals. IMO banning guns totally would make things get progressively worse for a long time to come.

I said this in another thread but, cowardly shooters always target places where guns are prohibited. Crime rates are much higher in states where guns are very hard to obtain legally. Look at Chicago... Its impossible to get a handgun legally even with no criminal record, but you got 13 y/o kids that can find you illegal bodyburners in less than an hour.

Look up statistics on the lower crime rates in states with where CC permits are allowed. Criminals will always find ways to get guns. Allowing responsible citizens to bear arms has proven to be one of the best crime deterrents because it evens the playing field and makes criminals not only question if the crime is worth the person they are trying to robs life, but also if the crime is worth their own life.

Last edited:
I agree with everything you said and here is my stance.
1) you spoke of drugs being illegal but still are able to be manufactured, IMO i dont think people are going to be running around growing and manufacturing guns in their backyards
2) Out of all the instances where guns were used to inflict harm on others, how many of those instances have it been documented people fighting back with their own guns. It seems that guns are being used more to hurt people than defending themselves. I just think people believe they are safer by owning guns.
Just my opinion

But we live in the age of 3d printers so it is possible to have a backyard gun manufacturer.

Banning guns would be a gift to the black market.

It would help them not to feel so bad about the legalization of drugs and their potential lost business.

Last edited:
The right to bear arms is crucial because it allows citizens to protect themselves against a tyrannical government.

Do you know that the first battle of the American Revolution was fought because the British tried to confiscate gunpowder and weapons? The right to bear arms, as stated by our founding fathers, is not a right given by our government. It is a human right given to everyone by God. Where would America be had that right been infringed upon by the British government?

Just remember, bad people will find a way to achieve their deed, and a ban on weapons will do nothing to hinder their progress. But for those who follow the rules, it will make it impossible to have weapons in the right places at the right time.

This is 2012 buddy. A lot has changed since then.

If someone close to you was killed in crossfire by someone who was defending themselves would people still feel the same? If your defending yourself and shoot a innocent person is that murder charge?

Back
Top Bottom